Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop

Go down 
+2
T. Myers
Esco
6 posters
AuthorMessage

BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Empty
PostSubject: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 4:30 am

This is it. The infamous album Nas used to diss Jay. I never quite understood why it was a big diss since Nas was arguing semantics.

Anyways. I like the cover. I like blue...I'm a crip son.

Says KRS produced a lot of this CD. Impressive. I have to ask why he don't make beats like this no more? Probably no budget to sample, but it's a damn shame.

Is this supposed to have a Parental Advisory sticker? Cause I know how much KRS loves to curse.

On to the music:

1. The Style You Haven't Done Yet - Dope song, where he pushes for originality and does not diss. I dig it.

2. Why Is That? - Can never look at this song after Luda and JD flipped the sample. To me the Luda version is infinitely better cause it uses the sample to the full potential with more energy. The lyrics aren't bad.

3. The Blueprint - Dope song, in similar spirit of the first song.

4. Jack of Spades - Another funky beat, not sure if I am digging the storytelling on here, seems a little unfocused. Not bad, not great.

5. Jah Rulez - Anytime you flip some classic riddim shit is gonna be dope. KRS' patua or however you spell it doesn't bother me on this one, dope song. Has anyone ever asked KRS how he felt about Ja Rule?

6. Breath Control - Really digging the beat boxing beat. KRS one just drops a class on flow on this track, pretty dope.

7. Who Protects Us From You? - Man... I dig the message but the playful reggae beat just clashes too much with the seriousness of the track.

8. You Must Learn - This one is dope with a proper beat. I wish the cop track sounded more like this.

9. Hip Hop Rules - Another cool song, but I don't understand the reggae influences on what's supposed to be a hip-hop anthem.

10. Bo! Bo! Bo! - SMH. I'm actually digging all the reggae cause I'm a big fan, but this is more of a reggae record than hip-hop so far - HOW IS THIS THE BLUEPRINT!!!??? I know they say rap came from dancehall, but this is a bit much.

11. Gimme, Dat, (woy) - This joint is dope as well. Nice anthem type record.

12. Ghetto Music - Digging this joint too.

13. World Peace - The album ends strong with this track. along with Bo Bo Bo might be my two favorite tracks right here.

Conclusion:

For something 20 years old this album is very dope and holds up well. I think the reggae influences were too heavy for this album, despite liking that sound. The beat selection for a few songs was off, but overall I dig this a lot more than I recall and respect KRS more with this album. Not his best and I wish he had more personal approach to the tracks which I tend to dig, but still, good CD from BDP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 10:17 am

Glad you checked it out I was late getting it also and it is one of my fav BDP albums.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 10:19 am

This is actually my least favorite of the BDP albums. Edutainment and By All Means necessary are tied for first, maybe its the reggae influence, I just couldn't get into this cd.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 10:21 am

I dig this album, and IMO it's 5 stars, but it's fourth on the pecking order for BDP albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:34 pm

Bout time you gave KRS some props Clancey!!!

And Esco, you thought Sex and Violence was better than this?? Not even close! It's a classic IMO and BDP's 3rd best album behind Criminal Minded and By All Means Necessary.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:37 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

And Esco, you thought Sex and Violence was better than this?? Not even close! It's a classic IMO and BDP's 3rd best album behind Criminal Minded and By All Means Necessary.

I actually like Edutainment more, but both are 5 stars to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:40 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

I feel all of BDP's albums are 5 stars save for Sex and Violence, which is about 4-4.25 stars.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

I feel all of BDP's albums are 5 stars save for Sex and Violence, which is about 4-4.25 stars.

yeah, the first 4 are classics. S&V is 4.5 stars to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:45 pm

I never understood the distinction between 5 star albums. To me if something is 5 stars in my book I'm not really going to have a preference per se.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 1:52 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I never understood the distinction between 5 star albums. To me if something is 5 stars in my book I'm not really going to have a preference per se.

If multiple albums are 5 stars, it all boils down to personal preference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:08 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

If multiple albums are 5 stars, it all boils down to personal preference.

Exactly. Case in point, Public Enemy's Nation of Millions and Fear Of A Black Planet are both 5 stars because all the tracks are dope on both albums, but Nation Of Millions is the better album.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:15 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

thats why i rarely give out the 5 star rating
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 2:46 pm

Damn Slang, that Inspectah Deck song is dope. I'm loving the mini Mos Def sample intro, dope stuff there. Is this song on any album?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:08 pm

wrote:
Damn Slang, that Inspectah Deck song is dope. I'm loving the mini Mos Def sample intro, dope stuff there. Is this song on any album?

no its actually brand new...from like this week

he says he plans on releasing the Resident Patient 2 mixtape then his final album the Rebbellion, so this is probably gonna be on the mixtape
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:10 pm

Was Resident Patient 1 a mixtape?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:13 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Was Resident Patient 1 a mixtape?

yea it was a mixtape in the sense that Royce's The Album was a mixtape....retail, but still not an official album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:29 pm

Bastard advertised it like an official album.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop   BDP - Ghetto Music - The Blueprint of Hip-Hop Icon_minitimeThu 13 Aug 2009, 3:34 pm

that is actually not a such a bad review SRP...I'm glad you took the time to go through every track like that and give it a review...let me help to explain a couple of them for you..

First of all when Kris released this album he always said this was the thinking man's album and wasn't for the dance crew...he wasn't looking for hits per se' on this one, but to go beyond that and drop a bunch of messages and increase the pro-black presence...

"Why Is That" should be called a "gospel" track...Kris is real heavy on that one quoting stuff from The Bible and stuff...I've heard the Luda track and IMO it's two totally different approaches on the same sample

"Jack Of Spades" is from the "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" soundtrack and is basically theme music for the "hero" of that flick...so if you see that movie then what Kris is talking about will make more sense....

"You Must Learn"-he, re-did this one with a remix that made far more noise than this version...he sampled Grandmaster Flash's Freedom on the remix, so he did change that montone beat from the album..lol