Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Southern appreciation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Southern appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 9:05 pm

I had to do this one. As many of you know, I'm an "east coast head" first and foremost. It's in me, and even when I do enter the music business, deep down, I'm still going to be that way. I have made love for the West Coast, and I've been a long time fan of the west about as long as I've been a fan of the east. I like the Midwest also, Common, Kanye West, Bone Thugs, just to name a few. Now, this thread is about the South. I've had an "up and down" relationship, if you will, with the south over the years, and I've heard all of the comments about the south contributed to the "downfall" of hip hop music, how you have to go to the south to be "hot", etc, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about, well, appreciation, lol. A few of the artists I've been a long time fan of, others I've just gotten into, but no one can deny the impact of the following artists that I'm going to highlight, and for that, I genuinely appreciate their music more now than I ever did. We shall begin things with the one and only......

Southern appreciation Scarface%20suit

I'm a long time fan of the Geto Boys, but this about the legendary Face. Well, what more can be said about this man that hasn't been said already?! One of the greatest artists of all time, one of the definitions of what a true hip hop artist should be, and his career is a testament why. I've always considered him to be the "southern version of 2Pac".

My favorite 3 albums from Scarface:
*The Fix
*Mr. Scarface Is Back
*The Diary

Southern appreciation Outkast

One of the greatest duos of all time, not just in hip hop, but in music period, and again, their career shows exactly why. It would be a sad day in hip hop if they were to break up, and when they FINALLY return and drop a new album, expect something special.

My favorite 3 albums from Outkast:
*Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
*ATLiens
*Stankonia

Southern appreciation Ugk-the-game-belongs-to-me

RIP Pimp C. Admittedly, I copped their discography late, but I always knew of UGK. Talk about one of the top 5 discographies I've played frequently this year alone. NO albums under 4 stars, another true definition of southern hip hop. Each time I listen to UGK, it makes me miss Pimp C more and more and it's nice to Bun continue to keep the legacy alive.

My favorite 3 albums from UGK:
*Ridin Dirty
*Underground Kingz
*Super Tight

Southern appreciation T.I._at_Bumbershoot

Talk about an artist who I've went back and forth over, as in whenever this guy was mentioned, I would essentially just turn my head and say "not interested". I remember a friend of mine named Eddie who tried to turn me on to T.I. back when Trap Muzik was released. I'll admit, at the time, I did like "Be Easy" when I first heard it, but everything else, not much. I couldn't stand "Rubberband Man" at one point. When I bought his entire discography in one day (with the exception of his first album), ALL of them blind buys, I became an instant fan. Great on the mic, some of his songs I can personally relate to, and then some. King Uncaged is going to be something to remember.

My favorite 3 albums from T.I.:
*Trap Muzik
*Paper Trail
*King

Southern appreciation Ludacris

Another artist whom I had the same relationship with as T.I., but a little different. Couldn't stand "Phat Rabbit". Couldn't stand "What's Your Fantasy". Then I heard "Southern Hospitality" a few times, I've been hooked since then. He was right when he said "he has a way with words", and I totally agree, as he not only has decent subject matter, but he certainly comes packed with the punchlines. Watch for Ludaversal. I feel he's going to turn some heads with that one.

My favorite 3 albums from Ludacris:
*Theater Of The Mind
*Word Of Mouf
*Back For The First Time

There you have it hiphop4life fam. Southern appreciation!!!!!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 9:08 pm

TI before Cunninlynguists? Shame on you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
TI before Cunninlynguists? Shame on you.

These are personal picks Joe, lol. It's not about who's the best, but rather southern artists who's music I appreciate more now than I ever did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:16 pm

Hell yeah TI before Cunnlyng, hell they aren't even in the same league...lol.

Well Wayne even though you showcased the most common southern emcees around I still give you mad props for the honesty. And mush respect for stepping out your comfort zone to get some south in ya mouth..lol.

Now to add to your album rankings:

Face
Mr Scarface Is Back
The Untouchable
The Fix

Outkast
ATLiens
Southernplayalistic
Aquemini

UGK (the first two constantly rotate for number one for me)
Super Tight
Ridin Dirty
Underground Kingz

T.I.
Paper Trail
Trap Muzik
T.I. vs. TIP

Luda
Word Of Mouf
Chicken & Beer
Theater Of The Mind

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

Everybody sleeps on Last of a Dying Breed.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:19 pm

No one sleeps on it, but he has 4 albums that trump it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:24 pm

I completely disagree. He has two albums that trump it, and one is not by much IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

M1dw3st3rn Rap Pr0 wrote:

Its funny you mention that because while I was typing my list it crossed my mind. Last Of is my 5th fav but it could easily be my 4th fav just that it has to fall somewhere. It may honestly be betta than The Diary but that album just holds near and dear to me so its hard for me to put Last Of over it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:30 pm

I always thought this album was excellent. 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:40 pm

It is at least 4.5 stars. It's a great album in every way IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:42 pm

T. Myers wrote:
It is at least 4.5 stars. It's a great album in every way IMO.

Indeed. I don't see how people put Mr. Scarface is back over it...or the Fix really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm

LOADB was actually a real step out the norm for Face. He has never had that many guest rappers on one album. But I feel that is one of the reasons why it stands out so much from his other albums.

Face Is back was his very 1st solo album so it just holds a special place for me. And it does not waste one fucking song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:51 pm

KRob86 wrote:
LOADB was actually a real step out the norm for Face. He ahs never had that many guest rappers on one album. But I feel that is one of the reasons why it stands out so much from his other albums.

Face Is back was his very 1st solo album so it just holds a special place for me. And it does not waste one fucking song.

I don't disagree about your first point, Kev, but sometimes I feel debuts get over-hyped, and Is Back just isn't as good as some of his other cd's.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm

Look Me In The Eyes is one of my all time favorite Face songs.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:53 pm

KRob86 wrote:
LOADB was actually a real step out the norm for Face. He ahs never had that many guest rappers on one album. But I feel that is one of the reasons why it stands out so much from his other albums.

I don't disagree about your first point, Kev, but sometimes I feel debuts get over-hyped, and Is Back just isn't as good as some of his other cd's.

Is Back is his best IMO, or at least tied with The Diary for his best, every song on that is great and i agree not one is wasted
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:53 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Look Me In The Eyes is one of my all time favorite Face songs.

Indeed. "Do you think I'm craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:54 pm

Oh yeah I agree that some overhype or maybe strong bias comes with debut albums. But I mean its almost a given to happen because debuts are usually the most hungry and honest album of said artist careers. And when they really hit the ball out the park and it strikes in the heart and mind of that fan its a wrap....lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:57 pm

Yeah fair enough. I still kinda like SSLP over MMLP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 11:28 pm

Nice thread Wayne, but Aquemini is among Outkast's best albums as well (it is their best IMO)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 11:31 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Nice thread Wayne, but Aquemini is among Outkast's best albums as well (it is their best IMO)

I've been thinking about doing this thread for quite some time. Glad I created it when I did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southern appreciation   Southern appreciation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Southern appreciation
Page 1 of 1