Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

El-P: Cancer 4 Cure

Go down 
+5
Half
Dang! Trotter
E. Taylor
T. Myers
parker lewis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Empty
PostSubject: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeThu 24 May 2012, 8:57 am

He did it again...

El-P takes you back to the dark nightmarish world he created with ISWYD. Another completely submersive experience... I feel like John Connor when this music's in the headphones. Don't misunderstand, there's plenty of originality on this, a lot of new tricks under the trucker hat. I am amazed by the creativity and imagination most of all. Who else in hip-hop can actually transport the listener to a fantastical science-fiction alternate dimension?

I won't bother with an official rating yet, but there will have to be a serious drop in interest for this album to suffer any hit at all.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeThu 24 May 2012, 12:59 pm

Yeah, it's a very good album. It's certainly his most accessible album to date.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 26 May 2012, 7:06 pm

This album is amazing... gunning for AOTY, easy so far.

Where yer at, Half?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeWed 30 May 2012, 10:34 pm

Mr Exsquire or whatever his name is kills his verse on Hail No.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeThu 31 May 2012, 1:24 am

Went to get this today and my FYE of course didn't have it. I had hope since they had the El-p/Killer Mike album. Oh well, guess I'll order it.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeThu 31 May 2012, 5:06 pm

Yeah, I'm downloading this right now.....legally ofcourse. El-P is like Apathy,Tommy Gunn, BusDriver, to me..I dont wait to cop their albums...I swiftly react.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeThu 31 May 2012, 11:18 pm

parker lewis wrote:
This album is amazing... gunning for AOTY, easy so far.

Where yer at, Half?

Well I would rate/review it but I've only listened to it through once so far. Gotta give it that second listen at least to get a sense of replay value, let tracks grow on me (or conversely sound worse), etc.

But from one listen, I like it, but not more than his first two solos... or any full-length project where he handled most of the production. I think I enjoy RAP Music more but I've only listened to that once all the way through so far as well ha

Tracks that stood out to me
Request Denied
The Full Retard
Drones Over BKLYN
Tougher Colder Killer (very awkward chorus but I like the rapid-fire sptting by Mike and Despot)
Stay Down (possibly his most "pop" track ever?)

Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jun 2012, 5:35 am

I hate to say it, but this album was mediocre. I dont know what album Parker listened to. Parker said he felt like John Conner when listening to it --yeah, the pussy John Conner from Terminator 3. And thats me being generous. This is nowhere near the level of I'll Sleep...thats like comparing Reakwon's OB4CL to Immobolarity. I havent been this disappointed with an artist 3rd album since Aceyalone's Accepted Eclectic. Wait, that album was decent it just sucked compared to Ace's first 2 offerings. C4C is just El-P asleep at the helm. The beats sound like some playstation shit, they run-on and sound similair like the repeated backgrounds of old Hanna-Barbarra cartoons. El-Ps lyrics were lackluster too. When did El-P repeat his hooks so fucken much? And he had some weak concepts. "Drones over Brooklyn, Drones over brooklyn"
Why have that annoying voice repeat that phrase. His rhymes were slow and simple.

There's no Deep Space 9 Millimeter, Laser Face Warning, no League of Extraordinary Nobodies, no, we get "Drones over Brooklyn, Drones over brooklyn"--bah!

The fact El-P hasnt dropped an album since 2007 makes this rubbish even harder to digest. I liken my eardrums to a woman . Fantastic Damage gave her a good fucking. I'll Sleep...is a good fucking mixed with Kamasutra . This is like a 2 minute nut job
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

The fact that you like FanDam kind of highlights our differences on C4C. I can't stand that, but I think ISWYD is basically perfect. I hear similarities to that album in this one, albeit a bit of a drop overall. I have no problem with the dubstep/rock influences on this... even though I expect it will turn some folks away.

On another note, have you heard the new Billy Woods yet, trotter? It's available through Backwoodz only, as far as I can tell. There's a video on YouTube for 'Duck Hunt'... amazing album.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

Whoa, you don't like Fantastic Damage? FD did have a slow start, I had mix feelings while listening to the first half of the LP but then that album took off like a fighter plane the B Side is better than the A side. But the more a listen to FD the more I just love all the songs. C4C isn't wack by no means. But it doesn't have that kick. El-P is good at making those crazy unusual songs. Like his writing process is to make 3 songs then mesh those 3 songs into one song as the finished product. League of Extrodanary Nobodies is a good example of that. Its like you hear his song take off but you don't know how they're going to land. In C4C the songs land the same way they take off. Also theres no mind boggling verses like in The Nang or Dear Sirs.

Ill check that Billy Woods out
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

I just revisited, the Woods album has pretty officially kicked El-P out of rotation for the foreseeable future.

I stand by opinion on C4C. I think it's excellent. And, as much as I like it, it can't fuck with 'History Will Absolve Me'.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

Maybe I underestimated El's genious on this one. True not as deep as the other 2 albums this one here you can play over and over without it getting old. Like all the songs blend in together and he wanted that effect. Easy listening...hmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 9:23 pm

Not too sure about this release. The first time I played it I really thought it would become an album I'd love. But after 2 more listens, I'm sort of bored with it already. The progression seemed cool at first, but, meh... Fantastic Damage will probably always be my favorite El-P album.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 07 Jul 2012, 2:18 am

Alan wrote:
Fantastic Damage will probably always be my favorite El-P album.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 07 Jul 2012, 6:25 pm

Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Fantastic Damage will probably always be my favorite El-P album.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSun 12 Aug 2012, 7:46 pm

I decided to try something different since I liked Killer Mike's "Rap Music". I started with I'll Sleep When You're Dead and that was just too much for me. It was nothing that was whack, it was just too different from what I usually listen to. Cancer 4 Cure is something that I can see myself revisiting in the future after checking this out on Spotify. I'll Sleep When You're Dead may have just been too complex for me to understand where Cancer 4 Cure is easier for me to follow. ....Just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSun 12 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

El-P, to me, is one of those dudes that makes me realize just how different people's tastes can be. I gave I'll Sleep When You're Dead a spin after seeing it praised a lot on Amazon and it wasn't for me either. However, I loved his work on Can Ox's Cold Vein. I tried out Cancer 4 Cure recently and wasn't feeling that one either. And I don't think that RAP Music is as good as everyone else seems to. Killa Kill holds it down of course, but I thought the beats were conflicting for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 6:46 am

C4C is his most accessible album but unfortunately its his weakest
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

being El-P's weakest is still a compliment for most artists haha. Id rate his first two over this as well but this album is no slouch it is a solid 4 stars easily for me, lots of great tracks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 08 Dec 2012, 1:51 pm

parker lewis wrote:
He did it again...

El-P takes you back to the dark nightmarish world he created with ISWYD. Another completely submersive experience... I feel like John Connor when this music's in the headphones. Don't misunderstand, there's plenty of originality on this, a lot of new tricks under the trucker hat. I am amazed by the creativity and imagination most of all. Who else in hip-hop can actually transport the listener to a fantastical science-fiction alternate dimension?

I won't bother with an official rating yet, but there will have to be a serious drop in interest for this album to suffer any hit at all.

This review forced me to listen to it again you make it sound so fucking amazing!

I love it but not as much as you by the sounds of it. I was sober as well and you sound like you were smoking weed/crack/injecting heroin into the eye of your penis

How do you rate it now? I have it in the 4 to 4.5 range. El-P has only made classic or near classic material his whole career
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 08 Dec 2012, 2:00 pm

I still hold it around 4... I disagree on your opinion of his catalog. I really didn't care for anything he did until ISWYD.

I'm always blazed. Thought we covered that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 08 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

No go on Co Flow?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 08 Dec 2012, 2:34 pm

im very clever how that rhymed
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitimeSat 08 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

I forgot about this album
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure   El-P: Cancer 4 Cure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

El-P: Cancer 4 Cure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: