Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"

Go down 
+3
Wayne
gametheory91
ctrx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ctrx
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
ctrx

OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Empty
PostSubject: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeTue 24 Apr 2012, 2:39 pm

Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeTue 24 Apr 2012, 4:09 pm

This is really good...
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

Although I still plan to buy this, I'm going to listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

Good but a disappointment in my opinion. Apollo Brown hasn't changed anything about his approach to making a beat. I actually thought it was pretty funny how much some of these beats sounded just like beats on Daily Bread, Clouds, etc. OC is a bit too chill on the mic as well. This isn't bad but it could have been so much more.

Prove Me Wrong is one of my favorite tracks of the year though.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

Half wrote:
Good but a disappointment in my opinion. Apollo Brown hasn't changed anything about his approach to making a beat. I actually thought it was pretty funny how much some of these beats sounded just like beats on Daily Bread, Clouds, etc. OC is a bit too chill on the mic as well. This isn't bad but it could have been so much more.

I'm listening to it now and I'm LOVING it. Prove Me Wrong is dope as hell. I know I'm buying this one.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 8:50 pm

His tribute/remake of DOC's classic "The Formula" is excellent.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeWed 25 Apr 2012, 9:07 pm

Well, after listening to this, I'm VERY impressed with this one overall. My rating for this is a solid 4.5 stars, as the lyrics and production are both on point. Can't wait to add this to my collection.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

I like the way this album sounds...

O.C. lyrically is a beast as usual, and Apollo Brown has decent production but he sounds alot like a 9th Wonder rip off which is actually a compliment because 9th is extremely dope IMO.....they use similar sounding drums and patterns....
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

I agree Apollo Brown is a lot like 9th. I also hear some of Black Milk's future-type, mechanical drum sounds in AB's other stuff. Haven't heard this, though.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeThu 26 Apr 2012, 10:51 pm

Half wrote:

Daily Bread and Trophies both have beats from Clouds. Probably why you feel that way...haha.

This is also gonna take some time to fully digest. It's a very serious record and most of the songs follow the 3 verse and a chorus/hook formula with no guest features. Favorites right now are The Pursuit, Options, Signs.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeFri 27 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

gametheory91 wrote:
Half wrote:

Daily Bread and Trophies both have beats from Clouds. Probably why you feel that way...haha.

This is also gonna take some time to fully digest. It's a very serious record and most of the songs follow the 3 verse and a chorus/hook formula with no guest features. Favorites right now are The Pursuit, Options, Signs.

Haha well my bad about the Clouds thing. But I mean even tracks that he used on Daily Bread sound like tracks on this album. Like the beat for "Higher" sounds a lot like the beat for "Anotha One". It's not that his beats are bad but when you have heard the same exact style over the past four releases it's kinda bothersome to me. I can see the 9th Wonder comparisons but 9th had much more variety in his sound when he was in his prime.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeFri 27 Apr 2012, 4:25 pm

I see what you mean, and I understand the 9th Wonder comparisons. I agree that both of their sounds can start to sound the same but they both have extremely dope material that ain't gonna get old to me anytime soon. They both also have pretty forgettable material. But I still frequently listen to The Formula, Daily Bread, Death of a Popstar, Minstrel Show, 3:16, Clouds.....
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitimeFri 05 Oct 2012, 8:59 pm

heard the samples, i'm planning to get this despite its slightly high price tag, and being in a digipack Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"   OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OC & Apollo Brown "Trophies"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: New Skool Hip Hop-
Jump to: