Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

White Jesus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 1:50 pm

Zachariah (aka New MC of Kanser) dropped his solo debut in '07. I've been bumping it like crazy for about a month. Here's my review:

A Local Legend's Solo Debut (4.5 stars), April 13, 2009

Zachariah (aka New MC) is a longtime veteran of the Twin Cities hip-hop scene. In 1997, Zach, Unicus, Mesh, & DJ Elusive formed Kanser (with Ant from Atmosphere producing) and independently released their first cassette, "Now". Their second cassette-only release, "Network" was even more ambitious, which featured one produced cut by Ant (Mesh took over production duties at this point), and guest rappers such as Slug (of Atmosphere), Eyedea (of E&A), Oddjobs, Felix (of Heiruspecs), & Try-D, among others. Kanser released their first CD in 2000 entitled "Inner City Outer Space", and have continue to stay very active in Minnesota's booming hip-hop scene through present day.

Big Zach is the epitome of a local rapper - and I mean that in the best way possible. Zach tells a series of in-depth stories throughout this disc which touches on friends, relationships, parties, working at sub shops, inner city life, scoring college chicks, and many more tales of his personal life. Zach simply reps his reality and the people that inspire him. While Zach is by no means a mind-blowing rapper, he does have a very comfortable and unique sounding flow that boasts his personality and great songwriting more than his actual mic skills. And while Zach takes his craft seriously, he does not take himself too seriously as a person - which is honestly a refreshing trait in my opinion.

The production here is excellent throughout, and really drives the album nicely. Big Jess (of Unknown Prophets), Ant (of Atmosphere), 84 Caprice, Greg Buck KAC, & Dillon Parker all make this album a very cohesive listen. The vibes are fun, soulful, and playful, which never borders on anything abstract; which keeps those heads nodding. I truly like the album all the way through, but my favorites are "Cool J Planets" featuring Desdamona, "Sub Shops" (produced by Ant), "White Jesus" (maybe the best cut here), and the Big Jess produced "Emo Rap", which is my personal favorite and the perfect closer.

While Zach is mostly a product of his local scene, that does not mean his vision of reality would not appeal others. The material here is top notch for a 10+ year veteran in the game. The love Zach has for the game is simply immeasurable - this is his true life on display.
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 6:36 pm

I seen this one on sale at accesshiphop but I never cop it because of the album title name...lol. You think I'll dig this one, Al?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 6:50 pm

I know one thing... SS would love this album
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 8:41 am

<Space Muzik> wrote:
I seen this one on sale at accesshiphop but I never cop it because of the album title name...lol. You think I'll dig this one, Al?

Is this C. Tran? Yes, I do think you will like it. I know you like smoother emcees, and zach fits the bill. I can up it for you if you want. Just say the word.

Shaun, you will like this one too. I know you dig Kanser. Plus, beats from Big Jess & Ant? How can you go wrong.
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 8:45 am

Shon wrote:
I know one thing... SS would love this album

SS probably would not like it, though I don't know. He's not from the burbs. He reps the inner city. He's real, and actually pretty unique. But it probably wouldn't fit the bill.

Kanser has 7 albums since 1997, 3 b-side comps, And this is Zach's first solo, and he's actually done a dope collab with a couple other emcees under the name Traditional Methods. Dude's definitely a vet in the game, and gets mad respect at least from the local scene and all his peers.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 2:01 pm

"SS probably would not like it, though I don't know. He's not from the burbs. He reps the inner city. He's real, and actually pretty unique. But it probably wouldn't fit the bill. "

LOL. I was completely joking. I just said it because he's white and the word 'white' is in the title.

I think I've heard parts of this before, I'm not sure, though.. I'll check it out
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 4:41 pm

Shon wrote:
"SS probably would not like it, though I don't know. He's not from the burbs. He reps the inner city. He's real, and actually pretty unique. But it probably wouldn't fit the bill. "

LOL. I was completely joking. I just said it because he's white and the word 'white' is in the title.

I think I've heard parts of this before, I'm not sure, though.. I'll check it out

I know that, but I seriously don't think he'd hate it....but maybe he would.
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeFri 08 May 2009, 10:38 pm

What does Kanser sound like in general Al?
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeFri 08 May 2009, 11:57 pm

Kanser is generic jazzy/positive hip-hop, nothing memorable, at least to this listener.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 2:03 am

"Kanser is generic jazzy/positive hip-hop, nothing memorable, at least to this listener."

The jazzy thing is dead on, they rap about life in general, basically. IMO, neither is a great lyricist, but there's some great production. Check out Future Retro Legacy, N3R0. I think you'd dig them
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 9:34 am

Hmmmm I'm not really into jazzy type shit. COuld you at least give me an artist they sound like?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 12:25 pm

Hmm... I guess Atmosphere, but on the jazzy Atmosphere stuff. Sample based and jazzy and ish
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 1:36 pm

Really? Like that's an accurate description?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 1:49 pm

I don't friggin' know. Ask Alan
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 2:18 pm

hmn
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 3:44 pm

Oh Trotter trotter trotter.
Back to top Go down

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 11:22 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Really? Like that's an accurate description?

Not all their music is jazzy. But the new one ("Future Retro Legacy") is definitely on the soulful tip. Lot's of 70s soul, but live instrumentation is also incorporated into it. Most of their material holds a positive, uplifting vibes. Nothing dark. Absolutely nothing abstract. Unicus & New MC (aka Zachariah) are not superb emcees by any means, but I think they are excellent songwriters and are good rappers. They rap about their reality. Personally, I like both rappers quite a bit, and New MC definitely has a more unique flow. Both rappers are considered local legends and get endless props from hometown fans. But you probably haven't heard much about them outside of MN....so it is some local shit even though they have 7 studio albums and 3 b-side comps. New MC has this solo album, and has also collaborated with others. Not to mention each rapper has appeared on many many many MN hip-hop albums.

They are kind of like Atmosphere, but more along the lines of Unknown Prophets/Big Jess. Outside of MN, I'd compare them to Crown City Rockers/Raashan Ahmad, Murs (with the soulful 9th backdrop), Blue Scholars, maybe Grip Grand.

Overall, I don't think it's really the sound I've know you to seek out, Nero. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

White Jesus Empty
PostSubject: Re: White Jesus   White Jesus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White Jesus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: