Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Top 5, Top 10, or Neither
Top 5
68%
 68% [ 13 ]
Top 10
16%
 16% [ 3 ]
Neither
16%
 16% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19
 

AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sat 25 Jul 2009, 9:36 pm

Steve wrote:
no it didnt kj, no it didnt.

Dude, you even admitted that you weren't heavily into it until around 1993. Well I've been heavily into it since the early 80's. I remember clearly that people were bumpin the hell out of that album.

What that link was saying was that sure, they were criticized by many for being a novelty act, but Licensed To Ill was recognized WIDELY as a classic. If it wasn't considered a classic back then, why would people call it one now??

To this day, it's Columbia Records' fastest selling debut album in history, and ALL of those sales didn't come from white people. Maybe a little over half at best.

Paul's Boutique was the one that was commercially slept on. It was (and still is) critically acclaimed but didn't sell quite as much as their debut.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sat 25 Jul 2009, 9:44 pm

KJ, you cant name an underground rapper before 2006, so i think your claim is BS....PLENTY of albums have gone on to be classics without original consideration, so you sound dumb for even arguing that.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sat 25 Jul 2009, 9:45 pm

Steve wrote:
KJ, you cant name an underground rapper before 2006, so i think your claim is BS....PLENTY of albums have gone on to be classics without original consideration, so you sound dumb for even arguing that.

The Source did an entire issue where they went back and awarded certain albums 5 mics.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sat 25 Jul 2009, 9:46 pm

Around my parts Beasties Boys were not talked about like that. Matter of fact they were looked at like a Weird Al type thing and taken with a grain of salt. Fight For Your Right and No Sleep had heavy rock influence and cats was not bumpin that as a whole in the rap community. I have been listening to rap since the late 80's and no one around me was playing that shit. They were looked at like how Elvis ripped off Chuck Berry by them being marketed like a white RunDMC. There singles got luv on MTV but no one I knew had their albums. But then again I was raised around all black people so it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 1:10 am

T. Myers wrote:
Steve wrote:
KJ, you cant name an underground rapper before 2006, so i think your claim is BS....PLENTY of albums have gone on to be classics without original consideration, so you sound dumb for even arguing that.

The Source did an entire issue where they went back and awarded certain albums 5 mics.

I can name SEVERAL underground MC's before '06, It's just that I don't have 70% of them on my GOAT list like you do.

As for the Source, who fuckin cares! That mag lost it's credibility back in the Benzino era and still hasn't fully regained it.


Last edited by KJ Styles on Sun 26 Jul 2009, 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 1:11 am

KRob86 wrote:
Around my parts Beasties Boys were not talked about like that. Matter of fact they were looked at like a Weird Al type thing and taken with a grain of salt. Fight For Your Right and No Sleep had heavy rock influence and cats was not bumpin that as a whole in the rap community. I have been listening to rap since the late 80's and no one around me was playing that shit. They were looked at like how Elvis ripped off Chuck Berry by them being marketed like a white RunDMC. There singles got luv on MTV but no one I knew had their albums. But then again I was raised around all black people so it is what it is.

I guess it's an East Coast thing then, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 1:07 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Around my parts Beasties Boys were not talked about like that. Matter of fact they were looked at like a Weird Al type thing and taken with a grain of salt. Fight For Your Right and No Sleep had heavy rock influence and cats was not bumpin that as a whole in the rap community. I have been listening to rap since the late 80's and no one around me was playing that shit. They were looked at like how Elvis ripped off Chuck Berry by them being marketed like a white RunDMC. There singles got luv on MTV but no one I knew had their albums. But then again I was raised around all black people so it is what it is.

I guess it's an East Coast thing then, but whatever.

Lots of stuff is strictly east coast, but you and Powell still like to presume it's worldwide.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 1:08 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Steve wrote:
KJ, you cant name an underground rapper before 2006, so i think your claim is BS....PLENTY of albums have gone on to be classics without original consideration, so you sound dumb for even arguing that.

The Source did an entire issue where they went back and awarded certain albums 5 mics.

I can name SEVERAL underground MC's before '06, It's just that I don't have 70% of them on my GOAT list like you do.

As for the Source, who fuckin cares! That mag lost it's credibility back in the Benzino era and still hasn't fully regained it.

that may be true, but the Source still had crediblity when that issue came out.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 4:27 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
I understand all that. But I'm not (only) talking about popularity. I was talking about critical respect. I wouldn't really care who was sticking up their nose at them at the time (purists perhaps?). I would care if it's critically excellent, which the Beastie Boys were IMO. But even talking about popularity, 1986 popularity is much more respectable than 2009 popularity.

Unlike you, I would ask a rock fan what hip-hop albums that they like. Because I like rock too, and I'd like to hear their take on hip-hop. I do that with all genres and fans all the time even to this day. lol

Al, that's the point I'm trying to make.

In terms of critical acclaim, there was none for their debut. They hit big on the pop airwaves with "Fight For Your Right..." That single propelled them into the forefront. There was no acclaim for the debut album. Pee Wee Herman or Pauly Shore could've dropped the same song and got the same result. They get critical acclaim now, yes, but not when that album dropped. It was panned by anyone with a discerning ear. Their gimmick was the main reason Paul's Boutique was so heavily ignored in the first place. Sure, we all recognize it as a good album, but respect didn't start coming in bundles until Check Your Head came out. I think you're failing to recognize the chronological aspect of this. Sure, they're hailed as great now, but they weren't at first. It took a gimmick free album to do that.

http://mog.com/music/Beastie_Boys/bio

That link most accurately details their ride...especially for those that were watching and listening as it was taking place.

And maybe I worded that wrong, but I'd sooner consult a rap fan than a rock fan if I want to know about rap music. But that's very far from the point...

I knew you were trying to make that point before, but I guess I didn't think it was true for quite a few reasons. But if you say so....I was 5 at the time.

I figured they still had received critical acclaim and respect from many critics for their debut album, despite what rap purists thought (gimmicky, novelty act, etc.)...

You see, I would never (maybe on rare occasion) trust a hip-hop purist's opinion of the Beastie Boys since they were essentially a crossover success. Crossovers are not something purists like. Purists do not hold more weight than those who can appreciate all the influences going on when speaking of a said artist. It's bias. I wouldn't ask Steve who his favorite white rapper is, just like I would ask Kev for flower hip-hop recs. There had to be a group of intelligent people that respected and loved the art the Beastie Boys made back then.

Moreover, I don't see how "Licensed To Ill" is a gimmicky album like you state in your last sentence. I mean, these guys brought a huge punk influence to their music. Is that supposed to be a gimmick? Humor? Gimmick too? Sophomorish lyrics? Punk or gimmick? Brought hip-hop to white suburbia? Gimmick? Really? Exploiting hip-hop? Not buying it.

Perhaps you are just stating the facts of what some people thought back in 1986 (as well as the thoughts from that bio link), but I don't see how some of these things were not blatantly obvious to a large group of people.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 6:38 pm

I give up, dude. You're clearly not getting it...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Sun 26 Jul 2009, 6:43 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
I give up, dude. You're clearly not getting it...

What? lol

I would think KJ would think similarly if you read his posts. I'm talking about dudes like him who had respect for them when their debut dropped. I didn't say they were the majority. I do get what you're saying.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Mon 27 Jul 2009, 8:20 pm

I just want to chime in and say that although Run-DMC were the pioneers, their music does not stand the test of time as well as that of the Beastie Boys.......at least, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Mon 27 Jul 2009, 10:45 pm

AFutureWithoutAPast wrote:
I just want to chime in and say that although Run-DMC were the pioneers, their music does not stand the test of time as well as that of the Beastie Boys.......at least, in my opinion.

While both are top 10 from the east IMO, I agree. The Run-DMC sounds more dated to me. I still feel their first 4 are classics, and I play them a good amount, but not as much as the Beastie Boys.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Mon 27 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm

RUN DMC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beastie Boys
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Mon 27 Jul 2009, 10:53 pm



I know I know, we all have have our favorites.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Mon 27 Jul 2009, 11:26 pm

I disagree that Run-DMC's music doesn't stand the test of time. I feel that their albums are equally as timeless as the Beastie's are, especially their self titled debut, King Of Rock, and Raising Hell.

Raising Hell is among my Top 10 albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Mon 27 Jul 2009, 11:32 pm

I'm not sure how Run DMC's music even became the focus. smh

Also, Licensed To Ill and Paul's Boutique sound quite dated. Even some tracks on Check Your Head sound dated.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 10:19 am

KJ Styles wrote:
I disagree that Run-DMC's music doesn't stand the test of time. I feel that their albums are equally as timeless as the Beastie's are, especially their self titled debut, King Of Rock, and Raising Hell.

Raising Hell is among my Top 10 albums of all time.

I don't think anyone said Run-DMC albums did not stand the test of time, KJ. Take a look at the posts again.

I still feel Run-DMC records sound more dated. Not like I care. I listen to them all the time, and plenty of other artists with a much more dated sound.

"I'm not sure how Run DMC's music even became the focus. smh

Also, Licensed To Ill and Paul's Boutique sound quite dated. Even some tracks on Check Your Head sound dated."

Does it matter? lol

Those records may sound dated, but not as dated as Run-DMC's first 3 IMO...not by a decent margin.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 10:54 am

Alan wrote:
Does it matter? lol

When we're discussing the Beastie Boys, yes, it does matter. One, because no one accused them of sounding dated up until that point and 2) because the topic an focus ain't Run DMC's music, it's the Beastie Boys' music. It looks like a deflection from my POV.

Alan wrote:
Those records may sound dated, but not as dated as Run-DMC's first 3 IMO...not by a decent margin.

You're splitting hairs now, Al. They both sound dated, so now we reach for who sounds more dated? lol
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 11:04 am

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
Does it matter? lol

When we're discussing the Beastie Boys, yes, it does matter. One, because no one accused them of sounding dated up until that point and 2) because the topic an focus ain't Run DMC's music, it's the Beastie Boys' music. It looks like a deflection from my POV.

Alan wrote:
Those records may sound dated, but not as dated as Run-DMC's first 3 IMO...not by a decent margin.

You're splitting hairs now, Al. They both sound dated, so now we reach for who sounds more dated? lol

Well, the original topic was Eminem. So it's veered plenty of course already. So I really don't see why it matters. I happened to agree with a point that was made about the Beastie Boys' critical acclaim. We are right on topic here.

I don't think I'm splitting hairs. But it's fine if you do.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 11:13 am

Alan wrote:
Well, the original topic was Eminem. So it's veered plenty of course already. So I really don't see why it matters. I happened to agree with a point that was made about the Beastie Boys' critical acclaim. We are right on topic here.

Maybe you missed it, but I'll say it again...

"When we're discussing the Beastie Boys, yes, it does matter..."

That means, when the focus is the Beastie Boys (I'm sure I used the word focus in there somewhere), why someone would try to use a Run DMC deflection is beyond me when they never entered the conversation. And this is all from my point of view (again, this was mentioned).

Alan wrote:
I don't think I'm splitting hairs. But it's fine if you do.

I'm well aware of this. No confirmation needed.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 11:22 am

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
Well, the original topic was Eminem. So it's veered plenty of course already. So I really don't see why it matters. I happened to agree with a point that was made about the Beastie Boys' critical acclaim. We are right on topic here.

Maybe you missed it, but I'll say it again...

"When we're discussing the Beastie Boys, yes, it does matter..."

That means, when the focus is the Beastie Boys (I'm sure I used the word focus in there somewhere), why someone would try to use a Run DMC deflection is beyond me when they never entered the conversation. And this is all from my point of view (again, this was mentioned).

I don't think I'm splitting hairs. But it's fine if you do.

I'm well aware of this. No confirmation needed.

Why all the semantics? Not that I brought Run-DMC in the discussion, but for someone to compare Run-DMC to Beastie Boys is not outlandish in the slightest. They are from the same region & time period. They had the same prolific producer for their most popular albums they ever released. Same formula. They toured together. They helped form hip-hop together. So why the hell would it matter if you compared the two or not? When speaking of things like respect and critical acclaim, I think it's a decent point that the Beastie Boys albums sound less dated. I mean, you are entitled to disagree, but I believe it to be very true. Just disagree instead of bringing all the conversation etiquette into play. I don't really see how it applies.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 11:38 am

I'm not even sure why you're taking up the cause anyway...my first post about Run DMC was in response to a HalfShark comment...

Anyway, the semantics are born out your inability to comprehend the point being conveyed to you. It's annoying when you speak in plain terms and someone still misses what you're trying to say to them.

Alan wrote:
Not that I brought Run-DMC in the discussion, but for someone to compare Run-DMC to Beastie Boys is not outlandish in the slightest.

Never said it was. I know this. What I'm trying to figure out is how the quality of Run DMC's work relates to this particular conversation

Alan wrote:
They are from the same region & time period. They had the same prolific producer for their most popular albums they ever released. Same formula. They toured together. They helped form hip-hop together. So why the hell would it matter if you compared the two or not?

I've directly addressed this...twice. Still looks like a deflection from where I sit.

Alan wrote:
When speaking of things like respect and critical acclaim, I think it's a decent point that the Beastie Boys albums sound less dated. I mean, you are entitled to disagree, but I believe it to be very true.

The respect issue is apples and oranges when comparing the two. Run DMC made it possible for Beasties to even exist in more ways than one (allowing them to bite their style, co-signing for them when they first came out, making rap acceptable in the suburbs and to white people, etc). I'm sure you'll disagree, and I'm starting to get an idea as to why...

Alan wrote:
Just disagree instead of bringing all the conversation etiquette into play. I don't really see how it applies.

I'm approaching this exactly how I want to. Just like you. I don't feel like I'm bringing any kind of etiquette to the conversation, but it's fine if you do.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 12:09 pm

The reason why I feel that they don't sound dated is because many of those beats are still used today, especially on Raising Hell and Licensed To Ill.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:10 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Around my parts Beasties Boys were not talked about like that. Matter of fact they were looked at like a Weird Al type thing and taken with a grain of salt. Fight For Your Right and No Sleep had heavy rock influence and cats was not bumpin that as a whole in the rap community. I have been listening to rap since the late 80's and no one around me was playing that shit. They were looked at like how Elvis ripped off Chuck Berry by them being marketed like a white RunDMC. There singles got luv on MTV but no one I knew had their albums. But then again I was raised around all black people so it is what it is.

The reason I posted about Run-DMC. Hopefully this clears up any confusion.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:12 pm

As for the topic of Eminem....I voted top 5.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:23 pm

AFutureWithoutAPast wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Around my parts Beasties Boys were not talked about like that. Matter of fact they were looked at like a Weird Al type thing and taken with a grain of salt. Fight For Your Right and No Sleep had heavy rock influence and cats was not bumpin that as a whole in the rap community. I have been listening to rap since the late 80's and no one around me was playing that shit. They were looked at like how Elvis ripped off Chuck Berry by them being marketed like a white RunDMC. There singles got luv on MTV but no one I knew had their albums. But then again I was raised around all black people so it is what it is.

The reason I posted about Run-DMC. Hopefully this clears up any confusion.

Thanks, dude. That's all I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:32 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Never said it was. I know this. What I'm trying to figure out is how the quality of Run DMC's work relates to this particular conversation

Well if I'm missing what you're saying, then you're missing what I'm saying. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself.

Kopasetick wrote:
I've directly addressed this...twice. Still looks like a deflection from where I sit.

And that matters why? I was making a point about critical acclaim and respect. I don't see your issue besides the fact you disagree with my take on the topic.

Kopasetick wrote:
The respect issue is apples and oranges when comparing the two. Run DMC made it possible for Beasties to even exist in more ways than one (allowing them to bite their style, co-signing for them when they first came out, making rap acceptable in the suburbs and to white people, etc). I'm sure you'll disagree, and I'm starting to get an idea as to why...

Be as condescending as you like. I know all this information and agree with it (how couldn't I? lol). Just because they came first doesn't mean I think they are better. In fact, you pretty much made my point here. The Beastie Boys perfected (through biting a large portion of Run-DMC) that Rick Rubin rock-rap formula. I'm sure you'll disagree, but I feel they did it better on Licensed To Ill.

Kopasetick wrote:
I'm approaching this exactly how I want to. Just like you. I don't feel like I'm bringing any kind of etiquette to the conversation, but it's fine if you do.

This forum has never been about high standards of etiquette, so I don't know why you're trying to make rules for the conversation. You complain about a deflection, I say who cares? Nitpick all you like, I said my piece.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:34 pm

Not that it matters, but I prefer Licensed To Ill over any Run DMC album too.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:40 pm

Alan wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:
Never said it was. I know this. What I'm trying to figure out is how the quality of Run DMC's work relates to this particular conversation

Well if I'm missing what you're saying, then you're missing what I'm saying. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself.

Kopasetick wrote:
I've directly addressed this...twice. Still looks like a deflection from where I sit.

And that matters why? I was making a point about critical acclaim and respect. I don't see your issue besides the fact you disagree with my take on the topic.

Kopasetick wrote:
The respect issue is apples and oranges when comparing the two. Run DMC made it possible for Beasties to even exist in more ways than one (allowing them to bite their style, co-signing for them when they first came out, making rap acceptable in the suburbs and to white people, etc). I'm sure you'll disagree, and I'm starting to get an idea as to why...

Be as condescending as you like. I know all this information and agree with it (how couldn't I? lol). Just because they came first doesn't mean I think they are better. In fact, you pretty much made my point here. The Beastie Boys perfected (through biting a large portion of Run-DMC) that Rick Rubin rock-rap formula. I'm sure you'll disagree, but I feel they did it better on Licensed To Ill.

Kopasetick wrote:
I'm approaching this exactly how I want to. Just like you. I don't feel like I'm bringing any kind of etiquette to the conversation, but it's fine if you do.

This forum has never been about high standards of etiquette, so I don't know why you're trying to make rules for the conversation. You complain about a deflection, I say who cares? Nitpick all you like, I said my piece.

I don't really care about your piece. Nor was I seeking your take on anything. You jumped in.

I already got my answer from the person I was addressing in the first place. Do what you do...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:48 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:
Never said it was. I know this. What I'm trying to figure out is how the quality of Run DMC's work relates to this particular conversation

Well if I'm missing what you're saying, then you're missing what I'm saying. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself.

Kopasetick wrote:
I've directly addressed this...twice. Still looks like a deflection from where I sit.

And that matters why? I was making a point about critical acclaim and respect. I don't see your issue besides the fact you disagree with my take on the topic.

Kopasetick wrote:
The respect issue is apples and oranges when comparing the two. Run DMC made it possible for Beasties to even exist in more ways than one (allowing them to bite their style, co-signing for them when they first came out, making rap acceptable in the suburbs and to white people, etc). I'm sure you'll disagree, and I'm starting to get an idea as to why...

Be as condescending as you like. I know all this information and agree with it (how couldn't I? lol). Just because they came first doesn't mean I think they are better. In fact, you pretty much made my point here. The Beastie Boys perfected (through biting a large portion of Run-DMC) that Rick Rubin rock-rap formula. I'm sure you'll disagree, but I feel they did it better on Licensed To Ill.

Kopasetick wrote:
I'm approaching this exactly how I want to. Just like you. I don't feel like I'm bringing any kind of etiquette to the conversation, but it's fine if you do.

This forum has never been about high standards of etiquette, so I don't know why you're trying to make rules for the conversation. You complain about a deflection, I say who cares? Nitpick all you like, I said my piece.

I don't really care about your piece. Nor was I seeking your take on anything. You jumped in.

I already got my answer from the person I was addressing in the first place. Do what you do...

I don't really care about your piece either, but you kept asking me questions, so I answered them. scratch
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 1:53 pm

Ok, the difference is you jumping in and answering posts that weren't directed at you in the first place. I began by addressing HalfShark. Unless you're his rep, mind yours... I didn't ask you shit at first.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 2:03 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Ok, the difference is you jumping in and answering posts that weren't directed at you in the first place. I began by addressing HalfShark. Unless you're his rep, mind yours... I didn't ask you shit at first.

You directed your first post at Halfshark, which I agreed with. Then you responded to me after I responded to your post. You asked me plenty of shit after we got into it. Sorry about the confusion, but it's not like I'm the only one who drug it out. Don't act like you didn't ask questions or take shots at my argument. It wouldn't have gotten this far otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 2:24 pm

Alan wrote:
So Norf, did Beastie Boys not do this first in your opinion? lol

You started with the questions, not me (and this was after I ignored your first question).

Is that not the question that started it all? Not only that, you jumped in when I was talking to Steve too. Then you went into semantics in order to validate your point when the people I was talking to clearly (see Steve's posts as to whether or not he takes them seriously) agreed with me.

Again, you jumped in. I didn't ask you shit...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 2:51 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
So Norf, did Beastie Boys not do this first in your opinion? lol

You started with the questions, not me (and this was after I ignored your first question).

Is that not the question that started it all? Not only that, you jumped in when I was talking to Steve too. Then you went into semantics in order to validate your point when the people I was talking to clearly (see Steve's posts as to whether or not he takes them seriously) agreed with me.

Again, you jumped in. I didn't ask you shit...

You answered all my questions here including the one you quoted. Now you're just tripping over some superiority complex and telling me my opinion is invalid and you didn't ask me shit when you clearly answered many questions directed at me and what I was talking about. Why? You answer posts then tell me you don't care about their rebuttal because you could care less in the first place. Get over yourself. People will answer back if they disagree in a debate. That's how it works. In fact, 4 instances on page 1, and now 8 instances on page 2.

This is a forum. People speak up and jump in on discussions all the time. I figured you'd be used to it.


Last edited by Alan on Tue 28 Jul 2009, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 2:53 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Alan wrote:
So Norf, did Beastie Boys not do this first in your opinion? lol

You started with the questions, not me (and this was after I ignored your first question).

So why are you so smug you won't even answer a question? You think you're above flawed logic? Whatever man. lol
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 10:26 pm

lol

I don't think I've ever seen either of yous squabble over the last word like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1   

Back to top Go down
 
Top 10 Greatest (Midwest) #1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Midwest Percussion OUT OF BUSINESS ??
» GREATEST HITS – EUROPEAN SELECTION
» Zane Lowe's Top 50 Guitarists
» Wicked Rare Groove CD
» Lovers Rock 12" selection (3 mixes! - November 2009)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Classic Threads and Discussions-
Jump to: