Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Empty
PostSubject: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 6:06 pm

What do you guys think of this one? Right now, I have it sitting at 4.25 stars. Definitely one of the strongest hip hop releases I've heard so far this year. I wasn't too impressed with Ode To The Ghetto but this album has really changed my mind about Guilty. He drops some gems on these tracks. Although it says Guilty Simpson on the cover, this album is half Madlib - it's full of interludes, intros, and instrumentals. It basically seems like Guilty wanted Madlib to fuck around, and for the most part it works. This is also some of the strangest production I've heard on a hip hop album in a long time - the vocals and beats fade in and out and intertwine with each other, one second of a track emphasizing the beat and the next second emphasizing the vocals. It's a very hazy, dynamically produced album. My only complaint with this album is the pacing - the album begins with a prelude followed by an intro, and almost all of the actual songs have intros or outros. Do not sleep on this one. The best tracks are probably Coroner's Music, Hood Sentence, and Trendsetters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 9:21 pm

I ordered this the other day. Sounds dope from your review. I already knew about the overload of skits. I'll make my own playlist of the actual tracks if it bothers me. Stoney Jackson has been getting heaps of spins lately
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 9:59 pm

I like it, but I'm a big Madlib fan. I got it at around 4 stars. There are a few too many skits for my taste but most of the tracks with Guilty rapping are dope.

And cosign Coroner's Music, halfy. That beat's a banger.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 8:43 am

This one was tough for me. overall, Guilty delivers a 4-4.25 star performance, but the album as a whole left a lot to be desired for me. I just didn't enjoy the interludes and intros. It throws the album off track for me. I'll say it's 3.5-3.75 overall.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 6:29 pm

i need to hear this ASAP, i heard it being described almost like a Madlib bea tape with Guilty vocals

Coroner's Music might be the song of the year so far though

Guilty is fucking dope, i didnt love him after Ode to the Ghetto but ever since ive loved everything hes dropped, especially his guest verses, and Ode to the Ghetto is still pretty good

Guilty reps Detroit hard, i need to hear this
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 8:39 pm

wow i just wrote like an essay for this album but when i went to post it i was logged out

smh, ill get back to it later
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 10:37 pm

This is the best album I've heard all year. I was a bit skeptical because of all the skits but the skits don't affect the album at all. Madlib still keeps the album going with them. I love all the tracks with Guilty. I like this one a lot more than Ode To The Ghetto because I think Guilty has gotten better and I think this album is more cohesive. And Madlib really does shine on this one just like the Strong Arm Steady album but I like this one even more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson   Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guilty Simpson - OJ Simpson
Page 1 of 1