Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Empty
PostSubject: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:11 am

I know everyone is creaming their pants with Esco over the Marco Polo/Torae CD, but this CD deserves just as much shine. Double Barrel is a dope, solid boom bap styled CD, but I think the production on Jay Stay Paid is way better! If there were more emcees it would be more appealing, but Lil' Fame, Black Though, Doom, Havoc, and Raekwon all rip their tracks to shreds.

It's a collection of 27 beats, most without an emcee, presented in the form of a radio hour, but it is plenty dope and one of the best CDs out this year... just dope head banging J Dilla production.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:16 am

haha, I guess no one is going to give this up huh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:18 am

It'll pass man...eventually...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:19 am

i agree with SRP on this the album is for sure bangs and is really good to bump when you just wanna listen to dope beats especially loud when driving its good shit

and i also think Double Barrel is overrated by this forum....its a really dope album but definitely not album of the year material
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:22 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
i agree with SRP on this the album is for sure bangs and is really good to bump when you just wanna listen to dope beats especially loud when driving its good shit

and i also think Double Barrel is overrated by this forum....its a really dope album but definitely not album of the year material

Cosign 1000X

I like Double Barrel alot. Booming beats, good emceeing - it's a nice CD but that is it, I think it is overrated a tad bit. I think Jay Stay Paid is better which is saying a lot since Double Barrel is solid. The production is just tons more innovative and fresh on Jay's album, no knock on Polo.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:24 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
It'll pass man...eventually...

haha, its whatever, it makes me laugh when everyone says some shit about it. Aside from that, I think I'm going to have to check this album out, nothing but positive feedback so far.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:25 am

if you like this you will like the Ecstatic ive been bumping it all night
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:28 am

Slang Editorial wrote:

I've never been all that into Mos Def, but If I do like the Dilla album I'll check it out,and If I like Ecstatic, Ill check out his other 3 albums
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:32 am

Esco, you never peeped Black on Both Sides? Mos' other two albums are borderline garbage - but BOBS is one of the top 25 albums of all time IMO... you missing out son...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:32 am

Esco wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

I've never been all that into Mos Def, but If I do like the Dilla album I'll check it out,and If I like Ecstatic, Ill check out his other 3 albums

well the Dilla album doesnt really sound like the Mos Def but its sort of in the same style of hip hop if that makes any sense....like the beats on Ecstatic are more similar to beats on this album as opposed to say Double Barrel

but i really suggest gettin into Mos Def, one of the best flows in rap (at least he had)...id start with Blackstar and Black on Both Sides though, after one night im already calling Ecstatic easily his 2nd best solo after Black on Both Sides...
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:38 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Esco, you never peeped Black on Both Sides? Mos' other two albums are borderline garbage - but BOBS is one of the top 25 albums of all time IMO... you missing out son...

I've heard about 2-3 songs off it but it didn't strike me as something I'd really enjoy. Ill download the album and put the lyrics on my ipod and read along with the song. That usually helps me appreciate what I'm listening to.

Slang, I've also heard Respiration & Definition off Blackstar which I liked, so I guess I'll end up checking that out too.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:41 am

how do you put the lyrics on your ipod?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:44 am

How is that CD not in your taste range? Given what you like I'd say it is exactly the type of shit you would bump Esco... unless the whole black thing is throwing you off - you don't bump a lot of PE do you?
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:45 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
how do you put the lyrics on your ipod?

right click the song, click GET INFO, look for the lyrics tap, the copy the site with the lyrics and paste on the itunes window.
There's also a program(forgot the name, its Crank something) thats a plug in for your itunes, and when you play the song it searches its database and finds the lyrics and automatically puts the lyrics into your ipod. I stop using it cause it has a hard time finding underground lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:47 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
How is that CD not in your taste range? Given what you like I'd say it is exactly the type of shit you would bump Esco... unless the whole black thing is throwing you off - you don't bump a lot of PE do you?

It was a while ago when I heard the few songs, but I remember it not grabbing my attention so I've put Mos off since then. Don't know what you mean by the "black thing" but yea I do listen to P.E.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:51 am

Esco wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

It was a while ago when I heard the few songs, but I remember it not grabbing my attention so I've put Mos off since then. Don't know what you mean by the "black thing" but yea I do listen to P.E.

I dunno if you white or black, but I've come across some white people who love rap but are turned off by the black pride thing... thought that might be the deal... I dunno though - every song on that CD is banging...
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:54 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Esco wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

I dunno if you white or black, but I've come across some white people who love rap but are turned off by the black pride thing... thought that might be the deal... I dunno though - every song on that CD is banging...

I'm hispanic, and nah I don't mind the whole black pride thing, If they're rapping about something real, I'm down. I didn't even know Mos was all about that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 1:59 am

He is but not as overtly as PE. Black On Both Sides has some deep songs, like Mr. N-Word with Q-Tip, Mathematics, etc... dope CD...
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 2:02 am

alright, when I get a chance Ill DL it and see how it is, I'll get back to you and Slang once I spin it.
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 3:18 am

I'm convinced on checking this album out now. All I need is some money...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 3:38 am

"Slang, I've also heard Respiration & Definition off Blackstar which I liked, so I guess I'll end up checking that out too"

Duddddddddddddddddde. BlackStar is top 5 all time, IMO. I've never seen anyone give it less than 5 stars, either
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 4:18 pm

Disagree.

Double Barrell is album of the year material along with Tanya Morgan. Both easily 09 5 star CD's. Jay Stay Paid is great, but its mostly 2-3 minute instrumentals with some guest Mc's thrown in. Its a top 5 09 release no doubt, but it falls short in moving D.B. or T.M. off the top of my list. No matter how great Dilla is, theres no a way a instrumental cd for the most part is beating out full vocal albums for album of the year. When the last time a instrumental cd actually finished as album of the year. J.S.P. as one of the best releases of this year was a correct statement but not thee best. All three albums are great tho. I'm loving 09 so far.
Back to top Go down
Haterex
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
Haterex

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 6:07 pm

Who's this marco polo guy? JSP is easily better than Tanya Morgan and Double Barrel combined.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeThu 04 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

He's Undisputed/Vernon/M. Smith/ etc. etc. Now he is just mimicking everyone's underground tastes to try and fit in...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 6:25 am

Haterex wrote:
Who's this marco polo guy? JSP is easily better than Tanya Morgan and Double Barrel combined.

In your opinion maybe. In my opinion JSP is top 5 but does not surpass T.M. OR D.B. Right now D.B. and T.M. still holds the top spot.
Back to top Go down
Haterex
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
Haterex

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 1:35 pm

Nah, not just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me on this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 4:38 pm

Haterex wrote:
Nah, not just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me on this one.

All I know is that Jay Stay Paid has to be a 5-star classic to beat out Tanya Morgan's new joint. And I don't foresee it being as good as "Donuts". So I'll go ahead and disagree now, Ex. lol

I still need to buy it though....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 4:39 pm

Haterex wrote:

You don't even like hip-hop like Tanya Morgan anyway, Ex, so of course you'll like Dilla better.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeFri 05 Jun 2009, 7:18 pm

was anyone else pissed this wasnt 9.99 at Best Buy the day it came out...?

all i know is Mos Def and DJ Quik/Kurupt both better be 9.99 come Tuesday....thats the only reason i ever go to best buy for CDs lol
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 5:33 am

At my FYE, everything is 9.99
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid   J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid
Page 1 of 1