Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts

Go down 
+3
Alan
Dang! Trotter
Cold Loungin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Cold Loungin

Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeFri 16 Apr 2010, 6:22 pm

It was always going to be hard to follow up on something as heavy as South Park Psycho. What do you give his PSYCHIC THOUGHTS album out of 5 stars and what were your fav tracks and thoughts?

PS I always thought it was the craziest album cover

Last edited by lounge on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeFri 16 Apr 2010, 9:25 pm

I give it 4 stars. 5 stars on sentimental value. The album is thoroughly entertaining. As far as the album's form NIP was dead-on. I dope first track, 2 flawless posse cuts, even a pretty decent "stop the violence" track at the end. Very contradicting though. My fav is Rough Brothers
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeFri 16 Apr 2010, 9:41 pm

Hey Trotter, are you talkin about South Park Psycho ?? I would like people's thoughts, ratings and fav tracks from Pyschic Thoughts from 1993. Sorry if I wrote things a bit confusing. I might edit now so it reads a bit easier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSat 17 Apr 2010, 3:30 pm

This one had a completely different sound from SPP. I did not like it when I 1st heard it but it grew on me later. I still think it ranks 3rd in his discog and I would rate it 3.75 now and 4.0 maybe back then.

My fav trks:

Fuck You (one of the hardest posse trks ever)
Psychic Thoughts
Reporter From Hell
Come Into My World

I never fully took the time to break that cover down, what was your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSat 17 Apr 2010, 5:03 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I never fully took the time to break that cover down, what was your thoughts?

Same here. I was always a bit puzzled by it. lol

Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Psychic+thoughts

Anyway, I own a copy on cassette and have spun it a few times. Dope album for sure. I'd rank it around 4 stars from what I remember, but haven't spun it enough/or recently to pick favorites.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 7:41 am

I am in the same boat as you Kev, did not like it that much after first hearing, but then came back to it later. In one respect the album could be thought of as a situation like Doggystyle and Tha Doggfather.

There was a bit of change in the beats, and Nip's style transformed slightly, as on this he added in a lot more of his "psycho Nip" alter-ego, which continued on into his next album too. His lyrics are still crazy though and I think some, not all, of his delivery and lyrics remain unchanged from SPP.

Overall I like all the tracks really, my only gripe is SetUp Bitches chorus gets a bit irritating but the beat is pretty dope.

To choose fav's though I would say:

Trance
Psychic Thoughts
Reporter From Hell
Only NIP Can Do It
Come Into My World

To break down the album cover is hard. Someone like Nip, being the psychotic genius, you never know what the hell it could mean! But I remember when I first saw that cover I thought damn this is gonna be some psycho shit!

In the B4 picture, you see Lil Fri (don't know who he was), with his white hat facing forward, black pants and a video camera strapped over his shoulder, holding a gun to the black man. I also see either a white t-shirt (or is it a sheet?) and it appears to be maybe tucked into the back of his pants. Underneath the photo reads "Mentally Dead".

Then in the After side, you got Nip, with a black hat facing backward, white pants and holding a gun to the white man. It appears he also may also have something (white?) tucked into the back of his pants. Then underneath this one it reads "Resurrected".

To complicate it further in the inside page it has Nip holding Lil Fri around the neck and the caption says "Mentally dead head must be removed!!"

If I go according to what Nip raps about in the album, he constantly refers to cops and whites as devils, and also has a couple direct references to genocide of them, and killing them in thousands. I thought maybe the bodies on the ground in each photo might possibly be cops as they appear to be wearing both black shirts, however when I look closely at the white one in particular it looks like he might be wearing jeans, and maybe same for the other guy too. So that kinda makes me rule out it might not be about cops, although Nip pays them a great deal of attention in the album.

The next thing I wonder is, does Lil Fri having the video camera mean there is some relation to the track "Reporter From Hell" ??

The last thing I think, which is about the most solid thing I have come to so far, is that Nip does rap about black on black crime, and about blacks teaming up and killing the devils... Could the photo be a reference or viewpoint that the black man is MENTALLY DEAD when he is killing his own kind, but then RESURRECTED when he is killing the white man instead?

So far that's what I've come up with... what do you guys think? Can you see anything else or got any other ideas ?
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 8:01 am

oops forgot to add my rating, I think 3.75 is about where I'd have it, no less.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:29 pm

Lounge that is the samething I was thinking, well that last theory. Where black on black is mentally dead and redirecting that anger to the oppresser is resurrection.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:53 pm

im listening to South Park Psycho right now for the first time
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 4:26 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Lounge that is the samething I was thinking, well that last theory. Where black on black is mentally dead and redirecting that anger to the oppresser is resurrection.

Yeah that's what it seems most likely to be I reckon. I had also wondered if the colour of their hats and pants, even the wearing of their hats in different directions meant anything but maybe I'm just looking too deep...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 4:27 pm

lol @ 'I reckon'
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 4:53 pm

Shaun wrote:
lol @ 'I reckon'

I reckon so... haave you heard this album god of gamblers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:15 am

lounge wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Yeah that's what it seems most likely to be I reckon. I had also wondered if the colour of their hats and pants, even the wearing of their hats in different directions meant anything but maybe I'm just looking too deep...

Now that I looked at it some more there has to be a reason NIp is wearing his hat to the back and some other small details switched up from the frame with Lil Fri. I always thought that was Nip in both frames. He's just wearing a Lil Fri hat. Lil Fri was in Street Military right?
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 6:48 am

Now that I looked at it some more there has to be a reason NIp is wearing his hat to the back and some other small details switched up from the frame with Lil Fri. I always thought that was Nip in both frames. He's just wearing a Lil Fri hat. Lil Fri was in Street Military right?[/quote]

Naa, I think you are thinking of Lil Flea from Street Military.. I dont know where Lil Fri was from, but I used to think it was Nip in both pics too. The photos are very dark so it's not hard to think that, but when you look closely you can see that it's not Nip in both. Nip has longer arms than him too. I dont know what else could be said, it is difficult to work out what the other differences could be about... Maybe we need to start thinking like a Ganksta Nip to work it out!! Now that's a worry !!
Back to top Go down
mrpittiful
Woof
Woof

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 1:29 pm

the reason nip wearin black in one pic and white in the other pic cuz its represent how he was and and the changes he made in life.... lil fri was a friend of nip who the croocked cop kill b4 nip first album........ both pic is gansta nip
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 1:47 pm

Those pictures are clearly two different people. One of those dudes looks like he could benchpress the other.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 4:05 pm

Yeah, plus the dude on the right is like Wesley Snipes, and the dude on the left is like Obama
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 4:54 pm

mrpittiful wrote:
the reason nip wearin black in one pic and white in the other pic cuz its represent how he was and and the changes he made in life.... lil fri was a friend of nip who the croocked cop kill b4 nip first album........ both pic is gansta nip

Mate, do you own this cd ? I suggest having a careful look at the artwork and the inside cover where Lil Fri is standing right there next to Nip. If Lil Fri was killed before South Park Psycho album as you say, that would mean this photo shoot for Psychic Thoughts would have had to be done maybe 2 years prior to 1993... and that seems highly unlikely. From memory I don't recall Nip including anything in his rap that Lil Fri was killed by a cop either, which you might expect him to if something like that happened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 5:23 pm

Oh snnnnaaap!!! Lounge is starting a fight... when an Aussie says Mate, he means business...
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeThu 01 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
im listening to South Park Psycho right now for the first time

so how was it?
Back to top Go down
MURDERGHOST
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
MURDERGHOST

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitimeThu 01 Sep 2011, 11:54 pm

I won this tape a few weeks ago in a tape lot auction...

But haven't heard it yet... but yeah... that cover is eye catching...

I'll be listening to this soon...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts   Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ganksta Nip - Psychic Thoughts
Page 1 of 1