Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cormega- Born & Raised

Go down 
4 posters

Ratings
3.0 or lower
Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_lcap0%Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_lcap25%Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_rcap
 25% [ 2 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 25% [ 2 ]
 25% [ 2 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_lcap13%Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_lcap12%Cormega- Born & Raised Vote_rcap
 12% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage

Cormega- Born & Raised Empty
PostSubject: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 8:51 pm

What you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 8:55 pm

I give it 4 stars, although objectively I can see 4.25 for it. The production was excellent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 8:58 pm

As of now its sitting at a 3.5-3.75.....

I think this album is to safe or something is missing. I mean lyrically it is on point but Mega never changes up his flow. And I expected more out of these top notch producers to me they gave him their "no one ever picks these beats" beats. All this is off my1st real listen so who knows with time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 11:33 am

I thought this was a solid 4 when I first heard it, but after a couple more spins it's more 4.25-4.5 area. I think this is one of those albums that after Mega drops a couple more, we'll be wanting another album like this. One of those "grows on you" type joints which is perfectly fine. I got the vibe, too, that these were "leftover" beats, because (especially on the primo selections) they don't even have the producer's signature style. BUT, after a couple more spins, I'm now under the impression Mega picked beats that meshed well together and gave a specific feel for the album. I still don't like Mega Fresh X, and that A Capella joint is his weakest so far IMO. Other than that, pretty classic. Maybe I'll be able to overlook those two tracks in a few months.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 2:46 pm

Finally spun this one...

After the first listen, it sits around 4 stars for me. I definitely wasn't expecting the production to be so... light.. I think that's the word I'm looking for. I was thinking it would be gritty and dark like his other albums, but it's not a bad thing. Lyrics, as always, are on point. I can see this one growing on me, plus, I was pretty busy while listening to it.

By the way, that acapella joint and Mega Fresh X are dope, IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 3:01 pm

"I definitely wasn't expecting the production to be so... light.. I think that's the word I'm looking for."

Exactly, maybe that is what I was trying to convey.

KRS One murked everybody on that Mega Fresh X....that shit was dope.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 6:21 pm

Mega Fresh X is dope i still havent heard the album in full though cuz cant find it anywhere

but here is the original version called "Fresh" produced by Emile, im not sure which one i like better this one or the Buckwild remix "Mega Fresh X" thats on the album

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009, 12:10 am

As I said a million times before, I don't think the Mega Fresh X is completely wack, I just think that Mega and KRS are the only ones that sound inspired.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009, 3:47 pm

Alright, I got around to listening to this, while doing nothing else. Sounded a lot better, this time. The production hit me hard this time, probably because I knew what tone to expect. Moved this up to a 4.25-4.5 as of now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm

Yeah Shaun I think you have to understand what Mega was going for this time around. Even though he was doing his thing, it seemed to me he's going for more a timeless sound.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009, 10:43 pm

I can't stop spinning this and Royce... I hope it's not just the new album phase, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 8:54 am

I'm still not feeling this album like some of you are. The beats are so simple and just seem unmotivated. Mega's off beat flow starts to just sound like background music after awhile to me. I still have this album at a 3.5.

Last edited by KRob86 on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 8:58 am

KRob86 wrote:
I'm still not feeling this album like some of you are. The beats are so simple and just seem unmotivated. Mega of beat flow starts to just sound like background music after awhile to me. I still have this album at a 3.5.

I like it more than you do, but i agree about my rating not changing like Shaun and N3R0's. I've tried spinning in again and again, but it hasn't "grown" on me. It's a 4.0-4.25 star album at best for me. That's a solid album IMO, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't disappointed. It reminds of Survival Skills in that regard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 10:23 am

I love every song on this CD - but it pales in comparison to his other 3 solos - it is at the bottom of the rung there - and compared to Royce, Tech N9ne, and K-Rino this is the weaker album significantly - so taking that into account this album is around 4 or 4.25 - which is solid, but dissapointing considering the hype.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 6:17 pm

Cormega - 4
Royce - 4

both solid albums
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 7:28 pm

slang=hater

unless, of course, rza once gave said mc a hi five one time and therefore that said mc put a wu symbol on his album, then yeah, he's all for it.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeFri 13 Nov 2009, 2:46 am

im not a hater i just dont bug out on rating albums like everyone here does... to me my ratings are more like this:

5 = hip hop classic
4.75 - 5 = personal classic
4.5 = fucking great album
4.25 = damn good
4 = pretty damn good
3.75 = good
3.5 = above average
3 = average/alright
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov 2009, 12:16 am

I was just giving you shit Slang.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeMon 16 Nov 2009, 1:27 am

I am saying 4.25 right now but I can understand lower ratings if you are comparing it to his previous discography. This is a nice album but it's no "Realness", "True Meaning", or "Testament" IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 11:06 am

Yeah this album is a 3.5 for me. I mean its sounds like he was trying too hard to capture an era already gone. If this album would have dropped in the late 90's it may would have worked betta but in 2010 hell no. I know he is capable of much more. The lyricism, flow, and subject matter is there he has that down but he needs to work on his hooks and beats and song structure some more imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cormega- Born & Raised   Cormega- Born & Raised Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cormega- Born & Raised
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: