Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revolutions Per Minute

Go down 
+8
J. Harris
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Alan
E. Taylor
parker lewis
Shaun
Jason
T. Myers
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Rating
3.0 or Below
Revolutions Per Minute Vote_lcap8%Revolutions Per Minute Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
 8% [ 1 ]
 8% [ 1 ]
 8% [ 1 ]
Revolutions Per Minute Vote_lcap15%Revolutions Per Minute Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Revolutions Per Minute Vote_lcap31%Revolutions Per Minute Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
Revolutions Per Minute Vote_lcap22%Revolutions Per Minute Vote_rcap
 22% [ 3 ]
Revolutions Per Minute Vote_lcap0%Revolutions Per Minute Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Revolutions Per Minute Vote_lcap0%Revolutions Per Minute Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage

Revolutions Per Minute Empty
PostSubject: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 10:10 pm

Know one's even talking about this one, what's up?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 10:28 pm

I really feel the chemistry between them has fell off or maybe be completly gone. Seems forced or even like they rushed just to get he product out there. There are a few stand out cuts but most of the songs are on the same damn slow soulful tempo. Off one full listen I got this at a 3.75.

Last edited by KRob86 on Mon 24 May 2010, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 10:49 pm

It's a 4-4.25 star effort. The production is on point as are Kweli's rhymes as usual.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 10:52 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
It's a 4-4.25 star effort. The production is on point as are Kweli's rhymes as usual.

Yep, it's 4.0-4.25 stars to me too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 10:54 pm

Yeah lyrically Kweli saved this album imo and i'm not saying the beats are wack or anything it's just they seemed to play it too safe or something.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 10:56 pm

Kweli isn't what he used to be as a rapper, but he still has his moments, and Hi-Tek is good, but a little inconsistent, and he doesn't mesh as well with Kweli as he used to.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 4:09 am

" i'm not saying the beats are wack or anything it's just they seemed to play it too safe or something."

Like Born & Raised?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 10:08 am

Shaun wrote:
" i'm not saying the beats are wack or anything it's just they seemed to play it too safe or something."

Like Born & Raised?

Exactly damn near except I can actually listen to this one. That Mega is only good to me for a song here and there poppin up on the ole ipod.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 5:09 pm

I thought HiTek did a nice job on this album. As a matter of fact, it seems to me that Kweli stretched himself thin trying to accommodate all the tracks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 6:40 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I thought HiTek did a nice job on this album. As a matter of fact, it seems to me that Kweli stretched himself thin trying to accommodate all the tracks.

Hmmm I could see that.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 6:47 pm

I only had the funds for one album this week so of course I got the Nas/Marley joint and I'm lovin it. So here's my question......Is "Reflections Per Minute" a must buy? I had my hopes up for it but it sounds like just an ok album from what i've heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:12 pm

I passed on this CD, I heard it twice on Napster and it was solid, but nothing essential IMO. There were some stand out tracks, but this was hitting maybe 3.5 for me personally. I only copped the Nas/Marley CD myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:22 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
I only had the funds for one album this week so of course I got the Nas/Marley joint and I'm lovin it. So here's my question......Is "Reflections Per Minute" a must buy? I had my hopes up for it but it sounds like just an ok album from what i've heard.

If you're a Kweli fan it's definitely worth copping. Personally, it's my 2nd least favorite from him only ahead of Beautiful Struggle but even that album had it's dope moments and so does this.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:36 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Yeah lyrically Kweli saved this album imo and i'm not saying the beats are wack or anything it's just they seemed to play it too safe or something.

I may have to agree with that a bit. There are some true heaters on here IMO. I tend to like Hi-Tek's minimal style as well. However, not every track was hitting.

I'm on the fence with a couple cuts. "Midnight Hour" (featuring Estelle) has some seriously annoying parts to these ears, but it's actually pretty good after a few listens IMO. "Get Loose" was pretty much wack IMO.

A couple complaints here and there, but the duo's higher points and especially Kweli's lyricism keeps this one in rotation. I've bumped it a solid 7 times or so.

4.25 stars (as of now).

I like Ear Drum a little more.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:39 pm

E. Taylor wrote:

Definitely. If you're even moderately into Kweli, I think you'd definitely get your money's worth, and then some.

If I was making a list, I'd say it's Kweli's 3rd best.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:27 pm

I like this better than Eardrum. That album had no plan, too many unrelated tracks.

That Midnight Hour song is my favorite shit on the album. I played it about 5 times in a row on the way to work the other day.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:28 pm

You like Eardrum more, but it's his third best? Hmmm......

Which classic do you shit on, Quality or Train of Thought?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:36 pm

Or he's shitting on Blackstar, but i doubt that's the case for him.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:43 pm

I could forgive not counting that as a Kweli album on technicality. I hope that's the case, otherwise he's disrespecting Quality and Train of Thought. That would be too much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 9:26 pm

Kid Joe you like this one betta than Eardrum huh? Thats crazy to me.

I don't know if i'll put this one ahead of Beautiul Struggle either. There are skip trks on it but the high points are off the scale for me especially lyrically.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 9:57 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Kid Joe you like this one betta than Eardrum huh? Thats crazy to me.

I don't know if i'll put this one ahead of Beautiul Struggle either. There are skip trks on it but the high points are off the scale for me especially lyrically.

It's not better than Eardrum to me, but i do think it's better than Beautiful Struggle
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 10:19 pm

I didn't really dig Eardrum so much. I guess i'll get at it again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 11:03 pm

Eardrum was excellent IMO, 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 1:46 pm

Look at Parker's post on page 1 of 'Recent Purchases' on Amazon. That will show that he hasn't liked Eardrum since '07
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 2:46 pm

How would you know that?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 2:47 pm

I've seen that page more than enough times to know what's on it... lol. You said something like "Eardrum seems mediocre so far, but I know better than to count it out"
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 3:01 pm

stalker fool
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 3:01 pm

I also remembered Trotter buying some socks.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 3:59 pm

"I also remembered Trotter buying some socks."

HAHA!!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 7:48 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
You like Eardrum more, but it's his third best? Hmmm......

Which classic do you shit on, Quality or Train of Thought?

Quality, of course. I'd give it 4 stars. I wouldn't say that's shitting on it.

I'd give Ear Drum 4.5 stars. I like every song on there. And being such a long album, that just makes me love it more. Not to mention it's one of the few albums I bought in the past 3 years that holds a lot of replay value for me. It also has a couple of my all time favorite Kweli tracks. Country Cousins featuring UGK would have to be #1.

Last edited by Alan on Wed 26 May 2010, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 7:49 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Or he's shitting on Blackstar, but i doubt that's the case for him.

I like Black Star the most, followed by Train Of Thought. But I don't really consider Black Star a Talib Kweli album...
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 5:34 pm

I'm late but I bought it today and I'm glad I did. I've only listened once but I wasn't disappointed at all. It's not going to finish in the top 5 of the year or anything but it's definitely a nice, solid album. 4.0-4.25
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 12:37 pm

Listened to this again and still not very thrilled about it. I still stand by my original statements. 3.75 at the most.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 2:57 pm

"Listened to this again and still not very thrilled about it. I still stand by my original statements. 3.75 at the most."

I def agree. They could have done a better job production wise. A lot of the songs put me to sleep. Seems like they went with a more soulful direction. What happened to the boom bap?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 3:10 pm

J. Harris wrote:
"Listened to this again and still not very thrilled about it. I still stand by my original statements. 3.75 at the most."

I def agree. They could have done a better job production wise. A lot of the songs put me to sleep. Seems like they went with a more soulful direction. What happened to the boom bap?

Yeah its to dang soulful at times or something. Just can't 100% put my fingaz on it. Talib really dumbed down his lyrics on some trks also.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 6:32 pm

KRob86 wrote:
J. Harris wrote:

Yeah its to dang soulful at times or something. Just can't 100% put my fingaz on it. Talib really dumbed down his lyrics on some trks also.

I wouldn't say that's true about the vast majority of the album, but he definitely dumbed down, or put out some shitty lyrics/flows on some tracks. I thought some tracks tried a little too hard to be radio friendly. It's losing replay value with me a bit as well, but I'd still give it 4 stars....which is about the same as your 3.75 when you take into account our grading curves. lol
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 7:39 pm

I would say 4 stars after 3 spins. I still give a nod to Eardrum over this and this ain't close to Train Of Thought IMO or Quality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 11:23 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I would say 4 stars after 3 spins. I still give a nod to Eardrum over this and this ain't close to Train Of Thought IMO or Quality.

Co-Sign
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

I was late with posting my thoughts on this one. Excellent album here. Not better than the first album, obviously, but it's still tight. A strong 4 stars.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm

I honestly really don't like this effort. Definitely my disappointment this year. I felt the production was REALLY weak and Talib just didn't sound that great either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 8:24 am

gametheory91 wrote:
I honestly really don't like this effort. Definitely my disappointment this year. I felt the production was REALLY weak and Talib just didn't sound that great either.

He did sound different on this one, but nothing weak IMO.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 4:46 pm

I got this one in the 3.5 - 4 range. Not great, not terrible. I prefer pretty much every Talib album but Beautiful Struggle over this one.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 7:11 pm

I just gave this another spin yesterday. I still have this at 4 stars. I am just surprised that the hype for this CD died so fast. I still say Eardrum, Train Of Thought and Quality are better than this though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 8:24 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I just gave this another spin yesterday. I still have this at 4 stars. I am just surprised that the hype for this CD died so fast. I still say Eardrum, Train Of Thought and Quality are better than this though.

The hype died because it doesn't have that standout hit track that makes you hit the playback button like those aforementioned albums do.

The only Talib album I rank lower than this is Beautiful Struggle, and even on that I'd take "I Try" and probably even "Broken Glass" over anything on RPM. Nevertheless, there's enough dopeness on here to warrant a 4 star rating.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 8:40 pm

IMO I think Strangers, In This World, Just Begun and Ballad Of The Black Gold are better than anything on Beautiful Struggle. We agree on the rating of the album atleast. I am just surprised that this CD barely comes up as far as all of the 2010 releases go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 8:42 pm

It barely comes up because there have been many better albums, and was a disappointment and either his worst or 2nd worst album.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 8:56 pm

That's fair Steve. I'll tell you what I've bought this year and you recommend something for me then.

Statik Selektah
Freeway/Jake One
Little Brother
Wu Massacre
Big Boi
Bun B
The Roots
Nas/Damian Marley
Talib/Hi Tek
Eminem
Drake
Rhymefest
Rick Ross
Inspectah Deck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 9:02 pm

Bone Thugs - Uni5
Ras - ADIDAS
KP - 3 Day Theory
Chief Kamachi - Clock of Destiny
Vinne Paz - Season of the Assassin
60 Second Assassin - Remarkable Timing
Canibus - Melatonin Majik

Probably in that order.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 9:26 pm

I am not a Bone fan at all Steve but I'll consider your recommendations other than Uni 5. I still don't have The Offering. Should I get that before I check out 3 Day Theory. Terry also recommended Vakill's "Worst Fears Confirmed" from 2006 so I will get that as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 9:32 pm

Shaking My Head

terry stole that rec from me

and DEFINITELY get the offering, go do it now before you go to bed or eat dinner Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revolutions Per Minute   Revolutions Per Minute Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revolutions Per Minute
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: