Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is the problem today that albums are too long?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 8:46 am

I know it's not the only problem, but I think it would help a lot of these less talented cats out here immensely. I was bumping two albums yesterday. One was short relatively, Jeru's Sun Rises In The East. I noticed that with only 11 tracks everything about the album is more focused and comes off smoothly and you are even left wanting a bit more. The shorter length also helps hide some of Jeru's deficiencies as an emcee (at least IMO).

The other album was longer, Goodie Mob's Soul Food, but with four members each contributing almost equally it also failed to wear thing and is every bit as classic as Jeru's CD.

Nowadays you have one emcee trying to cram 18-20 tracks and skits into an album for who knows why... and it hurts them alot. What happened to the days it was OK to drop say 12-14 solid tracks of music?

Maybe with more focus on just 12 dope tracks we'd get more dope albums overall. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 10:19 am

I agree 100%. I don't need 22 tracks on an album. I like anywhere from 11-14. Anymore than that and the album gets long winded. That's one of my favorite aspects of Scarface. His albums are no more than 12-13 tracks of dope material.

Now take Reks "Grey Hairs" for instance. For me the first half of the album is borderline classic but the second half is kind of hit or miss. If it had been left at 12-14 of the best tracks it would be a modern classic as far as i'm concerned. I don't know why these artist think they need 20 tracks but i wish they would stop it. Give me a focused 12 tracks and i'm good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 10:45 am

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll always find it easier to forgive weak tracks on a 20 song album then a weak spot on a 10 track "LP". I'm always a fan of getting more for my dollar.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 11:02 am

Yeah, that's definitely an issue with a lot of Hip-Hop albums now. I've always thought 40-50 minutes was the optimum album length, whether talking Hip-Hop, jazz, rock, or whatever. The way I listen to music, I listen to albums straight through, so I'd much rather have a 40 minute album that I can play straight through than a 70 minute album with filler, and it's almost impossible to make a 70 minute album without filler.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

I agree SRP, this something I have mentioned numerous before. A lot of albums would have benefited from a trimmer album. It is already hard to put a good album let alone a great one together so don't cram a bunch of songs and hope some hit the jackpot with the listener.

Only time I think long albums work is when there are plenty of diverse guest, grp albums, and/or great flow to it. As in different beat speeds, change up of hook styles, short-mid time limit per trk.
Back to top Go down
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 3:32 pm

It depends on who is making an album. A solo artist with maybe a few guest features should try and keep it to about 14 songs, while if its a group effort they could bump it up to 18 or so. When solo artists take it up to 16+ songs there seems to be more filler in between the good tracks.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm

I prefer short and sweet, to long and meek.

This was the most blatant weakness of No Limit. Trim the fat and not every other track needs to be a posse cut.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Thu 17 Dec 2009, 7:08 pm

There's always exceptions to the rule. But rappers need to cut back on guest appearances. This is what bogged down Elzi's PreFace album. Nobody wants to sit through a long ass album with guest appaerances by a bunch of no-names.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Fri 18 Dec 2009, 1:22 am

"Nobody wants to sit through a long ass album with guest appaerances by a bunch of no-names."

correctamundo!!!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   Fri 18 Dec 2009, 7:41 pm

Esco wrote:
It depends on who is making an album.

Exactly.

If Pete Rock & CL Smooth dropped another album, I'd expect it be near 80 minutes like the other two. Some people can't make shit interesting for 60-80 minutes though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the problem today that albums are too long?   

Back to top Go down

Is the problem today that albums are too long?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1