Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither?
Top 50
16%
 16% [ 3 ]
Top 100
53%
 53% [ 10 ]
Neither
31%
 31% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19
 

AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 7:30 am

Fresh Prince/Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:04 am

Neither son....y'all just don't understand.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:08 am

impact and influence alone will get these two pioneers on the list especially Jazzy Jeff-he is dominating Will on the music scene kinda like how Will is dominating him on the acting scene

Jazzy Jeff's production credits are numerous and have jumped over to r&b as well as still making his mark in hip-hop

together they made some classic moments in hip-hop as well as being the first hip-hop artists to ever win a grammy which was in 1989..

yes they were bubblegum but they were original and pioneers

I've got them in the top 100 of all-time easily
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:14 am

Top 50 - easily!

Easily one of my favorite golden age duos of all time.

My rankings:

Rock the House (5 stars)
He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper (5 stars)
And in This Corner… (4.5 stars)
Homebase (4.5 stars)
Code Red (4 stars)
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:30 am

I feel you what you're saying Al, but we gotta take Big Willie Style, Willenium, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, etc. into account. I know they're not a "duo" at this time but seriously...that's gotta mar your career.

That said, Top 100. Like 99, but still top 100.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:32 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I feel you what you're saying Al, but we gotta take Big Willie Style, Willenium, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, etc. into account. I know they're not a "duo" at this time but seriously...that's gotta mar your career.

That said, Top 100. Like 99, but still top 100.

I agree, but i actually liked Big Willie Style. It was a solid, fun Will Smith record. the other albums were just a corny attempt to duplicate the success of Big Wille Style.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:33 am

I'm gonna say top 100.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:41 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I feel you what you're saying Al, but we gotta take Big Willie Style, Willenium, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, etc. into account. I know they're not a "duo" at this time but seriously...that's gotta mar your career.

That said, Top 100. Like 99, but still top 100.

No you don't. It's all about the duo:

"Fresh Prince/Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff"

It doesn't say a thing about solo career. We didn't dissect Guru's solo career with Gang Starr did we? So why do it now?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:42 am

T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I feel you what you're saying Al, but we gotta take Big Willie Style, Willenium, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, etc. into account. I know they're not a "duo" at this time but seriously...that's gotta mar your career.

That said, Top 100. Like 99, but still top 100.

I agree, but i actually liked Big Willie Style. It was a solid, fun Will Smith record. the other albums were just a corny attempt to duplicate the success of Big Wille Style.

Well, if ya'll are basing your votes off that (which is off base IMO), then you have to take DJ Jazzy Jeff's solo career into account, which is critically acclaimed and smoking throughout.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:44 am

Well, Kev mentioned Will Smith by name too. I'm just not sure if he wanted to take into account his "solo" work.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:45 am

T. Myers wrote:
Well, Kev mentioned Will Smith by name too. I'm just not sure if he wanted to take into account his "solo" work.

But he also included "& DJ Jazzy Jeff".

There was no Jazzy Jeff in Will Smith's solo career.




Damnit Kev! You've flawed the voting already! lol
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:46 am

I did, which kinda blanced it out, but nothing it gonna take away from Smith's utter disrespect of Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West". Even if KMD was on the damn song...because so was Sisqo...so was Sisqo...goddamn I hate Will Smith.


BESIDES WHICH, if we're not talking solo careers, then Wu Tang should barely get honorable mention. They dropped one classic and bunch of dookie after it. Say what you want about 8 Diagrams...The W, Forever, Iron Flag ALL sucked hard.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:46 am

T. Myers wrote:
Well, Kev mentioned Will Smith by name too. I'm just not sure if he wanted to take into account his "solo" work.

So let me ask you think Terry & N3RO:

Would DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince make top 50 in your opinion not counting solo career? If not, then who cares, right?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:48 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I did, which kinda blanced it out, but nothing it gonna take away from Smith's utter disrespect of Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West". Even if KMD was on the damn song...because so was Sisqo...so was Sisqo...goddamn I hate Will Smith.


BESIDES WHICH, if we're not talking solo careers, then Wu Tang should barely get honorable mention. They dropped one classic and bunch of dookie after it. Say what you want about 8 Diagrams...The W, Forever, Iron Flag ALL sucked hard.

Well, Guru dropped some nuggets too, but nobody held that against Gang Starr.

And I disagree completely about Wu.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:50 am

Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:51 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I did, which kinda blanced it out, but nothing it gonna take away from Smith's utter disrespect of Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West". Even if KMD was on the damn song...because so was Sisqo...so was Sisqo...goddamn I hate Will Smith.


BESIDES WHICH, if we're not talking solo careers, then Wu Tang should barely get honorable mention. They dropped one classic and bunch of dookie after it. Say what you want about 8 Diagrams...The W, Forever, Iron Flag ALL sucked hard.

LOL! didn't you learn your Wu lesson already? Wu Tang beat the Juice Crew rather easily, and they destroyed the Dungeon Family. IMO, The Clan has 4 dope albums.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:53 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I would put them up against Run DMC anyday. Without the solos, they are still better than Run DMC.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:54 am

4 dope albums...really. And where can I find these lost gems of dopeness?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:55 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I don't think Kev meant to include Will Smith's solo stuff, so they should have 2 top 50 votes IMO (me and you)...but whatever.

I'm not sure I understand your Wu comment. I just thought 8 Diagrams, The W, Forever & Iron Flag, were all good records. Not classics though.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:55 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Well, Kev mentioned Will Smith by name too. I'm just not sure if he wanted to take into account his "solo" work.

So let me ask you think Terry & N3RO:

Would DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince make top 50 in your opinion not counting solo career? If not, then who cares, right?

They wouldn't make my top 50 either way. I was just agreeing with N3R0's assessment. When we did Pete Rock and CL Smooth, would you have counted American Me as another feather in CL's cap?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:56 am

T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I would put them up against Run DMC anyday. Without the solos, they are still better than Run DMC.

That I don't agree with. Run-DMC would take it IMO. They have FOUR classics.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:56 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
4 dope albums...really. And where can I find these lost gems of dopeness?

You never will because you're a hater. lol!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:58 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I would put them up against Run DMC anyday. Without the solos, they are still better than Run DMC.

That I don't agree with. Run-DMC would take it IMO. They have FOUR classics.

Well, that's obviously my opinion. I agree that Run DMC may have more classics, but so do Eric B and Rakim. I listen to The Wu Tang Clan more than them too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:58 am

T. Myers wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Well, Kev mentioned Will Smith by name too. I'm just not sure if he wanted to take into account his "solo" work.

So let me ask you think Terry & N3RO:

Would DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince make top 50 in your opinion not counting solo career? If not, then who cares, right?

They wouldn't make my top 50 either way. I was just agreeing with N3R0's assessment. When we did Pete Rock and CL Smooth, would you have counted American Me as another feather in CL's cap?

No, I would not. Because it is not "Pete Rock & CL Smooth". They would probably get a top 100 from me because all 3 of their records are classic to me, but no more because of the short career.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:58 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Well, Kev mentioned Will Smith by name too. I'm just not sure if he wanted to take into account his "solo" work.

So let me ask you think Terry & N3RO:

Would DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince make top 50 in your opinion not counting solo career? If not, then who cares, right?

They wouldn't make my top 50 either way. I was just agreeing with N3R0's assessment. When we did Pete Rock and CL Smooth, would you have counted American Me as another feather in CL's cap?

No, I would not. Because it is not "Pete Rock & CL Smooth". They would probably get a top 100 from me because all 3 of their records are classic to me, but no more because of the short career.

fair enough
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 9:59 am

I wouldn't call Iron Flag or The W good by any measurement.


The W: Live Drums? No. "Protect Ya Neck 2"? No. "Gravel Pit"? NO. "MC Conditioner" w/ SNOOP FUCKING DOGG OF ALL PEOPLE???? AWW HELL NO. This album sucked in 5 different flavors.

Iron Flag: dec, but not "good". Not "4". The thing about making different (and admittedly WEIRD) types of music is that if it's not outstanding it just sounds like crap. The same problem I have with Forever I have with Iron Flag. You can't just go for "okay" when you're trying to be the standard bearer. Doesn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:00 am

T. Myers wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I would put them up against Run DMC anyday. Without the solos, they are still better than Run DMC.

That I don't agree with. Run-DMC would take it IMO. They have FOUR classics.

Well, that's obviously my opinion. I agree that Run DMC may have more classics, but so do Eric B and Rakim. I listen to The Wu Tang Clan more than them too.

That's cool. I bump Run-DMC still. Those records still get steady spins to this day from me.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:02 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
The thing about making different (and admittedly WEIRD) types of music is that if it's not outstanding it just sounds like crap. The same problem I have with Forever I have with Iron Flag. You can't just go for "okay" when you're trying to be the standard bearer. Doesn't work for me.

I see what you mean, but I guess I was just looking at the records for what they were. I enjoyed them all, even if I don't bump them on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:02 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I wouldn't call Iron Flag or The W good by any measurement.


The W: Live Drums? No. "Protect Ya Neck 2"? No. "Gravel Pit"? NO. "MC Conditioner" w/ SNOOP FUCKING DOGG OF ALL PEOPLE???? AWW HELL NO. This album sucked in 5 different flavors.

Iron Flag: dec, but not "good". Not "4". The thing about making different (and admittedly WEIRD) types of music is that if it's not outstanding it just sounds like crap. The same problem I have with Forever I have with Iron Flag. You can't just go for "okay" when you're trying to be the standard bearer. Doesn't work for me.

I actually like The W(3.5-4.0 stars), but i won't defend Iron Flag. Forever and 8 Diagrams are both 4.5 star albums to me. So that means they have 3-4 albums that hit 4 stars to me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:04 am

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I would put them up against Run DMC anyday. Without the solos, they are still better than Run DMC.

That I don't agree with. Run-DMC would take it IMO. They have FOUR classics.

Well, that's obviously my opinion. I agree that Run DMC may have more classics, but so do Eric B and Rakim. I listen to The Wu Tang Clan more than them too.

That's cool. I bump Run-DMC still. Those records still get steady spins to this day from me.

My problem with those albums isn't there quality. They are way too similar. Once i spin Raising Hell or Paid In Full, i don't feel the need to spin the others.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:04 am

T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I wouldn't call Iron Flag or The W good by any measurement.


The W: Live Drums? No. "Protect Ya Neck 2"? No. "Gravel Pit"? NO. "MC Conditioner" w/ SNOOP FUCKING DOGG OF ALL PEOPLE???? AWW HELL NO. This album sucked in 5 different flavors.

Iron Flag: dec, but not "good". Not "4". The thing about making different (and admittedly WEIRD) types of music is that if it's not outstanding it just sounds like crap. The same problem I have with Forever I have with Iron Flag. You can't just go for "okay" when you're trying to be the standard bearer. Doesn't work for me.

I actually like The W(3.5-4.0 stars), but i won't defend Iron Flag. Forever and 8 Diagrams are both 4.5 star albums to me. So that means they have 3-4 albums that hit 4 stars to me.

Dang, I'd even give "The W" 4 stars. Easy 4 stars IMO. Iron Flag was solid IMO. lol


What's your favorite DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince record? Better yet, how do you (& N3RO) rank their discog?


Last edited by Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend on Tue 26 May 2009, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:05 am

I don't see how you can even measure a group like Wu Tang (again, just their group discography and not solos) could come close to acts like Outkast and Run DMC...that's ridiculous IMO.

And I'm glad we could at least come to an agree to disagree moment. I can see why people like Forever and 8 Diagrams that much. Iron Flag was mediocre, and The W was just trying too hard IMO. But obviously I get why people like them I just don't see them as THAT group.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:08 am

We should take everything into consideration when picking the slot. I put "Will Smith" because we should take his solo stuff into account also. Same with any other artist, I find it funny and bullish that Will later career did not hurt him from getting in like it hurt Short...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:08 am

T. Myers wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Yeah absolutely. If Will Smith never rapped again after Idependence Day, they'd be Top 50 forever and ever. Not to mention the fact that they were one of the few acts that actually stood up to the grammys (including timid ass TLC).


You really think if Wu Tang never dropped ANY solo albums and Rza never did any beats for anyone else anyone would EVER put them NEAR a group like Run DMC? REALLY? I gotta call bullshit my dude.

I would put them up against Run DMC anyday. Without the solos, they are still better than Run DMC.

That I don't agree with. Run-DMC would take it IMO. They have FOUR classics.

Well, that's obviously my opinion. I agree that Run DMC may have more classics, but so do Eric B and Rakim. I listen to The Wu Tang Clan more than them too.

That's cool. I bump Run-DMC still. Those records still get steady spins to this day from me.

My problem with those albums isn't there quality. They are way too similar. Once i spin Raising Hell or Paid In Full, i don't feel the need to spin the others.

Maybe it's because I spin them more, but Run-DMC's albums do not sound the same IMO. Each of those first 4 have a pretty distinct sound IMO. The debut was hard & raw, the second was very hard rock influenced, the third is their blockbuster where they reached even greater heights, and the 4th competes greatly with other hip-hop records from '88 with another step up IMO. I'd also consider it a classic, but I can see why some would not.

I think they expanded their sound much more than Eric B & Rakim.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:10 am

KRob86 wrote:
We should take everything into consideration when picking the slot. I put "Will Smith" because we should take his solo stuff into account also. Same with any other artist, I find it funny and bullish that Will later career did not hurt him from getting in like it hurt Short...

I wish I would have known this. lol

It may have changed my vote somewhere along the line.

I didn't hear anyone bitching about Guru's "Jazzmatazz, Vol. 3: Streetsoul" fucking up their "perfect" discog. That record sucked.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:12 am

KRob86 wrote:
We should take everything into consideration when picking the slot. I put "Will Smith" because we should take his solo stuff into account also. Same with any other artist, I find it funny and bullish that Will later career did not hurt him from getting in like it hurt Short...

Kev, also....

DJ Jazzy Jeff's solo material MUST be taken into account too.

And DJ Jazzy Jeff's career should CANCEL OUT Will Smith's nuggets he's had over his career.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:13 am

KRob86 wrote:
We should take everything into consideration when picking the slot. I put "Will Smith" because we should take his solo stuff into account also. Same with any other artist, I find it funny and bullish that Will later career did not hurt him from getting in like it hurt Short...

I don't agree with that Kev. This system caused Too Short to not make it. If anything, Too Short was a more popular pick than than Will because more people voted top 50. maybe if more people thought a little less of Short Dog, we would not have this problem. Just saying!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:21 am

I can see Kev's point though, because all of Short records had one primary producer and up until his more recent stuff it was basically "Ant Banks & Too $hort" and when Short breaks away from his Dangerous Crew he starts to suck and people count that against him. In essence, yeah, I see where he's coming from and that's why I voted top 100.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:27 am

T. Myers wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
We should take everything into consideration when picking the slot. I put "Will Smith" because we should take his solo stuff into account also. Same with any other artist, I find it funny and bullish that Will later career did not hurt him from getting in like it hurt Short...

I don't agree with that Kev. This system caused Too Short to not make it. If anything, Too Short was a more popular pick than than Will because more people voted top 50. maybe if more people thought a little less of Short Dog, we would not have this problem. Just saying!

Agreed. A solo career is all Short ever had. So why do the collectives suffer?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 10:28 am

And just for the record, Will Smith's first two records are pretty good IMO. They are more of a guilty pleasure to me, but I feel they are definitely solid.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 1:56 pm

Someone else voted top 50 - nice!

Good to see SRP is the only one who "doesn't understand". Here I thought Powell was the old man of the forum. lol
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:05 pm

neither - fuck will smith
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:11 pm

I'm gonna say Top 100. Will Smith wasn't the greatest lyricist, but he did drop some memorable stuff in the late 80's to early 90's and Jazzy Jeff had some PHENOMEONAL beats. Jeff still has hot beats to this day.

While I don't like Will Smith's rapping as much as Alan does, I do agree with him in that "He's the DJ, I'm The Rapper" is a CLASSIC! Back then, people were bumpin that album as much as they were bumpin Nation Of Millions or Straight Outta Compton. Not to mention that Will Smith transcended hip-hop by becoming a household name and making a great TV series and some great movies. For all those reasons, I give them a Top 100 nod.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:14 pm

T. Myers wrote:

LOL! didn't you learn your Wu lesson already? Wu Tang beat the Juice Crew rather easily, and they destroyed the Dungeon Family. IMO, The Clan has 4 dope albums.

They beat the Juice Crew by 4 votes, I wouldn't call that a blowout.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:17 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

LOL! didn't you learn your Wu lesson already? Wu Tang beat the Juice Crew rather easily, and they destroyed the Dungeon Family. IMO, The Clan has 4 dope albums.

They beat them by 4 votes, I wouldn't call that a blowout.

It was six votes. Wu nearly doubled The Juice Crew. However, I never said it was a blowout. I said it was rather easily.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:35 pm

Wu Tang sucks, as Steve already pointed out.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:36 pm

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Wu Tang sucks, as Steve already pointed out.

indeed
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I'm gonna say Top 100. Will Smith wasn't the greatest lyricist, but he did drop some memorable stuff in the late 80's to early 90's and Jazzy Jeff had some PHENOMEONAL beats. Jeff still has hot beats to this day.

While I don't like Will Smith's rapping as much as Alan does, I do agree with him in that "He's the DJ, I'm The Rapper" is a CLASSIC! Back then, people were bumpin that album as much as they were bumpin Nation Of Millions or Straight Outta Compton. Not to mention that Will Smith transcended hip-hop by becoming a household name and making a great TV series and some great movies. For all those reasons, I give them a Top 100 nod.

I'd say Will (as the Fresh Prince) was a great lyricist and an even greater songwriter. Vastly underrated actually. He told some truly memorable stories and many of them rank as some of my favorite golden age cuts, period.

Above all, Will & Jazzy Jeff had impeccable chemistry that you RARELY see...EVER.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:44 pm

Whoa, Al, I think you're taking this a lil too far. "Told some truly memorable stories"? You're comparing Will Smith to Slick Rick, Biggie, etc? REALLY?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   Tue 26 May 2009, 3:51 pm

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Whoa, Al, I think you're taking this a lil too far. "Told some truly memorable stories"? You're comparing Will Smith to Slick Rick, Biggie, etc? REALLY?

Truly memorable stories indeed. Not sure how that's taking it too far. Just giving props where it's due. How closely have you listen to a DJJJ&TFP record before? Not to closely?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 37   

Back to top Go down
 
100 Greastest Nominee Day 37
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Classic Threads and Discussions-
Jump to: