Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The best albums come like a thief in the night

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

The best albums come like a thief in the night Empty
PostSubject: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeSun 21 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

So the new Kendrick album wasn't the God LP people were hoping. They thought the album was gonna change the world but it didn't. People shouldve figured it out now that the best albums sneak up on us like a thief in the night. Using Kamar as an example Section 80 snuck up on us. Albums that have that over-the-top anticipation and major push hardly ever lives up to its expectations. These albums are hardly revolutionary or extraordinary. The last album that had a barometer shaking buzz and actually broke the water pipes when it was released was Snoop Dog's Doggystyle. Some people say 50cent's GRODT exceeded all expectations,but I don't know. Yeah, there's albums that get minor buzz and got our stomachs full like Gangstars "Moment Of Truth" and GFK's Supreme Clientele, but I just wanna focus on those mainstream pop-bopper piss-n-your-pants with excitement kinda albums. They hardly ever deliver like Rick Ross's GFID. And I'm waiting for Detox to be underwhelming. But using Dre as an example the Chronic snuck up on us. The album hardly had any buzz before it came out. The buzz started once everyone found out how good it was.
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeSun 21 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

That's true nowadays. Early-mid 90s not the case at all.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeSun 21 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

SteveT wrote:
That's true nowadays. Early-mid 90s not the case at all.

In the 90's hip hop wasn't synonymous POP. In order for a rapper to get a buzz it has to be in the pop-world. In the 90's the popworld didn't care about RedMan, Nas, Wu Tang even though their albums went gold or more. Tupac and Biggie had pop attention though. But its impossible for a rapper to go Gold w/o pop radio
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeSun 21 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

lol. yes rap was pop then too.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeSun 21 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
So the new Kendrick album wasn't the God LP people were hoping. They thought the album was gonna change the world but it didn't. People shouldve figured it out now that the best albums sneak up on us like a thief in the night. Using Kamar as an example Section 80 snuck up on us. Albums that have that over-the-top anticipation and major push hardly ever lives up to its expectations. These albums are hardly revolutionary or extraordinary. The last album that had a barometer shaking buzz and actually broke the water pipes when it was released was Snoop Dog's Doggystyle. Some people say 50cent's GRODT exceeded all expectations,but I don't know. Yeah, there's albums that get minor buzz and got our stomachs full like Gangstars "Moment Of Truth" and GFK's Supreme Clientele, but I just wanna focus on those mainstream pop-bopper piss-n-your-pants with excitement kinda albums. They hardly ever deliver like Rick Ross's GFID. And I'm waiting for Detox to be underwhelming. But using Dre as an example the Chronic snuck up on us. The album hardly had any buzz before it came out. The buzz started once everyone found out how good it was.

I agree 100 percent with you regarding Kendrick's new album. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was something on "Section 80" that I liked more than anything on his new album. I'm so glad I didn't buy it, as Vinnie Paz's new album is next on my list.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeMon 22 Oct 2012, 5:36 pm

Great points Trotter. I pretty much agree that most of the time the albums that have all the hyoe behind them end up lackluster. Most of the albums I feel are classic did not have a lot of pre hype prior to their release.

The question now is it our fault for haivng all these pre-conceptions and buying into the machine and the music dosn't stand a chance anyway because no album can live up to that much hype?
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeMon 22 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

It's just not true.

All Eyez on Me, Makaveli? Massive hype. Ready to Die? Massive hype. It's Dark and Hell is Hot? Massive hype. Chronic 2001? Massive hype.

I could go on for ages. You guys are pretending hip-hop a. wasn't pop back then, and b. massive hype often meant a great album back then.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeMon 22 Oct 2012, 8:28 pm

SteveT wrote:
It's just not true.

All Eyez on Me, Makaveli? Massive hype. Ready to Die? Massive hype. It's Dark and Hell is Hot? Massive hype. Chronic 2001? Massive hype.

I could go on for ages. You guys are pretending hip-hop a. wasn't pop back then, and b. massive hype often meant a great album back then.

I see what you mean. And there is truth to what you are saying. But remember these albums were not the only albums being hyped. There were multiple albums that people were looking forward too so that takes some of the mass hype down some notches. These days we are lucky if one album gains just a little hype. Also look at most hip hop heads top 5 or 10 fav albums of all time. Usually there is not many mass hyped albums on that list.
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeMon 22 Oct 2012, 8:36 pm

Yeah but back then can you really name any bad albums getting massive hype that sucked? Even albums like Ma$e or Puff Daddy albums were actually good.

Nowadays I 100% agree if anybody on TV/radio/whatever besides a forum like this hypes it, it's probably gonna suck.

Great albums still release that DESERVE hype, like Life is Good, Trophies, R.A.P. Music, etc. but you don't see it.

It's also psychological - if you're expecting greatness and get only good, you're gonna view that as worse than expecting nothing or terrible and getting the same quality.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012, 7:18 am

Simmer down White boy Steve. In the 90s this topic is debatable. But for every DoggyStyle there was a Low End Theory. There were atleast a classic thief for each classic album with the hoorah. But post 2000 not even close. Look at the most recently hyped albums that failed.
Cruel Summer, God Forgives I Don't, every 50 album after GRODT, Relapse, Recovery, MayBach Music Group album, Cole World.

Lets look at the most recent albums that were daam near classic: Section 80, Ricanstruction, Cape Verde, WuTang vs Shoalin, Trophies, Distant Relatives.
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012, 12:06 pm

You think Low End Theory was a thief?!?!?! LMAO. Black boy Trotter, did you listen to rap then? People's Instinctive Travels put them on the map, and that album was expected to be great.

Also, your recent list of near classic albums is hit or miss, but notice I am not disputing that it is that way now.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012, 4:16 pm

SteveT wrote:
You think Low End Theory was a thief?!?!?! LMAO. Black boy Trotter, did you listen to rap then? People's Instinctive Travels put them on the map, and that album was expected to be great.

Also, your recent list of near classic albums is hit or miss, but notice I am not disputing that it is that way now.

What kind of buzz are you thinking of? I'm talking about pissing-in-your-pants excitement like Doggystyle. Low End Theory didn't have close to that type of buzz. People were expecting LET to be good that same way people were expecting Das Efx's SUS to be good.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best albums come like a thief in the night   The best albums come like a thief in the night Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The best albums come like a thief in the night
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: