Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Empty
PostSubject: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 5:35 pm

Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) 61XvruWK5ZL._SL500_AA280_

If you're not a Canibus fan this ain't your album. Canibus is not tryna win any new fans except for those who never heard of him. For those who aren't Bis' fans but love the hardcore and is open to his music should have no problem being horoughly entertained. Canibus takes a harsher dose of criticism than most MCs from rap heads that expect him to jump through musical hoops gracefully.

I was disturbed by Nero's review when he wasn't a fan and downloaded the album illegally. I'm not gonna find a HayStak download then immediately bash an album I didn't pay for from a rapper I could care less about.

Melantonin starts off with the ferocious hunger of a lion tracking down a gazelle in the wild. The first 4 songs, which he does solo, he tries hard to erupt your eardrums. Canibus swayed away from punch-line laden rhyme schemes and takes a more macrocosmic route. He's more of a conspiracy nut this time. His alliance now with Profesor Griff has enticed his appetite for destruction of social conformism. It seems like Bis stepped into the booth with his tin foil hat.

The beats were created by Sick Nature (misspelled?) who is comparable to Stoupe when creating catastrophic soundscapes that motivate rippers to get up and go to work. And Bis' does rip it. Bis mentioned it before that his best direction is to rip a mic to shreads, which he does profoundly. Do you wanna hear him harmonize, story tell, or make love jones? No. Nobody wants Canibus to be like-a Mos Def or Gift Of Gab. He's a one trick pony but it's a helluva trick.

Some may say his number of guest rappers is dead weight holding this LP down. I do have my gripes in this realm but it's nothing that deviates my appreciation for this work. Some guest spots did contain some hot bars be the likes of DZK, Son One, and CopyWrite. A FemmC by the name of The Goddess Psalms dropped an amazing display of skill on the song Ripperland, arguebly the most creative song on the track were Bis switches up his vioce and rhyme scheme. But the main gripe people have with the guest vocals is they're not even comparible to Canibus's tenacity. And like Kool Keith, Bis' has found questionable "rappers" to drop vocals on his shit.

Overall this album is like helicopter blades grazing your ears--intense. This album sticks in your head and you ponder on the verbosity of it even when you're not listening to it .
Its a dope album, haters suck a dick. 90/100
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 7:00 pm

nice review, i wouldnt rate it as high as you but its a nice album that people are bashing for pretty stupid reasons. I didnt like most of the guests though but the Femcee was good and a couple other
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 7:30 pm

Nice review Trotter! I like the album also. Canibus has definately matured since his last album. Don't know what he's trying to accomplish by dissing Eminem and KRS-One. I think he'll just be pissing a lot of people off. Hell, the game needs a little stirring up. Good effort this time around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitimeFri 12 Mar 2010, 11:47 pm

OK, Trotter, I own 3 Canibus albums, and I actually know who DZK is and was aware of him before this cd dropped. So don't start talking shit before you know what's up. The girl's name is Psalm One and she's on Rhymesayers. SMH.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar 2010, 10:15 am

Nice review, I like the album also. It really surprised me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitimeTue 16 Mar 2010, 9:28 am

KRob86 wrote:
Nice review, I like the album also. It really surprised me.

Co-Sign, the review is good and after several spins it still holds at 4 stars for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)   Melantonin Magik (The Official Review) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Melantonin Magik (The Official Review)
Page 1 of 1