HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

Trophies was one of the albums that was so bigged-up last year and I can't see why. I like the album but it was nothing ground breaking. Nothing on the level of Ricanstruction or Mic Tyson. It was an alright throw back album and OC did drop some jewels but it didn't stick to my ribs. There was no song that had me pressing the repeat button as the album played through. Apollo Brown's production just seem standard to me.

Yeah, Ive been on an album copping frenzy as of lately. One album we breifly talked about and forgot about was MOP's Sparta which is off the chain. Been bumping dat all day. This here was a seriously slept on album. These are by far SnowGoons best beats. The melodies here seem more concentrated than there other works. This is just a good as CRUNK album and one of the best of 2011. Im actually feeling this more than CzarFace now.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:22 pm

Trophies is 5 stars...5 mics...5 whatever you want to call it's for me

that's just what hip-hop is all about right there....lyrics and beats...it's a very simple formula that a bunch of simpleton's keep fucking up....lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

Oh and that M.O.P. album was a very good effort....I've got it at 4 stars...
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:25 pm

I'm not really down with ApBrown, either trotter. Dice game is the album I've heard from him that I like the best, but Guilty kinda ruins the album for me.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

one of many reviews that IMO just tells the truth about Trophies man.....a very, a very simple formula for hip-hop....one producer, one emcee, ridiculous beats, ridiculous lyrics.....HIP-HOP music and culture IMO.....this shit is crushing Chino XL's effort IMO....it's not even close....BOOM BAP+LYRICS=Gritty ass hip-hop which is what hip-hop should be, not skirt wearing dudes with scarfs...fuck that!
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Thu 21 Feb 2013, 12:09 am

That Trophies is the best album of last year. How anybody can hate on it I don't know.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Thu 21 Feb 2013, 12:28 am

Nobody's hating on anything.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Thu 21 Feb 2013, 12:07 pm

I think that Trophies is a classic. Great lyrics, great beats, great overall feel. Sparta was very disappointing, bad, bad production. Dice Game was very good either.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Thu 21 Feb 2013, 8:36 pm

"Trophies" and "Sparta" were both tight albums, especially "Trophies", which I give 4.5 stars and it was definitely one of 2012's best albums.
Back to top Go down
rez'82
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 22 Feb 2013, 4:56 am

To the people that rate Trophies as a classic......how do you rate Word Life? and Jewelz?

I think Trophies is great and maby could be classic for 2012 standards...but i'd be settling
Back to top Go down
rez'82
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 22 Feb 2013, 4:58 am

Sparta was cool. Happy with the purchase. Not on the level of warriorz, first family 4 life or firing squad though
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 22 Feb 2013, 5:44 am

I don't see how Trophies is a classic. One thing about OC he hasn't changed his flow since Word....Life. Its not a bad thing but Chino XL and Sean P have updated their flows since the 90's. A gave Trophies more spins and I guess Im missing something.

Sparta is like a quick and successful bank heist. In and out. Custemors don't know what them.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 22 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

rez'82 wrote:
To the people that rate Trophies as a classic......how do you rate Word Life? and Jewelz?

I think Trophies is great and maby could be classic for 2012 standards...but i'd be settling

I think it holds up well against both of those albums.....I think it's better than Jewelz and slightly below Word Life but Trophies and Oasis are two more feathers in O.C.'s legendary cap...the dude is highly underrated and has been releasing bangin hip-hop music pretty much since he started.....
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 22 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

OC is so bland to me and comes off as a Nas lite. Sure he has some lyrical skill but to me thats it. He sounds like one in a million of early-mid 90's east coast rappers. His voice is nothing special and his flow is bland to me. Look at somebody like Jeru or Prodigy who both rap similiar laid back styles but they have more charisma and betta deliverys to me. Maybe its the production he uses also. I was able to tolerate him on Oasis because AG kept the energy up and maybe because OC only did one verse most of time.

I still have Trophies on deck again but I am in no rush to hear it.

D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 22 Feb 2013, 5:08 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I know it's all OPINION but IN MY OPINION....IT'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE....lol

will-lay can for-get-a-bout-it mayne!
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:01 am

I can see both sides of this argument. On one hand, I agree that OC is not very charismatic. The album in general is nothing new, it's a simple formula like Powell said. But I also agree with Powell in that when you hear this shit, you're like, "damn, this some HIP HOP right here!" It just has that classic sound that satisfies. I have a food analogy...there are other albums in 2012 that I reach for more often and have better replay value...these are the junk food albums. They are delicious and fun to eat but you eventually get sick of them and need some REAL sustainance. Trophies is like steak and a baked potato...simple, classic, satisfying, man food. You may not eat it all the time but it's always good when you do.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:32 am

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be anyone's top pick. That's whatever. If you hear it you hear it, and I can respect that.

I don't really hear anything 'classic' about Apollo's music. I hear it trying to be classic. But, I also hear it to be hyper-edited, over-synthed. He borrows on Black Milk's computerized digital-glam polish and tries to loop 9th- or Primo-type soul sounds. The combo doesn't add up.

And his phrasings still lack resolution. You could fall off the edge of your chair waiting for a pattern to close out. It's unsatisfying to listen to.

This is all just to explain why I don't rate it too highly. Obviously the rest of you just don't hear it this way.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:56 am

Yeah, I def don't hear it that way Parker. I don't even know what any of that shit means to be honest. Hyper-edited? Over-synthed? What do you mean his patterns don't close out? Shit either sounds good or it doesn't to me. But I know how different your ear can be, we got into this a bit with History Will Absolve Me. I def was not hearing what you and Trotter were hearing.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:58 am

But trust me, I do get it. I can really see how this album can be boring to some people. There is def nothing creative about it.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:40 pm

parker lewis wrote:
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be anyone's top pick. That's whatever. If you hear it you hear it, and I can respect that.

I don't really hear anything 'classic' about Apollo's music. I hear it trying to be classic. But, I also hear it to be hyper-edited, over-synthed. He borrows on Black Milk's computerized digital-glam polish and tries to loop 9th- or Primo-type soul sounds. The combo doesn't add up.

And his phrasings still lack resolution. You could fall off the edge of your chair waiting for a pattern to close out. It's unsatisfying to listen to.

This is all just to explain why I don't rate it too highly. Obviously the rest of you just don't hear it this way.

now this is what you call overthinking hip-hop music man....Apollo Brown does have a similar sounding style to some of the heads you mentioned Parker like 9th and Preemo, but I do hear his own style shining through on this album....all artists are influenced by someone and I guess those mentioned are who influenced him and really a bunch of other hip-hop producers but I still feel that Apollo Brown brings a refreshing style to hip-hop in 2013...he is going against the grain of 2013 producers in his style...he is "bringing it back to it's essence"...back to the simpler formulas that used to make hip-hop, well hip-hop...thats what made hip-hop different....there weren't many hummable melodies...it was an acquired taste...things weren't set up to be in an orderly fashion like r&b or pop music...it went totally against the grain and was still very basic at the same time....and thats because the kids that were doing it couldn't afford all that fancy shit........let's make noise from some turntables, mouths, and drum machines/samplers and see what happens...and low and behold we have HIP-HOP.....thanks for trying to bring it back "home" Apollo Brown.....
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

That's what I'm saying, though. It sounds TOO well-organized. Like he puts in too much work post-production. Sterile & soulless.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

parker lewis wrote:
That's what I'm saying, though. It sounds TOO well-organized. Like he puts in too much work post-production. Sterile & soulless.

I don't hear that Parker.....now obviously it doesn't sound like when RZA made 36 Chambers in his damn basement apartment and if you listened really closely you could probably hear the toilet flushing on some classic hip-hop tracks, but I don't hear the "over polishing" gloss here....this shit is gritty to me man....this isn't some overproduced Drake, Lil Wayne or Nikki Minaj shit.....
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

That's cool, and this has been my opinion of his work since Gas Mask, so it could just be a case of me not allowing him to outgrow my first impressions.

I will say that Dice Game doesn't really feel like that at all to me.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:20 pm

lol... I was just listening to Clouds my roommate walked in & shook his head. Said it sounds like a Garage Band demo.

Really just sounds like he takes his drums & his samples & just lines them up visually on the monitor.

Check out CZARFACE... that's much more in a classic fashion.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

parker lewis wrote:
lol... I was just listening to Clouds my roommate walked in & shook his head. Said it sounds like a Garage Band demo.

Really just sounds like he takes his drums & his samples & just lines them up visually on the monitor.

I'm hesitant to buy anything with Inspectah Deck as a lead emcee on it (he's great on the WU-TANG projects but loses a bunch of steam on solo efforts, but this is a group setting sooo).....and it seems like heads on here are crazy about CZARFACE so I will probably go and get it.....
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Sun 24 Feb 2013, 8:17 pm

D.Powell wrote:
parker lewis wrote:

I'm hesitant to buy anything with Inspectah Deck as a lead emcee on it (he's great on the WU-TANG projects but loses a bunch of steam on solo efforts, but this is a group setting sooo).....and it seems like heads on here are crazy about CZARFACE so I will probably go and get it.....

CzarFace is more like a 7L and Esoteric project with Deck along for the ride.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:24 pm

I checked out Sparta a few months back and it was definitely on point. I agree with 4 stars. However, Trophies and Dice Game were 2 of my favs from last year. If you say Trophies is not a classic, I can understand but it's a damn good album.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:56 pm

Trophies is a dope 4 star album, definitely in my top 20 of last year
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook   

Back to top Go down

Disappointed in Trophies, Sparta is off the hook
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1