Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Sat 23 Jan 2010, 4:58 am

Besides the early days of hip hop were peeps had no choice but to listen styles from NY there has been no other time were one region was so widely accepted. Pop-boppers all over have embraced southern hip hop
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 27 Jan 2010, 10:05 pm

I have to give it to them. Everybody has created a crunk type song at some point. New York and Cali rappers have done it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 12:14 pm

That's simply not true, when the Chronic dropped, everybody loved it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 12:19 pm

N3R0 wrote:

Co-Sign. The Chronic is a Top 10 album of all time for me, and many of my friends feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 2:29 pm

Not sure how the Chronic figures in here...

But, yeah, no one in the east went trying to make West Coast sounding shit, did they? Not being an ass....I'm genuinely asking...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 2:30 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Not sure how the Chronic figures in here...

But, yeah, no one in the east went trying to make West Coast sounding shit, did they? Not being an ass....I'm genuinely asking...

Unless you count 2Pac (who's originally from the East Coast) then you're correct.

And the Chronic figures in because it (just like Straight Outta Compton) was an album that appealed to the masses nationwide.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Tue 02 Feb 2010, 2:43 pm

One, I think it is hilarious N3ro was mocking KJ and he didn't even catch it.

Two, it took a while, but a few east coast acts did eventually try to mimic the west coast sound a little. Content was a little harder, g-funk was adopted, etc. - but never on the scale everyone was trying to copy certain southern sounds. No if only they would have copied the right sound.

Don't get it... boo outkast, copy dem franchise boyz... really?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 8:15 pm

EPMD was an east coast group with a west coast sound especially on Strictly Business...their use of those funk samples was kinda related to that west coast sound

but west coast artists have bitten east coast sounds too(Souls Of Mischief and The Lik's come to mind first..oh and The Pharcyde), and now every damn body and their mother is biting the south...everything goes in circles I guess!! the midwest sound with Nelly was copied for a little bit too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 8:30 pm

I don't think Souls Of Mischief or Pharcyde sound like East Coasters (even though thier music was universally accepted) but the Liks, King Tee, and Xzibit do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 8:43 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I don't think Souls Of Mischief or Pharcyde sound like East Coasters (even though thier music was universally accepted) but the Liks, King Tee, and Xzibit do.

KJ how in the hell do you not hear the east coast in SOM and Pharcyde but hear it in King Tee and Xzibit. You need to flip that sentence around.

Last edited by KRob86 on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 9:08 pm

lol...agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 9:31 pm

KRob86 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

KJ how in the hell do you not here the east coast in SOM and Pharcyde but hear it in King Tee and Xzibit. You need to flip that sentence around.

hahaha

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 9:49 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

KJ how in the hell do you not here the east coast in SOM and Pharcyde but hear it in King Tee and Xzibit. You need to flip that sentence around.

hahaha

Ehhhh somewhat. When I think of SOM I think of Hiero, when I think of Hiero I think of Del, who definitely doesn't sound East Coast.

I guess Pharcyde could pass for East Coasters, but their 2nd album sounded COMPLETELY West Coast save for maybe Drop.

The Likwid Crew has a boom-bap style to them that sounds East Coast.

Jurassic 5 is another group that could pass for East Coasters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Wed 03 Feb 2010, 11:36 pm

Del definitely DOES sound east coast.

West Coast Acts That Are Much Better Examples:

Dilated Peoples
Freestyle Fellowship
Visionaries
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 1:11 am

Yeah Dilated Peoples is a really good example
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:09 am

KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:

Co-Sign. The Chronic is a Top 10 album of all time for me, and many of my friends feel the same way.

People loved the Chronic. But come on, its not they went out and bought everything west coast.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:16 am

KJ Styles wrote:

Any west coast artist that ain't on no gangster shit is automatically deemed east-coast. But nothing can compare to the domination of the south now. Theyve been running shit for the last 8 years. They determine whats hot and not. The trends not ending soon. I'd say other forces are involved. What ever reign the west coast had was over in 2 years
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:30 am

running what shit for 8 years, who are these imaginary southern acts you speak of? Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Flo Rida and who else??
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:33 am

Running shit, as in, taking over the mainstream; sounding like what everyone wants to sound like to get exposure. All that junk.

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:39 am

I hear what you're saying, but I don't see it.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:46 am

Well, when someone random thinks rap/hip hop, the mainstream ish on the radio is what they think. I guess that constitutes taking over.

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""

Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:50 am

Fair enough, I don't listen to the radio, but I do know they beat a dead horse
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 5:04 am

Yeah, I haven't listened to 'hip hop' radio in about two years. Everytime I go out, people look at me awkwardly for not knowing the new Fergie or Flo Rida song... lol

Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 5:24 am

Lucky, for some reason I still seem to know those songs via tv & movies...sux but fact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 11:33 am

C'mon, B.Shaw. Even the hyphy movement is a response to southern music. And every time you heard a Roland 808 snare roll, that's influenced from the south.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 1:15 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:

People loved the Chronic. But come on, its not they went out and bought everything west coast.

They didn't buy EVERYTHING west coast, but The Chronic and Doggystyle brought hip-hop nation together.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 2:17 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
running what shit for 8 years, who are these imaginary southern acts you speak of? Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Flo Rida and who else??

C'mon act like you gotta clue. I hate southern rap. But when I look at magazine covers, Black movie soundtracks, step into the strip club, turn on the radio--I hear southern rap
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 3:50 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

C'mon act like you gotta clue. I hate southern rap. But when I look at magazine covers, Black movie soundtracks, step into the strip club, turn on the radio--I hear southern rap

That's your fault for paying so much attention. magazine covers & black movie soundtracks, who gives a shit. You know pop music is made for the drones, I guess I just don't pay as much attention as you do. The clubs I go to play a balance of every coast, strip clubs are always gonna play dance tracks, and we live in two different worlds. If you came out to California (not La La land) you would understand that we have our own superstars, we don't give two left nuts how anyone else does it, I know Powell & KJ see me, cause NY is the same way.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 3:58 pm

N3R0 wrote:
C'mon, B.Shaw. Even the hyphy movement is a response to southern music. And every time you heard a Roland 808 snare roll, that's influenced from the south.

That's bullshit, they stole it from The Yay, somebody just put a name on it late, the word hyphy before "the movement" just meant getting all riled up if somebody pissed you off. I'm sorry if you didn't hear it til after crunk came out not my fault.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 4:00 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
Dang! Trotter wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

That's your fault for paying so much attention. magazine covers & black movie soundtracks, who gives a shit. You know pop music is made for the drones, I guess I just don't pay as much attention as you do. The clubs I go to play a balance of every coast, strip clubs are always gonna play dance tracks, and we live in two different worlds. If you came out to California (not La La land) you would understand that we have our own superstars, we don't give two left nuts how anyone else does it, I know Powell & KJ see me, cause NY is the same way.

Yeah you're right Romped. While I can see Trotter's point somewhat because radio is constantly playing the wackest commercial artists (most of which are from the South) the clubs out here play dance tracks from EVERY coast. They tend to play a lot of old school classics too, much to my delight.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   Thu 04 Feb 2010, 8:48 pm

KRob86 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

KJ how in the hell do you not hear the east coast in SOM and Pharcyde but hear it in King Tee and Xzibit. You need to flip that sentence around.

LMAO!! Co-sign.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?   

Back to top Go down

Didn't southern rap bring all the regions together?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1