Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 UGK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 7:59 pm

Thoughts on these two albums from the awesome UGK catalog. Classics or not?



Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:02 pm

The first one is 3.75-4/5

4 Life is 4.75/5 for me. One song killed it from being 5/5 for me.

4 Life was my favorite album from 2009
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:03 pm

Dirty Money gets 4 stars from me, while UGK 4 Life gets 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 42
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:09 pm

Dirty Money was the 1st UGK CD that I heard. Since that CD made me want to hear the whole UGK catalog, I'll have to say 4.25 stars atleast. UGK 4 Life, I would give 4.5 stars. I am still mad that Ain't That A Bitch from UGK & Devin was edited though, but they were able to say bitch in the chorus...lmao
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:10 pm

Highsmith wrote:
Dirty Money was the 1st UGK CD that I heard. Since that CD made me want to hear the whole UGK catalog, I'll have to say 4.25 stars atleast. UGK 4 Life, I would give 4.5 stars. I am still mad that Ain't That A Bitch from UGK & Devin was edited though, but they were able to say bitch in the chorus...lmao

I cosign on the chorus thing, lol. Choppin Blades from Dirty Money and Used To Be on UGK 4 Life are two of my most played songs on both albums.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 42
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:15 pm

I'll probably say Look At Me from Dirty Money & The Pimp & The Bun from UGK 4 Life. I had to buy the original Isleys song, Here We Go Again, on Itunes after I heard the Pimp & The Bun multiple times. Choppin' Blades would be 1a or #2 for me though on Dirty Money.


Last edited by Highsmith on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm

Isley Brothers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My favorite from DM is Choppin Blades

Favorite from 4 Life is She Luv It
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:19 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I'll probably say Look At Me from Dirty Money & The Pimp & The Bun from UGK 4 Life. I had to buy the original Isleys song, Here We Go Again, on Itunes after I heard the Pimp & The Bun multiple times. Choppin' Blades would be 1a or #2 for me though on Dirty Money.

Every time I play Choppin Blades in the van, I have to play it @ least 2 or 3 times.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 42
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:28 pm

The 1st 4 songs on Dirty Money...Let Me See It, Choppin' Blades, Look At Me & Ain't That A Bitch get an instant rewind every time I play Dirty Money. That's what made me check out the rest of the catalog. Woodwheel was the 1st song I heard from them after A Pocket Full Of Stones, so I had a lot of catching up to do.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:29 pm

Highsmith wrote:
The 1st 4 songs on Dirty Money...Let Me See It, Choppin' Blades, Look At Me & Ain't That A Bitch get an instant rewind every time I play Dirty Money. That's what made me check out the rest of the catalog. Woodwheel was the 1st song I heard from them after A Pocket Full Of Stones, so I had a lot of catching up to do.

UGK has one of my favorite discographies.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:31 pm

Yes sir that Linker sho has taste!

She Luv It>>>>>>>>>>>

Dirty Money was not that great to me but its a solid one. I think what killed me from going head over heels for it was the long hiatus between it and their last album. This album had seen more release dates than the county jail. 3.75.

4Life was a top 5 album of 2009 to me. That one is a 4.5 easily and could be higher if not for Hairy Asshole.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:33 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Yes sir that Linker sho has taste!

She Luv It>>>>>>>>>>>

Dirty Money was not that great to me but its a solid one. I think what killed me from going head over heels for it was the long hiatus between it and their last album. This album had seen more release dates than the county jail. 3.75.

4Life was a top 5 album of 2009 to me. That one is a 4.5 easily and could be higher if not for Hairy Asshole.

4Life was in my top 5 of 2009 also.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:34 pm

Dirty Money was weak to me, but 4Life was a banger, my 3rd favorite UGK album.

I agree with what K. Rob said. Harry Asshole and Hard As Hell are the only weak tracks on that album, everything else is dope.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:37 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Dirty Money was weak to me, but 4Life was a banger, my 3rd favorite UGK album.

I agree with what K. Rob said. Harry Asshole and Hard As Hell are the only weak tracks on that album, everything else is dope.

My 3rd favorite UGK album would have to be Super Tight.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:37 pm

4 Life was my #2 album last year, and She Luv It is my favorite track from the album. I got it at 4.75 stars. That damn Akon hook ruins that track.

Dirty Money is around 4-4.25 stars. Let Me See It is the best track on the album IMO.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 42
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:38 pm

Hard As Hell is awful. Thanks 4 nothin' Akon......lol
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:41 pm

Have y'all heard the original She Luv It? Same verse lyrics, different beat and has somewhat different vocals in the hook.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:41 pm

Highsmith wrote:
Thanks 4 nothin' Akon......lol

Lol.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:42 pm

And also, I really don't mind Harry Asshole. Hard As Hell is the real stinker, IMO. The album had the smoothest vibe and once that song came on the vibe just fucked it up for a minute. smh. IMO, that song should have been on a Bun B solo or something. Just didn't fit 4 Life


Last edited by Justin Linker on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:42 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
And also, I really don't mind Harry Asshole. Hard As Hell is the real stinker, IMO. The album had the smoothest vibe and once that song came on the vibe just fucked up for a minute. smh. IMO, that song should have been on a Bun B solo or something. Just didn't fit 4 Life IMO

Cosign, especially regarding interrupting the vibe.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:47 pm

Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Dirty Money was weak to me, but 4Life was a banger, my 3rd favorite UGK album.

I agree with what K. Rob said. Harry Asshole and Hard As Hell are the only weak tracks on that album, everything else is dope.

My 3rd favorite UGK album would have to be Super Tight.

Super Tight is my 2nd favorite personally.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:48 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Dirty Money was weak to me, but 4Life was a banger, my 3rd favorite UGK album.

I agree with what K. Rob said. Harry Asshole and Hard As Hell are the only weak tracks on that album, everything else is dope.

My 3rd favorite UGK album would have to be Super Tight.

Super Tight is my 2nd favorite personally.

My 2nd favorite is Underground Kingz. It was number one, but Ridin Dirty took that spot.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:51 pm

Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Dirty Money was weak to me, but 4Life was a banger, my 3rd favorite UGK album.

I agree with what K. Rob said. Harry Asshole and Hard As Hell are the only weak tracks on that album, everything else is dope.

My 3rd favorite UGK album would have to be Super Tight.

Super Tight is my 2nd favorite personally.

My 2nd favorite is Underground Kingz. It was number one, but Ridin Dirty took that spot.

Ridin Dirty is my fav from them as well.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:53 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Dirty Money was weak to me, but 4Life was a banger, my 3rd favorite UGK album.

I agree with what K. Rob said. Harry Asshole and Hard As Hell are the only weak tracks on that album, everything else is dope.

My 3rd favorite UGK album would have to be Super Tight.

Super Tight is my 2nd favorite personally.

My 2nd favorite is Underground Kingz. It was number one, but Ridin Dirty took that spot.

Ridin Dirty is my fav from them as well.

Yep, true 5 star classic.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 8:55 pm

Ridin Dirty is also my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 9:17 pm

Supertight and Ridin Dirty are virtually interchangable to me, but i spin Ridin Dirty a tad bit more. Murder is an addictive ass song

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 9:30 pm

Murder >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 10:19 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Murder is an addictive ass song

Cosign.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 10:23 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
Murder >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hell Yeah, that's easily my fav UGK song.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 42
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Thu 15 Jul 2010, 10:27 pm

#1........Ridin' Dirty...smash after smash on that one..once again I had to hit Itunes for The Isley Brothers sample for One Day...Ain't I Been Good To You
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 2:21 pm

Has anyone ever bumped 3 In The Morning @ 3 in the morning?
Back to top Go down
booerns
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 2:33 pm

I love UGK but 4 life is overrated and probably there worst album. It has the least content lyrically with more generic beats. I can go more into it if you want, but 4 life was an unfinished album (reasonably so) and a step back for UGK
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 2:33 pm

SMH BANNED
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 2:38 pm

booerns wrote:
I love UGK but 4 life is overrated and probably there worst album. It has the least content lyrically with more generic beats. I can go more into it if you want, but 4 life was an unfinished album (reasonably so) and a step back for UGK

What's your rating for UGK 4 Life?
Back to top Go down
booerns
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 4:27 pm

Wayne wrote:
booerns wrote:
I love UGK but 4 life is overrated and probably there worst album. It has the least content lyrically with more generic beats. I can go more into it if you want, but 4 life was an unfinished album (reasonably so) and a step back for UGK

What's your rating for UGK 4 Life?

Probably like a 3.0. Although a 3 for me is higher than what it generally is here. I think 4s and 5s are given out way to much. I think of 2.5 as average, so 4 life is definitely better than an average cd, but it is disappointing coming from UGK. The cd just seems shallow and I think has less replay value then there other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 4:41 pm

booerns wrote:
Wayne wrote:
booerns wrote:
I love UGK but 4 life is overrated and probably there worst album. It has the least content lyrically with more generic beats. I can go more into it if you want, but 4 life was an unfinished album (reasonably so) and a step back for UGK

What's your rating for UGK 4 Life?

Probably like a 3.0. Although a 3 for me is higher than what it generally is here. I think 4s and 5s are given out way to much. I think of 2.5 as average, so 4 life is definitely better than an average cd, but it is disappointing coming from UGK. The cd just seems shallow and I think has less replay value then there other stuff.

Wow, I disagree with that entirely. UGK 4 Life is an excellent album IMO.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 5:47 pm

booerns wrote:
Wayne wrote:
booerns wrote:
I love UGK but 4 life is overrated and probably there worst album. It has the least content lyrically with more generic beats. I can go more into it if you want, but 4 life was an unfinished album (reasonably so) and a step back for UGK

What's your rating for UGK 4 Life?

Probably like a 3.0. Although a 3 for me is higher than what it generally is here. I think 4s and 5s are given out way to much. I think of 2.5 as average, so 4 life is definitely better than an average cd, but it is disappointing coming from UGK. The cd just seems shallow and I think has less replay value then there other stuff.

Shallow, not really, but I respect your views though. I feel it's excellent also like KJ said.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 6:14 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I'll probably say Look At Me from Dirty Money & The Pimp & The Bun from UGK 4 Life. I had to buy the original Isleys song, Here We Go Again, on Itunes after I heard the Pimp & The Bun multiple times. Choppin' Blades would be 1a or #2 for me though on Dirty Money.

Cosign.

The Pimp & The Bun is my favorite song on both albums.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Fri 16 Jul 2010, 6:15 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
SMH BANNED

LOL...cosign. 4 Life is an easy 4.25-4.5 stars IMO
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3500
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 36
Location : Bankhead SHAWTY and we'll take yo COOKIE!

PostSubject: Re: UGK   Sat 17 Jul 2010, 9:31 pm

Dirty Money was 4 stars for me. The problem is they cut some tracks due to the leak that would've made it flow better. I wish I could find a copy of the promo version. The Promo version that I heard was more in tune with previous works. The back end of the album felt tacked on so we wouldn't notice the absence but it only made it more glaring for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: UGK   

Back to top Go down
 
UGK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: