Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?

Go down 
+4
Jason
T. Myers
D.Powell
Funk Seoul Brother
8 posters
AuthorMessage

What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Empty
PostSubject: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2009, 11:21 pm

King Magazine, of all places, said that Ice Cube had the best 5 year run in hip hop ever. They based their findings on Straight Outta Compton, Amerikkkaz Most Wanted, Kill At Will, Death Certificate & Predator. I will admit that is an impressive lineup. I just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were and then I will add my 2 cents as always some time later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2009, 11:24 pm

2pac, by far. This ain't even counting movie soundtracks and shit.

94-99

Thug Life Vol. 1
Me Against the World
All Eyez on Me
Makaveli
R U Still Down
Greatest Hits
Still I Rise
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2009, 11:35 pm

My choice isn't tops but is pretty solid...Del

Both Sides of The Brain, Deltron 3030, 3rd Eye Vision, and Full Circle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 12:04 am

Moved to General HipHop
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 7:13 am

hmmm I would say its between:

A Tribe Called Quest

People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm (1990)
The Low End Theory(1991)
Midnight Marauders (1993)

Boomerang Soundtrack-Hot Sex On A Platter (1992)
Q-Tip's production on Illmatic (1994)

and my second pick would be

Run-D.M.C.

Run-D.M.C.(1984)
King Of Rock(1985)
Raising Hell (1986)
Tougher Than Leather (1988)

those are two of the most impressive runs in hip-hop history IMO
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 7:59 am

These are some good choices, but KRS One had the best 5 year run.

Criminal Minded(1987)
By All Means Necessary(1988)
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop(1989)
Edutainment(1990)
Sex and Violence(1992)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 8:06 am

First of all imo everyone is way off except t Myers and King Mag.

Scarface

Grip It
We Can't Be Stopped
Mr Scarface Is Back
World Is Yours
Till Death Do Us Part
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 8:57 am

Ice Cube is a good choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:20 am

This, naturally, is subjective but of course Pac, Cube, Face, and KRS had pretty good runs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:28 am

KRob86 wrote:
First of all imo everyone is way off except t Myers and King Mag.

Scarface

Grip It
We Can't Be Stopped
Mr Scarface Is Back
World Is Yours
Till Death Do Us Part

LMAO...Pac makes face look like a little bitch with his run, quantity and quality wise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:33 am

Also Jay Z deserves mention with
Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime Vol. 1
Hard Knock Life Vol. 2
Life & Times Vol. 3
The Dynasty

Too Short
Life Is...
Short Dog's In The House
Shorty The Pimp
Get In Where You Fit In
CockTails

Luda
Back For The First Time
Word Of Mouf
Chicken And Beer
Red Light District
Release Therapy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:35 am

I think if we went with these for Pac I would agree 100%

2Pacalyspe Now
Strictly 4 My
Thug Life Vol. 1
Me Against The World
All Eyes On Me
7 Day Theory

Now that's one of the best ever!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:42 am

I don't ever bump Stritcly honeslty except for Papa'z Song, but I could definitely see it that way too.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:44 am

Actually Terry you may be right man...Kris is a strong choice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 10:47 am

T. Myers wrote:

Criminal Minded(1987)
Edutainment(1990)
Sex and Violence(1992)

I can see why someone would say that, Criminal Minded and By All Means Necessary are hip-hop classics, but so are at least 3 of the Pac albums I listed. Personally it's Pac by quite a bit for me but some older heads will probably prefer KRS and I understand that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 11:06 am

T. Myers wrote:

Criminal Minded(1987)
Edutainment(1990)
Sex and Violence(1992)

Cosign! 4 of these are personal classics to me, if not hip-hop classics as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 11:15 am

Personally, I feel The Grouch had an excellent 5-year run:

# 1996 - Nothing Changes
# 1997 - Success Is Destiny
# 1998 - Fuck The Dumb
# 1999 - Making Perfect Sense
# 2000 - They Don't Have This

However, I only got one at 5 stars, I have 2 at 4.5 and the others at 4.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 11:18 am

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince is up there!

Rock the House (1987)
He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper (1988)
And in This Corner… (1989)
Homebase (1991)
Code Red (1993)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 11:28 am

4 classics in a row for 'Kast! Even if it's a little over 5 years.

# 1994: Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
# 1996: ATLiens
# 1998: Aquemini
# 2000: Stankonia
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 4:52 pm

As far as solo rappers go, I'm going with KRS-One. All of his work with BDP was either classic or near classic.

As far as groups go, My vote goes to Public Enemy.

1987: Yo! Bumrush The Show
1988: It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
1990: Fear Of A Black Planet
1991: Apocalyspe '91: The Enemy Strikes Back
1992: Public Enemy's Greatest Misses (an album with remixes and 6 new tracks)

All those albums are bangin!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 4:56 pm

I think Yo! and Greatest Misses kill that theory for best 5 yr. run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 5:25 pm

KRob86 wrote:

I could see Greatest Misses killing it, but "Yo!"? That one's like BDP's "Criminal Minded". More raw, but definitely essential to the collection.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 5:42 pm

Jay-Z? lmao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 6:21 pm

Well Terry, I can see that great minds think alike. My choice was also KRS ONE. Obviously Criminal Minded and By All Means are the 2 strongest CDs, but Ghetto Music, Edutainment and Sex & Violence were no slouches either. The 1st 3 Tribes work for me, The 1st 3 Outkast's work 4 me, Ice Cube works for me and Face works for me as well. I agree with you Lord Emperor. It's hard to argue either of those names being wrong. My personal choice would be KRS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 6:25 pm

Well do we need them to have dropped an album in each of those five years? A lot of those people work well for it so I could go with anyone of those choices. There's probably more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 6:26 pm

KRob86 wrote:

Yo! is a consensus hip-hop classic Kev. As for Greatest Misses, it was a remix album for the most part, so you can't really judge it like an album with all new material.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 11:16 pm

MF DOOM
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009, 11:25 pm

Definitely Public Enemy. 1987 - 1991 is 5 years so you dont even have to include "Greatest Misses"

"YO!" through "Apocalypse" are all classics no question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re:   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009, 5:31 am

All good picks but if we count RZA as a producer/rapper I think nobody can funk with him. From 93 to 97 he had Enter The 36 Chambers, Tical, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Return To The 36 Chambers, Liquid Swords, Ironman and Wu-Tang Forever. I don't think there will ever be another streak like that. ALL CLASSICS. And you can chuck in Gravediggaz 6 Feet Deep if you want
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009, 10:53 am

Damn, I don't know why he hasn't been mentioned yet, but the fuckin' Original Gangster needs some attention here:

Rhyme Pays (1987)
Power (1988)
The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech...Just Watch What You Say (1989)
O.G. Original Gangster (1991)

The last 3 are all 5-star classics IMO. I can see those who say Rhyme Pays is a classic as well, but I personally give 4 stars. Either way, Ice-T is up there with the greats with his greatest run.

How he did not make the top 100 is beyond me. Let alone top 50. Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 3:56 pm

Rakim?

Paid In Full - 1987
Follow The Leader - 1988
Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em - 1990
Don't Sweat The Technique - 1992

I'm sure most would consider at least the first three classics.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 4:05 pm

Public Enemy is another strong pick for group with the best five year run good call Kool John

they murdered it during that run!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 6:07 pm

Good look on Ice-T Pounds, the man is one of the best.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 6:13 pm

ILLmatic wrote:
Rakim?

Paid In Full - 1987
Follow The Leader - 1988
Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em - 1990
Don't Sweat The Technique - 1992

I'm sure most would consider at least the first three classics.
Good call man. DSTT is the best out of the 4 in my book. Quite under appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 6:57 pm

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
Damn, I don't know why he hasn't been mentioned yet, but the fuckin' Original Gangster needs some attention here:

Rhyme Pays (1987)
Power (1988)
The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech...Just Watch What You Say (1989)
O.G. Original Gangster (1991)

The last 3 are all 5-star classics IMO. I can see those who say Rhyme Pays is a classic as well, but I personally give 4 stars. Either way, Ice-T is up there with the greats with his greatest run.

How he did not make the top 100 is beyond me. Let alone top 50. Suspect

Ice T DID make the Top 100. He just didn't make the Top 50 (I was one of those that voted for him in the Top 50 though).

On a side note, GREAT call by Illmatic by picking Rakim. I would have picked him too but I forgot what year DSTT came out. I thought it was 93. I think he had the best run for solo rappers, and PE had it for groups.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 8:22 pm

Steve wrote:
I can see why someone would say that, Criminal Minded and By All Means Necessary are hip-hop classics, but so are at least 3 of the Pac albums I listed. Personally it's Pac by quite a bit for me but some older heads will probably prefer KRS and I understand that.

Ok, but four of those albums are classics with Sex & Violence being around 4.5.

No way Pac measures up to that...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 8:44 pm

IMO Pac measures up well from 2PacNow-7 Day Theory with BDP.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 9:21 pm

agreed Krob
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 9:34 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Steve wrote:

Ok, but four of those albums are classics with Sex & Violence being around 4.5.

No way Pac measures up to that...

That my friend is called bias.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 10:19 pm

BDP makes classic albums and I'm the biased one? And how does that work, precisely?

Anyway, I don't think 2Pacalypse Now is a classic album. Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.Z. is loaded with skip material (see: not a classic either). He didn't start crafting classics until Me Against The World and it could be argued that All Eyez On Me got pushed by bandwagoneers and isn't a legit classic since it, too, is loaded with skip material. The Makaveli LP was a classic. So, if you look at the 5 albums Pac completed while he was alive, he only dropped two flawless, legitimate classics.

That, Steve, does not make me biased in anyway...that makes me a person that can analyze something without it...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?   What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What MC, based on discography, had the best 5 year run in hip hop?
Page 1 of 1