Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Overrated/Underrated Day 8

Go down 
5 posters

overrated or underrated
overrated
Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Vote_lcap0%Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
underrated
Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Vote_lcap55%Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 6 ]
accurate
Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Vote_lcap45%Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Empty
PostSubject: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 7:50 am

Kurupt-The Streetz Iz A Mutha
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 8:08 am

Accurate. I see alot of love for this album which is well deserved. Best album from Kurupt by a good margin. Dope West Coast material.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 9:06 am

I'm going to say underrated because outside this forum I do not know really anyone that show luv to this album. It came out under the radar with little promotion.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 9:39 am

KRob86 wrote:
I'm going to say underrated because outside this forum I do not know really anyone that show luv to this album. It came out under the radar with little promotion.

I co-sign to the fullest. I'm also going to say underrated because this a classic in my eyes. It may not be a universal 5 stars, but i love the album just the same.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 9:40 am

KRob86 wrote:

If I remember right there were plenty of ads in all of the magazines. I think it was just overshadowed by the Chronic 2001 which dropped the same day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 9:46 am

co-sign Terry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 11:01 am

Justice wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

If I remember right there were plenty of ads in all of the magazines. I think it was just overshadowed by the Chronic 2001 which dropped the same day.

Good point I 4got that well there you go. Girls All Pause made a little noise but I think he should have picked a strong follow up single. Was there one?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 11:04 am

Wow, if there were ads in magazines that was one hell of a promation for the album. wow why don't more artists just put an ad in a magazine? Hell, that's all it takes to be promoted well. jesus, that might even cure hip hop sales. just put it in a magazine. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 11:06 am

"Who Ride Wit Us" and I think "Trylogy" were both singles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 11:08 am

T. Myers wrote:
Wow, if there were ads in magazines that was one hell of a promation for the album. wow why don't more artists just put an ad in a magazine? Hell, that's all it takes to be promoted well. jesus, that might even cure hip hop sales. just put it in a magazine. Shaking My Head

LOL I was thinking the same thing but he did make a vaild point with it droping with 2001.
Back to top Go down
Justice
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

T. Myers wrote:

10 years ago that was how hip-hop was marketed.... People used to read magazines to get info before the internet
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 11:15 am

KRob86 wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

LOL I was thinking the same thing but he did make a vaild point with it droping with 2001.

I agree that dropping alongside 2001 wasn't a blessing, but where were the videos? Who Ride Wit Us did not get that kind of love at all. Where were the songs on the radio? If the radio played We Can Freak It(which they did), there was no reason not to play these singles especially Who Ride Wit Us. The album was reviewed in the Source, but that was about it. I don't remember any features on him in the Source at all. Kurupt deserved better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 12:06 pm

I say underrated because an album like this should not be OOP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 2:59 pm

Justice wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

10 years ago that was how hip-hop was marketed.... People used to read magazines to get info before the internet

Yeah that's true. The Source was hip-hop's bible back then. The internet while still big, wasn't quite as advanced as it is today.

As for my opinion of this album I'd say accurate. The general consensus is 4 stars and that's what I give it as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:03 pm

Terry has a point though... to be relegated to only source magazine adds means you had a marketing campaign equivalent to guys like White Dawg....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:16 pm

Bunny Man wrote:
Terry has a point though... to be relegated to only source magazine adds means you had a marketing campaign equivalent to guys like White Dawg....

Right now that'd be the case, but back then if the Source was biggin you up, you were somebody in the rap game. That along with Yo MTV Raps (in it's prime) and Rap City were the top rap promo tools in those days.

The internet wasn't quite as expanded back then as it is now. There weren't as many websites dedicated to hip-hop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:44 pm

Back then KJ, White Dawg had full page ads in The Source. Buying ad space in The Source was in no way bigging you up. It was just a marketing strategy. Sure, The Source might have mentioned Kurupt back then too, but his marketing was lame and equivalent to indie artists.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 3:59 pm

Ditto^^^^^^I have seen some everyone with an ad in the Source.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 4:45 pm

Bunny Man wrote:
Back then KJ, White Dawg had full page ads in The Source. Buying ad space in The Source was in no way bigging you up. It was just a marketing strategy. Sure, The Source might have mentioned Kurupt back then too, but his marketing was lame and equivalent to indie artists.

It wasn't just about ad space, it was Source writers talking about how dope a certain artist was. Not only in reviews, but in articles for several pages, and interviews with said artists. Kurupt was one of those artists.

Kurupt was widely considered an ambassador for West Coast MC's in those days. While he never dropped a classic album IMO, I've always liked his music and respected his status. He didn't get the hype that guys like Pac, Dre, or Snoop got but he was shown love by the vast majority of hip-hop nation. You can't compare White Dawg to Kurupt because he wasn't nearly as critically acclaimed as Mr. Young Gotti was.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 5:28 pm

im not sure whether to vote underrated or accurate.

I feel its underrated in a critical sense, and it gets overlooked a lot when thinking of great albums, BUT

whenever the album is brought up all i hear is universal praise, people clearly say its Kurupt's best album and a classic or at leats near classic, still thinkin about this one
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitimeWed 09 Dec 2009, 5:38 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
im not sure whether to vote underrated or accurate.

I feel its underrated in a critical sense, and it gets overlooked a lot when thinking of great albums, BUT

whenever the album is brought up all i hear is universal praise, people clearly say its Kurupt's best album and a classic or at leats near classic, still thinkin about this one

My thoughts exactly.

My gut is telling me to go with underrated, though. So, I will...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Day 8   Overrated/Underrated Day 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overrated/Underrated Day 8
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Topic of the Day-
Jump to: