Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?   Wed 12 Dec 2012, 9:15 pm

Take a look at people like Emanuelle Chriqui, from the series Entourage, who calls herself an "activist", but has done numerous alcohol ads.

Or Michael "Omar" Williams from the wire, who sells vodka.

Or even rappers in general who glorify the drug trade and contribute to the terrible (by American, not world) standards blacks live in. The rappers who teach black kids it's cool to be ignorant, and stupid.

Are these people artists? Does a sanguine album excuse one act of terrible selling out? Or is it sell out once, hawk a product/lifestyle that kills children and they lose their card?
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?   Thu 13 Dec 2012, 7:29 am

Alcohol is poison? Eh, this doesn't bother me. But cigarettes is another thing. Both Common and Black Thought did ads for KOOL cigs. In their defense they weren't holding the cancer sticks and KOOLS was sponsoring a tour they were on at that time....but still
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?   Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

I don't know if they should lose their "card" so to speak. Art imitates life. Sure some artists are bringing the filth up front, and kids are impressionable. They will pick up some of this stuff regardless of what genre they listen to. Many artists of all genres glorify some sort of ill that may contribute to delinquent behavior in children, and some adults. Rock is chock FULL of artists who have built their livelihoods off of "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". That has been Rock music's slogan for quite some time now. Generations and generations of people who have listened to rock have succumbed to the rock lifestyle, and some just listen to it even though some of it glorified drug use,violence,and alcohol. The same goes with the rappers. Some of them sell poison or market it through music, be it alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, violence, etc. Some people fall into the mess, and some don't.

I guess the term "artist" is subjective. One person's "art" could be another person's piece of shit. For example. Johnny Cash is classified by some as an artist, and so is G.G. Alin. Some people choose one over the other and feel that one may be more of an artist than the other. The same goes with Chief Keef, and Pac.

Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna

PostSubject: Re: Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?   Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm

who the fuck cares
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?   Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

Smirnoff Vodka was one of the sponsors for the Rock the Bells tour. Nas and Rakim both did ads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?   

Back to top Go down

Can you still be considered an artist if you're selling poison?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1