Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food & Liquor II

Go down 
+8
SteveT
Shaun
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
D.Powell
Dang! Trotter
Half
Wayne
Tic706
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2012, 12:23 pm

Thoughts, ratings, etc etc?
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

The following comments are straight from the brief review I posted on my blog:

After the disappointment that was the "Lasers" album, Lupe Fiasco returns with his fourth album, "Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1". One of the first things that came to mind when I saw this title is there's no way he'll come close to matching the quality of that album, but he almost pulls it off. Putting his social and political views to the side, the Lupe on this album is the artist that was NOT present on the "Lasers" album, and he delivers quality material here. He hasn't sounded this inspired since 2007's "The Cool" and it works. Highlights include "Strange Fruition" (featuring Casey Benjamin), "ITAL (Roses)", "Audubon Ballroom", "Heart Donor" (featuring Poo Bear), "Battle Scars" (featuring Guy Sebastian), and "Bitch Bad", which really has to be heard to be appreciated. What works on this album his the very production (courtesy of names like The Runners, 1500 or Nothin, etc), not too mention the excellent lyricism of Lupe Fiasco. There are quite a few hooks on this album that are sung, but please don't let that fool you. It perfectly fits the tone of this album well and it's NOT a blatant attempt at radio/video play or mainstream/commercial success. Overall, this is an excellent, clearly better than 2011's "Lasers" and RIGHT on par with his first two albums. A job well done and by the time you finish reading this, it'll be part of my collection! Today's generation NEED to hear an album like this, but with all due respect, everything Lupe says will probably go over their heads. No disappointment here, and this deserves to be on any Best Albums of 2012 list, and I can't wait for Part 2.

Rating- 4.5 stars
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

I'm gonna listen to this later tonight and probably shit on it but I'm an open minded guy so maybe it will surprise me.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 12:41 am

This album fucking sucks

It's better than Lasers but barely

2 stars homie
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 4:41 am

Lupe sucks
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 7:29 am

more 2012 trash can material huh??? Laughing My Ass Off
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

Dope ass album. Lupe is on another level lyrically on this one. Top 5 of 2012. It is a tad long winded so that is the only small gripe I have with it.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

Half wrote:
This album fucking sucks

It's better than Lasers but barely

2 stars homie

This has to be pure hate right here. 2 stars? Stick to that weirdo underground bonk shit please.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 1:05 pm

I agree with Kev here, that Lupe is dope (not Food & Liquor or the Cool dope, but it's at least 4 stars dope). Top 7-10ish for this year for this listener, there's been a BUNCH of dope shit to drop so far, and there's still three more months left! Fuck an Ol' Man Powell!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 3:06 pm

I'm not a hater, you guys are dickriders. The album started off with a couple of decent tracks, and Put Em Up and Hood Now are the only other decent tracks. Everything else has either weak beats, awful choruses, weak lines, or a combination of the three. If you're seriously giving this more than 4 stars you have no business calling anyone haters. Shallow political commentary and flat boring beats does not result in a good album in my opinion. I guess I could understand people liking it if they fell asleep after strange fruition and woke up at the end of the album.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

Half wrote:
I'm not a hater, you guys are dickriders. The album started off with a couple of decent tracks, and Put Em Up and Hood Now are the only other decent tracks. Everything else has either weak beats, awful choruses, weak lines, or a combination of the three. If you're seriously giving this more than 4 stars you have no business calling anyone haters. Shallow political commentary and flat boring beats does not result in a good album in my opinion. I guess I could understand people liking it if they fell asleep after strange fruition and woke up at the end of the album.

I don't dick ride. Wouldn't know how to do that being a man and all. Real rec real and this bs you saying does not look familiar. You think the production on Vakill debut album is good-great but shit on the beats on this album? Thats very suspect of hater type shit. I don't have a problem with you not being in luv with this album but 2 stars looks like a real blind rating. Like that Vakill debut album beat and hook wise is below average to weak for the most part but its still not 2 stars.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

Chipper Jones wrote:
I agree with Kev here, that Lupe is dope (not Food & Liquor or the Cool dope, but it's at least 4 stars dope). Top 7-10ish for this year for this listener, there's been a BUNCH of dope shit to drop so far, and there's still three more months left! Fuck an Ol' Man Powell!

ummm fuck a Geological Tranny....your tastes in hip-hop has been toliet bowl material to me ever since you said you've never heard any Run-D.M.C. and EPMD and you weren't interested in hearing any either and also said that Geologic was a "Goat"???? Get The Fuck Out

I only fuck with you on the r&b tip....there your knowledge is at least "respectable"......

Last edited by D.Powell on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

Tic706 wrote:
Half wrote:

I don't dick ride. Wouldn't know how to do that being a man and all. Real rec real and this bs you saying does not look familiar. You think the production on Vakill debut album is good-great but shit on the beats on this album? Thats very suspect of hater type shit. I don't have a problem with you not being in luv with this album but 2 stars looks like a real blind rating. Like that Vakill debut album beat and hook wise is below average to weak for the most part but its still not 2 stars.

Yeah I sincerely like the style of beats on his debut. Hard-hitting drums, cool loops, and small sound effects that add flavor to the basic structure of the beat. They propel the tracks forward and match with Vakill's aggressive style perfectly. On this album, outside of a couple of tracks the beats sound surprisingly flat and don't pop out at you. Most of them have either a generic electro-pop vibe to them or a ridiculously melodramatic sound, but lupe stays mostly laid back in his style over the beats and never sounds genuinely concerned about the problems of the world he casually discusses like someone who just woke up and started paraphrasing CNN articles they are reading off of their diamond-studded smart phone. I actually agree with a lot of the points Lupe has to make on tracks like Bitch Bad or Lamborghini Angels, but the music and delivery of those points sounds like it's aiming for the teenage kids that loved Recovery and the last B.o.B album. That sound of hip-hop is so cheesy, boring and irritating to me and I can't support it.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

Half wrote:
Tic706 wrote:
Half wrote:

Yeah I sincerely like the style of beats on his debut. Hard-hitting drums, cool loops, and small sound effects that add flavor to the basic structure of the beat. They propel the tracks forward and match with Vakill's aggressive style perfectly. On this album, outside of a couple of tracks the beats sound surprisingly flat and don't pop out at you. Most of them have either a generic electro-pop vibe to them or a ridiculously melodramatic sound, but lupe stays mostly laid back in his style over the beats and never sounds genuinely concerned about the problems of the world he casually discusses like someone who just woke up and started paraphrasing CNN articles they are reading off of their diamond-studded smart phone. I actually agree with a lot of the points Lupe has to make on tracks like Bitch Bad or Lamborghini Angels, but the music and delivery of those points sounds like it's aiming for the teenage kids that loved Recovery and the last B.o.B album. That sound of hip-hop is so cheesy, boring and irritating to me and I can't support it.

I figured it was just a sound you are against more so than anything else. I don't think the production on F&L II is all that either. So let me make that clear. Its ranges from real decent to good. Some of the hooks were generic also. I am mostly into the lyrics and subject matter of this album. Plus i'm sure Lasers being such a let down has a lot to do with this album sounding that much better.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 4:57 pm

This is Kev were talking about. I bet he doesn't like Chino's Ricanstruction thats if he'll take the time to listen. Theres alot of sub-par shit he likes, and a lot of stellar shit he don't like. For example: He wasn't impressed by Duality by K-Rino even though most people on Earth says its one of the best rap songs ever
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 6:08 pm

" For example: He wasn't impressed by Duality by K-Rino even though most people on Earth says its one of the best rap songs ever"

lol
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

I think less than 10,000 people on this earth even know who K-Rino is.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

And 9,000 of them are SRP's relatives
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeWed 03 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

I don't know how anyone can take Lupe seriously. He's got all the social activism of a 9th grade wanna-be-hippie. I think he just hits up talking points to seem 'deep' but really has no idea what the shit he's talking about.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeSat 13 Oct 2012, 9:02 pm

Top 5 of 2012? It's dope but not that dope Kev. It is clearly an improvement over Lasers.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitimeSat 13 Oct 2012, 11:28 pm

parker lewis wrote:
I don't know how anyone can take Lupe seriously. He's got all the social activism of a 9th grade wanna-be-hippie. I think he just hits up talking points to seem 'deep' but really has no idea what the shit he's talking about.

I do like this album waaaay better than Lasers but what Parker said is my general impression of Lupe. Honestly, it's my general impression of most artists that try to "teach" their listeners. I would rather listen to some straight up ignorant, fun shit (Project Pat) than some boring ass, soft ass nerd that regurgitates sociopolitical talking points. I read and go to school to learn. I listen to music to be entertained.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food & Liquor II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Liquor II   Food & Liquor II Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food & Liquor II
Page 1 of 1