Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

Go down 
+3
ACRID"
Alan
T. Myers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Empty
PostSubject: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 8:45 am

so i picked up I Wish My Brother George was Here, and I'm really digging it. How do the rest of his albums rate?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:15 am

5 stars all the way! Cheers

Seriously one of my favorite albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:20 am

Alan wrote:

that's great. LOL! Now, would you like to offer opinions on the rest of his albums for me?
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:21 am

Both sides of the brain- 4 out of 5

Fun album that you would expect from Del!-has a sorta Deltron vibe to it...worthy pickup...

speaking of Del, he's offering a free download of new material on his myspace page....
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:27 am

Deltron 3030- 5 outta 5

On some real smoke out shit with this one-has a very cinematic feel to it-you could close your eyes and picture all the bizarre shit he raps about on it..if you dont have it-pick it up
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:29 am

T. Myers wrote:
Alan wrote:

that's great. LOL! Now, would you like to offer opinions on the rest of his albums for me?

Oh, I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking for the "rest" of the forums opinions. lol

* I Wish My Brother George Was Here (1991) <--- 5 stars
* No Need for Alarm (1993) <--- 3.75 stars
* Future Development (1998) <--- 4 stars
* Both Sides of the Brain (2000) <--- 4 stars
* Deltron 3030 (2000) <--- 5 stars
* Eleventh Hour (2008) <--- 2.5 stars
* Funk Man (The Stimulus Package) (2009) <--- 3.75 stars
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:32 am

I was just checking out the prices for Deltron 3030, and the re-released 2008 version has a few bonus tracks. It is a few dollarsa more than the original. Is it worth the extra money. Is it remastered?
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:34 am

T. Myers wrote:
I was just checking out the prices for Deltron 3030, and the re-released 2008 version has a few bonus tracks. It is a few dollarsa more than the original. Is it worth the extra money. Is it remastered?

didnt even know he rereleased it as early as last year? Depends on the price...I'll never pay over 20 for a single CD, ever, but if its reasonably priced, whythefunknot? bonus tracks sound nice with that album....
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:40 am

Both Sides Of The Brain is 4.875 stars <<< One of the best lyrical albums of all-time
Deltron 3030 is 4.9375 stars
No Need For Alarm is 4.75 stars

Pretty consistent I'd say. He's pretty close to the top of my fav MC list.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:41 am

T. Myers wrote:

I ended up buying it because the OOP prices for the O.G. were ridiculous. Funny enough I had it on vinyl and cassette before I even got the CD...lol. It is not remastered to my knowledge, but I'm not 100% sure. 100% essential album though!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:41 am

Cise Starr wrote:
Both Sides Of The Brain is 4.875 stars <<< One of the best lyrical albums of all-time
No Need For Alarm is 4.75 stars

Pretty consistent I'd say. He's pretty close to the top of my fav MC list.

Those are some odd rankings, but thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:42 am

Cise Starr wrote:

LOL!!! You crack me up with these ratings sometimes, Cise. lol
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:45 am

Alan wrote:
Cise Starr wrote:

LOL!!! You crack me up with these ratings sometimes, Cise. lol
I'm being dead serious too lol.

Here's my reasoning. The album was clearly better than 4.75 stars, better than 4.875 stars (taking the average of 4.75 and 5), but not quite 5 stars. I took the average of 4.875 and 5. I use quite a bit of math in my rankings lol.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:46 am

T. Myers wrote:

Those are some odd rankings, but thanks for the help.

No prob man.
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 9:47 am

what got me on to Del was his lyricism, no doubt
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 10:36 am

No Need for Alarm 5/5 - may be my favorite from Del
Deltron 3030 5/5
Future Development 4/5
Both Sides of the Brain 4/5

check those before the Eleventh Hour and Funkman...Elventh Hour is like 3/5, and i havent give FunkMan a full listen yet really so im not rating it yet
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 2:46 pm

I Wish My Brother George Was here - 5 Stars
No Need for alarm - 4 stars (He mainly talks about sucka mcs over jazzy production on this one)
Future Development - 4 - 4.5 stars
Both sides of the brain - 4.5 stars (displays his lyrical talent throughout this album)
Deltron 3030 - 5 Stars (classic concept album)

Last edited by Xcel on Sun 14 Jun 2009, 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 1:20 am

Just got done with Future Development and I'd give it 5 stars. I like it much more than Deltron 3030. This album is very good. Funky, jazzy goodness.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 2:42 pm

I Wish My Brother George Was Here (4.625 stars)

Pretty solid album.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 2:51 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
I Wish My Brother George Was Here (4.625 stars)

Pretty solid album.

Is that your first listen to it? So you give this one 4.625 and Future Development 5? Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 2:59 pm

Alan wrote:

Is that your first listen to it? So you give this one 4.625 and Future Development 5? Shaking My Head

No I got it a few years ago.

Yes I just gave it a 4.625 and Further Development 5. My ratings will go against all reasoning and logic. It doesn't bother me though...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 3:24 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Alan wrote:

No I got it a few years ago.

Yes I just gave it a 4.625 and Further Development 5. My ratings will go against all reasoning and logic. It doesn't bother me though...

LOL - didn't mean to sound like a dick. I was just curious. Future Development is highly underrated and has some of his best work IMO.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 3:34 pm

Alan wrote:

LOL - didn't mean to sound like a dick. I was just curious. Future Development is highly underrated and has some of his best work IMO.

Its all gravy man. I'm happy you like the album as well.

Future Development's jazzy, laid-back atmosphere appeals to me over all his other albums. Songs like Why Ya Wanna Get Funky, Games Begin, Corner Store, Stress The World, and Town To Town are proof of this. This album isn't his most well-known work by any means but his best IMO.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 3:42 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Alan wrote:

Its all gravy man. I'm happy you like the album as well.

Future Development's jazzy, laid-back atmosphere appeals to me over all his other albums. Songs like Why Ya Wanna Get Funky, Games Begin, Corner Store, Stress The World, and Town To Town are proof of this. This album isn't his most well-known work by any means but his best IMO.

I think people just don't know about it. The album was originally ONLY released on cassette (the version I have), then was later reissued on CD for a very short run. He got booted from Elektra right before it's release, so there was probably money issues over it. Those are dope songs. My favorites are off his debut. IMO you can't beat Pissin' On Your Steps, Dr. Bombay, The Wacky World of rapid Transit, Mistadobalina or Sleepin' On My Couch. I here you on the jazzy thing though. His debut is supposed to have a more playful feel with Ice Cube's funk-laced production.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 3:51 pm

Alan wrote:

I think people just don't know about it. The album was originally ONLY released on cassette (the version I have), then was later reissued on CD for a very short run. He got booted from Elektra right before it's release, so there was probably money issues over it. Those are dope songs. My favorites are off his debut. IMO you can't beat Pissin' On Your Steps, Dr. Bombay, The Wacky World of rapid Transit, Mistadobalina or Sleepin' On My Couch. I here you on the jazzy thing though. His debut is supposed to have a more playful feel with Ice Cube's funk-laced production.

I get the feeling that it is a relatively rare album. I have never heard anyone talk about it before. Would you say it is a rare album?

All those songs you listed are 5 star songs. The reason I rated the album lower was because Dark Skin Girls, Hoodz Come In Dozens, Same Ol' Thing, and the Prelude were 4 star songs and below (with Prelude being 3 stars).

The way I rate albums takes into account the amount of 5 star (as well as 4 star) songs an album has and penalizes an album for 2 star and lower songs. Its not really complicated but it quite tedious.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 4:05 pm

Terry, get anything from Del EXCEPT for "Eleventh Hour". Album was straight earwax!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 4:06 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Alan wrote:

I get the feeling that it is a relatively rare album. I have never heard anyone talk about it before. Would you say it is a rare album?

All those songs you listed are 5 star songs. The reason I rated the album lower was because Dark Skin Girls, Hoodz Come In Dozens, Same Ol' Thing, and the Prelude were 4 star songs and below (with Prelude being 3 stars).

The way I rate albums takes into account the amount of 5 star (as well as 4 star) songs an album has and penalizes an album for 2 star and lower songs. Its not really complicated but it quite tedious.

It's definitely a rare album. Especially on CD and vinyl. The cassette is a little easier to find because there were more of those produced...which is why I picked up mine for $6 when I found it. lol

No 5-star love for "Dark Skin Girls"? That's one of my favorites for sure. I guess I could see the others at 4 stars, though they flow perfectly with the album IMO. But are you really docking points for the interlude with "Prelude"? It's like 18 seconds of noise....why would that one be worth the same amount of points as a stellar cut like "Pissin' On Your Steps"? And it leads into the best cut on the album IMO. lol

I'm not trying to tell you about how you rate albums...just my thoughts. Another thought would be that those initial tracks I listed (plus some) are more classic than any single song off of "Future Development". In that case, I also give it more points because the debut is a major face-melter IMO. But in the end it is all personal preference...so no big deal really.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 5:57 pm

It sure was a great debut. Yeah its no big deal.

I just wanted to explain the method behind my madness of rating albums so people don't think I'm making up arbitratry numbers lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien   Del Tha Funkee Homosapien Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: