Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 30 May 2013, 12:41 am

Now, she's being lambasted for "homophobic lyrics". And for those who may believe she said racist things in the past, that was a rumor: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/laurynhill.asp

Anyway,here's the article that mentions the homophobic scrutiny:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/blog--lauryn-hill-taken-to-task-for-homophobic-song-lyrics

What kills me about this is that artists like David Allen Coe have built their entire musical careers on spewing hate, but now they want to pick and choose who gets scrutinized for whatever reason they see fit. Mad
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 30 May 2013, 12:27 pm

If she meant something else then she should speak up but she doesn't strike as the type of person to mince words.

Is there another interpretation of those lyrics? Possibly, if so what is it?

She's only making the album to pay bills so I'm pretty sure she's at the point where she will say whatever she feels like saying. She's been like F the World for a good minute.

She's not the same person she was a decade and a half ago and even then there is no proof she was accepting of LGBT people as far as I'm aware. Homophobia is strong in the Caribbean so it's not implausible that she could hold a similar sentiment.

She is not the first artist to feel this way nor will she be the last. Anyone offended should respond by keeping hold of their money.

Folks have been waiting for Lauryn to return for years so for some this is a disappointment but it's simply because a lot of times people superimpose their values on their favorite artists forgetting they too have their own opinions that may contradict their own.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 30 May 2013, 1:29 pm

Its a conspiracy. They don't want Black youth listening to positive music.

"A caller states on the Howard Stern show......" Whoa! Howard Stern is a reliable source? And Mr. Stern himself is racist as I'LL GET OUT
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 30 May 2013, 10:44 pm

TheHazardous wrote:
If she meant something else then she should speak up but she doesn't strike as the type of person to mince words.

Is there another interpretation of those lyrics? Possibly, if so what is it?

She's only making the album to pay bills so I'm pretty sure she's at the point where she will say whatever she feels like saying. She's been like F the World for a good minute.

She's not the same person she was a decade and a half ago and even then there is no proof she was accepting of LGBT people as far as I'm aware. Homophobia is strong in the Caribbean so it's not implausible that she could hold a similar sentiment.

She is not the first artist to feel this way nor will she be the last. Anyone offended should respond by keeping hold of their money.

Folks have been waiting for Lauryn to return for years so for some this is a disappointment but it's simply because a lot of times people superimpose their values on their favorite artists forgetting they too have their own opinions that may contradict their own.

Here's another interpretation of her lyrics on rapgenius.com: http://rapgenius.com/Lauryn-hill-neurotic-society-compulsory-mix-lyrics

My sentiments exactly. I think they were just picking at her for the sake of doing so. All of that other stuff she said in her music and they want to pick out the so called "anti-gay" part. I think they completely missed the point of her song. Either that, or she has people excited, so they had to talk more shit about her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 30 May 2013, 10:46 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
Its a conspiracy. They don't want Black youth listening to positive music.

"A caller states on the Howard Stern show......" Whoa! Howard Stern is a reliable source? And Mr. Stern himself is racist as I'LL GET OUT

I was shocked when I saw that too. I said the exact same thing.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Fri 31 May 2013, 1:36 pm

Unfortunately Lauryn has become a caricature of her former self. She shied away from the limelight and left people in the dark. The media response to this is always rampant speculation. Whenever Hill saw the light of the day it was some controversy.

The past decade or more we've learned:
*She went in on the Pope (justified or unjustified depending on your perspective)
*She had several children and has been divorced (her ex dating a white chick)
*She's had problems with her performance while touring
*She's going to jail for tax problems

*Now it's she's anti-gay
That's just another log on the fire.
Her brand is in ruins and only the most diehard Lauryn-ites will deny she has a lot of mess going on.
The media loves to demystify/vilify celebrities especially anyone deemed a Black Radical. The only reason MLK hasn't suffered the same fate is he died are martyr before any of his shortcomings could be exposed. She started off a rising star but it seems as though she collapsed under the weight of her own fame. If she cares about this perception at some point she will have to address the public but I think she's done with catering to the needs of the masses.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Fri 31 May 2013, 1:47 pm

After reading the lyrics she stuffed a lot in a little place.

To nutshell it the world's gone crazy. A lot of the lyrics can be taken in a variety of ways but that's Lauryn for you. Only thing that can be asked is do you see yourself or part of the world in the lyrics? She would have to decipher it herself to know for sure. That could be a partial subliminal shot across the bow for the LGBT.

But to quote Canibus
"I can't call it, motherfucking Wyclef spoiled it."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm

If I was Lauryn and I was homophobic I would just tell them I am and what? Fuck backtrking and trying to please everyone. Thats why this country is so fake now.

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:46 pm

Tic706 wrote:
If I was Lauryn and I was homophobic I would just tell them I am and what? Fuck backtrking and trying to please everyone. Thats why this country is so fake now.

I agree. She might as well after all of the crap she's gone through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh   

Back to top Go down

They're messing with Lauryn Hill again..smh
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1