Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Is Nas The best rapper ever?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:05 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Fuck all y'all haters!!

Is it really hating to say that Nas isn't the greatest emcee of all time?

I'd take KRS-One's 6 classics over Nas' 1 or 2 (IMO) any day.

Nas has 4 classics IMO, all of which are as good as any of KRS's albums to me.

I hear ya. I feel all of KRS-One's are better...with the exception of a couple...which I feel Illmatic is better than.

Stillmatic and The Lost Tapes >>>>>> Every KRS album but CM

That said, By All Means Necessary is in my Top 25.

LOL...fuck that!

Whatever man. I just feel that those albums have more replay value. I still love both of them though.

Biggie, Nas, Rakim, and KRS are my Top 4 MC's.

You really get that many spins out of Criminal Minded? I'm basing mine on replay too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:07 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Fuck all y'all haters!!

Is it really hating to say that Nas isn't the greatest emcee of all time?

I'd take KRS-One's 6 classics over Nas' 1 or 2 (IMO) any day.

Nas has 4 classics IMO, all of which are as good as any of KRS's albums to me.

I hear ya. I feel all of KRS-One's are better...with the exception of a couple...which I feel Illmatic is better than.

Stillmatic and The Lost Tapes >>>>>> Every KRS album but CM

That said, By All Means Necessary is in my Top 25.

hmm, Nas has 3 albums in your top 25 including your favorite album of all time, but Biggie is your GOAT? I think you need to switch your rankings. LOL!

Life After Death is in my Top 25 as well.

It's a virtual toss up between the two though. Just like it is between Kris and Face for you. I know Face has multiple albums in your Top 25 as well.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:09 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Fuck all y'all haters!!

Is it really hating to say that Nas isn't the greatest emcee of all time?

I'd take KRS-One's 6 classics over Nas' 1 or 2 (IMO) any day.

Nas has 4 classics IMO, all of which are as good as any of KRS's albums to me.

I hear ya. I feel all of KRS-One's are better...with the exception of a couple...which I feel Illmatic is better than.

Stillmatic and The Lost Tapes >>>>>> Every KRS album but CM

That said, By All Means Necessary is in my Top 25.

whoa, whoa, whoa! BAMN is better IMO

Easily IMO. I also feel "Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop" & "Edutainment" are also easily better than Lost Tapes and Stillmatic.

I don't, but you're not much of a Nas fan outside of Illmatic so I'd expect you to say that.

I guess, but I own copies of:

* Illmatic (1994)
* It Was Written (1996)
* I Am… (1999)
* Stillmatic (2001)
* God's Son (2002)
* Hip Hop Is Dead (2006)
* Untitled (2008)

...and enjoy them. That said I own far more KRS/BDP albums (the whole collection on CD, and every BDP/KRS cassette...minus a few singles...ever produced).
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:10 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Fuck all y'all haters!!

Is it really hating to say that Nas isn't the greatest emcee of all time?

I'd take KRS-One's 6 classics over Nas' 1 or 2 (IMO) any day.

Nas has 4 classics IMO, all of which are as good as any of KRS's albums to me.

I hear ya. I feel all of KRS-One's are better...with the exception of a couple...which I feel Illmatic is better than.

Stillmatic and The Lost Tapes >>>>>> Every KRS album but CM

That said, By All Means Necessary is in my Top 25.

hmm, Nas has 3 albums in your top 25 including your favorite album of all time, but Biggie is your GOAT? I think you need to switch your rankings. LOL!

Life After Death is in my Top 25 as well.

It's a virtual toss up between the two though. Just like it is between Kris and Face for you. I know Face has multiple albums in your Top 25 as well.

Yeah, Face has 2 albums in my top 25. Also, LAD is really 2 albums worth of material so RTD and LAD could cancel out Nas' 3 album i suppose.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:11 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Fuck all y'all haters!!

Is it really hating to say that Nas isn't the greatest emcee of all time?

I'd take KRS-One's 6 classics over Nas' 1 or 2 (IMO) any day.

Nas has 4 classics IMO, all of which are as good as any of KRS's albums to me.

I hear ya. I feel all of KRS-One's are better...with the exception of a couple...which I feel Illmatic is better than.

Stillmatic and The Lost Tapes >>>>>> Every KRS album but CM

That said, By All Means Necessary is in my Top 25.

LOL...fuck that!

Whatever man. I just feel that those albums have more replay value. I still love both of them though.

Biggie, Nas, Rakim, and KRS are my Top 4 MC's.

You really get that many spins out of Criminal Minded? I'm basing mine on replay too.

I EASILY get that many spins out of CM. While Illmatic is my fav album of all time, CM is in my Top 10. As far as 80's rap albums go, only Nation Of Millions and Paid In Full outrank it IMO.

I thought it had the most standouts of any KRS/BDP album, and his chemistry with Scott LaRock was phenomeonal.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:13 pm

I agree KJ, there were tons of standouts on Criminal Minded, and i thought the production added to its charm. That said, i'm not sure CM had more standouts than BAMN.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:14 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Fuck all y'all haters!!

Is it really hating to say that Nas isn't the greatest emcee of all time?

I'd take KRS-One's 6 classics over Nas' 1 or 2 (IMO) any day.

Nas has 4 classics IMO, all of which are as good as any of KRS's albums to me.

I hear ya. I feel all of KRS-One's are better...with the exception of a couple...which I feel Illmatic is better than.

Stillmatic and The Lost Tapes >>>>>> Every KRS album but CM

That said, By All Means Necessary is in my Top 25.

hmm, Nas has 3 albums in your top 25 including your favorite album of all time, but Biggie is your GOAT? I think you need to switch your rankings. LOL!

Life After Death is in my Top 25 as well.

It's a virtual toss up between the two though. Just like it is between Kris and Face for you. I know Face has multiple albums in your Top 25 as well.

Yeah, Face has 2 albums in my top 25. Also, LAD is really 2 albums worth of material so RTD and LAD could cancel out Nas' 3 album i suppose.

Only 2? Wow!! So The Untouchable is your 2nd fav Face album? I think he has 4 better than that easily, but I respect your opinion.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:17 pm

The Untouchable is actually my favorite Face album, but i know that's basphemy to a lot of people.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:22 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I agree KJ, there were tons of standouts on Criminal Minded, and i thought the production added to its charm. That said, i'm not sure CM had more standouts than BAMN.

It's debatable for sure. My Philosophy is arguably his greatest song. But tracks like The Bridge Is Over, South Bronx, Poetry, and Remix To P is Free rank in the upper echelon of KRS joints, and all time great songs altogether for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:23 pm

T. Myers wrote:
The Untouchable is actually my favorite Face album, but i know that's basphemy to a lot of people.

I can respect that. While I don't consider it a classic, it's probably in the 4.5 area for me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:25 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
I agree KJ, there were tons of standouts on Criminal Minded, and i thought the production added to its charm. That said, i'm not sure CM had more standouts than BAMN.

It's debatable for sure. My Philosophy is arguably his greatest song. But tracks like The Bridge Is Over, South Bronx, Poetry, and Remix To P is Free rank in the upper echelon of KRS joints, and all time great songs altogether for that matter.

Oh i agree, i was just saying BAMN had plenty of standouts. You also forgot to mention 9mm Goes Bang and Dope Beat. 9mm Goes Bang is probably my favorite KRS track.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:26 pm

Speaking of Chris Dudley, KJ needs to give me TO and Forte for Ahmad BRadshaw.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 717
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 47
Location : Maputo, Mozambique

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:30 pm

KRS One would murder Nas in a battle.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:33 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
I agree KJ, there were tons of standouts on Criminal Minded, and i thought the production added to its charm. That said, i'm not sure CM had more standouts than BAMN.

It's debatable for sure. My Philosophy is arguably his greatest song. But tracks like The Bridge Is Over, South Bronx, Poetry, and Remix To P is Free rank in the upper echelon of KRS joints, and all time great songs altogether for that matter.

Oh i agree, i was just saying BAMN had plenty of standouts. You also forgot to mention 9mm Goes Bang and Dope Beat. 9mm Goes Bang is probably my favorite KRS track.

I'm not denying BAMN's standouts. I'm Still #1, Stop The Violence, and Jimmy are favs of mine as well.

Yeah I love 9MM Goes Bang and Dope Beat as well. Super Hoe is another banger.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:34 pm

Gangsta Zol wrote:
KRS One would murder Nas in a battle.

I think he'd win, but he wouldn't murder him. It'd be close.

KRS is the greatest battle rapper of all time.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 717
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 47
Location : Maputo, Mozambique

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:40 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:
KRS One would murder Nas in a battle.

I think he'd win, but he wouldn't murder him. It'd be close.

KRS is the greatest battle rapper of all time.



Don't know if it would be close man, Kris can get pretty lethal if he breaks out his freestyle. You know how he does thoes Queenbridge cats.

The only other rapper that could possiby go toe to toe with Kris is Eminem, but that would never happen as Em has too much respect for the pioneers.

Agreed, Kris is the best battle emcee out there.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:50 pm

Gangsta Zol wrote:
The only other rapper that could possiby go toe to toe with Kris is Eminem, but that would never happen as Em has too much respect for the pioneers

Have you heard Eminem battle? He's not very good. That's why he didn't win by 3 places. Check out the Scribble Jam footage (where Dre found him).
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 9:11 pm

T. Myers wrote:
who's hating KJ? Everyone has acknowledged that he's on a short list. Kev's post requires nothing more than a yes or no answer. It's as simple as that. Biggie's your GOAT. Your answer should have been a simple no. Unless Nas changes his name to KRS One, he's a no to me as well. If i thought Nas took everything it took to be a great mc, he'd be #1 on my list. He is not at the top of my list, but he's top 15 to me.

IMO, KRS embodies everything Kev listed in his initial post and them some.

I respect your GOAT Terry and KRS period but he does not embodie everything listed in my list. Where's the street tales? word play?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 9:18 pm

KRob86 wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
who's hating KJ? Everyone has acknowledged that he's on a short list. Kev's post requires nothing more than a yes or no answer. It's as simple as that. Biggie's your GOAT. Your answer should have been a simple no. Unless Nas changes his name to KRS One, he's a no to me as well. If i thought Nas took everything it took to be a great mc, he'd be #1 on my list. He is not at the top of my list, but he's top 15 to me.

IMO, KRS embodies everything Kev listed in his initial post and them some.

I respect your GOAT Terry and KRS period but he does not embodie everything listed in my list. Where's the street tales? word play?

Well, KRS left that street type stuff behind him after Criminal Minded, but it was evident on Criminal Minded even if it is light by todays standards. Word Play? KRS had it too. Now i will admit that Nas is far superior in that category, but it's only natural for them to have different stregths.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 717
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 47
Location : Maputo, Mozambique

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 9:31 pm

KRS isn't about word play. His style is more direct.

I don't think you need to master every emcee style in order to be considered a GOAT emcee.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 9:36 pm

Gangsta Zol wrote:
KRS isn't about word play. His style is more direct.

I don't think you need to master every emcee style in order to be considered a GOAT emcee.

Very true but it can't be ignored either. I know there may not be no true GOAT, that has always been my stand but Nas is the truth.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:02 pm

hmmm after reading all of this stuff I'm changing my GOAT emcee to HURRICANE CHRIS

now that dud I mean dude has all the word play?? lyrics?? flow?? voice?? style?? swag?? skills?? battle techniques?? storytelling ability?? street tales?? you could want in any emcee and more..

HURRICANE CHRIS is now my unofficial GOAT emcee bitches!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:04 pm

Alan wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:
The only other rapper that could possiby go toe to toe with Kris is Eminem, but that would never happen as Em has too much respect for the pioneers

Have you heard Eminem battle? He's not very good. That's why he didn't win by 3 places. Check out the Scribble Jam footage (where Dre found him).

SMH at the Eminem hate.

Em is an excellent battle rapper. Dre obviously saw talent in him which is why he wanted to sign him.

I've heard of many MC's who have lost battles/rap contests and went on to great careers. And some of the people who have won didn't do anything significant in the rap game.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm

Gangsta Zol wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:
KRS One would murder Nas in a battle.

I think he'd win, but he wouldn't murder him. It'd be close.

KRS is the greatest battle rapper of all time.



Don't know if it would be close man, Kris can get pretty lethal if he breaks out his freestyle. You know how he does thoes Queenbridge cats.


Well Nas is a million times better than MC Shan, so you can't even throw that QB shit out there.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:12 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:
The only other rapper that could possiby go toe to toe with Kris is Eminem, but that would never happen as Em has too much respect for the pioneers

Have you heard Eminem battle? He's not very good. That's why he didn't win by 3 places. Check out the Scribble Jam footage (where Dre found him).

SMH at the Eminem hate.

Em is an excellent battle rapper. Dre obviously saw talent in him which is why he wanted to sign him.

I've heard of many MC's who have lost battles/rap contests and went on to great careers. And some of the people who have won didn't do anything significant in the rap game.

Dude, have you heard him battle? If not than you have nothing to say. If you do think he's a great battle rapper, than I'd say you don't know much about battle rappers. Eminem has mainstream qualities that the masses eat up. Dre saw his pay day, not the illest battle emcee at the event. Otherwise he would have taken J.U.I.C.E. or Rhymefest instead.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:
The only other rapper that could possiby go toe to toe with Kris is Eminem, but that would never happen as Em has too much respect for the pioneers

Have you heard Eminem battle? He's not very good. That's why he didn't win by 3 places. Check out the Scribble Jam footage (where Dre found him).

SMH at the Eminem hate.

Em is an excellent battle rapper. Dre obviously saw talent in him which is why he wanted to sign him.

I've heard of many MC's who have lost battles/rap contests and went on to great careers. And some of the people who have won didn't do anything significant in the rap game.

Dude, have you heard him battle? If not than you have nothing to say. If you do think he's a great battle rapper, than I'd say you don't know much about battle rappers. Eminem has mainstream qualities that the masses eat up. Dre saw his pay day, not the illest battle emcee at the event. Otherwise he would have taken J.U.I.C.E. or Rhymefest instead.

Yes I've heard him battle. If I didn't then I wouldn't have made the statement.

I haven't heard much from JUICE, but Em is much better than Rhymefest IMO.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 11:23 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
Gangsta Zol wrote:
The only other rapper that could possiby go toe to toe with Kris is Eminem, but that would never happen as Em has too much respect for the pioneers

Have you heard Eminem battle? He's not very good. That's why he didn't win by 3 places. Check out the Scribble Jam footage (where Dre found him).

SMH at the Eminem hate.

Em is an excellent battle rapper. Dre obviously saw talent in him which is why he wanted to sign him.

I've heard of many MC's who have lost battles/rap contests and went on to great careers. And some of the people who have won didn't do anything significant in the rap game.

Dude, have you heard him battle? If not than you have nothing to say. If you do think he's a great battle rapper, than I'd say you don't know much about battle rappers. Eminem has mainstream qualities that the masses eat up. Dre saw his pay day, not the illest battle emcee at the event. Otherwise he would have taken J.U.I.C.E. or Rhymefest instead.

Yes I've heard him battle. If I didn't then I wouldn't have made the statement.

I haven't heard much from JUICE, but Em is much better than Rhymefest IMO.

Well, in the battle Dre saw him in, from what I've heard/read, was the 1997 Scribble Jam emcee battle. I own 2 DVDs with footage of that battle. Eminem was not spittin' as good as J.U.I.C.E., Rhymefest, or Dose One. Dre saw the mass appeal factor in Eminem. I figure at that point he'd be in his battling prime. No? Did he really battle after he got signed?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 11:34 pm

Dre heard Em's Slim Shady EP and called Paul...Dre never saw him at Scribble Jam, that's an urban legend. Dre even admitted not knowing Em was white until Paul Rosenberg told him.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:17 am

I hadn't heard the scribble jam story - the story I heard was em at athe rap olympics in LA
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:20 am

No, quite easily. He released a bunch of good albums but only one true classic, and he's made far too many missteps. Jay-Z is better, and he has arguably released more garbage. Concert on Wednesday was great by the way. Wale and N.E.R.D killed it too. J.Cole opened up and got shitted on by the audience though. Can't say I felt sorry for him, he's basically a black Drake.

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:20 am

I've heard both versions and even thought the Scribble Jam story was true (may have told people on here it was even, if I did, my bad) until a couple weeks ago when I read somewhere that Dre was just given a tape and really liked "Just Don't Give a Fuck". Paul's number was scribbled on the inside of the case.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:37 am

Kendrick Davis wrote:
No, quite easily. He released a bunch of good albums but only one true classic, and he's made far too many missteps. Jay-Z is better, and he has arguably released more garbage. Concert on Wednesday was great by the way. Wale and N.E.R.D killed it too. J.Cole opened up and got shitted on by the audience though. Can't say I felt sorry for him, he's basically a black Drake.

Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
avatar

Posts : 4016
Join date : 2009-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:25 am

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:07 am

No quite easily. Nas isn't even close to the best rapper ever.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 10:54 am

N3R0 wrote:
No quite easily. Nas isn't even close to the best rapper ever.


I think you say shit for shock value man..lol, I know thats your opinion and I don't have Nas as the overall best either but you said he's not even close and quite easily too, which I find to be an interesting choice of words...who is your GOAT N3RO?? and please explain why for me man..thanks!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:20 pm

D.Powell wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
No quite easily. Nas isn't even close to the best rapper ever.


I think you say shit for shock value man..lol, I know thats your opinion and I don't have Nas as the overall best either but you said he's not even close and quite easily too, which I find to be an interesting choice of words...who is your GOAT N3RO?? and please explain why for me man..thanks!

Co-Sign 100%

And Jeff wonders why people say his taste sucks. Nas is easily one of the best MC's of all time. Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm

As many people say, there isn't a bar none GOAT. But in my personal opinion, as of today, I'd go with Scarface. Face doesn't drop undeniably wack albums, he has 20+ years in the game, and hasn't marred his career with hypocrisy and bullshit that arguably takes away from the music. Nas has dropped plenty of wackness and is one of the biggest hypocrites in the hip hop. He EASILY isn't touching my top 10. But that's not the point.

The point here is that I have no clue who Nas is. His public persona, contradicting themes in his music, and overt hypocrisy regarding art vs making money really confuses me. A great artist (and mc, for that matter) should EASILY be able to connect with you as to who they are. I know who Jay-Z is. Kool G Rap. Big Daddy Kane. Etc etc etc. This is also the problem I have with Ghostface and KRS One. I think I know who they are, but then they do something completely out of left field that makes me question their character. And don't even cite Tupac as an example because Pac made it clear he was conflicted and differentiated between the women he talked about in club songs vs. personal songs. Jay-Z did Nas a favor by dissing him. Had he not, and Stillmatic not come out, no one would be checking for Nas like that. Lyrically, Nas is inconsistent. People always talk about Nas' beats, but even his lyrics (and his flow at some points) sound stilted and uncomfortable. Nas is dope, don't get me wrong, but he's far too flawed to even be considered a GOAT. LL at his most commercial never sounded uncomfortable rocking the mic. EVER. That's a GOAT. Even KRS at his most contradictory rappin over the wackest beats imaginable at his most uninspire still sounds like he's in control. He doesn't rap off-beat. He doesn't sound like he's rapping to a completely different song then the one he's actually performing on.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:26 pm

Nas drops ONE wack album and he's disqualified for you? Whatever.

Nas is a FAR better lyricist than Scarface. I like Face too but he's dropped a couple albums I wasn't feelin either. My Homies 2 and My Balls and My Word were just as bad as Nastradamus IMO.

All of the shit you said above is 100% blasphemy man. You're almost as bad as Steve with your Nas hate. To quote Ed Lover......C'Mon Son, get the fuck outta here with that bullshit!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:36 pm

You can't say N3R0 is wrong and then offer no explanation as to why. Saying your taste is wack and Nas is dope isn't much of a rebuttal. It amazes me that people assume that there is hate involved whenever their favorite artist is criticized. Dropping great albums does not make you immune from criticism.

That being said Nastradamus is incredibly wack to me. I mean it's really bad, but 1 bad album surrounded by a career full of dope albums isn't really a big deal to me. I think we can agree that was an isolated incident. I'm not a huge fan of Street's Disciple either, but it's not wack. The rest of his catalog is at 4 stars or better.

Also, don't bring up My Homies 2 and My Balls and My Word as examples of Scarface dropping wack albums. It's like bashing Pac for releasing Pac's Life. Face had no creative control on My Balls and My Word, and he wasn't really involved on My Homies 2 to my knowledge.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
avatar

Posts : 4876
Join date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:39 pm

I won't expect anyone to side with me on Redman, although he really is my GOAT. I already know he doesn't get over like that around here.

Seriously, though, I think Black Thought deserves some consideration from this group. i'm actually quite surprised i'm the first to mention.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:43 pm

Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, God's Son, and Untitled are not all that great IMO. I buy every album Nas drops, but AS I SAID IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST, truly great artists don't pander, and Nas has done that on practically every album, dope or not. You didn't respond to my criticisms of Nas presenting himself, my criticism of him not putting the effort into his flow or lyrics when he's obviously not in love with the beats (so why rap on them? simple question), so basically you didn't respond to my post. So why ask for my opinion in the first place?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:55 pm

QB's Finest
Braveheart


if we are going to go down that route...

and then you'd have to count Geto Boys and My Homies 1 for Face.... and then you shut you face.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 12:58 pm

I doubt KJ ever shuts his face. Or starts listening to his opponents.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:02 pm

And haven't we done polls to decide who the GOAT is?

OH THAT'S RIGHT NAS WAS #23 AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:05 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, God's Son, and Untitled are not all that great IMO. I buy every album Nas drops, but AS I SAID IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST, truly great artists don't pander, and Nas has done that on practically every album, dope or not. You didn't respond to my criticisms of Nas presenting himself, my criticism of him not putting the effort into his flow or lyrics when he's obviously not in love with the beats (so why rap on them? simple question), so basically you didn't respond to my post. So why ask for my opinion in the first place?

Untitled- 4.75 stars
God's Son- 4.5 stars
Street Disciple- 4 stars

All those albums are good to my ears.

I read your blasphemous post. I thought it was bullshit. What is Nas "pandering" to. He's just giving his fans what they want, which are street tales and deep subject matter which sound dope lyrically.

It's funny that the only people that give Untitled a rating under 4 stars are white. Not trying to sound racist or anything, but I thought that album was specifically aimed to appeal to blacks because of the subject matter of most of it's songs. It's not his best album, but probably his most concious effort and I thought it was excellent. If it does have a weakness, it would be the production. However, the lyrics more than made up for that.

I don't think he's the absolute greatest of all time either, but to say that he's not even objectively close is ridiculous and asinine due to his superb track record. I think that he gets unfairly judged because he hasn't made another album on the level of Illmatic, but to that I say how many MC's have made an album as dope as that? Not Many. Also, you can count on one hand the number of MC's that have been as dope lyrically as he has over the course of his career.


Last edited by KJ Styles on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:08 pm

N3R0 wrote:
And haven't we done polls to decide who the GOAT is?

OH THAT'S RIGHT NAS WAS #23 AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

LOL and??? I didn't see your boyfriend Stak in the Top 100 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA and we all know he's your GOAT.

Most people disagreed with those polls. While Black Thought is among my all time fav MC's, he's not the absolute GOAT.

As for you Clancey, those albums you named weren't Nas albums, they were complimation albums that Nas happened to be on a few tracks so they don't count towards his discography.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

It's this simple KJ. As the man who's nuts you ride daily would say, these are FACTS

I listen to practically everything you talk about.

You listen to NONE of the shit I talk about.

Therefore, I listen to more hip hop than you.

I have never once stated Haystak was my GOAT, but that's all you talk about because it's the only ammo you have because, well, see the previous three points.

Nas panders all the time. He did songs with Chris Brown, Ginuwine, Snoop Dogg, etc etc etc. Do any of those songs fit that mold you were talking about?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:23 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, God's Son, and Untitled are not all that great IMO. I buy every album Nas drops, but AS I SAID IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST, truly great artists don't pander, and Nas has done that on practically every album, dope or not. You didn't respond to my criticisms of Nas presenting himself, my criticism of him not putting the effort into his flow or lyrics when he's obviously not in love with the beats (so why rap on them? simple question), so basically you didn't respond to my post. So why ask for my opinion in the first place?

It's funny that the only people that give Untitled a rating under 4 stars are white. Not trying to sound racist or anything, but I thought that album was specifically aimed to appeal to blacks because of the subject matter of most of it's songs.

It's funny that only black people think it could be a classic. It works both ways, and i have brought that up before. While i do agree that the subject matter can cause it to be perceived by different races, it should also be noted that an album with such divisive subject matter could never be a consensus classic album. That being said, i have the album at 4.5-4.75 stars. My only complaint with the album has always been Fried Chicken. I think it's wack because of Busta. I also think the singles throw off the theme of the album, but that's a small gripe because i really like Hero and Make The World Go Round.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:30 pm

N3R0 wrote:
It's this simple KJ. As the man who's nuts you ride daily would say, these are FACTS

I don't ride anybody's nuts cockboy. Those aren't facts, just your lame opinion.

Quote :
I listen to practically everything you talk about.

Maybe you've "heard" most of the stuff I've talked about, but you're not a frequent listener of it all. I can name mad old school shit that you've probably never heard.

Quote :
You listen to NONE of the shit I talk about.

That's because I don't like wackness. I give everyone a fair and honest listen though.

Quote :
Therefore, I listen to more hip hop than you.

That's bullshit. I've been listening to hip hop probably before you were born. You probably listen to more post-2000 hip
hop than me, but that's as far as it goes.

Quote :
I have never once stated Haystak was my GOAT, but that's all you talk about because it's the only ammo you have because, well, see the previous three points.

If he's not your absolute GOAT he's easily among your all time favs, otherwise you wouldn't talk about him as much as you do. I also remember seeing him on your GOAT list.

Quote :
Nas panders all the time. He did songs with Chris Brown, Ginuwine, Snoop Dogg, etc etc etc. Do any of those songs fit that mold you were talking about?

I don't call that "pandering" I just call that making radio friendly music. Let's face facts. Nowadays you must make a few radio friendly singles in order to sell. Jay-Z does it, Em does it, Biggie and Pac have done it, Even Face has done it,
if you don't make any radio friendly tracks, you're NOT gonna sell nowadays. So Nas can't be criticized for that anymore than anyone else can.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 1:35 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
Nastradamus, Street's Disciple, God's Son, and Untitled are not all that great IMO. I buy every album Nas drops, but AS I SAID IF YOU ACTUALLY READ MY POST, truly great artists don't pander, and Nas has done that on practically every album, dope or not. You didn't respond to my criticisms of Nas presenting himself, my criticism of him not putting the effort into his flow or lyrics when he's obviously not in love with the beats (so why rap on them? simple question), so basically you didn't respond to my post. So why ask for my opinion in the first place?

It's funny that the only people that give Untitled a rating under 4 stars are white. Not trying to sound racist or anything, but I thought that album was specifically aimed to appeal to blacks because of the subject matter of most of it's songs.

It's funny that only black people think it could be a classic. It works both ways, and i have brought that up before. While i do agree that the subject matter can cause it to be perceived by different races, it should also be noted that an album with such divisive subject matter could never be a consensus classic album. That being said, i have the album at 4.5-4.75 stars. My only complaint with the album has always been Fried Chicken. I think it's wack because of Busta. I also think the singles throw off the theme of the album, but that's a small gripe because i really like Hero and Make The World Go Round.

I think Fried Chicken is an excellent song. When I first heard it, it made me crave it (although I usually do anyway, LOL). Blacks love fried chicken, and the metaphors used in the song were dope even Busta's. I had no problem with his verse. I especially liked when he ended it by saying "Who cares if the swine is mixed with the rat, cat, and dog combined Imma eat that shit to death". He was referring to how Muslims view pork.

For the record, I wasn't saying that all white people dislike the album, I was just saying that the people that do dislike the album happen to be white.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Is Nas The best rapper ever?   

Back to top Go down
 
Is Nas The best rapper ever?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Bumblefoot and Scarface to release single
» siapa Utaite,producer,dan lagu vocaloid favorit kaliaan?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Classic Threads and Discussions-
Jump to: