Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....

Go down 
+3
E. Taylor
D.Powell
Alan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Empty
PostSubject: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 8:47 pm

Big thanks to GK3, Norf and all others who helped kick start my new found love for funk, R&B & Soul. Nothing like discovering artists you love for the first time. (New) hip-hop has sadly taken the back seat to all these CDs lately...and may be for a while longer...purchases since 2/2/2010:

Bootsy's Rubber Band - 1977 - Ahh...The Name Is Bootsy, Baby! (4.25 stars....excellent music....not feeling his vocals quite as much)

Curtis Mayfield - 1970 - Curtis (5 stars...classic...nearly as good as Superfly IMO)

Curtis Mayfield - 1971 - Roots (4.5 stars....just a step below his debut and Superfly IMO)

Earth, Wind & Fire - 1975 - That's the Way of the World (5 stars...classic...I see why this is KJ's favorite R&B group...I got 2 more albums on the way)

Funkadelic - 1970 - Funkadelic (5 stars...classic debut...on some Psychedelia shit)

Funkadelic - 1970 - Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will (4.5 stars...just a step below the debut IMO...but arguably just as good...classic as well)

Funkadelic - 1971 - Maggot Brain (My new favorite...actually I like this and the above 2 more than "One Nation Under..." now)

Kool & the Gang - 1973 - Wild and Peaceful (4 stars...perhaps their most successful, but not their best IMO)

Kool & The Gang - 1975 - Spirit Of The Boogie (5 stars...classic, and the best I've heard from them)

Ohio Players - 1971 - Pain (4.5 stars...my favorite. Like their older progressive/genre blending style more)

Ohio Players - 1972 - Pleasure (4 stars...just a step below Pain IMO)

Ohio Players - 1974 - Fire (4 stars...More polished, which I like at times, but overall I like their old style more)

Ohio Players - 1975 - Honey (4 stars...ditto)

Parliament - 1974 - Up for the Down Stroke (4 stars...still need to listen to this one more....one of the more recent arrivals)

Parliament - 1975 - Mothership Connection (5 stars...classic P-Funk)

Parliament - 1977 - Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome (5 stars...classic, and also my current favorite...all these are better than Chocolate City IMO)

Prince - 1982 - 1999 (5 stars...just as good as "Purple Rain" IMO)

S.O.S. Band, The - 1980 - S.O.S (4.75 stars...pretty much classic. The themes are similar throughout, but musically it's phenomenal IMO)

Slave - 1977 - Slave (5 stars...basically my favorite funk album since I've started listening. I've bumped it like 30 times...lol)

Slave - 1977 - The Hardness Of The World (4.5 stars...nearly as great as their debut, but not nearly as sweaty...no homo)

Slave - 1978 - The Concept (3.75 stars....disappointing songwriting and hooks IMO...doesn't hold up to the first 2)

Time, The - 1984 - The Time (4.25 stars...Nice album, need to hear more)

That's it for new purchases...

...so based on that, anyone got more reccommendations, perhaps by some similar (different) artists? The only other thing I can say is that I like the funk sounding stuff over the disco sounding stuff (though I won't discount the latter). I also like the R&B/Soul/Psychedelic soul just as much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 9:35 pm

Yeah Pounds, "That's The Way Of The World" is definitely a classic and the best effort from Earth, Wind, and Fire. "Gratitude" and "Spirit" by them are also classics IMO. I saw them in concert about 8 years ago, and they rocked the house!!!

Two more albums you should out are "Innervisions" and "Songs Of The Key Of Life" both by Stevie Wonder. The latter is the best double album of all time in ANY genre IMO. Stevie is my 2nd favorite singer of all time behind Michael Jackson.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 9:57 pm

Yeah Pounds Prince-1999 is a classic effort man...also those Slave/Steve Arrington efforts are just SICK....classic r&b/funk

other stuff to look for from the 80's is stuff like Alexander O'Neal..get all of his stuff cause it's DOPE..lol

Loose Ends- a VERY funky british outfit...DOPE (look for Zagora and A Little Spice)

S.O.S. Band- you can start with their greatest hits or their 1986 album Sands Of Time- they have that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis production...extremely DOPE!

I've got a few more for you to check out too but start with some of those man
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:00 pm

Stevie Wonder is my ish!!!!!! Love that man's music.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm

S.O.S. Band>>>>>>>

Anything by Flyte Tyme is golden. :bom:
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:04 pm

Oh btw, forget about trying to cop 'Sands of Time', that shit is expensive as fuck. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:10 pm

I co-sign Alexander O'Neal as well, dude is mad dope.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:35 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Yeah Pounds, "That's The Way Of The World" is definitely a classic and the best effort from Earth, Wind, and Fire. "Gratitude" and "Spirit" by them are also classics IMO. I saw them in concert about 8 years ago, and they rocked the house!!!

Two more albums you should out are "Innervisions" and "Songs Of The Key Of Life" both by Stevie Wonder. The latter is the best double album of all time in ANY genre IMO. Stevie is my 2nd favorite singer of all time behind Michael Jackson.

I guess I should have mention I have "Innervisions", "Talking Book" and his "Greatest Hits".

As for Earth Wind & Fire, I picked up "Gratitude" and "Spirit" a couple days ago...as well as their debut, now that I remember. I've been playing "That's The Way Of The World" a ton.

EDIT: I should also point out that I own records by James Brown, Marvin Gaye, and Sly & the Family Stone....in case it comes up.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:44 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Yeah Pounds Prince-1999 is a classic effort man...also those Slave/Steve Arrington efforts are just SICK....classic r&b/funk

other stuff to look for from the 80's is stuff like Alexander O'Neal..get all of his stuff cause it's DOPE..lol

Loose Ends- a VERY funky british outfit...DOPE (look for Zagora and A Little Spice)

S.O.S. Band- you can start with their greatest hits or their 1986 album Sands Of Time- they have that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis production...extremely DOPE!

I've got a few more for you to check out too but start with some of those man

Sick indeed on those Slave records. Especially that debut...definitely a classic if I ever heard one. I'll check out the Alexander O'Neal. I just got the one record by The Time. The Loose Ends sounds interesting too. As for S.O.S., their debut is pretty much a classic IMO, and I actually bought "On The Rise" based on some reviews I read, I'll see where I go with it after that.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 10:45 pm

Flyte Tyme wrote:
S.O.S. Band>>>>>>>

What's your favorite by them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeThu 11 Mar 2010, 11:58 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

I guess I should have mention I have "Innervisions", "Talking Book" and his "Greatest Hits".

As for Earth Wind & Fire, I picked up "Gratitude" and "Spirit" a couple days ago...as well as their debut, now that I remember. I've been playing "That's The Way Of The World" a ton.

EDIT: I should also point out that I own records by James Brown, Marvin Gaye, and Sly & the Family Stone....in case it comes up.

I own records by those guys too. Marvin's "What's Going On" is a classic but I'm sure that you already know that.

Check out Songs From The Key Of Life as well, it's Stevie's best album IMO even though I love Innervisions and Talking Book as well.

Also check out The Temptations and The Gap Band.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 1:56 am

Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23 is my jam, you need to get Shorty The Pimp by Don Julian & The Larks, George Duke - Dukey Stick not sure what album that's on. It doesn't look like you copped any Johnny Guitar Watson or Rick James, both essentials to a good funk collection.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 4:03 am

Alan wrote:
Flyte Tyme wrote:
S.O.S. Band>>>>>>>

I only own 'One of Many Nights', 'Diamonds in the Raw' and 'The Best of the S.O.S. Band' because their other albums are too expensive and oop. Their best album, which I don't own because it's way too expensive, but I do have burnt copy from way back in the days, is 'Sands of Time'. I suggest you peep 'The Best of the S.O.S. Band', cheap and full of dopeness. 'One of Many Nights' has a Kurupt appearance, one if not not first appearance, which I still find very odd til this day...lol

You should also peep some Cherrelle albums, she's really dope.

And to make it easier Al, just peep anything that Jam & Lewis touches, straight golden man...lol
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 7:23 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

I own records by those guys too. Marvin's "What's Going On" is a classic but I'm sure that you already know that.

Check out Songs From The Key Of Life as well, it's Stevie's best album IMO even though I love Innervisions and Talking Book as well.

Also check out The Temptations and The Gap Band.

I think I will scoop up a few Stevie Wonder CDs. The albums I have are analog. "What's Going On" is a classic and one of my all time favorite records of any genre. I would like to check a 2nd album by him though. Thanks for the tips...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 7:38 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23 is my jam, you need to get Shorty The Pimp by Don Julian & The Larks, George Duke - Dukey Stick not sure what album that's on. It doesn't look like you copped any Johnny Guitar Watson or Rick James, both essentials to a good funk collection.

Nice call on that Brother Johnson. That shit sounds tight as hell. I just bought a sealed copy of "Right On Time" (with Strawberry Letter 23 on it) for $2.50...can't really beat that price. I don't really do singles, but the album is praised in every review. Johnny Guitar Watson has a lot of good albums from what I read. Any recs? I can't remember if you told me something specific before...lol. Shorty The Pimp is pretty expensive, so I may listen before I buy. I got Rick James' greatest hits on cassette. Can't say I feel a lot of the more recent songs on it as much as the older stuff, so I went ahead and ordered his debut. I'll see how that treats me. Good call though...forgot all about Rick James.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 7:42 pm

Flyte Tyme wrote:
Alan wrote:
Flyte Tyme wrote:
S.O.S. Band>>>>>>>

I only own 'One of Many Nights', 'Diamonds in the Raw' and 'The Best of the S.O.S. Band' because their other albums are too expensive and oop. Their best album, which I don't own because it's way too expensive, but I do have burnt copy from way back in the days, is 'Sands of Time'. I suggest you peep 'The Best of the S.O.S. Band', cheap and full of dopeness. 'One of Many Nights' has a Kurupt appearance, one if not not first appearance, which I still find very odd til this day...lol

You should also peep some Cherrelle albums, she's really dope.

And to make it easier Al, just peep anything that Jam & Lewis touches, straight golden man...lol

I don't normally care for Best Of's that much. I found their debut for $8 at my local record store (some how...I see it's expensive as hell online). And I also ordered "On The Rise". So if I dig that one a bunch I'll probably check out some more of their stuff digitally and decide how much I feel it's worth. I love the debut, but honestly, not many critics overly praise much of their material outside of their debut.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar 2010, 7:52 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

Kool John,

Well, EW&F has become my favorite R&B/Funk group ever (or maybe I should say - at this point), and emerging on all-time GOAT regardless of genre. I simply can't get enough. Easily one of the greatest music groups of all time IMO. Classic after classic...

"That's The Way Of The World" - perfect from front to back as we spoke about before...made me buy these following 3...

"Gratitude" - HOLY SHIT! How many groups have dropped classic live albums? It's a rarity. This will perhaps become one of my all-time favorite live albums. It's simply perfect from front to back. The live versions shine just as bright, if not more at times, as the studio recordings. 5 stars and then some. Can't stop spinning it...still on constant rotation.

"Spirit" - WOW...again! This one has a slightly different feel. I may like the singles more though. And considering I've played it like 8 times in the past 3 days and have yet to find a fault with it....it gets 5 stars as well.

"Earth, Wind & Fire" (their 1971 debut) - I just got this one so I'll hold off on the rating, but again, blown away. It's definitely different because it's 6 years older than TTWOTW, but still beautifully crafted. I can see it also reaching 5 stars with a few more spins.

So, since you're a huge fan, where do I go next? They got like 20 albums and I want more! lol

Damn I feel dumb for ignoring these guys forever. lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more....   Al's R&B/Soul/Funk obsession....I need more.... Icon_minitimeFri 19 Mar 2010, 4:46 pm

Yeah you should feel DUMB for sleeping on one of the GOAT groups of all-time man...lol..but hey better late than never right??

Hey Pounds here goes some Loose Ends for you to peep..GET THEIR STUFF MAN...completely bangin material: