Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up

Go down 
+11
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Deanie O'Banion
Shaun
Xcel
gametheory91
Esco
Laced With Slang
Half
D.Powell
E. Taylor
T. Myers
15 posters

Which One?
Liquid Swords
Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Vote_lcap50%Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Vote_rcap
 50% [ 11 ]
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Vote_lcap50%Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Vote_rcap
 50% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Empty
PostSubject: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:08 am

We have a tie breaker to decide so I will only post these two albums and post the winner and two more nominees later today when the vote is decided.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:12 am

I still got Liquid Swords
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:15 am

OB4CL over here!
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:23 am

Both top 15 to me but I like the Rae a little better. Raekwon wins.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:31 am

RAEKWON
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:48 am

Liquid
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:34 am

CL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:54 am

Will defer my vote til later
to break a tie hopefully... you fools need to persuade me which way to vote... song by song break down from both sides... let's see it!
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:57 am

Saint Killa wrote:
Will defer my vote til later
to break a tie hopefully... you fools need to persuade me which way to vote... song by song break down from both sides... let's see it!
Slang is probably the only one willing to do all that work.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 12:02 pm

Slang probably has that type of work already saved on a Word document for quick reference. I'm sure the "My Documents" section of his computer looks something like this.

Slang's resume.doc
Monthly Bills.xls
OMG OB4CL is the greatest ever, and i have the 50 page breakdown of every song to prove it.doc
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 12:36 pm

Liquid Swords
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 2:23 pm

"Dealin in my cypher I revolve around sciences", wins...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 2:54 pm

OB4CL. LOL at Terry. I believe Slang already posted a review like that, anyways
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 3:39 pm

Purple Tape wins
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

what is all this nonsense talk with my name in other peoples mouths

anyway, i think speaking from beats and lyric wise the albums are about equal but taking into account everything else...theme, impact, the thematicness of CL, etc....CL should win

i would do a track by track breakdown but i dont have the time for that...i did find this though

Note: i did not write this

Characters

Lex Diamonds- A ambitious man with a generally good heart and strong sense of right and wrong. Through the story he's the most conflicted with the situation that WAITING ON THESE ROYALTIES throws him into and often counters his grimey existance with self reminders that he's human and good. Constantly mentioning why he's doing what he's doing (feeding his seeds). Generally more intohip hop and fashion them crime and his lyrics subtly show this.

Tony Starks-The most complexed character in the story. A raging, impulsive, brutal and rather heartless antihero side kick. His personality is so strongthe album seems to be a movie about him a lot of the times and the situations are so real to him that he often makes the song his and brings out the general objective the best. On thing that makes his character so dynamic is that he's driven by emotion passion and impulse more so then ration, like Lex Diamonds. Throughout the story he's consistantly angry, frustrated, brash, and passionate which is a sign that it's not a clever mistake but a well planned role taking based on his real personality. Starks is complexed because he's a brute driven by his heart.

GOLDIE- His short appearance is remarkable and has a strong impact to the story. He plays to role of a typical ambitious street DWELLEH trying to get fast scrams. His mind is on his money and living fast until his life outpaces him. He gets shot and in a poetic display of the fickleness of whores and humanity, his so called girl stealsmoney from his dead body.

for fucking nails and hair waves. Here's the thing. U-god doesn't die. He's "pleased to take the 8 (or late idk i dont live in NY and am america so i drive) train back on the iron horse"

meaning after the shooting he gave it all up, or dragged his wounded body to safety on a subway and bleed home with his life.

Cappachino- the appearance of Donna where he appears is one of the most brilliant things Rza has done. Cuban linx is based on reality. Wu hadn't got paid from all the work they had done (36, Tical, Dirty Version), and were essentially still street bunnies waiting onmoney . Now that they're famous street bunnies they have god like status in their hoods and this is illustrated by the confident bravado ofthe album in general. Also, Cappadonna, who had been a part of wu since the beginning, went to jail while they were blowing up.

THEN is released during this album, and appear, quite cleverly, RIGHT after the middle.
Character wise Donna didn't really go in, he's just donna, but that's enough. A slang whore with a greater understanding of flyness then humanly possible.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 3:52 pm

Story.

As i said before wu was waiting on money and had to go back to the streets 'one last time' to feed with babies. babies damn it.
The story starts with 2 ex hustlers with generally good hearts but real live concerns and fears of family members dying and and inability to feed their kids. Under the backdrop of this fear, and a very human understanding that what they do and are about to do is wrong by needed, the story begins.

The beginning (Knucklesheadz) is a string of high risk heists that illustrate the characters. The first heist is conducted by Ghost, who tells his cohorts to 'sniff mad shit" and thus numb their concious cause shit's about to get real.

-first time in hip hop that snorting cocaine was used as a casual symbol of status as opposed to showing you were a fiend-

Knuckleheadz is about robbing ppl in the street that are getting ahead of themselves (hence the SLANG Knuckleheadz).

Ghost shows his character best be hollering the orders to rape a particular knuckleheadz wife, and if she screams duct tape her. Then steal his coke. Obviously not everyone gets out of it alive hence the line "drug related paper talking about the kids who didn't make it"

but they still got the money, and SNORTED in celebration.

Knowledge God further shows rae's character as a dream with an ability to see past the pettiness he lives in and that's around him.

While rae is lost in his street narrative he describes Mike Lavonia. A rather strange son of a bitch, but a made man from COKE sales.

The telling part is after describing his ingenuity and and success the story, Rae kills him.

If you listen to the lyrics well enough you realize that Rae is happy that he died and counts it as Tally 0, or tallies 1 for him 0 for whoever else. Rae made off with truck loads and endo with expectation to get rich off of this.

I see criminology as playing out the violent death of Mike Lavonia, but the song is loosely tied to the story and more a display of the culture behind the story as is incarcerated scarfaces.

Nevertheless, criminology again highlights Ghost's HIDEOUSLY gangsta character and goes down as one of the most well recognized and popular songs in hip hop history. for the street that is.

I visualize Ghost, aka DOUGH SNATCHER, firing with a double barrel shot gun and rae with 2 pistols based on how they're flowing.

Incarcerated Scarfaces is again a display of culture and not story line. Rae is fucking impeccable. This, more then any other album in hip hop (though some can argue with e-40's earlier joints) uses slang as an artform. If you really stop and think about it, the song isn't in the english language and webster merriam bunnies would have their hands full.

The song just illustrates the STREETS and how it is, but with an insightful eye that only and insider would have.

here's my favorite moment, and the moment that shows this, as i was listening to it, wasn't all in my head.

Rainy days, and its position in the tracklist.
If you can see from the story above, so far our COCAINE CRONIES are caught in a string of hiests. Knocking off drug dealers that got bigger and bigger, elbowing their way up, and thus gathering a lot of enemies and attention.

Rainy Days begins with a women singing in concern of her man that is no longer there..physically ..and mentally.

Then, with Rza's genius, Ghost comes in and says "Yo..yo..somebodies at my gate man....yo..yo...ama murder somebody..." Just how sincere and insane he sounded. the paranoia, the indifference and desperation in just that little line is fucking oscar worthy.

Then the beat hits. Its raining, YOU CAN SEE GHOST STARING OUTSIDE OF HIS WINDOW paranoid and lost in thought on a rainy day.

the girl keeps singing. her man is going insane.

camera pans to Rae on the same rainy day, Rae is less personal then ghost and his verse reflects this, he's cognitive, thinking of what's going on and what's next, the obivious brains behind the outfit.

uilliotine has no place in the story. It's just a wu display of talent.
this takes nothing away from the song or album what so ever, but its like a good intermission and reminder that shit is WU faggot.

then i think it's can it be
yeah, can it be.

which needs no story explaination because it's all right there in your face. Ghost continues elbowing his way around until he gets in a violent scuffle and shot.

Then, to highlight that the creativity in this album is ONLY a reflection of real life tells a story of when he was really shot.

One of the best stories in hip hop and again follows the recurring theme of fast rises and fast falls.

Like U-god before him, he's on a lavish spree of ballerificness while in the game and gets shot. The story is remarkable for how vivid and tangilable it is.

Rae continues reflections on life his goals and the future.

Shark bitters is a skit that requires a degree of status to pull off and thus shows that in the story and in real life the two had reached a position of enforcement and were bosses of their domain. Its also another reminder that this aint no gimmick shit (reasonable doubt) and that its a reflection of real life.

Ice water.

These guys are on top now, and the album is halfway through. They call got DONNA out the fuckin box and get him on tracks ASAP, and he comes out swinging.

Icewater is basically laying their dick on the table and saying "big fish eat little fish faggot"

the sniffing of coke,
the spending
the jewels that bunnies have never heard of in their lives
the caeser cuts
the good eatin
the lessons and orders in pitching GRAMS.

Icewater is the scene where they're finally big willies and are reaping the rewards as shown with the most FLOSSY then prior lyrics.

thats as far as the person got
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 5:06 pm

GZA - LS
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 5:10 pm

2 boring albums...Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 5:23 pm

I heard Blue Scholars LP's are the perfect antidote to cure insomniacs
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Cory

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 5:26 pm

LS
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up   Album Of The 90's Special tie breaker match-up Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 6:10 pm

Flyte Tyme wrote:
2 boring albums...Shaking My Head