Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brother Ali - Us

Go down 
+5
parker lewis
Laced With Slang
Alan
T. Myers
Jason
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 9:37 am

This album leaked a few days ago. I haven't given it many listens, just twice through, but it's definitely another strong album. Too early to know where it stands in his catalog, but I can say he's building himself a great discography, and I think Ant continues to get more diverse in his sound. I already prefer this to Jay and Raekwon.

Tracklist:
1. Brothers And Sisters (Feat. Chuck D. & Stokley Williams)
2. The Preacher
3. Crown Jewel
4. House Keys
5. Fresh Air
6. Tight Rope
7. Breakin’ Dawn
8. The Travelers
9. Babygirl
10. ‘Round Here
11. Bad Mufucker Pt. II
12. Best @ it (Feat. Freeway & Joell Ortiz)
13. Games
14. Slippin’ Away
15. You Say (Puppy Love)
16. US (Feat. Stokley Williams)
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 9:39 am

I'll be disappointed if it's less than 4.5 stars, but there is no way it will be less than 4 stars. Ali has set the bar that high.
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 10:59 am

gas cost more than .47 cents hoe...
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 11:01 am

i cant believe people with such a discerning ear for hiphop would like this joker.

to me he is straight t-r-a-s-h
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 11:08 am

I don't like him either.. but terry was being a hoe so I had to chin check him
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 2:14 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
i cant believe people with such a discerning ear for hiphop would like this joker.

We all know the only white rappers you like are blond hair and blue eyed pretty boys.

I'm expecting this to be top 5 material of '09.
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 2:30 pm

Al, as a big fan of Ali, this isn't the classic shit I've come to expect from Ali & Ant. Still dope, but in the 4-4.5 area for me.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 2:38 pm

N3ro wrote:
Al, as a big fan of Ali, this isn't the classic shit I've come to expect from Ali & Ant. Still dope, but in the 4-4.5 area for me.

Not bad....

Was the new EP 4.5-5 star material to you? I still have that at 5 personally....though it does rank lower on my overall '09 list because it's an EP in a sea of LPs. Anyway...

I'm doing a blind buy on this one. I probably initially gave "Undisputed Truth" 4 stars at first as well, but it even hit me more over the next 1-2 years after...I give it 4.5 now. I'll try to keep my expectations in check though. lol
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 2:42 pm

Alan wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:

We all know the only white rappers you like are blond hair and blue eyed pretty boys.

sorry i dont make it a point to pay every shitty generic midwesterns rappers rent.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 2:51 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
Alan wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:

sorry i dont make it a point to pay every shitty generic midwesterns rappers rent.

You listen to a bunch of stuff I find generic and boring as well. Different strokes...

A lot of people dig Ali...
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 2:59 pm

The ONLY complaints I had with the EP was Palm The Joker was too short and the album itself was too short. This new album didn't hit with me. I agree about his last album being 4 stars til you listen to it a few times. The Champion EP was similar to me as well in that regard, but I don't know if this album will grow on me. Only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 3:19 pm

N3ro wrote:
The ONLY complaints I had with the EP was Palm The Joker was too short and the album itself was too short.

But it's actually pretty length for an EP. Most EP's are shorter.

It's nice to see more than an album's worth of material from Ali in one year though. The gap between Shadows and Undisputed was 4 years (and 3 years from the first EP).
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 3:21 pm

Yeah I'm cool and honestly even the songs containing subjects I didn't care for (a song about a woman breaking into her old apartment, slavery) could have worked better if Ant had been more on his shit. Truthfully this new style of samples over old-school keyboard basslines wears thin after half the album. It's dope, again, don't get me wrong but I was just surprised because it seems like stuff that could have been fixed rather easily. It's much more like a "collection of songs" than "album" when I expect the latter from these two. I digress.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 3:29 pm

The Real Real Jeru wrote:
gas cost more than .47 cents hoe...

Y'all are some cheap ass ho's. Kev ordered the last Bro Ali when it came out and he never got it. He had to listen to everyone talk about how dope it was, and there wasn't a whole lot he could do. I just don't understand why someone would order online when they can walk into any Best Buy and have it in hand for the same price. SMH, you shouldn't even be talking about saving gas considering you drive all the way across Texas every other weekend for some pussy.
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 3:31 pm

Kev deserved it for talking shit on the sly.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 19 Sep 2009, 5:40 pm

i've only heard his first album, hes dope i might be checking this out
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 9:46 pm

This album is dope as fuck IMO.

4.5 stars after 2 listens.
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 9:51 pm

Hmmm... so a 3.5 for 7.99 - I don't know if I will go for it this time - maybe - but I might want to hit up some of Brother Ali's better work first.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm

Big disappointment. Should've spent my 7.99 toward the new Children of Bodom.

Best Buy has a horrible hip-hop selection.

On "Us"... Just flat. Ali does what he does, but Ant absolutely does not deliver.

I am a fan of Shadows and Undisputed. Us fucking blows.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 10:09 pm

Kid Joe wrote:

On "Us"... Just flat. Ali does what he does, but Ant absolutely does not deliver.

Really Parker? This is some of Ant's best work period IMO. Gotta say I already like it more than Undisputed Truth as well. Both Ali & Ant stepped it up iMO.

EDIT: But I don't like it more than "Shadows On The Sun". That will probably always be my favorite.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 10:45 pm

None of these tracks pop the way those albums do.
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 11:41 pm

I co-sign Parker. I think it's a decent enough album, but none of the material strikes me as much as anything on his previous albums.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep 2009, 8:01 am

I think the common consensus is that that Ali does his thing on the album. If you like the direction Any is going with his beats, you will love the album. If not, you will be disappointed. I am one of the people who like Ant's direction as of late. the album's sitting around 4.5 stars to me.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep 2009, 12:34 pm

It floats back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars for me, so 3.75 stars in my book.

It's a dope album. Regurgitated dope, but still dope nonetheless...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Jason
Jason

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep 2009, 3:38 pm

I think Ant and Ali are better on this than on Undisputed Truth. Ant's been getting more diverse and creative with his production, and while Ali might never match the emotional power of Shadows on the Sun, just because of where he was in life and his career at that point, his overall songwriting and delivery are at their peak here.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep 2009, 4:33 pm

Just got it and can't wait to listen to it. Ali always comes with solid material.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 1:38 am

Kid Joe wrote:

Lol......no, instead go buy Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear....I'm not usually into indie rock shit I'll make an exception here. They played the album live on the Radiohead tour in 08 (i went to the Radiohead concert in Cleveland by the way) and boy did it sound good. But if you really need some metal get Remission by Mastodon or Jane Doe by Converge.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 8:57 am

T. Myers wrote:
I think the common consensus is that that Ali does his thing on the album. If you like the direction Any is going with his beats, you will love the album. If not, you will be disappointed. I am one of the people who like Ant's direction as of late. the album's sitting around 4.5 stars to me.

I'm not sure what's not to like about Ant's production.

Still a solid 4.5 stars after like 15 spins. Could reach a higher rating IMO. I don't skip anything, where I skipped about 3 tracks on Undisputed Truth. Still not quite as strong as "Shadows" IMO, but easily his 2nd best so far IMO.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 9:09 am

Alan wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Still a solid 4.5 stars after like 15 spins. Could reach a higher rating IMO. I don't skip anything, where I skipped about 3 tracks on Undisputed Truth. Still not quite as strong as "Shadows" IMO, but easily his 2nd best so far IMO.

I think its because people grew accustomed to Ant's older production, and they're not really feeling his new production. I think it's among the best of his career.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 9:13 am

T. Myers wrote:
Alan wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I think its because people grew accustomed to Ant's older production, and they're not really feeling his new production. I think it's among the best of his career.

I mean, his shit was always funky. So I don't see the big change, really. If anything, it's more layered & complex (& engineered better).
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 9:21 am

I like it and I agree Alan that the album seems engineered or mixed down better, it has a real crisp sound. And it does not sound that much different from all his other albums I mean he is still kicking plenty of emotion in his rhymes, still touching on social subjects, and Ant still is bringing that bluesy funk beats I luv. Kinda like that RAL sound back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 9:30 am

KRob86 wrote:
I like it and I agree Alan that the album seems engineered or mixed down better, it has a real crisp sound. And it does not sound that much different from all his other albums I mean he is still kicking plenty of emotion in his rhymes, still touching on social subjects, and Ant still is bringing that bluesy funk beats I luv. Kinda like that RAL sound back in the day.

I agree. It was mixed better and it shows (just like the EP that came before it). And I definitely think Ali is more focused lyrically than he was on Undisputed Truth. I think that's mostly because he's made it and has more time, money and resources to execute it all so quickly (as opposed to the 4 year wait between Shadows & Undisputed). He just had a clearer vision this time through IMO.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 10:16 am

Kendrick Davis wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

Lol......no, instead go buy Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear....I'm not usually into indie rock shit I'll make an exception here. They played the album live on the Radiohead tour in 08 (i went to the Radiohead concert in Cleveland by the way) and boy did it sound good. But if you really need some metal get Remission by Mastodon or Jane Doe by Converge.

That's not a bad suggestion, it's been a great year for indie rock and that's one of the best albums.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 11:37 am

Jason wrote:
Kendrick Davis wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

That's not a bad suggestion, it's been a great year for indie rock and that's one of the best albums.

It's actually the best album of the year for me so far.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 11:55 am

I have a hard time pinning down an absolute best, I have it at about even with albums by Camera Obscura, the Mountain Goats, the Love Language, Animal Collective, St. Vincent, Dirty Projectors, Joe Henry, the Antlers, Sunset Rubdown, Bowerbirds and the Big Pink.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 3:30 pm

Children Of Bodom>>>>>Grizzly Bear
Back to top Go down

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 4:52 pm

4 star album after the 1st spin, not quite as good as his last two albums, but dope nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 2:08 am

Shaun wrote:
Children Of Bodom>>>>>Grizzly Bear

^ The above opinion is incorrect and does not represent the ideas of those with good musical taste.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Brother Ali - Us Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brother Ali - Us   Brother Ali - Us Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 2:42 pm