Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?

Go down 
+3
Shaun
D.Powell
Dang! Trotter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Empty
PostSubject: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:08 pm

As of lately Ive been listening to a alot of Fat Boys. But I can't help but notice their later material sorta suck. Like P.Diddy did remixes of 80's songs FatBoys did remixes of 50's songs! On the real, their later singles sucked donkey nuts. No wonder they were swepted under the rug by the likes of RunDmc and Beastie Boys. I think the fame got to them after they did the movie Disorderlies. Their later singles were LOUI,LOUI, Sex Machine,Wipe Out, and The Twist! C'mon THE TWIST! They actually did a fucking remake of THE TWIST!!! On top of that they switched their style up and sounded too similar to RunDmc. Also in their later videos all you saw was White girls and super duper high yellow "black" girls.

Fun fact: The video Can I Feel It was shot in Brazil and it showed crowds of Black people on the street following behind a float were Fatboys were rhyming on. But only White girls were actually on the float dancing next to the Fatboys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 7:35 pm

How the fuck were they sellouts? They were a gimmicky group to begin with so of course they're gonna be milked for their marketability.

That said, I liked them. Their first two albums were classics.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 8:08 pm

Umm Trotter kill that noise on an absolute classic pioneering hip-hop group like The Fat Boys man...yeah they slipped in their later years but so did a bunch of others....like KJ said their first two albums were classic and I honestly think every overweight emcee: Bizmarkie, Heavy D, Biggie, 8 Ball..etc...owes them a debt of thanks...before The Fat Boys....real life fat boys were probably too damn shy to even think about going near a mic...lol

they made it cool to be whatever you are and they seemed to have made fun doing it...a classic, legendary group right there man
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 8:10 pm

Trotter knows about their legendary/pioneer status and whatnot; he's asking about their later ish sampling and recreating poppy 50s songs.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 8:58 pm

Their later material is definitely weak towards the end of their career (1988-1991). My favorite is their debut, followed by their sophomore, followed by "Crushin'", which I think is actually a pretty great album.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 9:23 pm

Buff is one of the best beat boxers of all time!
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 9:24 pm

Does anyone remember Markie D's solo?
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:28 pm

lol...I own the solo debut. Didn't he make a second, though?
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 11:22 pm

Shaun wrote:
Trotter knows about their legendary/pioneer status and whatnot; he's asking about their later ish sampling and recreating poppy 50s songs.

Umm thanks Shaun...lol...yeah they did that too...it was wack..what's this thread about again??
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 12:44 am

Well, you started talking about their classics and how they influenced people, which was sort of irrelevant...
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 8:25 am

Shaun wrote:
Well, you started talking about their classics and how they influenced people, which was sort of irrelevant...

Trotter is bringing up something irrelevant about a pioneering group so I feel I answered his question with some facts Shaun, the fact that The Fat Boys did those corny ass remakes does NOTHING to their overall standing and legacy in the hip-hop game, they are still LEGENDS, so that's why I asked what's this thread about again?? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 10:06 am

D.Powell wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Trotter is bringing up something irrelevant about a pioneering group so I feel I answered his question with some facts Shaun, the fact that The Fat Boys did those corny ass remakes does NOTHING to their overall standing and legacy in the hip-hop game, they are still LEGENDS, so that's why I asked what's this thread about again?? lol

Yes it does that is just as much apart of their legacy as Hammer's and VI. I like the Fat Boys and respect their pioneer status but they did sell out and that is very obvious.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 10:16 am

Kev, The Fat Boys were NEVER an underground group man...they started out talking about food and being stupid(i.e hit singles All You Can Eat, Fat Boys, Don't You Dog Me, etc)...how do you consider them "sell-outs" when they were always a very commercial group?? that makes no sense to me...that bullshit that Trotter is talking about does not hurt their legacy in the least....

Ya'll need to do some reading quick...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fat_Boys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 10:24 am

D.Powell wrote:
Kev, The Fat Boys were NEVER an underground group man...they started out talking about food and being stupid(i.e hit singles All You Can Eat, Fat Boys, Don't You Dog Me, etc)...how do you consider them "sell-outs" when they were always a very commercial group?? that makes no sense to me...that bullshit that Trotter is talking about does not hurt their legacy in the least....

Ya'll need to do some reading quick...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fat_Boys

I bet they did not rap like that when they were the disco 3 and they were undaground then. Plus even though they had comical/fun rhymes on their 1st deal it was still hip hop through and through but when you cover Wipeout, The Twist, etc etc you are trying to crossover or stay relevant. I remember reading a article where one of them admits they did and that was a big mistake they made.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 10:39 am

The Twist, Wipeout and all that other junk was wack, but like I said before The Fat Boys were never a "dark", or serious underground group Kev even as the Disco Three...they were more like the 3 stooges..3 fat dudes who could rap...even the beatbox was just another way of them having some fun man...they didn't intend for it to start so many trends or for it to be so groundbreaking, I've heard them say that they did the beatbox because not only were they having fun but they were too broke to afford a drum machine so they needed another way to make the beats...and any group that talks about eating and food pretty much out the gate cannot be taken to serious right??

I guess the right way to say it would be that they sold out even more than they did when they first came out, but they were always like cartoon characters man...lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts?   Where the FATBOYS the first big sellouts? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 10:48 am