Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gang Starr Versus

Go down 
+3
T. Myers
Shaun
TheHazardous
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 12:20 am

Daily Operation vs. Moment of Truth vs. The Ownerz

All three have been referred to as their best work, what you claiming? And why?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 2:13 am

The Ownerz? I don't think that's up there with the best.... anywhere. But, Daily Operation gets my vote. Moment Of Truth is a close second or third.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 7:42 am

Daily Operation
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 9:31 am

TheHazardous wrote:
Daily Operation vs. Moment of Truth vs. The Ownerz

All three have been referred to as their best work, what you claiming? And why?

The Ownerz, while a 4 star album, is not one of their best, respectively. Of the 3 choices, the best would go to Moment Of Truth, hands down. Guru was great on the mic, Premo brought the slammin production as usual, little to no filler at all. That's why I pick MOT.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 11:50 am

Hard to Earn
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 5:59 pm

Moment Of Truth. Even though there are a couple of weaker tracks on the second half of the album, I still play it more than any in their catalog.

And I love The Ownerz but I've never heard anyone say that was their favorite from Gang Starr.
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 6:27 pm

I've heard some of the younger kids rant and rave about Ownerz - I never seen it - mine goes to Moment of Truf
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 7:08 pm

Moment of Truth all day!!!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 7:10 pm

toss up between Daily Op and MOT for me, depends on my mood but today ill say Moment of Truth
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 7:40 pm

You know it's lonely at the top and whatever you do, you always gotta watch motherfuckers around you. Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, we all must meet our MOMENT OF TRUTH!!
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 9:18 pm

Hard To Earn is my favorite album from Gang Starr.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 10:06 pm

Wayne wrote:
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 10:06 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 10:18 pm

Thanx 4 yall's input, in hindsight I should've made it a poll.
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 11:29 pm

My Gangstarr rankings (the first four being classics)

Moment Of Truth
Daily Operation
Step In The Arena
Hard To Earn
The Ownerz
No More Mr Nice Guy
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeTue 13 Apr 2010, 11:41 pm

Here's how I rank (still haven't listened to No More Mr. Nice Guy)

1. Hard to Earn - GS at their peak, where on almost every track Premier and Guru & Co. were in complete sync
2. Daily Operation - Guru at his best lyrically, and Premier giving a preview of his excellence about to be displayed on Hard to Earn
3. Moment of Truth - Some of Gang Starr's best songs, but not as consistent as the first two.
4. Step In The Arena - The first classic, the album that really started Gang Starr's career, but a little dated.
5. The Ownerz - Some good tracks but a few throwaways and not very consistent at all.
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 3:43 pm

I disagree. I think Guru was at his best lyrically on Moment Of Truth, and it was a very consistent album with the title track, Militia, Above The Clouds, Royalty, You Know My Steez, Work, New York Strait Talk, B.I. vs Friendship, and the like.

Hard to Earn was dope, but after Mass Appeal, DWYCK, and Code Of The Streets there's a bit of a dropoff by Guru.

Daily Operation probably featured Primo's best GS beats, but not Guru's best rhymes. Premo completely carried him on that album.

I don't think Step In The Arena is dated at all. Just To Get A Rep is probably my fav GS track and that beat is still very relevant.

With all that said, all 4 of the aforementioned albums are 5 stars IMO.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 8:06 pm

Guru was at his best on The Ownerz, and Primo was best on MOT, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 8:08 pm

"I don't think Step In The Arena is dated at all. Just To Get A Rep is probably my fav GS track and that beat is still very relevant."

I don't get how people can rank SITA over MOT, HTE, or DO. At all.
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 8:58 pm

A smartass comment deserves a smartass response, hence that's what I gave you.

I love SITA. Just To Get A Rep, Check The Technique, Who\'s Gonna Take The Weight, and As I Read my S-A are some of my fav Gangstarr tracks.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Wed 14 Apr 2010, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 9:03 pm

Shaun wrote:
Wow. Get Biggie's schlong out of you, good sir. That's illegal in this country.

SMH, I don't get down like that.

But anyway, I love SITA. Just To Get A Rep, Who's Gonna Take The Weight, Check The Technique, and Can I Read My S-A are some of my fav GS tracks. There's not a weak track on there. You should revisit it sometime.
Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

I love how someone can point out weaknesses in several albums, differences in them - rank some of them over others... and the categorically declare them all to be 5 star classics.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitimeWed 14 Apr 2010, 10:31 pm

"But anyway, I love SITA. Just To Get A Rep, Who's Gonna Take The Weight, Check The Technique, and Can I Read My S-A are some of my fav GS tracks. There's not a weak track on there. You should revisit it sometime."

SITA is a 5 star album to me. I skip nothing on it, and there's nothing weak. BUT, it doesn't have the highs of the other Gangstarr albums, IMO (outside of Just To Get A Rep and Check The Technique). That keeps it lower than them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gang Starr Versus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gang Starr Versus   Gang Starr Versus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gang Starr Versus
Page 1 of 1