Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 What would you get?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2009-05-26
Age : 41
Location : Kentucky

PostSubject: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 9:57 am

I've got to get it to 3 purchases, what would you get?

Strong Arm Steady "In Search of Stoney Jackson"
Muggs/Asia "Pain Language"
Company Flow "Fancrusher Plus"
Ace & Edo "Arts & Entertainment"
Blaq Poet "Blaqprint"
Diamond District "In The Ruff"
Black Milk "Tronic"

I've pretty much decided on Muggs/Asia and Blaq Poet. I'm struggling with the 3rd though.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 9:59 am

Since you've already decided on the first 2, I'd go with A&E as the 3rd. I really liked that album.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 10:25 am

SMH. Company Flow, easily.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:02 am

Scratch all that and get Oasis. But that Diamond In The Ruff is no joke from the samples I heard.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:04 am

You guys must be lost, there's an essential hip hop classic up there, and you're recing recent dope albums. SMH.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:08 am

N3R0 wrote:
You guys must be lost, there's an essential hip hop classic up there, and you're recing recent dope albums. SMH.

I'm not sure i would call it an essential hip hop classic considering its appeal is limited, but it's definitely the most important of the albums he listed.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:19 am

Would you say 36 Chambers' appeal is limited? It's nearly as dense and uninviting as Funcrusher Plus.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:20 am

Funcrusher Plus is a dope album, but it's not in the same league as 36 Chambers.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:21 am

You're missing my point, KJ.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:28 am

Company Flow, it's the only classic in that list.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:31 am

N3R0 wrote:
You're missing my point, KJ.

and you obviously missed my point

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2232
Join date : 2009-05-26
Age : 41
Location : Kentucky

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 11:58 am

I'll probably go ahead and go with Company Flow. It's been on my to buy list for almost 2 years and i keep putting it off. Thanks for the opinions.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:15 pm

i agree with Jason and Nero, clearly, Company Flow is the essential album
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:26 pm

T. Myers wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
You're missing my point, KJ.

and you obviously missed my point

No, I responded to your point. And you responded to something I said to some one else.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:34 pm

N3R0 wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
You're missing my point, KJ.

and you obviously missed my point

No, I responded to your point. And you responded to something I said to some one else.

Do i really need to quote your post to let you know you missed my point? If that's what you need, i will do that, but i really thought you would be able to grasp my point without holding your hand. If i said you missed my point. Then believe me. You MISSED my point. Read it again and digest what i said. If you're still having trouble, i will make you some flash cards.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:38 pm

Again, dickish post for no reason.

You said the "appeal is limited", and I asked if it was any more dense than 36 Chambers, meaning that although 36 Chambers is a very "limited" sounding album, a ton of people get a lot out of it because it's a quality album regardless of the fact that a lesser album of similar sound and subject matter wouldn't get nearly as many fans. My point was that if an album is dope, it's dope, and dopeness should appeal to everyone. ALSO, clearly the man has a taste for Company Flow so it's "appeal" is a non-issue. I clearly understood your point, do you understand mine or do I need to e-slap some e-sense into you?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:45 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Again, dickish post for no reason.

You said the "appeal is limited", and I asked if it was any more dense than 36 Chambers, meaning that although 36 Chambers is a very "limited" sounding album, a ton of people get a lot out of it because it's a quality album regardless of the fact that a lesser album of similar sound and subject matter wouldn't get nearly as many fans. My point was that if an album is dope, it's dope, and dopeness should appeal to everyone. ALSO, clearly the man has a taste for Company Flow so it's "appeal" is a non-issue. I clearly understood your point, do you understand mine or do I need to e-slap some e-sense into you?

Again, you're not getting it.

1) Why do you think the appeal is strictly limited to sound(which is extremely vague if you ask me.) There is a reason that it is not as widely praised as 36 Chambers. Whether that reason has any merit is irrelevant. The fact is people avoid this album more than they avoid 36 Chambers because there is some aspect that doesn't appeal to them, or their bias gets in the way. It doesn't make this album any less classic. I just wouldn't refer to it as an essential hip hop classic like you did.

2) My point had nothing to do with E. Taylor's tastes in music so i'm not even sure why you brought that up

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:52 pm

It's a music album, so I assumed the appeal had to do with sound. Maybe that was a broad generalization, but cleary there's something about the sound that people find polarizing.

And if may extrapolate what you're saying, that an album's sense of appeal moves it higher up the ladder in terms of top albums, I would disagree entirely. If that's your point, I missed it because I assumed you wouldn't have made that statement.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:53 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
I've got to get it to 3 purchases, what would you get?

Strong Arm Steady "In Search of Stoney Jackson"
Muggs/Asia "Pain Language"
Company Flow "Fancrusher Plus"
Ace & Edo "Arts & Entertainment"
Blaq Poet "Blaqprint"
Diamond District "In The Ruff"
Black Milk "Tronic"

I've pretty much decided on Muggs/Asia and Blaq Poet. I'm struggling with the 3rd though.

That Diamond District is classic boom bap shit. Cop it...

Co-Flow is good, but it isn't aging very well, IMO. I think it's a 4.5 star album right now, but not classic at all.

Just my take...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 12:59 pm

N3R0 wrote:
It's a music album, so I assumed the appeal had to do with sound. Maybe that was a broad generalization, but cleary there's something about the sound that people find polarizing.

And if may extrapolate what you're saying, that an album's sense of appeal moves it higher up the ladder in terms of top albums, I would disagree entirely. If that's your point, I missed it because I assumed you wouldn't have made that statement.

I'm not saying it moves higher on an all time list. IMO, Essential hip hop classic means it's a hip hop album most fans will enjoy and appreciate, and should be heard and purchased. Like you said, this album is polarizing, and it would not fit in my definition of essential. Just my take.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:02 pm

lmao @ "flash cards"
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:13 pm

T. Myers wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
It's a music album, so I assumed the appeal had to do with sound. Maybe that was a broad generalization, but cleary there's something about the sound that people find polarizing.

And if may extrapolate what you're saying, that an album's sense of appeal moves it higher up the ladder in terms of top albums, I would disagree entirely. If that's your point, I missed it because I assumed you wouldn't have made that statement.

I'm not saying it moves higher on an all time list. IMO, Essential hip hop classic means it's a hip hop album most fans will enjoy and appreciate, and should be heard and purchased. Like you said, this album is polarizing, and it would not fit in my definition of essential. Just my take.

That's cool and all, but in my opinion essential hip hop classic just means something that should be heard, not necessarily loved by all hip hop fans. For instance, Dj Quik might be polarizing to some one like Powell, but that doesn't mean he hasn't produced an essential hip hop classic (or two) or that it's an excuse not for him to have heard it.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:17 pm

N3R0 wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
It's a music album, so I assumed the appeal had to do with sound. Maybe that was a broad generalization, but cleary there's something about the sound that people find polarizing.

And if may extrapolate what you're saying, that an album's sense of appeal moves it higher up the ladder in terms of top albums, I would disagree entirely. If that's your point, I missed it because I assumed you wouldn't have made that statement.

I'm not saying it moves higher on an all time list. IMO, Essential hip hop classic means it's a hip hop album most fans will enjoy and appreciate, and should be heard and purchased. Like you said, this album is polarizing, and it would not fit in my definition of essential. Just my take.

That's cool and all, but in my opinion essential hip hop classic just means something that should be heard, not necessarily loved by all hip hop fans. For instance, Dj Quik might be polarizing to some one like Powell, but that doesn't mean he hasn't produced an essential hip hop classic (or two) or that it's an excuse not for him to have heard it.

Fair enough

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:18 pm

Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:30 pm

I know that N3R0 just won the argument and I agree with him, but I just want to talk about the polarizing comment that was made. I think that some of the best music is the most polarizing. Probably because of the definition of polarizing.

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:33 pm

Kendrick Davis wrote:
I know that N3R0 just won the argument and I agree with him

Uh, agreeing with N3R0 doesn't mean he won an argument. It just means you agree with N3R0.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:34 pm

Kendrick Davis wrote:
I know that N3R0 just won the argument and I agree with him, but I just want to talk about the polarizing comment that was made. I think that some of the best music is the most polarizing. Probably because of the definition of polarizing.

While I agree with you in theory, sadly, that does become the excuse of a million wannabes in the world and I have quite a bit of disdain for artists that pass their music off as "genius" and people that don't like it are "idiots", when the shit is just wack or completely inaccessible. There is something to be said of the lowest common denominator factor, where good music should be able to be enjoyed by most people. My point here was simply that what is a turn off for some people might not be an issue to most, so it's important to keep those things in perspective when discussing milestones for any form of art.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:35 pm

And yeah, I wouldn't say I won an argument, as I never had the intention of changing Terry's mind, I just think he saw my point of view even if he still disagrees with it. I see where he's coming from as well. Civil end to a civil discussion.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:50 pm

I just popped a zit. It's alarming because I rarely get them thanks to Pro-Activ. It helps preserve my sexy...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 1:56 pm

Random.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 2:30 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Kendrick Davis wrote:
I know that N3R0 just won the argument and I agree with him, but I just want to talk about the polarizing comment that was made. I think that some of the best music is the most polarizing. Probably because of the definition of polarizing.

While I agree with you in theory, sadly, that does become the excuse of a million wannabes in the world and I have quite a bit of disdain for artists that pass their music off as "genius" and people that don't like it are "idiots", when the shit is just wack or completely inaccessible. There is something to be said of the lowest common denominator factor, where good music should be able to be enjoyed by most people. My point here was simply that what is a turn off for some people might not be an issue to most, so it's important to keep those things in perspective when discussing milestones for any form of art.

Oh yeah man I agree with you there. I just have some "hate it or love it" music in my library and the ones I love are some of my favorite albums.

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   Thu 11 Feb 2010, 3:36 pm

No one has a a valid point. Y'all just arguing for the sake of arguing. Funcrusher Plus is classic to some - that is as much as anyone can say about it.

I can't really vouch for none dat on the list other than your two picks - Pain Language and Blaq Print... personally I'd probably roll with the Tronic or Diamond District. I did not like Stoney jackson that much and everything I heard from Edo G and Masta Ace has been wack sauce.

I'm sure Funcrusher Plus wouldn't be a bad third choice, but might not be your two girls, one cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What would you get?   

Back to top Go down
 
What would you get?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: