Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greastest Nominee Day 41

Go down 
+6
Jason
Funk Seoul Brother
T. Myers
Justin Linker
D.Powell
E. Taylor
10 posters

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither?
Top 50
100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Vote_lcap11%100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Top 100
100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Vote_lcap32%100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
Neither
100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Vote_lcap57%100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Empty
PostSubject: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 8:18 am

Three 6 Mafia
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 9:00 am

Sorry but i had to vote neither. I never have really liked these guys all that much. I mean, they've had some nice singles here and there, but there albums were always lacking to me. I respect their place as Memphis legends in the rap game but for me they're not top 100.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 9:36 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is why I don't put personal bias into the equation. 3-6 are personally top 20 to me, but definitely top 50 IMO. Consistent discog, academy award winners, top 10 producers...what's they're to hate?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:13 am

I've got these guys in the top 200 of all-time

they are a classic southern hip-hop group who finally got some overdue props for their work in Hustle And Flow a few years back

over the years they've released some pretty bangin club joints (Who Run It,Tear Da Club Up, Stay High, etc to name a few) and I loved their album Most Known Unknown

they are also the starters of a bunch of slang terms in particular sippin on that sizz-urp

but I can easily name about 50 groups/duos that I like better than them and a bunch of emcees as well which is why they fit in my top 200 of all-time which is still not too bad when you consider all the heads that have touched hip-hop music
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:18 am

I had to vote neither on them. I like a few of their songs but they aren't very good lyrically. I considered voting them Top 100 because of their Oscar win, but I can easily come up with 100 acts more worthy of a spot than them.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:28 am

Three 6 as a group is in my top 15.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:33 am

KJ, I understand you're not a fan of their CONTENT, but I don't see how anybody can objectively say they aren't very good lyrically. Have you heard Mystic Stylez, Volume 2, TearDaClubUpThugz, or Headbussaz?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:00 pm

KJ you gotta let this "lyrical" thing go for certain rappers. Some rappers are great/good at other aspects of emceeing. Lyrics are a very imopratnat part of hip hop I know but so is other things.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:01 pm

Well, i don't want to start any drama or anything, but Three 6 Mafia has always been a vehicle for DJ Paul and Juicy J's production. I'm not saying the lyrics are garbage, but the production is what holds this camp down. If acts like Gangstarr and Pete Rock & CL Smooth can make the list than so can Three 6 Mafia. Now, i'm not saying they are on Par with those groups because they are not, but i think their formula is similar. They are top 100 for me because i can't think of 100 artists/groups who i enjoy listening to more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:06 pm

Also they are the originators imo of buck music mainstream wise whick later turned into crunk music. They are a main reason for that dark rapid bounce sound that is big in Memphis and ATL and other parts of the south and midwest. They have a solid catalog with few mis-steps and they had some members with a differnt sound and style. Very original grp to me. They are not top 50 but top 100 seems fair.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:09 pm

nah, like powell said there are plenty of groups better than them, they fell off/sold out hard in recent years, plus they used to make devil music. their only good to great album that could be considered classic IMO is when the smoke clears.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:34 pm

their "devil music" >>>>>>>>>.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:40 pm

They are top 50 for me but I voted top 100 since I new they might have a better chance making it that way.

They are no different like Terry said to Gangstarr and Pete Rock and Wackman.

The production is the strong point, but lyrically their early work is underrated.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 2:39 pm

ummm 3-6 Mafia although very respected by me are waaaaaay different from Pete Rock And CL Smooth and Gangstarr

I've listened to about 6 of their albums and although I like most of them I have not heard any beats that sound as good as a Preemo or Pete Rock beat guys let's not over do the beats for 3-6...LMAO!

they are not on that level and not many groups are...it's okay fellas...no big deal
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 3:04 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I had to vote neither on them. I like a few of their songs but they aren't very good lyrically. I considered voting them Top 100 because of their Oscar win, but I can easily come up with 100 acts more worthy of a spot than them.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 4:31 pm

Ohhhh now where's everybody and their bullshit bias convos? Exactly. I'm pretty sure Cyne has a better fucking chance of making it in then true pioneers like 3-6. Pete Rock is dope, but did NOT contribute near as much to the art form as guys like Bone Thugs and 3-6. They were original and obviously so. I'm not taking anything away from Pete Rock, I'm just saying that how you guys are voting is bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 4:38 pm

A list voted on here is obviously gonna have a certain slant, just like a list on a forum like My Block on Word of South would have a particular slant, and a list made on a G-Unit fan site would have another, and so on.

btw, I voted top 100, I don't listen to them, but they're a very important group for the South.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 4:40 pm

N3R0 from 0nSlaught3r wrote:
Ohhhh now where's everybody and their bullshit bias convos? Exactly. I'm pretty sure Cyne has a better fucking chance of making it in then true pioneers like 3-6. Pete Rock is dope, but did NOT contribute near as much to the art form as guys like Bone Thugs and 3-6. They were original and obviously so. I'm not taking anything away from Pete Rock, I'm just saying that how you guys are voting is bullshit.

Pete Rock is arguably the greatest producer of all time IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 4:42 pm

Stakutory Rape Parties wrote:

You're calling CL Smooth Wackman? You seriously need to get off the drugs SRP!

CL Smooth is a great lyricist, better than ANYBODY in 3-6.

3-6 are average to below average lyricists, Guru is better than them lyrically.

And to Kev, lyricism IS NOT the only thing I look at when I vote unlike some people. However, it is taken under consideration. The fact that they were able to win an Oscar almost made me wanna vote for them, but I truly thought about it and I could easily think of many groups that I would put in over them. To me, they're on the level of Master P, which is another cat I'd vote against.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 4:51 pm

That post was nonsensicle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 4:55 pm

Kool John never heard a full Three Six Mafia album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 5:42 pm

SRP of ZodiAK-47 wrote:
Kool John never heard a full Three Six Mafia album.

Shut the fuck up SRP! Why is it when I vote neither on someone you always accuse me of the shit! I have heard two Three Six albums, When The Smoke Clears AND Most Known Unknown. The latter of which I own. I like the beats but the lyrics could have been better on both of them. Project Pat seemed to be the best lyricist and he's not even an official member of Three Six Mafia.

Have you ever heard a full Pete Rock & CL album SRP? or Lord Finesse? or Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff?

I've heard full albums by EVERYONE so far that's been nominated, so stop accusing me of that garbage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 5:52 pm

you haven't heard the best 3-6 albums...i heard and own albums by all those people johnny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 8:05 pm

Okay, you own the worst two 3-6 albums IMO AND you think that Project Pat is the best lyricist. That in itself tells me you have not heard enough to make an informed opinion. If I'd only heard the last 3 LL Cool J albums and was voting him "neither" what would you say to me, KJ?

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 8:16 pm

D.Powell wrote:
ummm 3-6 Mafia although very respected by me are waaaaaay different from Pete Rock And CL Smooth and Gangstarr

I've listened to about 6 of their albums and although I like most of them I have not heard any beats that sound as good as a Preemo or Pete Rock beat guys let's not over do the beats for 3-6...LMAO!

they are not on that level and not many groups are...it's okay fellas...no big deal

Powell, i said they are not on par with those two objectively. However, i probably listen to them more than Pete Rock and CL Smooth. It's nothing against Pete Rock, but i find CL Smooth boring. My point was that their success was mostly driven by the production just like the other two.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 8:18 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

And to Kev, lyricism IS NOT the only thing I look at when I vote unlike some people. However, it is taken under consideration. The fact that they were able to win an Oscar almost made me wanna vote for them, but I truly thought about it and I could easily think of many groups that I would put in over them. To me, they're on the level of Master P, which is another cat I'd vote against.

KJ, you may be one of the few people to think CL Smooth is a great lyricist. I'd say that most people would say he is above average. Your post was kinda odd though. You start off by comparing lyricists, and then say that lyrics are not the only thing that's important. It's all good though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:21 pm

Three 6 Mafia not making the list is some bullish...i'm not the biggest fan of them but trust me they are southern legends and there early albums are held near dear to most in the south and mid west I bet. I should have included Pat because I know that would have put them over the top because he has skills.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 10:39 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

I could have sworn you said that people focus too much on lyricism when we were talking about Salt N Pepa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:33 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

I could have sworn you said that people focus too much on lyricism when we were talking about Salt N Pepa

The people that voted against SNP did so because they were women, you and I both know that. They should have gotten in, but what the fuck ever.

And if you wanna compare SNP to 3-6, SNP blows them away in every catagory. Talent, importance, hit songs, classics, album sales, and noteriety.

It's lame that when I vote against somebody people give me shit, but when somebody else does it's cool.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

The people that voted against SNP did so because they were women, you and I both know that. They should have gotten in, but what the fuck ever.

And if you wanna compare SNP to 3-6, SNP blows them away in every catagory. Talent, importance, hit songs, classics, album sales, and noteriety.

It's lame that when I vote against somebody people give me shit, but when somebody else does it's cool.

SNP couldn't hold a candle to Three 6 Mafia's talent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:43 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

KJ, you may be one of the few people to think CL Smooth is a great lyricist. I'd say that most people would say he is above average. Your post was kinda odd though. You start off by comparing lyricists, and then say that lyrics are not the only thing that's important. It's all good though.

Is anybody in 3-6 as good as CL? I don't think so. Also, I think Mecca & The Soul Brother is better than any album 3-6 ever released.

Other than the Oscar win, I can't think of anything that 3-6 has going for them that some other groups who have yet to be nominated don't have. Groups like Brand Nubian, Cypress Hill, Goodie Mob, Whodini, and Das EFX among others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:44 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

SNP couldn't hold a candle to Three 6 Mafia's talent.

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I disagree.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:45 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Is anybody in 3-6 as good as CL? I don't think so. Also, I think Mecca & The Soul Brother is better than any album 3-6 ever released.

Other than the Oscar win, I can't think of anything that 3-6 has going for them that some other groups who have yet to be nominated don't have. Groups like Brand Nubian, Cypress Hill, Goodie Mob, Whodini, and Das EFX among others.

None of that makes CL a great lyricist,, but good try dodging the obvious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:00 am

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

It's nothing personal KJ. You are one of the few real men here who will defend their opinion and discuss. All the other pussies just stick with their bias nonsensical votes so no use in talking to them.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:02 am

SRP of ZodiAK-47 wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

It's nothing personal KJ. You are one of the few real men here who will defend their opinion and discuss. All the other pussies just stick with their bias nonsensical votes so no use in talking to them.

Exactly! KJ I got a ton of respect for your opinions. I just don't always agree with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:26 am

Thanks SRP and Terry, I appreciate it. The feeling is mutual.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:29 am

I think KJ is a homo. Big Grin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:33 am

Steve wrote:
I think KJ is a homo. Big Grin

So now I'm a homo because I disagreed with your opinion on the Beasties? Eat a dick Steve!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:35 am

Easy tiger, it's a joke. Don't go old kool john and ready to flip in a second, roll with the punches doggy. and we're talking some nba if you wanna log in to chat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:38 am

LOL aight, I'm bout to log on.
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 5:36 am

Somebody rank their albums so I know what to check out by them...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 9:26 am

Going with Neither as well.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009, 12:17 pm

lol @ Pat having skills

Anyway, top 100 for me...

Outside of maybe 3 albums, I own everything the HCP has dropped (how is Last 2 Walk anyway? I'm leery of that one...) and I find a good 90% of those releases enjoyable. Are they redundant, predictable, and lyrically simplistic? Yes, they are. But they are one of the more enjoyable groups in my library.

And lyrics aren't the sole focus, but they shouldn't be ignored either. If you're a joke lyrically, why in the world should that be ignored? If lyrics aren't part of your equation, I'd openly question your knowledge of the genre or the quality of your material in your library. You may focus on certain aspects of the lyrics or look for different ways to connect with lyrics, but they usually find their way into the equation one way or another. Personally, I consider the entire package.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 3:19 pm

Lol @ Moka Only having skills....

See how that works?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greastest Nominee Day 41   100 Greastest Nominee Day 41 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greastest Nominee Day 41
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Topic of the Day-
Jump to: