Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Roots - How I Got Over

Go down 
+7
Laced With Slang
Norfeest
T. Myers
Jason
Shaun
parker lewis
Alan
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

My rating is.....
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 6 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage

The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 7:07 pm

Steve wrote:
How Big Boi can not be anyone's favorite mainstream album is beyond me.

Nas/Damian, Big Boi, and The Roots are my Top 3.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 7:53 pm

Steve wrote:

How can't it be? Can't say I'm a big fan of some of the guests on the Big Boi album. I give it 4 stars. Honestly, I feel the album is heavily front-loaded with the best cuts.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

Alan wrote:
Steve wrote:

How can't it be? Can't say I'm a big fan of some of the guests on the Big Boi album. I give it 4 stars. Honestly, I feel the album is heavily front-loaded with the best cuts.

Funny, my favorite tracks are 13 and 14
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 8:29 pm

Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Steve wrote:

I'll have to revisit. There are just a number of mediocre tracks right in a row that ruins the album's flow for me...not clunkers really, but meh...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 8:32 pm

Alan wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Steve wrote:

I'll have to revisit. There are just a number of mediocre tracks right in a row that ruins the album's flow for me...not clunkers really, but meh...

Yeah the middle of the album definitely lags, but I think the ending tracks make up for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 8:37 pm

Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Steve wrote:

Yeah the middle of the album definitely lags, but I think the ending tracks make up for it.

Fo Yo Sorrows>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 8:39 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Steve wrote:

Yeah that track is nice. The only weak tracks are Be Still and Follow US imo
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010, 6:49 pm

Alright, just bumped this twice in a row. Definitely got better on the second listen; everything sounded the same the first time. Probably because I wasn't using my speakers on the first go. I like the direction they took on here. The best of the three new albums I picked up yesterday, easily. Favorite tracks are: Radio Daze, The Day, and Right On (that hook is killer). I wouldn't be ashamed to say 4.5 right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

Half wrote:
Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Half wrote:
Alan wrote:
Steve wrote:

Yeah that track is nice. The only weak tracks are Be Still and Follow US imo

I like Follow Us. I'd say the only weak ones are Be Still and Hustle Blood.

As for How I Got Over, I co-sign the toddler Shaun. HIGO is another triumphant victory for Black Thought and the gang. I wish Malik B was featured on the album, but it's great nonetheless. It's my 5th favorite Roots album (which is saying a lot being that they have 3 classics and one near classic) and easily one of the best of the year. It won't leave my Top 10. Hell, the rest of the year is gonna have to be incredible for it to leave my Top 5 even.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010, 9:39 pm

KJ (and anyone else), you are on crack for saying Web 20/20 isn't good. Damn, I love that song... lol
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010, 9:57 pm

Shaun wrote:
KJ (and anyone else), you are on crack for saying Web 20/20 isn't good. Damn, I love that song... lol
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010, 12:14 am

^ you guys just caught on, i said that after one listen, one of my fav tracks on the album

as for the Big Boi album, Be Still has grown a lot on me, Janelle Monae's voice is HYPNOTIZING, i honestly dont use the word a lot but her voice is fucking beautiful i could listen to it all damn day
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010, 12:15 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
^ you guys just caught on, i said that after one listen, one of my fav tracks on the album

as for the Big Boi album, Be Still has grown a lot on me, Janelle Monae's voice is HYPNOTIZING, i honestly dont use the word a lot but her voice is fucking beautiful i could listen to it all damn day

She looks pretty nice too
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010, 2:02 am

I just caught on because I just got it like 3 days ago... lol
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 2:08 am

This ish is straight 5 stars. Anyone saying otherwise is a hater, and they like kangaroo anus
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 10:55 am

I would have given a 4.75 but that was not an option. Super dope from start to finish, beats and lyrics. I like the fact that I can even bump this when my kids are in the car. In fact, my daughter's favorite song is The Day. My heart melts every time she sings the hook.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 10:56 am

Also Web 20/20 is bangin. Peedi is waay underrated.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 11:34 am

Not a hater...I'm a Roots fan all day. This is my least favorite from them. I find it flat out unlistenable.

I know nothing of kangaroo nuts.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 2:55 pm

this aint 5 stars, its top 5 of the year though for sure, around 4.25, but Sean gives out 5 stars as much as Wilt Chamberlain has sex so keep that in mind
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 3:00 pm

lmao. And Ras Kass is a top 5 emcee of all time. And Raekwon is a top 5 lyricist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 4:34 pm

I can't see why a Roots fan wouldn't like this.

I can objectively see this album at 5 stars, but it's not in the same class as their first 3 albums or Game Theory, so it stands at 4.5 stars for me.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 5:45 pm

Because it sounds nothing like the Roots.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 6:20 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Because it sounds nothing like the Roots.

I disagree entirely. The Roots have always been known for switching up their sound so I'm not surprised they went in this direction. Personally I love this album, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 02 Sep 2010, 6:21 pm

It indeed does sound nothing like The Roots.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 1:30 am

Anybody else excited for "Wake Up!", the collabo album with the Roots and John Legend, like I am? I have high hopes for that one, John Legend is one of my favorite soul singers these days.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 1:31 am

September 21 is the release date.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 7:50 am

Victor Shade wrote:
Anybody else excited for "Wake Up!", the collabo album with the Roots and John Legend, like I am? I have high hopes for that one, John Legend is one of my favorite soul singers these days.

I'm not excited, never really liked John Legend, or modern soul for that matter
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 12:13 pm

John Legend killed his spot on this album.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 12:15 pm

Shaun wrote:
John Legend killed his spot on this album.

Yeah he did a nice job, but I don't know if I could listen to a whole album of just him w/roots instrumentation....unless its actually the roots with him on choruses, which I can roll wit
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 12:20 pm

"unless its actually the roots with him on choruses, which I can roll wit"

That's what it sounded like
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm

5 stars coming from the new kid on the block. if i knew any of their names i would call you one now
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 12:27 pm

2009-05-06 - My join date

2010-07-28 - Your join date

I believe that qualifies you as the new kid on the block, good sir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Roots - How I Got Over
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2