Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should longer albums be held in higher regard

Go down 
+6
TheHazardous
Norfeest
Half
E. Taylor
Laced With Slang
T. Myers
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 11:14 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
Lionel Hutz wrote:
I hope that was sarcasm... I know for a fact of at least 5 double disc albums better than illmatic:

WTF
All Eyez on Me
Lost
Thug Mentality
Killer

That's your opinion and that's fine. I doubt you would find too many people that would agree with you. This whole discussion is a waste of time and pretty much stupid.

Co-Sign. Illmatic trumps ANY double CD. As do Paid In Full, Criminal Minded, and Radio.

Saying a longer classic album is better than a shorter classic album based solely on the length. is like saying a longer classic movie is better than a shorter classic movie for the same reason. Run time is completely irrelevant when it comes to greatness.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 11:39 pm

I really enjoy the EP that Rae, Meth & Ghost put out this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 11:47 pm

KJ I understand your metaphor, and it seems to equal what Jason is saying. You both take in albums as whole pieces of work instead of individual songs...which is ridiculous. Songs are songs, and together they compromise albums. Movies, however, are made up of scenes and each pertain to each other. The analogy isn't apt, period. Also, KJ, ask your relatives that are 12 and 16 who they agree with, me or you.

Also, Jason, I never said you had to agree with me, I simply said that your argument doesn't hold water. Terry (some one who obviously has disagreed with enough of what I've said to refer to me as KJ, or at least how I've said it) has told ALL of you, that not a single one of you has addressed my question.

Again, I'll reiterate, tomorrow I'm dropping a dope single. It'll be perfect for 10 seconds, and therefore, by your standards, comparable to Ras Kass' "Nature Of The Threat" even though that song is considerably longer and therefore much more difficult to make.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:14 am

Let's take a hypothetical album. I'll keep it short and simple, and I'll just describe the songs by tempo:

1. Uptempo
2. Mid tempo
3. Slow tempo
4. Mid tempo
5. Uptempo
6. Slow tempo
7. Slow tempo
8. Mid tempo
9. Uptempo

Now rearrange it:

1. Slow tempo
2. Slow tempo
3. Slow tempo
4. Mid tempo
5. Mid tempo
6. Mid tempo
7. Up tempo
8. Up tempo
9. Up tempo

These albums are the exact same songs, but are they the same exact experience? The first album starts on a high, then brings it down, than up to another rise, than a lull, before ending on a rise. The second album is a slow build to a big payoff. Is it ridiculous that someone might prefer one of those philosophies to the other? Album don't have concrete plots like movies, but they do produce movement. If judging an album was no different than judging individual songs, and adding them up to get a score, the different sequences above shouldn't change the listening experience one bit.

Maybe it doesn't matter at all to you, but things like sequencing do matter to others, and have been important in music for a long time, so it's not ridiculous to take an album as a whole work, that is something more than just the individual songs.

Last edited by Jason on Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:19 am

10 seconds vs 7 minutes is, again, not the same question as 40 minutes vs 80 minutes. I do find it doubtful that 10 seconds of great music could compare to 7 minutes of great music, but I won't accept that being generalized as applying to the album discussion, because 10 seconds simply isn't enough time to build anything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:31 am

Right, and neither is 9 songs, really. But thanks for actually addressing my question that time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:33 am

Also, the whole "slope" of an album, again, is just made more difficult by adding more music to the album. ALSO, this makes me respect an artist who can do it well more than an artist who can just do it over 9 songs. How hard is that to really understand?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:37 am

Disagreeing is not the same as not understanding. I haven't had trouble understanding your viewpoint. I just have a different one. I'm more apt to appreciate efficiency.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:50 am

Music isn't effecient, it's emotive.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:51 am

They're not mutually exclusive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:58 am

Guys generally like it quick... girls like it longer...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 11:44 am

Hey Jeff, what's your GOAT album and what's the runtime on it?
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 1:44 pm

This rarely ever happens, but...

I agree with pretty much everything Jason has said here.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 3:03 pm

Bushido Brown wrote:

I agree with pretty much everything Jason has said here.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should longer albums be held in higher regard   Should longer albums be held in higher regard - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should longer albums be held in higher regard
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3