Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!

Go down 
+7
Jason
parker lewis
Funk Seoul Brother
Half
T. Myers
Dwight
Alan
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Empty
PostSubject: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 6:41 pm

Too early? Fuck it...

5 star classic all the way around. Not only album of the year (so far), but the best album I've heard in 4 years (or more). Yes, I do feel this album is better than "The Old Prince". I can hardly believe it myself, but he absolutely topped himself in every way possible IMO. After 25-30 listens, I don't see how it could possibly budge from the 5 star podium...at least to me. Anybody interested in a hook-up, hit me up (Norf, I sent it to you a few days ago).

Lyrics: 11/10
Beats: 10/10
Concepts: 10/10
Originality 10/10

My favorite tracks (in bold, super favorites in bold red):
1. “Intro”
2. “Rose Garden”
3. “Keep Shining”
4. “Lucky 1’s”

5. “A Good Name”

6. “We Are The Ones (Reservoir Poetry)”
7. “Telephone”
8. “Call Waiting (Interlude)”
9. “Yaa I Get It”
10. “Listen”
11. “At The Same Time”
12. “We, Myself, and I”

13. “Outro”

Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Up-SHAD_TSOL_web

Last edited by Alan on Wed 19 May 2010, 7:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 11:09 pm

Alan wrote:
Lyrics: 11/10

Lol, it must be good. Could you hit me up with a link man?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 11:16 pm

Link me up
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 11:16 pm

It's still about a 4 star album for me. I still prefer The Old Prince by a large margin. But yeah, Shad, woo
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 5:53 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
It's still about a 4 star album for me. I still prefer The Old Prince by a large margin. But yeah, Shad, woo

I just don't see how that's even possible. I can see prefering one over the other, but by a wide margin? Both are 5 star classics to me, but I do feel TSOL has better beats, lyrics, and concepts. Can you explain why you don't like it as much? Just curious...

Dwight & Terry...links sent...and yes, 11/10 on the lyrics for sure. lol
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 10:57 am

Alright, i appreciate the link. This album grabbed my attention a lot more than The Old Prince did. I know the album will be compared to The Old Prince. Lyrically, i don't see much of a change, but these beats were much more accessible to me, and they framed his lyricism perfectly. We, Myself, and I was the track that stood out the most to me after one spin, but that could change with repeated spins. I would assume those repeated spins will come sooner rather than later. I'm not gonna pay the extra dough to order it from Amazon.Ca, but i'll cop it when it's released in the states(June 1st i think?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 11:04 am

smh... I don't see the big deal about this album. The Old Prince had better beats and lyrics point blank period. Terry is a Shad hater so his opinion is irrelevant. He is just saying he likes this more because he is a slore and wants to upset me.

I need to give this more spins, but I do not see this ever being as good as The Old Prince, and that was a certified consensus classic.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 11:06 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
smh... I don't see the big deal about this album. The Old Prince had better beats and lyrics point blank period. Terry is a Shad hater so his opinion is irrelevant. He is just saying he likes this more because he is a slore and wants to upset me.

I need to give this more spins, but I do not see this ever being as good as The Old Prince, and that was a certified consensus classic.

Yep, 28 out of the 29 people who've heard the album think it's a classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 11:09 am

T. Myers wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Yep, 28 out of the 29 people who've heard the album think it's a classic.

28 out of 28.

You are not a person, you're a blob.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 1:08 pm

Link me up maybe i'll like it betta than Old Prince.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:07 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Yeah man, give it some more spins. IMO, TSOL has better lyrics and beats point blank. I easily give TSOL the edge. I've been bumping both albums back to back, so I really don't feel my opinion is skewed of either album (besides the fact I love both).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:08 pm

Who's the pansy ass admin who keeps changing the title of my thread?

I changed it. Happy now? lol
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:09 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Link me up maybe i'll like it betta than Old Prince.

link sent. I hope you enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:11 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Alright, i appreciate the link. This album grabbed my attention a lot more than The Old Prince did. I know the album will be compared to The Old Prince. Lyrically, i don't see much of a change, but these beats were much more accessible to me, and they framed his lyricism perfectly. We, Myself, and I was the track that stood out the most to me after one spin, but that could change with repeated spins. I would assume those repeated spins will come sooner rather than later. I'm not gonna pay the extra dough to order it from Amazon.Ca, but i'll cop it when it's released in the states(June 1st i think?)

Tight man! Glad to hear you like it more. The production definitely reels you more IMO. Lyrically, there isn't much difference...it's still superb IMO. I'd give The Old Prince 11/10 on the lyrics side too.

I have no clue when it drops in the States.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:15 pm

Hey Pounds, I have no clue who is changing your title, but I do not think it is an admin. I tried to quote Halfy at least 3-4 times and it would not let me post and kept telling me something about a thread title, which was weird because I was just replying to a post within a thread. So far the only way I can even reply is if I use the quick reply box. I don't know if there is a glitch or what is causing that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:16 pm

Alan wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Yeah man, give it some more spins. IMO, TSOL has better lyrics and beats point blank. I easily give TSOL the edge. I've been bumping both albums back to back, so I really don't feel my opinion is skewed of either album (besides the fact I love both).

Let me try this again... hmmm... hit me up with a link pounds. I heard Shad's first album for the first time today and it is close to the Old Prince so I want to give it more spins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:17 pm

Hmmm, it let me post - but I noticed a box on the bottom that said "Modify Topic Title" - this is the only thread where that ever pops up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:17 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:18 pm

smh!!!! When I quote Halfy the forum automatically changes the title to SHAD!!!! WTF?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:22 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Hey Pounds, I have no clue who is changing your title, but I do not think it is an admin. I tried to quote Halfy at least 3-4 times and it would not let me post and kept telling me something about a thread title, which was weird because I was just replying to a post within a thread. So far the only way I can even reply is if I use the quick reply box. I don't know if there is a glitch or what is causing that.

LOL...that's cool. I'm not sure who/what it could be. I thought someone was mad I was calling it album of the year already...lol.

EDIT:

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
smh!!!! When I quote Halfy the forum automatically changes the title to SHAD!!!! WTF?

Huh...weird. lol. Well, I guess the title "Shad" will have to do...without all my crazy superlatives. lol
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:29 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

You want to know what's more messed up? I tried to edit my initial post...the body of the post. And it says the thread title has to be at least 5 characters, so it wouldn't save. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:31 pm

You somehow glitched the board pounds... try changing the title of your initial post and see if it sticks now that we seem to know the problem.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:44 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
You somehow glitched the board pounds... try changing the title of your initial post and see if it sticks now that we seem to know the problem.

I did, and I think it stuck this time. I removed the quote symbols...maybe that was screwing something up.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 7:52 pm

Lets see if this posts correctly this time.

After another spin, i still think this is better than The Old Prince. I'm really digging it a lot
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 8:13 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Lets see if this posts correctly this time.

After another spin, i still think this is better than The Old Prince. I'm really digging it a lot

lol...

Glad to see Shad's winning some new fans...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 9:09 pm

Well after another spin it sounds tons better. I think that streaming thing had a lot to do with my initial thoughts. I spun it streamed twice, but it felt disjointed and I read his little description for each track and it didn't add to the experience.

Spinning it straight through and I have much higher opinion of the album. Not sure how it compares to The Old Prince yet.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 9:49 pm

Nice...I know what you mean with the streaming too...
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 4:47 pm

I listened to this once all the way through and I gotta say it's dope. I don't think it's as good as The Old Prince but it's definetely in my top ten for the year.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 6:44 pm

Dwight wrote:
I listened to this once all the way through and I gotta say it's dope. I don't think it's as good as The Old Prince but it's definetely in my top ten for the year.

Maybe it's sentimental attachment to The Old Prince, but the production on this one is just much nicer IMO. Don't get me wrong. The Old Prince took a nice minimalist approach on the production side. And overall, I think Shad was a bit more "goofy" on The Old Prince. He cracks a lot of jokes and has fun on both albums, but it seemed a bit more overt on The Old Prince. Also, the addition of more scratching/turntablism makes me like the new one more. I guess you can say it's a "fuller" sound. I suppose some may feel that "fuller" = "overproduced". I can see that with some albums, but the production seems so fitting here IMO. Anyway, enough rambling. My opinion of the album just goes higher considering 2 of my good buds love the album now. lol
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 9:59 pm

Alan wrote:
The Old Prince. Also, the addition of more scratching/turntablism makes me like the new one more. I guess you can say it's a "fuller" sound.

I'd agree with that Pounds. But that's why I like The Old Prince more. I think the production is a little more light and soulful. The lyrics on both albums are about the same, I just dig The Old Prince's production a little better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 10:41 am

Okay forgive me ahead of time please.....

This dude voice and delivery is as about entertaining as watching a old lady reading a 500 page book. I mean on most trks he sounds like he's reading off the paper or just having a causl convo with you. Now that may be entertaining to some but not to me. Lyrically he is average at best. Its so funny to me how other rappers get clowned for basically the same thing he displays. Like he has some Kanye in him to me but folks clown Ye.

Now the plus that will make me appreciate this album more is the beats and hooks are very good. The album has a good flow to it and the sound is real good. Since he's not a very entertaining rapper the beats help him very well. Just like some see Ye and Game I see him. I will admit this one grabbed my attention more than that overrated boring ass 1st album. I can see some spins from this one mos def.

Overall good rec Pounds.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 11:05 am

After a few listens this is sitting at around 4 stars. Great concepts and beats but his voice is quite repulsive.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 6:37 pm

Glad to hear you (both) like it, but his voice/flow/lyrics/lyricism is what I enjoy most about the album. So I (obviously) disagree there. He's an excellent rapper IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 6:50 pm

I think any artists who get bigged up by anybody end up getting undue hate around here for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 7:08 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think any artists who get bigged up by anybody end up getting undue hate around here for whatever reason.

Yep. There's a lot of spiteful hoes round here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 7:09 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Yep. There's a lot of spiteful hoes round here.

Yeah, I don't really get it. Me, Pounds, and Norf are probably the only three people who consider The Old Prince classic, but I guess to some people that is 3 people too many.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 7:16 pm

Well, it's not really my style, but I'd have to give it at least 4.5 stars. Actually, the only thing I can find "wrong" with it is that it's not the type of hip-hop I'm into, really. I'm inconsistent in this respect, though. I go through periods where I like a certain sound, then I drop it and get into something else for awhile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeSun 23 May 2010, 7:45 pm

SRP you sound like your feelings hurt or something. I haven't really noticed anybody "hating" on any Shad album. For the most part I only hear good-great things about him.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 2:52 pm

I like the production, it's pretty warm and soulful, but I don't see how Shad is any more than an average rapper. The first thing I noticed is that he has a pretty bad case of lame simile disease. There are verses on this album where almost every line is "I'm [blank] like [blank]," and that's a clear sign of a rapper lacking in writing skills, and even when he manages to avoid that, I don't hear good imagery, creative wordplay, unique rhyme structure, or any of the kind of stuff that would justify the "Lyrics: 11/10" hyperbole. I get that you can just say, "well, we disagree," but I'd love to see a breakdown of some of the verses on this album, showing where this great lyricism is.

Last edited by Jason on Mon 24 May 2010, 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 2:55 pm

KRob86 wrote:
SRP you sound like your feelings hurt or something. I haven't really noticed anybody "hating" on any Shad album. For the most part I only hear good-great things about him.

You hit the nail right on the head K.Rob. Like you always do. Wait, am I the one bitching about Nas and his flat our wrong statements and then implying square white boys don't understand this rap shit? No, that's you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 2:58 pm

OH MY GOD! Kev's right, SRP, stop complaining and leave that to the pros. Kevin and Johnathon, the Heavy Flow Twins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 3:09 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head K.Rob. Like you always do. Wait, am I the one bitching about Nas and his flat our wrong statements and then implying square white boys don't understand this rap shit? No, that's you.

You are the one who trys to find ways to get certain people winded up just for your lame amusment, right? And a lot of these square whiteboys don't know nothing about the soul of this rap shit. But guess what?....they are not the only race that don't get it at times either.

And once again you are the hoe with the biggest pussy on this forum and you trying to call somebody out? I mean really you amaze man that is why I say on your faking ass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 3:16 pm

Half of that didn't make sense K.Rob. I called you out because it is hypocritical for you to sit here and try to say I have "hurt feelings" when you're practically in tears in the Nas thread, defending that helpless black man from the onslaught of white guys talking science vs. religion. God forbid a black rapper be inaccurate, especially not one of your idols, and God forbid a white man point it out. No, it's better for us to keep it real and let Nas spew these inaccuracies so 20 years from now all the kids will repeat the same bullshit as fact.

As far as YOU taking what I said in this thread personally, that's on you.

I was just noticing a trend on here that affects and is promoted by many people.

Trotter loves Megalon and all of a sudden he's the wackest fucking rapper ever.

Some people love K-Rino and tons of people consider he's an overrated wack rapper.

Jason recs Blackalicious and people try to clown them for it, etc. etc.

People are free to have their own opinion, I just wonder how much some of this shit is personal bullshit.

For a dude who constantly complains about "diverse" tastes you are quick to shit on other tastes when they don't fit your definition of "diverse."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 7:19 pm

Well I already admited I did not know what Nas verse they were discussing and I still haven't listened to it so I have no more opinion on that until then.

As far as your examples of why you made your statement I see where you are coming from but its still just a generalization kinda. Because you do the samething with certain artist other people hold highly but do you be "hating"? I don't think so I know you just messing with a certain guest who falls for your traps all the time.

And I don't SHIT on others taste I just may not agree with it. Whats wrong with that? You just need to admit you got a lil uptight because I had something to say about your boy.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 7:39 pm

I'm not sure exactly what N3R0 was talking about, either. My point was basically that it is entirely reasonable for him to discuss his religious point of view in his albums. My reasoning for this is that a lot of what people disagree with in the religion vs science debate is just that; debatable. Unless he's going on about fake fossils or some wacky shit. He might be, I don't know of the top.

Where I agreed that he can be pretty dumb is in some of the random statements he makes. A lot of times he tries dropping some knowledge or presenting some irony, and he's flat out wrong.

A good example is in saying that Rockefeller died of AIDS. That's a ridiculous statement, and it made him look pretty fucking dumb to say it. I don't have any more specifics off the top. But I do know that I, pretty regularly, find myself shaking my head at Nas' ridiculous attempts to seem smarter than he is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 8:28 pm

Maybe he got Rockafeller and Rock Hudson mixed up? Or maybe there are conspiracy theories out there that he did die of aids.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:14 pm

Jason wrote:
I like the production, it's pretty warm and soulful, but I don't see how Shad is any more than an average rapper. The first thing I noticed is that he has a pretty bad case of lame simile disease. There are verses on this album where almost every line is "I'm [blank] like [blank]," and that's a clear sign of a rapper lacking in writing skills, and even when he manages to avoid that, I don't hear good imagery, creative wordplay, unique rhyme structure, or any of the kind of stuff that would justify the "Lyrics: 11/10" hyperbole. I get that you can just say, "well, we disagree," but I'd love to see a breakdown of some of the verses on this album, showing where this great lyricism is.

A breakdown of some of the verses? Am I suppose to type them out? lol

Yes, I completely disagree. He has a very fluid writing style IMO. He has a ton of multiple-syllable rhymes in there. Clever punchlines, and he's got extremely witty wordplay IMO. You seem to be only talking about the rhyme scheme as opposed to the actual lyrics though. The songwriting/stories/philosophies are top notch. You or Kev may not give a crap about that, but it's something I look for before a clever rhyme scheme...which by the way is excellent IMO, but I'm not really sure what to say other than "I have the opposite opinion". To me, the words he's speaking falls under "Lyrics". And to me, it's an 11/10 (just like Spinal Tap's amp). The ""I'm [blank] like [blank],"" may be true, but when you look at the actual lyrics/meaning of the word, he's extremely clever with it. I guess I'm not really hearing the faults you speak of after about 50 listens. Imagery? Tons of it/ Personally, I find him very relatable, and I tend to agree with his philosophies, and laugh at his corny jokes....so yeah, I completely disagree. I hope that's ok with everyone! lol

Shad literally embodies 99% of what I'm looking for an a rapper these days. Just like Shad is nearly 0% what Kev is looking for, I tend to dislike/not care about many of the newer stuff he brings up. Nothing against you Kev, that goes for a ton of people around here. It is what it is.

Last edited by Alan on Tue 25 May 2010, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:27 pm

KRob86 wrote:
And I don't SHIT on others taste I just may not agree with it. Whats wrong with that? You just need to admit you got a lil uptight because I had something to say about your boy.

You dance a fine line at times. I mean, you did state as if it was fact: Lyrically he is average at best, he's not a very entertaining rapper.

I feel that way about a few rappers in your top 10. That shit is not entertaining to me either.

To you, I can see why you think Shad's the same as Kanye (as much as I can hardly understand this concept...I'm trying to understand it). If you were actually listening to the lyrics, I don't see how you could seriously say that. But I know you hang with the vibe on a lot of music, so I understand why you dropped the comment. Not to mention he probably doesn't rap about shit you care about. One person's trash is another one's gold.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:28 pm

Alan wrote:
Jason wrote:

A breakdown of some of the verses? Am I suppose to type them out? lol

Yes, I completely disagree. He has a very fluid writing style IMO. He has a ton of multiple-syllable rhymes in there. Clever punchlines, and he's got extremely witty wordplay IMO. You seem to be only talking about the rhyme scheme as opposed to the actual lyrics though. The songwriting/stories/philosophies are top notch. You or Kev may not give a crap about that, but it's something I look for before a clever rhyme scheme...which by the way is excellent IMO, but I'm not really sure what to say other than "I have the opposite opinion". To me, the words he's speaking falls under "Lyrics". And to me, it's an 11/10 (just like Spinal Tap's amp). The ""I'm [blank] like [blank],"" may be true, but when you look at the actual lyrics/meaning of the word, he's extremely clever with it. I guess I'm not really hearing the faults you speak of after about 50 listens. Imagery? Tons of it/ Personally, I find him very relatable, and I tend to agree with his philosophies, and laugh at his corny jokes....so yeah, I completely disagree. I hope that's ok with everyone! lol

Shad literally embodies 99% of what I'm looking for an a rapper these days. Just like Shad is nearly 0% what Kev is looking for, I tend to dislike/not care about many of the newer stuff he brings up. Nothing against you Kev, that goes for a ton of people around here. It is what it is.

I'm not only talking about rhyme scheme, I'm not even mostly talking about rhyme scheme, I'm talking about his ability with language, and I don't hear anything a hundred other underground rappers aren't doing. Lyrically, he sounds pretty run of the mill. I'm not hearing much cleverness at all, just simple similes and turns of phrase, and no uniqueness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 9:39 pm

Exactly Jason. Its not that he's just not really my style but there's nothing very special about him imo. And nothings wrong with that because everyone can't stand out like a Gift Of Gab or Big Daddy Kane.

Pounds I only gave my opinion off one listen and you just had to take it deeper huh? Everyone only read the "negative" part of my small comments but no one even mentioned the positive I said about the album. Thats fucked up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year!   Shad - TSOL - Album Of The Year! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: