Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revote #23: Snoop Dogg

Go down 
+4
Shaun
T. Myers
D.Powell
Jason
8 posters

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither?
Top 50
Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Vote_lcap25%Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Vote_rcap
 25% [ 5 ]
Top 100
Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Vote_lcap35%Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Vote_rcap
 35% [ 7 ]
Neither
Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Vote_lcap40%Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Vote_rcap
 40% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Empty
PostSubject: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 10:22 am

Vote On.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 12:47 pm

I've got Snoop's one classic having ass as a neither

for as long as Snoop has been in the game I expect more than that from him

he's also a decent lyricist but no "killer" IMO..

I've got him in my top 110 of all-time right outside of the top 100

he does have plenty of impact and influence on his side but in some of my other voting criteria he falls short

neither is the vote for me
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 3:01 pm

He's top 100 for me. Also, his one consensus classic is more than Heavy D. I just thought i'd throw that out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 3:04 pm

People can say what they want about Snoop's lyrics, but realistically there aren't 100 better rappers in the history of the game than him.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 5:07 pm

Top 100
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 5:11 pm

T. Myers wrote:
He's top 100 for me. Also, his one consensus classic is more than Heavy D. I just thought i'd throw that out there.

good throw Terry and I caught it man...lol

now I'm going to throw one back at cha

Hev would completely RIP Snoop to pieces on the mic...make him look like an unsolved puzzle when he was done with him...fa shizzle, fa dizzle ain't gonna save his ass from that beating..lol

Also "Blue Funk" was a personal classic for me, plus Hev's output overall throughout his career had way better material than Snoop IMO...

he was a better overall emcee
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2009, 5:43 pm

Yeah, i think Heavy would get Snoop too. Heavy's material is so light and fun that people actually under estimate him on the mic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 2:01 am

In the case of Heavy vs Snoop, I think Hev is more lyrical, HOWEVER I think Snoop's body of work is comparable to Hev's.

Like Terry said, Snoop has one classic and Hev doesn't have any. I have 2 Hev albums rated at 4.5 stars and only two of them rated under 4 stars, and those two are about 3.5 which is still above average.

With Snoop, besides his classic Doggystyle, I have another one of his albums rated at 4.5 stars, and only 3 of them rated under 4 stars. Snoop has more albums than Hev though so it evens out.

The only true stinker Snoop has ever dropped IMO is Doggfather. Everything else ranges from 3.5 to 4.5 stars for me.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 12:55 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
In the case of Heavy vs Snoop, I think Hev is more lyrical, HOWEVER I think Snoop's body of work is comparable to Hev's.

Like Terry said, Snoop has one classic and Hev doesn't have any. I have 2 Hev albums rated at 4.5 stars and only two of them rated under 4 stars, and those two are about 3.5 which is still above average.

With Snoop, besides his classic Doggystyle, I have another one of his albums rated at 4.5 stars, and only 3 of them rated under 4 stars. Snoop has more albums than Hev though so it evens out.

The only true stinker Snoop has ever dropped IMO is Doggfather. Everything else ranges from 3.5 to 4.5 stars for me.

Heavy D:

Living Large-3.5 stars
Big Tyme-4.5 stars
Peaceful Journey-4.5 stars
Blue Funk-5 stars (IMO)
Nuttin But Love-4.25 stars
Heavy Hitz-5 stars (greatest hits)
Waterbed Hev-3.5 stars
Heavy-3 stars
Vibes-4 stars

Snoop:
Doggystyle-5 stars
Tha Doggfather-4 stars
Da Game Is To Be Sold,Not To Be Told-3 stars
No Limit Top Dogg-2.5 stars
The Last Meal-3 stars
Paid The Cost To Be The Boss-3.5 stars
R&G(Rhythm And Gangsta)-3.5 stars
Tha Blue Carpet Treatment-4 stars
Ego Trippin-3 stars

again this shit is all opinion but Hev is killin Snoop overall....let me know KJ what differences you have on your list man because Hev is clearly and away the better artist between these two man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 1:04 pm

D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Heavy D:

Living Large-3.5 stars
Big Tyme-4.5 stars
Peaceful Journey-4.5 stars
Blue Funk-5 stars (IMO)
Nuttin But Love-4.25 stars
Heavy Hitz-5 stars (greatest hits)
Waterbed Hev-3.5 stars
Heavy-3 stars
Vibes-4 stars

Snoop:
Doggystyle-5 stars
Tha Doggfather-4 stars
Da Game Is To Be Sold,Not To Be Told-3 stars
No Limit Top Dogg-2.5 stars
The Last Meal-3 stars
Paid The Cost To Be The Boss-3.5 stars
R&G(Rhythm And Gangsta)-3.5 stars
Tha Blue Carpet Treatment-4 stars
Ego Trippin-3 stars

again this shit is all opinion but Hev is killin Snoop overall....let me know KJ what differences you have on your list man because Hev is clearly and away the better artist between these two man!

Doggfather 4 stars? No Limit Top Dogg 2.5? Last Meal 3? I disagree with those ratings ENTIRELY Powell. I think NLTD and Last Meal were 4 stars (I have Last Meal at 4.5 personally) and Doggfather sucked. But we can just agree to disagree. I also have R&G at 4 stars.

As for your Hev ratings, Blue Funk is only about 4.25 IMO, and Nuthin But Love is about 3.5 to me.

You criticize Snoop for only having one classic, yet you praise Cormega who has NO classics. I think that's just personal preference. But it's all good.

Getting off topic, I have a rec for you. Check out Marco Polo & Torae's "Double Barrel" album. I think you'll like it. IMO it's the dopest Duck Down release since Nocturnal.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 1:09 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

Getting off topic, I have a rec for you. Check out Marco Polo & Torae's "Double Barrel" album. I think you'll like it. IMO it's the dopest Duck Down release since Nocturnal.

its a really dope album but you like it better than The Chosen Few, Jesus Price Superstar, and The Last Stand? i have all those ranked a little higher
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 1:16 pm

I honestly thought Snoop's work with No Limit was pretty bad...a few tolerable ones but overall trash describes it best, and those works along with a couple others really brings down his entire legacy for me man....

Cormega gets more praise than Snoop from me because of his lyrical prowess man, that's why...Snoop to me is not a lyricist by any means, yes he does have a classic more because of Dr.Dre than himself IMO but he is not a lyricist man

Cormega although he has no bonafide classics is a much better spitter...I mean some heads consider Hammer's second album a classic but we both know he can't spit for damn right??

so classic material is just one part of my criteria man

that "Blue Funk" is better than anything Snoop ever made IMO except "Doggystyle"

I just ordered Double Barrel and should have it later this week, I'll back to you on it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

I liked Snoop's work with No Limit quite a bit actually. Bitch Please, Ghetto Symphony, Buck Em, Lay Low, Wrong Idea, and Set it Off are all dope songs to me.

Cormega isn't wack, but I just don't think he's among the 100 greatest of all time. I'm surprised you voted in favor of him, and against AZ. I feel AZ is far superior to Mega.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 7:01 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

its a really dope album but you like it better than The Chosen Few, Jesus Price Superstar, and The Last Stand? i have all those ranked a little higher

The only one of those I've heard was Jesus Price Superstar, and I like Double Barrel better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 8:44 pm

Snoop holds down a whole coast with a select few mainstream wise and has been doing it for over 15yrs. Snoop continues to make quality albums and has dropped hit single after hit single without selling out or stepping out his true self imo. Snoop has one of the best flows and voices in hip hop ever and is totally original. But people are voting neither and top 100 because he is not Nas or Ras Kass? Thats bull.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 8:48 pm

^ people voted neither on Ras Kass

i voted top 100 for Snoop he definitely deserves it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 8:52 pm

Kev, holding down a whole coast for 15 years? Please, who was the bigger star of Doggystyle, Snoop or Dre? That's right, Dre. Snoop was 3rd Fiddle on DEATH ROW behind Pac and Dre (and Suge honestly), and then you factor in Ice Cube, Snoop is AT BEST #4 from that whole camp. As far as never selling out, come off that dude. Pussycat dolls isn't selling out? Fucking reality shows isn't selling out? Fuck, signing with Master P was selling out, you think 92 hood ass, crip ass snoop wouldn't fuckin body his current self? come the fuck off that dude.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 8:55 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Snoop holds down a whole coast with a select few mainstream wise and has been doing it for over 15yrs. Snoop continues to make quality albums and has dropped hit single after hit single without selling out or stepping out his true self imo. Snoop has one of the best flows and voices in hip hop ever and is totally original. But people are voting neither and top 100 because he is not Nas or Ras Kass? Thats bull.

Sexual Eruption and Beautiful were both sell out songs in my opinion, and those are just 2 I came up off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 9:41 pm

"Snoop was 3rd Fiddle on DEATH ROW behind Pac and Dre (and Suge honestly), and then you factor in Ice Cube, Snoop is AT BEST #4 from that whole camp"

Cube was on Death Row?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 9:43 pm

Sexual Eruption was sellout? Come man Snoop has always made mainstream singles...Gin and Juice, Snoop Upside Your Head, etc. Snoop to me for the most part always made the music he wants to make not what a record label tells him to make. That is not sell out to me, you guys seem to always have a problem with a rapper that gets to much mainstream luv but that is also a part of being in hip hop mass appeal baby. When Snoop does a whole album with Lil Jon and Brittney Spears than I may feel he is a sell out but until then Snoop is not a sellout he is just getting money off his personality. Why not everybody else wants to get rich off of Snoop why can't he?

Steve I said Snoop is one of the few that hold the west coast down mainstream wise

Dre
Snoop
Cube
Game

That's it pretty much.

Last edited by KRob86 on Sun 14 Jun 2009, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 9:44 pm

Steve wrote:
Kev, holding down a whole coast for 15 years? Please, who was the bigger star of Doggystyle, Snoop or Dre? That's right, Dre. Snoop was 3rd Fiddle on DEATH ROW behind Pac and Dre (and Suge honestly), and then you factor in Ice Cube, Snoop is AT BEST #4 from that whole camp. As far as never selling out, come off that dude. Pussycat dolls isn't selling out? Fucking reality shows isn't selling out? Fuck, signing with Master P was selling out, you think 92 hood ass, crip ass snoop wouldn't fuckin body his current self? come the fuck off that dude.

You're crazy with this sellout shit man.

Snoop was the star of Doggystyle. Dre's production was awesome and a big part of it, but it was Snoop's rhymes that put it over the top. Many would say that Snoop put The Chronic over the top as well, because he wrote some of Dre's rhymes on that album.

As for Pac, he didn't even join Death Row until 1995. Don't even get into Suge, because he was the guy that ultimately led to Death Row's (and Pac's) demise. Cube was NEVER a part of Death Row.

As for making songs with pop artists, 99% of rappers do that nowadays. Pac made a song with Jon B, who's pretty much on the same level talentwise with Justin Timberlake.

So you're telling me that Rev Run and Flavor Flav sold out too? They both have had reality shows, and Run still does.

Signing with P isn't selling out either. Mystikal did that, and ended up having the most success of his career when he did so.

I respect the hell out of Snoop. He's trying to help his kids not go down the same gangster lifestyle that he did, and helping out underprivledged kids as well. He really did hold down the West for a decade. Not by himself, but he's definitely one of the cats that did so. He was EASILY rap's biggest star in 1992 and 1993, and he's STILL one of rap's biggest stars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 9:47 pm

Esco wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Sexual Eruption and Beautiful were both sell out songs in my opinion, and those are just 2 I came up off the top of my head.

How the fuck is Beautiful a sell out song??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 10:01 pm

whoa whoa whoa....when did I say Cube was on Death Row? He never was, I consider Snoop part of that whole NWA/Death Row/West Coast Clique man, so don't try and do me like that, y'all know me better than that.

Now as for Snoop not being a sellout, what IS a sellout man? So doing a song with Pussycat Dolls (he did two) isnt being a sellout man? All the other shit he's done...how is a WEST COAST ARTIST going to sign with NO LIMIT dude? Come on now. And Snoop ain't shit now, how well did his last album sell? Calling him a fucking star, T.I., Ciara, Eminem, Lil' Wayne, Young Jeezy, Beyonce, they are hip-hops stars now man. It's fucking bullshit and y'all know it, Snoop a sellout.

Oh, and you seriously trying to say Snoop is bigger than Dre? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 10:16 pm

With the Cube thing, if you scroll up to your last message it looks like you put him with Death Row. That's why I (and Shon) said that.

Snoop signed with No Limit because Suge was doin him DIRTY (just as he did everybody) on Death Row, and Master P (whom I've seen you big up before) offered him a Diddy-like contract. It was basically a setup for him to create his own record label.

Since when are Beyonce and Ciara hip-hop stars?

Also, I never said Snoop was BIGGER than Dre, I just said that Dre wasn't bigger than Snoop on Doggystyle. Snoop was the biggest star in the game in 1992 and 1993.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 10:18 pm

Steve thats how I know you don't know much about Snoop or the situation of why he signed to No Limit. Suge had left a bad taste in the mouth of the industry and he was not happy about Snoop wanting out of Deathrow. Master P was the only label I bet that would mess with Snoop and offer him back up in case some ish went down. Snoop only signed with No Limit because he needed to stay relevent and No Limit was on top at the time. I call that a smart move.

Pac use to do the Humpty Dance with D.U. and than flipped to Thuglife, but I bet you won't call that sell out?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 10:22 pm

ha, cuz i disagree with you i aint know the situation....

so you say you excusin a motha fucka for doing some stupid ass, SELLOUT shit cuz he had no other choice. im not condemning the man im condemning the act, i call a spade a spade and snoop the biggest sellout in hiphop (for OG status) BAR NONE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 10:27 pm

oh and kev thats how i know you dont know shit about pacs situation cuz he got into the game as a backup dancer he had nobody else giving him a chance, so he did what he had to do to get on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 10:35 pm

oh, sorry to keep posting in a row, but FYI, snoop was one of my favorite rappers and top 5 before 2000, when he sold out and helped kill hip hop
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 11:22 pm

OK, I understand Gin & Juice ect were mainstream songs, but they were good songs. You can't really compare Gin & Juice to Beautiful and say they're on the same caliber. And KRob, I don't have a problem giving credit to anyone who has mainstream appeal, Nas(to a lesser extent), Jay-Z, Eminem, or The Game. They've all put out records that I enjoy all at the same time while having mainstream appeal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 8:08 am

But Esco to me Beautiful is a dope song...

Steve what you said about Pac can be twisted into a sell out move so I just wanted to show you how I feel you are looking at Snoop.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 8:41 am

Top 100. Though I would easily take The Heavsta over him.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 12:26 pm

KRob86 wrote:
But Esco to me Beautiful is a dope song...

Steve what you said about Pac can be twisted into a sell out move so I just wanted to show you how I feel you are looking at Snoop.

Well, It's not a bad song, but it's not too great, its a huge direction change single-wise than Gin & Juice. But Cmon, if you think about it ... what is "drop it like its hawttt?" That was a dumb song and then I remember him doing a wack song with RKelly, just don't remember the name.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 12:29 pm

I dug "Drop It Like It's Hot"
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 1:41 pm

Alan wrote:
You would...smh
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 1:54 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Alan wrote:
You would...smh

Not typically. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revote #23: Snoop Dogg   Revote #23: Snoop Dogg Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revote #23: Snoop Dogg
Page 1 of 1