Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact Empty
PostSubject: Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact   Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact Icon_minitimeSun 09 Dec 2012, 12:31 pm

When we think of albums that had that had an impact in the rap world we think of 36 Chambers, Paid In Full, The Chronic, and so forth. Rarely would one mention LL vol.1.
But to me this album is as important as any album I mentioned above and a classic. What made this album so important is it introduced us to a lot of rappers like PunchLine and Words Worth ,Brooklyn Academy , Company Flo, Thirsten Howl the 3rd, Mos Def. Sure these artist were already doing their thing but LL gave them much needed spot light. If youre like me you haven't heard of these rappers until this album dropped. This album ushered in a new era of hip hop besides putting the Lyricist Lounge on the map. It was about skills. This album coined the phrase "spitter". In 97, when rap was getting soft and muthafuckas was duplicating the late Pac, the shiny suit era was comin; in, and the south was on rise with No Limit, this album was a much needed masterpiece.

The beats weren't spectacular, but thats the point, it was lyrics over beats all day. I was mesmerized (and still am) at the crazy wordplay and punchlines going on here when I first heard this album. For a moment I stated to myself Im done listening to Gangsta Rap and pop freindly rap. On this LP not one person is talking about selling crack or popping guns and there is nothing close to a radio trendy song. The closest thing to a radio song was OC & Ras Kass's team-up (what an awesome collab) Action Guaranteed, and thats a stretch.

I got all the LL albums after that. Anywhoo, anyone remember the LL comedy sketch that was on MTV? Yeah, that shit was kinda wack but what can you expect from MTV. Another thing to note as I was recently reading my liner notes I noticed on the song After The Show it listed Jedi Minds Tricks as an artist on that song. What a minute, I dont remember JMT being on this album, but then again JMT were back-pack rappers with a completely different style in the 90s. But as it turns out the Jedi Mind Tricks here was a solo rapper in no relation to the group. Good thing that dude didn't blow-up or there would have been problems.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact   Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact Icon_minitimeThu 13 Dec 2012, 9:49 am

I really enjoyed the concept of LL vol 1, and you are correct. This album had me looking for stuff by those artists. I particularly liked the cyphers, and the poets. I think Biggie made an appearance on the album as well. I don't remember the LL comedy sketch on MTV. What year was that?
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact   Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact Icon_minitimeThu 13 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

Revue wrote:
I really enjoyed the concept of LL vol 1, and you are correct. This album had me looking for stuff by those artists. I particularly liked the cyphers, and the poets. I think Biggie made an appearance on the album as well. I don't remember the LL comedy sketch on MTV. What year was that?

The LL comedy sketch show popped off in 2000 and only lasted 1 season. Which was a good thing cause it knda sucked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact   Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact Icon_minitimeThu 13 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm

Oh okay. I wasn't even messing with MTV at that time. That explains why I know nothing about it. Last time I checked Mtv was back in 98, when the channel became one big Road Rules remix, minus Daria (which was a favorite cartoon for me).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact   Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lyricist Lounge Vol. 1 and its impact
Page 1 of 1