Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

C.L. vs Guru

Go down 
+4
Half
T. Myers
Dwight
booerns
8 posters
AuthorMessage
booerns
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
booerns

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 12:52 am

I got in an arguement with a friend today about who was the better rapper between C.L. Smooth and Guru and I was saying it was C.L. by a mile but he thought Guru. I think gangstarr is one of the greatest groups ever, but just Guru as a rapper to me didn't have much more tan the voice. Or at least did not have the delivery and lyrics that C.L. had. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 1:34 am

I think producers choose rather bland but consistent mc's with little to no outstanding qualities that would make them stand out as a solo artist. See:

Guru
CL Smooth
Mr. Eon
Slug
Geologic
Will Smith
Nabo Rawk

if anybody tries to use Rakim as an example of this...your card will be pulled.

In regards to the question, I think this is splitting hairs, but CL is probably the better pure mc while Guru is obviously more favored due to consistency (of both him and Gang Starr).
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 3:29 pm

I prefer Guru, but I think CL is the better rapper technically.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 4:06 pm

Dwight wrote:

Exactly.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 4:42 pm

Dwight wrote:

Cosign also. Even though I have been listening to more CL lately and really seeing how much I underrated him.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 5:19 pm

I gotta go CL Smooth on this one. While I like Guru, CL is easily the better MC and may have had more classics had he and Pete stayed together. I don't think CL was carried by Pete as much as Guru was carried by Premo.
Back to top Go down
booerns
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
booerns

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:20 pm

Agreed with all of the above. Appreciate the input. It was hard for me to argue cause i kept saying how dope gangstarr and he didnt understand then how I could say C.L. was better.
But have you guys istened to the jazzmataz albums? They have some good stuff but get boring by the end. It is hard to listen to it straight through. As much as I love jazz, Guru just to me cannot carry an album. He needed Premo to make the album work.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:35 pm

lyrically, i think CL's got him, but i prefer Guru. I think his voice, flow, and delivery are a lot easier on the ears.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:44 pm

this is a stupid question.. guru is the superior emcee which is why he actually had a career in the rap game.. CL was a one hit wonder.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:46 pm

Gotta go with Guru on this one.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:52 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
this is a stupid question.. guru is the superior emcee which is why he actually had a career in the rap game.. CL was a one hit wonder.

Mecca and the Soul Brother was CL's best album but All Souled Out and The Main Ingredient were also critically acclaimed. And Guru had a stellar career in the rap game because of Premo.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:56 pm

I think CL got worse with each release. He was at his best on All Souled Out IMO.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:57 pm

CL is the definition of a one hit wonder...
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 9:58 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think CL got worse with each release. He was at his best on All Souled Out IMO.

I disagree entirely. Mecca & The Soul Brother was easily his best performance IMO. All Souled Out and The Main Ingredient were dope as well.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Dude, your east coast rap knowledge is terrible. You know NOTHING about it whatsoever, stupid fuck.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I disagree entirely. Mecca & The Soul Brother was easily his best performance IMO. All Souled Out and The Main Ingredient were dope as well.

As a complete piece of art, M&TSB is easily better, but Pete Rock was on a completely different level on that joint. lyrically, CL was spitting better on the EP IMO.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:28 pm

I'll give Guru the nod, but CL is better on paper.

CL without Pete Rock = failure

Guru without Premier = decent
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:

American Me was a dope album IMO.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:39 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Dude, your east coast rap knowledge is terrible. You know NOTHING about it whatsoever, stupid fuck.

The only thing CL Smooth is known for is TROY. He has other albums, but so does Young MC and Vanilla Ice. He's a one hit wonder, just an underground one-hit wonder, but still a one-hit wonder.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:44 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

The only thing CL Smooth is known for is TROY. He has other albums, but so does Young MC and Vanilla Ice. He's a one hit wonder, just an underground one-hit wonder, but still a one-hit wonder.

That's bullshit, you just don't listen to him like that so you don't know about him. His other songs (which is what TROY is) are critically acclaimed as well. TROY is just his biggest hit.
Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:45 pm

Young MC has other songs... so does Vanilla ice... and a few people like those songs... but all he is known for among the general regular hip-hop fans is TROY.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:46 pm

Vanilla Ice had Ninja Rap. quit acting like that song ain't dope.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jul 2010, 9:23 pm

NINJA RAP!!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!

Now that I've stopped laughing, CL was the better lyricist, but Guru had a more captivating presence.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 6:04 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:

Are you high?

You got that backwards. American Me is still a 5 star record. Or at least 4.5. I bump that shit all the time.

CL gets the win for me.

And to respond to Nero's claim, Will Smith was a dope rapper....even if I have little to no desire to hear him on the mic again (the little desire would be if he ever collaborated with DJ Jazzy Jeff again).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 6:10 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Young MC has other songs... so does Vanilla ice... and a few people like those songs... but all he is known for among the general regular hip-hop fans is TROY.

Not true...these all had decent numbers on the charts.

They Reminisce Over You [T.R.O.Y.]
Straighten It Out
Lots of Lovin
I Got a Love
Take You There

In addition, "One Hit Wonder" is usually a term reserved for either forgotten artists, or those who lack relevance or respect in the hip-hop community. CL had a run, and is still active. And widely respected by many hip-hop heads.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jul 2010, 2:06 am

CL definitely wasn't a one hit wonder. I may prefer Guru but CL's track record speaks for itself. Mecca & The Soul Brother & The Main Ingredient are staples in the hip hop community. If you have 2 bangin' group albums and an EP (I haven't heard any solo CL work) obviously you weren't a one hit wonder.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010, 2:14 am

Guru got that voice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

C.L. vs Guru Empty
PostSubject: Re: C.L. vs Guru   C.L. vs Guru Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

C.L. vs Guru
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: