Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bun B - Trill OG

Go down 
+2
Highsmith
Laced With Slang
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeTue 03 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

Bun B - Trill OG Trill_OG

Well, allow me the opportunity to do my first review on the forum for Bun B's new album, Trill OG! Wow, all I can say is that I'm FULLY satisfied with this purchase. Over top notch production and the continued dope lyrics, Bun sounds better than ever, no doubt about it. This album is FULL of back to back bangers. Beginning the album, "Chuuch!" is simply a great way to begin this album (Produced by Steve Below). "Trillionaire" featuring T-Pain is tight (Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League), and T-Pain does not mess up the flow on this album whatsoever. "Just Like That" featuring Young Jeezy is another banger (Produced by Christopher "Drumma Boy" Gholson), and although I'm no Jeezy fan, his presence does not mess up this song whatsoever. Also, I'm going to continue to keep an eye on Drumma Boy. This guy has made some tight beats, and this Just Like That track is another one of them. The two Drake features, "Put It Down" and "It's Been A Pleasure", both produced by Boi-1DA respectively, are great songs, and Drake is not bad on either of them. "Right Now" featuring Pimp C, 2Pac, and Trey Songz (Produced by Steve Below, another producer to watch for) is ok, nothing remarkable but nothing bad either. "Countin Money" featuring Yo Gotti and Gucci Mane is another banger (Produced by DJ B-Do). Yo Gotti and Gucci Mane, again, do not take away from this song. I'm not a fan of either of them, but I'm keeping it real with this one. "Speakeasy" featuring Twista (Produced by Big E) is good, nothing memorable. Now, what follows is THREE STRAIGHT BANGERS, each produced by Steve Below, "Lights, Camera, Action", "I Git Down 4 Mine", and "Snow Money". Bare witness to Bun rip the mic with a taste of aggression, finesse, and some good ol Southern lyricism. "Ridin Slow" featuring Slim Thug and Play-N-Skillz, who also produced the song, is a smooth track. The legendary DJ Premier stops by with his signature sound on the awesome "Let Em Know". I want another Bun/Premo collabo after this one! "All A Dream" featuring LeToya (Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, although it interpolates the classic Notorious BIG song "Juicy", works to great results.

For those who plan to get the Deluxe Edition from Best Buy, 3 of the 4 bonus tracks, which 2 of them are produced by Steve Below, are good to great songs, with the stand out here being "Gladiator", featuring Truck Buck. "Real Live" featuring The Gator Main & GLC (Produced by Sound M.O.B.) and "Git In" featuring Big Capp & Young Money Moe are good songs. The guest appearances by these new names work to a certain degree, but they're nothing memorable. "Sext Me" could've been left off, and the title of this track should tell you what the song is about, and one of the 5 women (who's names are Just Brittany, Candi Redd, Surreal, Troublesum, and RawLT) sounds like a blatant rip off, if you will, of Nicki Minaj, and I believe the woman in question is Candi Redd.

Also, the accompanying DVD is basically Bun talking about the album and the inspiration behind the tracks. AND, my boy Nas was at a listening session for the "Trillionaire" track!

Overall, this is one slammin album, from beginning to end. It's world's better than "II Trill", even though that's a great album in its own right. It certainly does give "Trill" a run for it's money. Bun is still fierce on the mic and the production on this album is outstanding, possibly the best produced album out right now. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to anyone who is on the fence about buying this one. 4.5 stars.

Last edited by Wayne on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 12:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeTue 03 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

im on the fence
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeTue 03 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
im on the fence

Wow, lol.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeTue 03 Aug 2010, 8:51 pm

i also havent read your review yet just the last line
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeTue 03 Aug 2010, 8:52 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
i also havent read your review yet just the last line

Ok. Got you.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:06 am

I bought the Cd and I am still on the fence based on what I have heard so far.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:07 am

Highsmith wrote:
I bought the Cd and I am still on the fence based on what I have heard so far.

How much have you played so far?
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:23 am

I actually really liked the lyrics on Right Now. And the guest appearances definitely don't talke away, the Jeezy & Gucci songs are really dope. Love the story on Lights,Camera,Action, its cool to hear about his day when he's gonna perform, and of course the Primo track has great production. This is fighting with Stimulus Package for the top spot.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:28 am

Esco wrote:
I actually really liked the lyrics on Right Now. And the guest appearances definitely don't talke away, the Jeezy & Gucci songs are really dope. Love the story on Lights,Camera,Action, its cool to hear about his day when he's gonna perform, and of course the Primo track has great production. This is fighting with Stimulus Package for the top spot.

What's your rating for it Esco?
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:31 am

I have heard the 1st 10 tracks so far Wayne. The production is good but Bun is basically talking about nothing IMO. Obviously I am going to finish listening and give this more spins, but so far not so good.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 8:22 am

Highsmith wrote:
I have heard the 1st 10 tracks so far Wayne. The production is good but Bun is basically talking about nothing IMO. Obviously I am going to finish listening and give this more spins, but so far not so good.

I can respect that.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:15 am

Well I have listened to it once and I like it. May a little premature but I think its betta than any of his solo albums. This one seems more grown man and the beats have a nice flow to them trk to trk. I will be buying this one. Off only one listen i'll give it a 3.75 easily.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:21 am

smh, this ain't got nothing on Trill. I got it at 4 stars after two spins. Trillionaire, Just like That, Put It Down don't do anything for me at all really.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:23 am

well kev is a bun b hater so that explains his low rating... I think trill will remain my fav. from him, but this one ain't far off. I liked all songs except the 2pac one and one of the bonus songs.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:33 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
well kev is a bun b hater so that explains his low rating... I think trill will remain my fav. from him, but this one ain't far off. I liked all songs except the 2pac one and one of the bonus songs.

I'm assuming Sext Me is the bonus track you don't like right, lol?
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:34 am

T. Myers wrote:
smh, this ain't got nothing on Trill. I got it at 4 stars after two spins. Trillionaire, Just like That, Put It Down don't do anything for me at all really.

Revisit "Put It Down" Terry. It's a banger.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:35 am

KRob86 wrote:
This one seems more grown man and the beats have a nice flow to them trk to trk.

Cosign.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

Wayne wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Revisit for what? It's not like i haven't heard it in awhile. I listened to it like 30 minutes ago. You really think i'll change my opinion in 30 minutes, lol?
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:39 am

T. Myers wrote:
Wayne wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Revisit for what? It's not like i haven't heard it in awhile. I listened to it like 30 minutes ago. You really think i'll change my opinion in 30 minutes, lol?

Maybe not in 30 minutes, lol, but somewhere down the line probably, lol.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:04 am

On a side note, did anyone else notice any audio problems during It's Been a Pleasure around the 3:57 mark, 4:32, 4:56, and 5:33. It sounds like it skips a little each time. I wonder if it's an issue for everyone or if i got a defective cd. I don't have an issue with any other song.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

T. Myers wrote:
On a side note, did anyone else notice any audio problems during It's Been a Pleasure around the 3:57 mark, 4:32, 4:56, and 5:33. It sounds like it skips a little each time. I wonder if it's an issue for everyone or if i got a defective cd. I don't have an issue with any other song.

I had a similar issue, only around the Lights, Camera, Action song.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:09 am

smh, that's lame. It's not a horrible issue, but it annoys me
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:23 am

Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:30 am

T. Myers wrote:
The Source awarded Trill O.G. 5 Mics.

http://www.thesource.com/articles/23138/The-Source-Crowns-Bun-B%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9CTrill-OG%E2%80%9D-a-Hip-Hop-Classic

Shaking My Head good album? sure. best album of the last 5 years. uhh, no.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:37 am

I listened up to Gladiator, which is one of the best tracks by the way and there is definitely some hit and miss for me so far. Trillionaire, Right Now, Put It Down, Lights, Camera, Action (Don't think I'll put a Bun picture on Facebook) and Just Like That are a little Ehh to me. I respect the fact that he wanted to put Pimp & Pac on the same track but it sounds like a left over strip club track from a Pimp C album. I am going with 3.5 after 1 spin.
These Bun solos are sounding like one looooong CD altogether IMO

Last edited by Highsmith on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:38 am

I won't even respond to the 5 mics rating for this album.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:38 am

Just goes to show that KJ and Wayne write for the Source.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 11:58 am

congrats to bun b, he deserves the honor
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm

I stopped paying attention to the Source a long time ago. It's a good album but not 5 mics. Hopefully, this isn't a classic case of folks buying mics or buying XXL ratings. ..Just my opinion
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I stopped paying attention to the Source a long time ago. It's a good album but not 5 mics. Hopefully, this isn't a classic case of folks buying mics or buying XXL ratings. ..Just my opinion

That doesn't seem like an option for J. Prince or Bun B. It seems like he's being rewarded for his overall body of work which is lame IMO.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:24 pm

If it was Ridin' Dirty or something like that, I feel you Terry and I am basing my opinion on one listen. I gave Trill a 4.5 and 2Trill a 4. After 1 listen, I don't think Trill OG is better than either of those. So when I see a 5 mic rating, I'm gonna say something. I agree with your assessment of him being rewarded for his whole body of work. That's something he should have got as 1/2 of UGK not for one of his solos
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:27 pm

Yeah RAL never buys shit.. and it is a 4 star album at the very least, possibly much higher.. definitely a modern day classic, like many such albums from the south.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:31 pm

Highsmith wrote:
If it was Ridin' Dirty or something like that, I feel you Terry and I am basing my opinion on one listen. I gave Trill a 4.5 and 2Trill a 4. After 1 listen, I don't think Trill OG is better than either of those. So when I see a 5 mic rating, I'm gonna say something. I agree with your assessment of him being rewarded for his whole body of work. That's something he should have got as 1/2 of UGK not for one of his solos

I agree the album isn't deserving of 5 stars after few spins.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:44 pm

5 stars really? The Source is a lame btich for that one. That alone should get their business license revoked. And did they really say best album in the last 5yrs? I know that can't be true.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:46 pm

Don't hate because willie damn d didn't get 5 stars kevin.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

KRob86 wrote:
5 stars really? The Source is a lame btich for that one. That alone should get their business license revoked. And did they really say best album in the last 5yrs? I know that can't be true.

No they didn't say it, but it's the first album to get 5 mic in the last 5 years.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Don't hate because willie damn d didn't get 5 stars kevin.

LOL...

Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:55 pm

Wow, they gave it 5 mics? That's a surprise. Not a bad surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:55 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

No they didn't say it, but it's the first album to get 5 mic in the last 5 years.

Oh okay. But they are basically saying it without saying it. What was the last 5 star album according to them? Was it Lil Kim Naked Truth?
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:56 pm

Wayne wrote:
Wow, they gave it 5 mics? That's a surprise. Not a bad surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

Wanye come man thats a very bad surprise.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm

Don't be a bitch ass hater kev... we all know you are not fan of Bun B solos so of course you are going to hate.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 1:00 pm

I don't agree with the 5 star rating either, respectively.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 2:54 pm

Nah this ain't a 5 star album. The most I can see for it is 4.

When I saw Wayne's review for it yesterday, I thought that I should check it out because I agree with a lot of his opinions, so I did and I feel that this album is nowhere near classic IMO. It's not even as good as his other two solos.

Last edited by Eastern Rap Pro on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 2:56 pm

Your entitled to your own opinion KJ, but the source has spoken and the consensus is now that this is classic.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 2:59 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Your entitled to your own opinion KJ, but the source has spoken and the consensus is now that this is classic.

That's only the Source's opinion, not the consensus of Hip-Hop Nation. Remember, they also gave The Naked Truth 5 Mics.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 3:00 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

That's only the Source's opinion, not the consensus of Hip-Hop Nation. Remember, they also gave The Naked Truth 5 Mics.

Which you agreed with?
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 3:01 pm

You have quoted The Source before KJ as proof of consensus classic status. I am merely doing the same.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 3:08 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
You have quoted The Source before KJ as proof of consensus classic status. I am merely doing the same.

I have, but the difference between those instances and this one is that The Source weren't the only peeps co-signing the albums I mentioned.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 3:11 pm

You provided no proof KJ. You just named random other magazines, and you have cited the source as your only co-sign before. Don't back track.
Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitimeWed 04 Aug 2010, 3:25 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
You provided no proof KJ. You just named random other magazines, and you have cited the source as your only co-sign before. Don't back track.

Jason did my dirty work for me when he linked Metacritic.

We'll see in due time if others feel that this album is a classic. Personally, I don't. The Source has been very suspect since the Benzino era. The Fix was the last classic album they named that I co-sign.

I'm definitely not a Bun-B hater though. I like this album, I just don't feel it's 5 stars.

Last edited by Eastern Rap Pro on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bun B - Trill OG Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bun B - Trill OG   Bun B - Trill OG Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bun B - Trill OG
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: