Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 borderline racist white rappers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 6:30 am

I couldn't help to notice that some of these white rappers sound like they have a HUGE chip on their shoulders about being white, so they feel like they are a part of some "struggle" of some sort. For example, RA Scion made quite a few references of "his people" struggling in his Tobacco Road album. MadSon of Unknown Prophets mentions in a song where he was reminicing about "knowing where "we" were from".

Not to mention, I was listening to Blue Scholars, and I felt that other minoritiy emcees (cough,Geologic, cough)are really trying HARD to connect themselves to the Civil Rights Movement that Blacks went through. Are they minimizing or trying to capitalize on the fact that the Civil Rights happened by attempting to tie in their "struggles"?

Maybe I'm just digging too deep into all of this and I could be wrong. It sounds to me like they are trying to capitalize on the Civil Rights movement by making up some struggle (cough RA Scion cough). I could be tripping, but what do you guys think about the whole thing?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

I noticed that also and Haystak is another one like that. But I kind of understand what some are saying when they are coming from the hip hop pov. Like how just because they are not black they automatically have this judgement on them without even hearing them first. And how we only allow so many of them to reach that top level because they have to be very very very very special where a black rapper can just be special. So it is a reverse race role playing thing going on. In life we are in the position at time like they are in rap. I feel some their pain when they speak on it well but I do not like the ones that try to maybe compare their struggle to average black youth or our past.

They have struggles to i'm sure so they have every right to speak on it like we do.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 10:44 am

A.Scott are you implying that because a person is white they aren't poor? That poor people's struggles are directly corelated to that of minorities? I really don't follow how RA Scion saying "his people" is somehow racist. I certainly understand that if you're just a passerby and don't really get into a certain artist's music you might take a random line the wrong way, but these dude's aren't like Woodpile who openly uses the term white power and you're not even talking about that vast amount of white mc's who use the n-word. If you don't want a white person connecting with your struggle, how could you possibly expect to be heard?

This all goes back to my previous (like, amazon old) conversations about race pre-occupying the poor's minds instead of class. Classism is a much more dangerous problem in america as the people in power definitely try to make everything about race so the poor are seperated and therefore can do nothing because we're too busy squabbling with each other. Look at the Republican party, all of it's prominent senators, governors, etc are men of wealth, but 90% of it's supporters are poor white men who are too stupid to realize that the rich white guys are just telling them to be scared of gays, minorities, etc so that the rich folks can stay in power. So everytime Stic.man goes off on a person in HIS audience about wearing a Marcus Garvy t-shirt (which is Dead Prez swag, btw) he's not only missing the fuckin point, he's also missing a great opprotunity for a discussion about why some one might identify with their struggle. Why would you chastize some one agreeing with you?

And, on a personal level, all of my black friends are "my people" and I address them as such probably every time I talk to them. Is that wrong? They certainly have no problem with me calling them "my dude" or whatever the case may be. My friend Patrick's most common "farewell" is "holla atcha people", do you see a problem with this? Is he self hating because he has a white friend? You might think I'm over-reacting but look at like this, you're basically saying that I, as a white person, have no right to identify with a black person. How many steps away from segregation is that? Do you have problem with inter-racial dating? Brother Ali talks about slavery on his next record, are you going to flip out about that too?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:04 pm

While I agree that the race issue undermines the class issue, Marcus Garvey was not involved in the class struggle.

If you look into it (Not saying that you haven't. But, if you have, I disagree with you're understanding.) Garvey was solely concerned with empowering and relocating his race. Also why white kids adopting Rastafarian tradition are really just silly to me.

A. Scott, while we are on the topic of Garveyism, I'm pretty sure that Seattle is home to a substantial Ethiopian population. Maybe Scion reps them in his fam tree, I dunno.

All in all, I'm with N3R0. People all over the world struggle. It's not a competition. If that is their tone (My people have struggled as bad/worse than your's) then yes, that's offensive.

As far as I can see, in this particular situation, you're the one doing just that. Manifesting your own accusations.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:08 pm

I wasn't necessarily combining those two arguments, I'm just saying that while it might look racist for a white kid to rock a Garvey t-shirt, maybe he just needs some education or maybe he's just trying to support his favorite rap group.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:21 pm

Yeah, I don't see any racism in white Garveyism/Rastafarian. It's definitely innocent ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A


Posts : 310
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36
Location : From KC to K-State

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm

a.scott wrote:
Not to mention, I was listening to Blue Scholars, and I felt that other minoritiy emcees (cough,Geologic, cough)are really trying HARD to connect themselves to the Civil Rights Movement that Blacks went through. Are they minimizing or trying to capitalize on the fact that the Civil Rights happened by attempting to tie in their "struggles"?

I think you need to read up about the Civil Rights Movement.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:26 pm

LMAO.


Justice has a point though... it wasn't the BLACK civil rights movement... just the civil rights movement... meaning that the point was equality for all, regardless of race.

I think the one with a chip on their shoulders is you since you seem to try to generalize very personal references and experiences by those emcees into some sort of thievery of the civil rights movement. I don't think any of them said "we struggled in the civil rights movement" and even if they did, there were other races involved in that struggle, albeit they were the minority.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A


Posts : 310
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36
Location : From KC to K-State

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:31 pm

They weren't a minority. The civil rights movement started with my people 10 years earlier (El Movimiento). It's just the media and pop culture focuses on the Black part of it.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 41
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 12:45 pm

Justice wrote:
They weren't a minority. The civil rights movement started with my people 10 years earlier (El Movimiento). It's just the media and pop culture focuses on the Black part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_American_Civil_Rights_Movement
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 6:58 pm

a.scott wrote:
MadSon of Unknown Prophets mentions in a song where he was reminicing about "knowing where "we" were from".

What song? It's kind of vague since they are always speaking like that. It seems to me he's talking about a struggle to be heard or recognized in the industry. That lyric could mean anything. I doubt it has to do a thing with the civil rights movement. In fact, I don't think any of the examples do...at least IMO...but what do I know? I'm white right. lol
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 8:29 pm

Cosign Kevin. You hit the nail on the head. Cool

Thanks for the Link Norf.

Nero:

The only struggle whites have had was poverty (depending on the location of where they live). Now I have seen racism in StL regarding white families in a predominiantly black neighborhood and it could get downright evil. THAT struggle, I can understand. But poverty in itself is a struggle everybody has to overcome regardless of race. I never said that if you're white then you can't be poor. You complety missed the point.

Alan

Honestly, I could care less about a white person in a Marcus Garvey or Bob Marley t-shirt. People wear what they want to wear. If they like Bob Marley then that's fine. He makes good music. Marcus Garvey had very good intentions when he started his movement. It's too bad it got squashed though. I think Dead Prez was trying to say that the dude with the shirt had no real concept of what Blacks have gone through at all. True it was wrong to single out the fan because of that.

That song by MaD SoN was "Times Like These". It doesn't have anything to do with the Civil Rights Movement, but he does touch on how things used to be, and how much they are missed in his eyes. As far as the past goes, I personally have no reason to go back in time. Time was very hard on blacks, so why the hell would I want to ever travel to "back in the day". I guess I'm a here and now kind of person, and I could care less about reminicing about the so called "good old days" unless it pertains to hip hop, cartoons, and video games.

Other than that, I have no real affection for the past at all, unless I'm reading about history.

SRP:

You listened to Blue Scholars before, right? Geologic is always mentioning MLK. It is true that he comes from immigrant decendents (which I can understand that part about him), but dude comes off like he was (or is) treated horribly or just as bad as blacks. To tell you the truth, sometimes it sounds like he is whining in general. Don't get me wrong, he does make some good songs, but all of that whining gets in the way sometimes.

Kid Joe
You could be right about RA Scion representing the Etihopian culture. But as you said the "tone" of the music as in ' My people have struggled as bad/worse than your's" is what I feel that comes out in Geologic, and RA Scion.

So Justice. Did you check out that link that Norf posted? What are your thoughts on that?


Last edited by a.scott on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 717
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 47
Location : Maputo, Mozambique

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 8:33 pm

I lost a little respect for 3rd Bass because Pete Nice and MC Search both tried too much to sound black.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 8:37 pm

"And they say progress but the fact is
Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy is lookin' like the street we named after him
Permanently under construction, the people hustlin'
Despite the pain and sufferin' the energy we've mustered in
South side Seattle there's a whole lot happenin'
Where so called soul mates are stabbin' each other's scapulas
Melancholy hopeful I capture the present moment we consummated the marriage of beats, rhymes, and atonement
In each mind resides a potential so potent they make us think that we ain't got it"

Tell me how is this borderline racist? MLK street is under construction here, but it's still ghetto as fuck. That's just one example.


Last edited by Space Muzik on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 8:38 pm

Zoltar wrote:
I lost a little respect for 3rd Bass because Pete Nice and MC Search both tried too much to sound black.

That's another thing. I can understand if a person grew up around blacks, and they talk that way, but when some surbanite fool spends hours in the mirror trying to perfect that swag, and mannerism based on rap videos alone, hoping they can get some black friends so they can be "cool" or "in" then smh.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 9:44 pm

Swag is a wack word...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 10:09 pm

The Real Real Jeru wrote:
Swag is a wack word...


I agree.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A


Posts : 310
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36
Location : From KC to K-State

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 10:15 pm

a.scott wrote:
So Justice. Did you check out that link that Norf posted? What are your thoughts on that?

I did and I didn't learn anything new.... The term civil rights movement generally refers to a time period starting in the early to mid 50's and ending in the late 70's early 80's. It was a world wide event where equal civil rights were sought for all. In my poorly worded post I implied that the Latino community started the civil rights movement, and that was not my intent. What I was trying to convey is that it was more than just the African-American community. I also never meant to imply that the Latino community has had it "harder" than any other ethnic group, just that we were part of the movement too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 11:25 pm

...A.Scott, the fact you think the only thing white people have struggled with is poverty is flat retarded. Again, I'm not comparing my struggle with any other race, I'm just saying that as a white person I know I've had more problems than just being poor. You addressed one point I made, and that's it. I'm done discussing this matter with you.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:01 am

N3R0 of 0nSlaught3r wrote:
...A.Scott, the fact you think the only thing white people have struggled with is poverty is flat retarded. Again, I'm not comparing my struggle with any other race, I'm just saying that as a white person I know I've had more problems than just being poor. You addressed one point I made, and that's it. I'm done discussing this matter with you.
Anyways...
I don't have a problem with interracial dating at all. I don't care about who a person chooses to love. Love has no colour, nor is it my business to worry about who is fucking who. Nor do I have a problem with white people who have black friends. Friendship is also based on just that...friendship regardless of race, NOT self hate. In fact, my best friend is a white muslim woman, which also means that I don't have any beef about Brother Ali. I have his cd's and I'm getting his latest one as well.

Did you not see me cosign Kevin?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:05 am

I know that friendship isn't based on anything but friendship, but for you to imply that white man can't empathize with a black man is flat out ridiculous. I was exaggerating the statements you made above to try to show you how asinine they sound. If I have a black friend and he's having a rough time with racism or whatever, I can't say I know what it's like to have a shitty day? I may not know exactly what he's going through, but I've had bad days too as a result of my skin color. And to say that I know nothing of pain outside of being poor is just as insulting. That's what I call borderline racist.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:05 am

Justice wrote:
a.scott wrote:
So Justice. Did you check out that link that Norf posted? What are your thoughts on that?

I did and I didn't learn anything new.... The term civil rights movement generally refers to a time period starting in the early to mid 50's and ending in the late 70's early 80's. It was a world wide event where equal civil rights were sought for all. In my poorly worded post I implied that the Latino community started the civil rights movement, and that was not my intent. What I was trying to convey is that it was more than just the African-American community. I also never meant to imply that the Latino community has had it "harder" than any other ethnic group, just that we were part of the movement too.

Thank you for clearing that up. I can see your stance more clearly now.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:08 am

Space Muzik wrote:
"And they say progress but the fact is
Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy is lookin' like the street we named after him
Permanently under construction, the people hustlin'
Despite the pain and sufferin' the energy we've mustered in
South side Seattle there's a whole lot happenin'
Where so called soul mates are stabbin' each other's scapulas
Melancholy hopeful I capture the present moment we consummated the marriage of beats, rhymes, and atonement
In each mind resides a potential so potent they make us think that we ain't got it"

Tell me how is this borderline racist? MLK street is under construction here, but it's still ghetto as fuck. That's just one example.

I'll get back at you in a minute Space. I need to do a refresher course on Bayani and the self titled album.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:11 am

N3R0 of 0nSlaught3r wrote:
I know that friendship isn't based on anything but friendship, but for you to imply that white man can't empathize with a black man is flat out ridiculous. I was exaggerating the statements you made above to try to show you how asinine they sound. If I have a black friend and he's having a rough time with racism or whatever, I can't say I know what it's like to have a shitty day? I may not know exactly what he's going through, but I've had bad days too as a result of my skin color. And to say that I know nothing of pain outside of being poor is just as insulting. That's what I call borderline racist.

I did mention seeing instances of discrimination of whites in a predominately black neighborhood in StL and understanding the hardships of that didn't I?
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2009-08-28

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 7:50 am

I agree that everyone has struggled. Throughout time all people have suffered... going way back to Kings and Queens in the white man's world, many ruling societies did their very best for as long as they could, to keep the lower classes down. People were discriminated against and treated like animals. Over time people finally fought, rebelled, rioted, and laws gradually began to change.

Governments have always been corrupt, and always will be. I find it is pretty dispicable, that it was not that long ago since so much blatant discrimination has taken place, but overall, in a way I think it is a reflection of where this world is at, and how far (or not so far) it has come since that time. Australia is a tradgedy also, the poverty and problems of the indigenous peoples of this land are still largely ignored, the government throws money around everywhere at them, but it does not fix the core problems. It all goes into the "too hard basket". Many of this population live in poverty today, which is not acceptable.

We live in an imperfect world but the best thing I think individual people can do is strive for perfection, although it may be a very slow graduation. Seems to me sometimes shit has to go backwards before it can go forwards, so people can learn.

Sorry it wasn't quite on topic but just got thinking about stuff..
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 8:54 am

If we're going to say that the Civil Rights Movement began before it was named, why stop at American slavery?
Let's say it originated with Jews in Egypt.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 10:51 am

The Jews were never in Egypt Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 10:37 pm

Moses led the Jews from Egypt. Passover originates from the mythology of the plagues reigned down from the Old Testament God as punishment for enslaving his people.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 11:10 pm

There is absolutely no archaelogical evidence to support that.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 8:40 am

No, no factual evidence supports the Old Testament mythology.

However, there were plenty of Jews in Egypt. While the Pharoah was in power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephantine_papyri
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Mon 14 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
No, no factual evidence supports the Old Testament mythology.

However, there were plenty of Jews in Egypt. While the Pharoah was in power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephantine_papyri

WEll. it depends on what Jews youre talking about. As for as these White Jews,Sienfields,Speilbergs,ect. No there is no archeological evidence European Jews were slaves in Eqypt, or even the original habitants of Israel. Forensic science strongly favor the Ethiopians as the biblical Jews. But Jew is not a RACE. So anyone can be a Jew. White people laugh at the thought of Black Jews, as that a priviledge only bestowed for Europeans. But there's a book out there claiming Egypt never had slaves anyway. But as of now these European Jews pretty much run the show and we're all enslaved by them.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Mon 14 Sep 2009, 5:21 pm

Theres a MLK St. here in Indianapolis that turns into Michigan Rd once you pass 38th St. The MLK side is mainly all Blacks living there, and ofcourse alot of liquor stores,hookers and so forth. Once you pass 38 st the scenery change. Mainly White middle class house and Butler University is located right off Michigan Rd. The city was gonna rename the whole street MLK all the way to 96th were it turns to a SR but people protested it. I guess they feel once there st turns to MLK itll bring in alot of blacks and crime.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Mon 14 Sep 2009, 5:30 pm

Blacks people "civil rights" movement started in this country once we exited the slave boat,dont forget that you dumb krackaz. Not to mention Africans had a bloody civil rights movement in Africa were singing WE SHALL OVER COME" wouldn't cut it. Boys was grabbing those choppaz. Who oppressed who more? Poverty is NOT an issue. As African tribes and Indians system of wealth is vastly different than the Europeans who only care about material objects. And what Whites did to compemsate Blacks and Indians? NOT A GOOD DAAM THANG!!!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   Mon 14 Sep 2009, 5:51 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
Theres a MLK St. here in Indianapolis that turns into Michigan Rd once you pass 38th St. The MLK side is mainly all Blacks living there, and ofcourse alot of liquor stores,hookers and so forth. Once you pass 38 st the scenery change. Mainly White middle class house and Butler University is located right off Michigan Rd. The city was gonna rename the whole street MLK all the way to 96th were it turns to a SR but people protested it. I guess they feel once there st turns to MLK itll bring in alot of blacks and crime.

There's a MLK street in St. Louis. A set of projects are there, goes a very long way, and the street intersects Compton. In Ogden there is a MLK street, located near Ceazar Chavez ave. The area is run down pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: borderline racist white rappers   

Back to top Go down
 
borderline racist white rappers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Mr.Electric's "The White Metal Show"
» Funky Swedish white boys.
» Barry White '75 DVD 5.1 Sound
» Lenny White's quote on 21 century Radio
» Lenny White's New Label and New CD

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: