Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Empty
PostSubject: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 11:49 am

FRUKWAN SUN-STAR
[The Grand Master Teacher's Guide To Greatness (Interview)]

Interview Date: 17th April 2008

Conducted By: Dark 7 Invader

Notes:
Special thanks to Frukwan Sun-Star and Royal Sunn Enterprise.

Interview

Frukwan can only be addressed as the True and Living Teacher ( GREATNESS ) when Hip Hop needs a savior- “Frukwan is one of the most powerful and passionate MCs in the I've heard come out of Brooklyn,” said Timmy Grins of the acclaimed Brooklyn hip-hop collective ARCANE. “He has a message and he is not afraid of being who he is to the world.”

Frukwan is one of few rap artists that doesn't need a household name, incessant spins on radio airwaves, or a top 10 video on TRL or 106&Park to earn his respect. Immensely esteemed by many of his contemporaries, Frukwan's presence should rightfully humble the demeanour of anyone with an adept knowledge of hip-hop history. Credited as founding member of the very first Hip-hop band, Stetsasonic, and the soul of underground monsters, the Gravediggaz along side The RZA (Wu-Tang Clan), Poetic, and Prince Paul, the Brooklyn bred MC has already made notable contributions to the hip-hop movement and is not stopping. After 17 years in the music industry, Frukwan, now known as Frukwan Sun-star and also known as The Multiple Supreme (for his various rhyme patterns), offers a diverse concoction of styles, narratives, and pulsations.

He describes his solo venture as a natural transition. While remaining introspective Frukwan continues in the Gravedigga tradition “Everybody asks the questions, what's life and what's my life? I kind of made Life as the answers to the questions. Pretty much what I wanted to do was save the babies,” said Frukwan. Unlike most rap artists of today he trusts his own ingenuity, acting as sole producer and performer on his album.

Possibly one reason why Frukwan has a lot to say is because he's encountered his share of trails and tribulations. He looks back on the unfortunate passing of his partner in rhyme, fellow Gravediggaz member, Poetic, to cancer in April of 2002 as one of his biggest learning experiences! Not letting anything hold him back, Frukwan has returned in 2009 with a brand new album rightfully titled "Greatness" that features 10 banging tracks produced by Chicago's 5th Element, E-Mack and so on and has gotten back in touch with The RZA and his extensive Wu-Tang family tree as far as music, collaborations, tours, and just teaching. Wu-International followed up from the interview conducted about 5 years ago to find out what this master of craft has been up to and fans would be shocked, excited, etertained and educated, at what they hear in reference to his new album, the new Gravediggaz line up and projects with The RZA, Killarmy, Sunz Of Man and Black Knight members, his views on hip-hop, Obama, life and everything else dug to light by this legendary gravedigga MC, Read, enjoy and be edutained!

I like to say thanks first and foremost for taking the time to answer these questions, highly appreciated, and will also point out that nothing will be altered, edited or changed when this is published online.

Wu-International: Peace Sun, how are you?
Frukwan: Peace, I’m good you know me, constant elevation, building and I hope your family is well also?

Wu-International: Yes, Thanks. On our last interview you were down Chicago working with 5th Element? Are you still there or back in N.Y.?
Frukwan: Well since then yes I was out in Chi-Town building with the gods out there like 5th element and E-Mack From the south side. But I had returned back to Medina Brooklyn since then.

Wu-International: How does living in Chicago shape your attitude towards music, art
and culture in general in comparison to New York?
Frukwan: Well I do have children out there and their wonderful mother. Other then that just hung out round the south side and travel back and forth from NY.

Wu-International: Why have you added Sun-star to your name?
Frukwan: Well I’m surprised myself, but that’s how it came out, I mean I always carried that name. but basically Sun-star simply means “one and the same”, like me and my father. R.I.P. God!

Wu-International: Thanks, you just dropped a new album digitally, “Greatness”, will it
be released on physical copies and if so when?
Frukwan: True it was a joint venture, Sun-Star Music Group through Famous Records, digital distributors has release a digital Frukwan album but this is just to test the waters for what’s to come because the fans still love real Hip Hop. Also the CD will be available, Date TBA.

Wu-International: Was there any specific reason you have decided to put it out only first on a digital format only?
Frukwan: To keep up with digital demands one must make it easily accessible, and the internet is what’s moving right now. So why not hit the gate running.

Wu-International: True, and its via Famous records and your label?
Frukwan: Yes, Famous Records based out of Florida.

Wu-International: Why have you called it “Greatness?”
Frukwan: Because we need to recognize our greatness and the contribution our people have made in the creation of civilization. And to this day still Shaping and constructing ideas that are being robed and we're being discredited as being the foundation of it all.

Wu-International: Ok, Seems this album has been in works for more than 5 years, any
reason for this duration?
Frukwan: Since the album LIFE I just wanted to take a lil' time off to get back to self, do some studying, build with my seeds, really understand things like nationality and common law, which I can say I pretty much master now in my return to music, with now “Hip Hop” being my ministry. Meaning “conscious music” I mean if I am one of the particles in the atom that help spread it since 84, I might as well claim it. Cause “Hip Hop” is sovereign and
“RAP” is its straw man meaning the mirror image of it, but poisoned meaning fake, and have no substance.

Wu-International: That's deep, we already know some of the songs were produced by 5th
Elements, who else was responsible for the production?
Frukwan: Other producers on the album are, E-Mack out of Chi Town with 5th element , and Doxkingdom out of North Carolina.

Wu-International: 10 great songs with little or no guest appearances, any reason for
this?
Frukwan: Not really I just have a lot to say, so when I write I’m deep in thoughts with my concepts from beginning to end and some time I just don’t want to ask no one to jump on my songs, maybe in the near future there will be brothers with some king of Knowledge of self….we all just need to build from and enlighten degree.

Wu-International: How does “Life” compare or differ to “Greatness” lyrically and musically?
Frukwan: There are two tracks from Life that are remakes on the Greatness album and that’s, Glide and step/ Life, and Sun Star/timez r hard. But the rest of the album are all new concepts and I feel that the team I’m working with now, did there studies well. And I still didn’t wanna come out with a new album for partying, but I had to remain focused on, what I’m held responsible for, which is EDUTAINMENT!

Wu-International: In reflecting on the recording process, what would you say was the
tone and feel you were aiming for and what type of balance did you strike with this particular album, musically speaking?
Frukwan: I feel this album was more of me, Frukwan, like what I’m thinking, and how I’m acting as a Blackman that’s been pretty much a legend of the underground music. Greatness is the balance of power between self and understanding, meaning to "look at" does not means to “see” for in order to see clearly one must have the ability to understand, who, what, where, and why!
Wu-International: I personally love the album but some fans would easily say that 10 songs is more or less an EP of a very short album in today’s average 15 – 22 songs in albums?

Frukwan: 10 songs that are strong enough to carry an idea for others to see a different light, meaning Concepts, flows styles, and vocabulary are more then enough for my fans that knows what I’m about, not to mention my catalogue is extensive, but when they come to my performance they will witness power in it self from the gift of word play. And I’ll rather be 10 for 10 instead of 4 or 5 of 15……{Laughs}

Wu-International: Feeling the song “Just like Me” do you have any favourite songs off the
album?
Frukwan: Right about now I think that R.I.P. is my favorite for I have many friends and family that passed away, and when I listen to “Rest In Peace” It just brings back memories, I feel that keeps me grounded and to think ahead cause, to inhale and exhale the breathe of life is precious in today’s existence of what’s taking place in the world, and R.I.P is a universal song for everyone you loved that are no longer with us today. To my Godson O-Allah R.I.P. I like the whole album.

Wu-International: You have a song “Real MC” off the new album, what would you say
makes a real MC?
Frukwan: You have to first understand the difference between a MC and a RAPPER, an MC is a Master of Concepts, in the changing of a vision that makes a RAPPER bite that style, image, or concept. MC’s are thinkers with logic and reasons “Leaders.” RAPPERS feed off ignorance backed by a commercialize system that glorifies, they are carbon copy artist that pumps there image as a program, illusion or fantasy world.

Wu-International: Ok, so if you have to list at least 5 other real MC’s aside from yourself that you admire musically, who would they be dead or alive?
Frukwan: Nuttin' personal but I respect all the Godz, but some or most of them are lost in their ways, if there was any one I admire and look up to would it would be all those who was part of the self-destruction movement.

Wu-International: Poetic (R.I.P.) lives on through his music and people like you who
carry the torch on for him as well via your songs, the Wu fans post up blogs on forums to celebrate his life the day he passed away every year, how does that make you feel?
Frukwan: I wish I could give every fan a hug for their support though the hard times I been in on this journey of mines without my brother Poetic, but real Hip Hop fans know Grym in their own ways which they can just bring up at any time. So I say to the fans. He’s watching us all…R.I.P. My brotha.

Wu-International: How important do you think it is to keep the names of fallen soldiers in the game active?
Frukwan: it is very important, such as something the youth coming up can understand, to visualize there destiny in case they choose to take this path of Music. But I hope they don’t become easily lead in the wrong direction. So our soldiers were both good and bad…but we should focus on the good of this industry..

Wu-International: Speaking of fallen soldiers, what’s your take on the passing of Michael Jackson, and were you a fan of his music?
Frukwan: Yes me and my brothers back in the days use to have our own Jackson steps…… {Laughs} with our afro’s muti-colored shirts with the flare bottom slacks….{Laughs} so now we have another angel looking over us….he and Poetic are probably working on a track together. To save the youth I’ll give you further updates.. after I awake………. From rest..

Wu-International: Thanks, having come up and maintained a following in the game for all
these years, how has your views changed over time with your approach towards making music and the perspective that you have now as opposed to when you were a young up and coming MC?
Frukwan: No.. in my case I was always with a Group , Stetsasonic, then Gravediggaz, so now my approach is to teach my ministry, the culture of Hip Hop, cause I live it everyday, not to mention there will be another Gravediggaz coming soon, hopefully by the end of the year.

Last edited by Slang Editorial on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 11:49 am

Wu-International: Oh word? We will touch on that shortly, on our last interview we asked if you will be releasing any unreleased songs you had with Poetic and you said you would have to contact the family first to get their blessing, has this happened yet?
Frukwan: No I haven’t been in touch with his family.

Wu-International: What about the others, when hen last did you see The RZA or Prince Paul and what is your current relationship with both of them?
Frukwan: Currently been touring with RZA on the Rock The Bells tours, and promoting Greatness, and building with RZA on the next Gravediggaz concept, I haven’t really been in touch with Prince Paul …if my fans see him first, tell them to tell Paul to hit me up, I miss building with him {Laughs}.

Wu-International: Sure... Gravediggaz pretty much became just you and Poetic before his
unfortunate departure, fans still debate about it, RZA still talks about its possibilities in concerts, how close or doable do you think another Gravediggaz album is?
Frukwan: Already in motion, songs have been laid down. And we are looking forward to this Final saga of the Gravediggaz. With new members Kinetic 9, Shabazz The Disciple, 9th Prince, Killah Priest, Prodigal Sun and Alim.
Wu-International: No Warcloud then? Wow, fans will go mad hearing that, half Killarmy and half Sunz Of Man which were intial contributors in the past!! thats the most exciting news we have heard in ages. You are obviously back in the Wu circle, seen pictures of you with the likes of Black Knights, Popa Wu, Cappadonna etc early this year, was this in California and what even was this?

Frukwan: Yes, Cali and NY. But when I was promoting my music in Cali. I had support from my Brothas from the west coast, who also welcomed me in the Wu West Coast family Cipher, so I guess now I’m know as a Grand Master teacher, with The RZA's blessings, being one of the elders in the Wu family, I just want to see the Godz build and stop the BS…..we know we have a responsibility to teach.

Wu-International: What was your involvement at this event, where you there to support or part of the actual event?

Frukwan: There were several events I attended with the Wu fam, and I received nothing but respect from fans and other artist alike.

Wu-International: What was it like connecting with Wu-tang members and Killa Beez fam again and did you get a chance to record new materials with some or any of them?
Frukwan: yes I have recorded with RZA, Kinetic 9, and Shavo. From ACHOZEN, also dropped a verse on the Black Knights new up coming LP.

Wu-International: That's really major for any Wu fan to hear, how did you pair up with RoyalSunn Enterprises (also responsible for the likes of Beretta 9 and Leggazin Fin)?
Frukwan: RoyalSunn are my peeps, and have been for a minute, but they been on my side since day one of the Wu trilogy, now that I have returned to life. RSE Got my back. So anyone wanting to make trade for access to me contact RSE.

Wu-International: Is this like a management, label company? What are their responsibilities?
Frukwan: Keeping it in the family and keeping the family busy with events, shows, and film.

Wu-International: Apart from seeing you featured on NLZ mixtape, fans hardly see
you doing features, are there features out there you would like to share with us or is that something you are not particularly interested in doing?
Frukwan: TBA

Wu-International: Hip-hop keeps changing and must have gone through many transitions since you first started out, how do you feel about Hip-hop’s current state?
Frukwan: The current state I think of Hip Hop is what it is… watered down, to a point that it has opened the door for the old school artist to make a run on tour now and perform their hits cause of the corporate taking over Hip Hop and the mirror image of it’s music called RAP.

Wu-International: Like to point out that it’s refreshing to see you are still educating and dropping knowledge in your rhymes, something that is missing in today’s hip-hop. There has been a recent debate about the use of auto tunes in hip-hop, what’s your take on that?
Frukwan: I don’t know much on that auto tune stuff. Please excuse me for that.

Wu-International: Sure we will {LOL} Ok, couple of random questions before we end this interview, if you could change anything about your career what would it be?
Frukwan: Nothing at all, I’ve had a great run. Since 1981. I’m still hear and I’m building and saving more lives then ever. Cause it’s not about the life style of the rich and infamous, cause for me…the greatest, riches is the Knowledge of self. It’s priceless and that’s why I’m still growing.

Wu-International: True indeed, what are your views on Obama?
Frukwan: That’s a good question, 1st of all how can there be such a person called a President, when this Government been bankrupt since 1933, when Roosevelt announced that on national TV. Which means that it has been a corporate takeover in 1914 by the M.I.C, and Roosevelt was the first of many corporate pitchmen. So sorry but Obama is just a new face of the cooperation. Now the secretary of treasury calls the shots cause he have to manage the bankruptcy. Americans need to really wake up. If the old can’t change their ways, then they need to let their children’s survive for the love of this land.

Wu-International: Ok, so moving along, what next do we have to look forward to from you?
Frukwan: I’m still working on fashion, and doing a lil' script reading now, but I
could promise that I will never sell out and i am currently working with Killarmy's Kinetic 9 on
some future projects…. Look out, here we come!

Wu-International: Looking forward to all that, any last words, message for the fans or anything you like to say that we might have missed?
Frukwan: Nuttin' I can think of now, but I want to really thank the fans for their unconditional love and support…so holla at me and let me know what you think of the album Greatness…………………………….Myspace.com/Frukwan, or Facebook, or twitter. and thanks to Wu-Int for letting me share my Journey.. PEACE!

Wu-International: No, no.. Thank you!!

Catch up with Frukwan, drop him a note, line, at
www.myspace.com/Frukwan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 12:00 pm

Good lookin on the article, Slang.

Kinda confused why put that mc/rapper shit in bold, but it's whatever. Frukwan is dope, I really wish he wouldn't try to do another Gravediggaz album without Too Poetic...but it's whatever. I'll pry check it out.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 12:08 pm

N3R0 of 0nslaught3r wrote:
Good lookin on the article, Slang.

Kinda confused why put that mc/rapper shit in bold, but it's whatever. Frukwan is dope, I really wish he wouldn't try to do another Gravediggaz album without Too Poetic...but it's whatever. I'll pry check it out.

i put that in bold i thought it was a good explanation of a lot of the younger rappers in the industry right now

and yea it would be weird without Too Poetic but if Shabazz, KP, 9th Prince, Beretta 9, and Prodigal are on it im definitely looking forward to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 12:21 pm

I'm definitely not. This won't be a Gravediggaz album, it will be random Wu affiliates rapping with Frukwan.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 1:11 pm

maybe but most of those guys were featured on the 1st and/or 2nd Gravediggaz album so at least theres some continuity there, i just hope Prince Paul will somehow be involved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 1:17 pm

I'm not saying it can't be dope, I just don't feel like this is a good look for Poetic's legacy. Especially if this album doesn't live up to the first three (no small feat IMO).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things   Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frukwan Interview, discusses future of the Gravediggaz, many other things
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: New Skool Hip Hop-
Jump to: