Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which was more influential?

Go down 
+2
Dang! Trotter
Tic706
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Which was more influential? Empty
PostSubject: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2013, 9:44 am

Last edited by rez'82 on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeWed 10 Apr 2013, 12:38 pm

The Chronic had the bigger impact but its very debatable by how much. After The Chronic dropped every region period seemed to try their hand at the g-funk /slow bass sound or make their music more hardcore.

I didn't see Wu Tang have that impact on all regions as far as rappers changing their styles to a Wu sound. Wu influence on the underground sound is big and it did help give the east coast its identity back.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Apr 2013, 7:41 pm

Alot of people copied The Chronic's style. From Dre's production to having a load of cameos on your shit. To not just introducing a rapper on one song, but a couple of songs, having said rapper on a majority of songs. This creates a great buzz for that rapper. If Snoop was just on 1 song his buzz wouldn't as strong. Later we seen E.Sermon use this exact technique on his No Pressure album. Id say Chronic by a hair.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Apr 2013, 12:29 am

Yeah so much stuff in the following years you can tell they had been listening to The Chronic when they made there shit. Not just on the west but the south and Midwest. Even the east you can hear the influence on Def Squad production '93 - '94 and if you listen to Buckshot on Enta Da Stage then listen to his flow on I Got Cha Opin (Remix) and Buck Em Down (remix) you can tell he was influenced by Snoop.

I don't think 36 Chambers had the same reach but it's a slow burner. I think you can still hear the Wu influence in underground hip hop. I don't hear much shit trying to sound like The Chronic now. Not even Dre & Snoop. Sercond string wu-tang is still trying to create that 36 chambers sound
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Apr 2013, 5:53 am

Also the Chronic made gangstar rap mainstream. Before G-rap was underground, not underground by today's standard, but it didn't get much radio play. Rapper's like Heavy D, Kid N Play, Will Smith and other squeaky clean rappers were at the forefront of rap pop- culture . When Dre dropped G-Thang, the pop-radio culture couldn't ignore it. Also notice how many rappers shit had the PA sticker on it after the Chronic. Das Efx first album had no cuss words, the second album did.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Apr 2013, 10:34 am

The Chronic changed almost everything. 36 Chambers had a profound effect on the East Coast that resulted in more albums i enjoy listening to, but i truly believe that The Chronic changed the entire industry. It was an influence on other mc's and producers, but it changed the way music executives looked at hip hop. It changed radio too because this was not only gangsta rap, but it was also commercially viable. There is a clear difference in top 40 stations pre-Chronic and post-Chronic.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeMon 15 Apr 2013, 9:41 pm

Gotta go with The Chronic here.....it changed everything when it dropped....it's influence was felt heavily on these 3 standout albums that followed, as well as a bunch of others (these were the first 3 that came to mind for me though)..

1.Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle
2.Da Brat-Funkdafied
3.Biggie Smalls-Ready To Die

even the skits on The Chronic were influential......that was Dr.Dre in his prime man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 8:18 pm

I think 36 Chamber takes it for longevity purposes. People are still influenced by the WU, especially business structure wise and beats. Dre seems to be mostly known for his headphones, and not producing Detox. I've noticed that Hip hop in general doesn't have distinctive sounds for that region anymore. It's hard to accurately tell if somebody is from the East, West, South, or in between.
Back to top Go down
SteveT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2013, 8:35 pm

Chronic by 56767678 powell sized turds.
Back to top Go down
CUTTA
Woof
Woof

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm

Chronic had more influence 36 chambers is the better album
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which was more influential?   Which was more influential? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which was more influential?
Page 1 of 1