Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

OB4CL2 revisited

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:35 pm

With the deluxe gold edition of this album hitting stores in two weeks, I wanted to create this thread. Also, next month it would be one year since this album was released, so I wanted to revisit this one. Any of you still rate it the same (higher or lower), more or less spins, etc. Lets discuss.

Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:46 pm

I spin it like once a month. 4.5/5 for me
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:47 pm

I still have it at 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:48 pm

yeah, it's still roughly the same for me. It's around 4.0-4.25 stars.

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:49 pm

It's also still my pick for best album of 2009.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:57 pm

i just bumped this twice today, theres no wack tracks, just dope shit through and through. 4.5-4.75

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:59 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
i just bumped this twice today, theres no wack tracks, just dope shit through and through. 4.5-4.75

Cosign.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 8:13 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
I spin it like once a month. 4.5/5 for me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 8:15 pm

Mixtape of the year, 3.5
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 8:16 pm

Steve wrote:
Mixtape of the year, 3.5

Mixtape? Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 8:22 pm

Dusted Magazine: "Working almost like a glorified mixtape, many of the tracks bleed together or start mid-scene with field recordings of corner action. It adds to the feeling that you’ve dropped in on something important."

Paste Magazine: "The album drags at points; with 22 tracks and a 70-minute runtime, some of this material would have been better off on a mixtape. But that’s a minor flaw in an otherwise superbly-executed gangster epic."

Me: Sound quality issues, track length, track quality on some give this mixtape feel.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 8:44 pm

"Me: Sound quality issues, track length, track quality on some give this mixtape feel."

Indeed. 3.5 sounds about right.

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 8:51 pm

Yep. 3.5. Good, bit not great. Predictable, no surprises, same old shit from my least favorite Wu member.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:00 pm

HOLY SHIT....I actually agree with joseph right here...I can NOT fuckin believe it man...I almost want to disagree with him just for the sake of disagreeing, but he's right on this one

this album is no more than 3.5 stars IMO...and is not even close to being album of the year for 2009 (one of the strongest post 2000 years of the decade IMO)

there was too much heat released last year...this album was in the middle of the pack for me....Raekwon released this album about 15 years too late...his solo career is done IMO...stick to group efforts or just become an actor my dude!
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:01 pm

"there was too much heat released last year"

Coming from you.... affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:04 pm

D.Powell wrote:
HOLY SHIT....I actually agree with joseph right here...I can NOT fuckin believe it man...I almost want to disagree with him just for the sake of disagreeing, but he's right on this one

this album is no more than 3.5 stars IMO...and is not even close to being album of the year for 2009 (one of the strongest post 2000 years of the decade IMO)

there was too much heat released last year...this album was in the middle of the pack for me....Raekwon released this album about 15 years too late...his solo career is done IMO...stick to group efforts or just become an actor my dude!

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:11 pm

Don't worry KJ, I'm not interested in sitting on your daddy''s lap. No threat over here...
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:13 pm

Yeah I know Tranny....that shit even sounds crazy to me man...but 2009 had a bunch of bangers and this joint is middle ground to me

LOL@ Kj...yeah man Raekwon is done as a solo artist to me unless he grows as an artist man.....he's 42 years old and he's still slanging crack on the block and watching out for the cops??? and he's still a mafiso member??

C'MON SON GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!

show some damn growth like Ghostface did...show me something man! go have some kids.....get married.....get a family....do something Rae but get the fuck off the block mane...it's dangerous out there Smile
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

calm down joseph I'm only interested in my wife or my son sitting on my lap....now don't you worry lil man....Leonard will still lick you tonight Smile (yuck)
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:18 pm

You're gonna break your little pet KJs heart, man.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

4.5/5 for me. There are a lot of rappers that are 40 or near 40 still talking about the same shit they did when they first came out. All of a sudden, that's a problem. "See Bun B's Trill OG"
If you don't like the album fine. However, IMO the age of a rapper has nothing to do with the album. It's either nice or it isn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:27 pm

Bun B is not talking about the same things on Trill OG as UGK did on their albums... it's mostly braggish raps now... their career were street/socially conscious rappers.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:28 pm

So you're saying that UGK never made braggish raps or are you saying they did both as a group SRP?.....lmao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

I'm saying the content over an entire UGK album is different from the content over Trill OG as a whole - where as the content on OB4CLII is almost exactly the same as the original.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:34 pm

Highsmith I think what it is with this album for me personally man is that it's boring to me right now man...I think that's what it is....he should've released this album in 1997...instead he waited until 2009 and he blew it IMO man....as for the album itself I'm not that impressed with it man....the beats are decent...the lyrics are decent but it's missing something IMO! 3.5 stars is certainly above average but it's not a great album IMO...I haven't played it since January man...for me personally that says something about how I felt about that album
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:46 pm

Ok SRP, I see what you are saying man. However, this is the same Bun B from the Free Pimp C era. Everything that Bun has done IMO since then is what I have heard on all of his 3 solos and the guest appearances. This was also the same UGK on the self titled double CD.

As for Rae D Powell, I guess because I gave him so much flack for Immobilarity and The Lex Diamond Story, it was just nice to hear a Rae album that I can listen to all the way through like OB4CL. OB4CL2 does sound dated but IMO that is even better because it put the CD in a '97 mode instead of something that was released in 2009. I hear what you are saying but at the same time what other kind of album could Rae make now and have folks pay attention to him?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:48 pm

I see both sides of the debate on this one. When I 1st got it I was on it hard but a year later some of sting has disappeared. 2009 was a very heavy year for dope releases so this is no where near album of the year imo. I got it at a 4.0-4.25 that seems more accurate in my book.

And him rapping about crime shit and dope man stuff is no real biggie to me because most of it is in story form and shows his creative thought on creating crime stories. Its not like he's on there threating mofo' and claiming body counts throughout the whole album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

You can't really say that Raekwon doing a dope slangin CD 15 years later is the same as Bun B doing the same bragging shit for the last 5 years though. So the comparison just doesn't hold IMO.

You'd be more accurate saying something like - say - how people are always wanting primo and pete rock and q-tip and scarface to go back to that old sound, yet when Rae did it some of the same people are complaining about it.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:54 pm

hmm that s a good question man...I honestly feel that as an "artist" Rae would have to figure out in which ways he could have shown or will show growth in any future projects...it's obvious he's limited in content which is kinda sad because I do consider him a legendary artist...I mean he's a founding member of the WU and he recorded "the purple tape" so we know dude has talent...he needs to use that creative brain of his and think of a way or ways to show growth as a veteran hip-hop artist....
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 9:59 pm

I see what you mean SRP. I don't see it as much of a difference but I do see what you're saying. UGK had a variety of rap styles IMO. They talked about a little of everything. I don't think their style can be limited to mostly street/socially conscious rappers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:02 pm

I overall thought this album was solid, but not classic like people some people make it out to be. My main issue with the album was how some of the same people who gush over it try to diss gangsta rap - and to me it is the same thing, so I don't see the difference.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:13 pm

What you're saying makes sense D Powell. However, with Rae's style comes his best work, "the purple tape". In his 40s, although I think he can try to create the style that you're referring to, he may just want to run with what people know him as and end his career the only way he knows how.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm

Because that's all he's got...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:33 pm

D.Powell wrote:

LOL@ Kj...yeah man Raekwon is done as a solo artist to me unless he grows as an artist man.....he's 42 years old and he's still slanging crack on the block and watching out for the cops??? and he's still a mafiso member??

C'MON SON GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!

show some damn growth like Ghostface did...show me something man! go have some kids.....get married.....get a family....do something Rae but get the fuck off the block mane...it's dangerous out there Smile

Dude, Rae doesn't sell crack anymore. He's simply just spittin about what he used to do and the street tales that the loyal Wu fans wanna hear. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I don't wanna hear Rae change his style. He tried that with The Lex Diamond Story and that album was trash. Rae's just stickin to what brought him to the dance and I honestly can't say I blame him.

It's funny though, the second that someone does something outside of their realm, they're immediately labeled a "sell out", yet when they stay in their lane they're accused of not growing as artists. So it's like you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, SMH.

I judge OB4CL2 for what it is. An bangin Wu-effort from front to back. Easily one of the best albums of 09 and a Top 10 Wu album IMO.

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm

Are you sure he doesn't sell crack? I mean, how do you know?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:41 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Are you sure he doesn't sell crack? I mean, how do you know?

With all the money he's netting, he doesn't need to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:44 pm

This is nowhere near a top 10 Wu-tang album...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:46 pm

Nope it's not even close to top 10.

Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:47 pm

Raekwon is a coke rapper, get over it. If you dont want coke rap, dont listen to Raekwon, period, done.

But once again, coke rap>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm

I can't see how a Wu-fan wouldn't like this album either. It's the dopest Rae has sounded in years, and it's got some great guest appearances and production. Stone cold Wu-Banger.

Y'all hate on this album yet big up the watered down pop sellout version of Jay Z on BP3, SMH!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
I can't see how a Wu-fan wouldn't like this album either. It's the dopest Rae has sounded in years, and it's got some great guest appearances and production. Stone cold Wu-Banger.

Cosign.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:

Y'all hate on this album yet big up the watered down pop sellout version of Jay Z on BP3, SMH!!!

I actually agree with that second part, quite a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:54 pm

TOP 10 WU?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

So the following don't exist?

Tical
36 Chambers
Return to the 36 Chambers
Ironman
Fishscale
Supreme Clientelle
Grandmasters
Liquid Swords
OB4CL
Wu-Tang Forever

At a MINIMUM??????
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:55 pm

I still spin it. I like this LP
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:57 pm

Steve wrote:
TOP 10 WU?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tical
36 Chambers
Ironman
Fishscale
Supreme Clientelle
Grandmasters
Liquid Swords
OB4CL
Wu-Tang Forever

At a MINIMUM??????

I'd probably take it over Fishscale and Return to The 36 Chambers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:59 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
Steve wrote:
TOP 10 WU?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Tical
36 Chambers
Ironman
Fishscale
Supreme Clientelle
Grandmasters
Liquid Swords
OB4CL
Wu-Tang Forever

At a MINIMUM??????

I'd probably take it over Fishscale and Return to The 36 Chambers

Over Fishscale, wow, kind of a tough one right there, same with RTT36C, and RTT36C has that CLASSIC Wu sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 11:00 pm

KJ made a...."questionable" claim off the top of his head. If I made such a claim, I'd be like "you know what, maybe top 25 or so", and that is cool. That's like me saying Street's Disciple is the best Nas album. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 11:01 pm

OK, now add Heavy Mental, The Offering, Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars, The Last Shall Be First, No Said Date, and a few others. This album ain't a top 10 Wu album.

Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 11:05 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Raekwon is a coke rapper, get over it. If you dont want coke rap, dont listen to Raekwon, period, done.

But once again, coke rap>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kill it Mr.WU-TANG

Jay-Z was one of the biggest COKE emcees around my dude....do your homework if you don't believe me...he was really slangin and making a bunch of roc-a-fella start up money and he evolved into one of the most diverse emcees to ever do it.....he still has some coke tales in his lyrics but his subject matter has quadrupled....Rae needs to take notes....expand his mind just a little bit IMO...he's still a legend emcee based on his merits but I think to keep that solo career spinning he needs to expand his horizons and look at other COKE emcees like Jay-Z or Jadakiss or even Nas (who was slangin too but has expanded a bunch as well) as an example of how to be a true ARTIST in every sense of that word IMO!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm

this is nowhere near top 10 Wu its about top 30, early 20s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OB4CL2 revisited   

Back to top Go down

OB4CL2 revisited
View previous topic View next topic Back to top