Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Does 2Pac Have The Greatest Hip-Hop Catalog Of All-Time
Yes
36%
 36% [ 4 ]
No
64%
 64% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 7:36 am

Does 2Pac Shakur have the greatest hip-hop discog of all-time?? IMO he should not be mentioned for anything regarding that question even if we only include the material recorded when he was alive...he just doesn't have enough to be ranked there....his legendary status is of no question here, this is only in regards to his overall hip-hop catalog

According to Steve he has the number one hip-hop catalog of all-time and this is why he says this is so:

2Pacalypse Now (4-5)
Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (4-4.5)
Me Against the World (5)
All Eyez on Me (4.5-5)
Don Kiluminati : The 7 Day Theory (4.25-5)
R U Still Down? (Remember Me) (4-4.5)
Until the End of Time (4-4.5)
Better Dayz (3.5-4.25)
Loyal to the Game (3)
Pac's Life (2.5-3)
Thug Life: Volume 1 (4-4.5)
Still I Rise (4-4.75)
The five new tracks on his Greatest Hits (5)

I'm inclined to totally disagree with a bunch of those ratings on said albums, Pac although a legendary hip-hop artist and number one on a bunch of heads list as the GOAT does NOT have the catalog of some of the all-time greats IMO!

What does the forum feel regarding this subject and lists the reasons why?? Does 2Pac Shakur have the greatest hip-hop catalog of all-time??

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 9:58 am

No he does not have the best of ALL time. But he has one of he best imo. Like maybe top 10-20 discogs of all time I could see but not top 5.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 10:08 am

KRob86 wrote:
No he does not have the best of ALL time. But he has one of he best imo. Like maybe top 10-20 discogs of all time I could see but not top 5.

No way he's top 10 Kev...top 20 is possible if he's like number 20

he's not ahead of:

Scarface
Jay-Z
Nas
Public Enemy
Outkast
UGK
Gang Starr
Ghostface
The Roots
EPMD
BDP/KRS-One
De La Soul
Eric B And Rakim
and a bunch of you guys would even say he's not beating Dj Quik either

so maybe he's top 20????
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 11:09 am

I don't count past Makiaveli. Which would mean yes, his discogrophy is quite impressive.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 11:13 am

I also don't really take his posthumous releases into consideration.

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 11:53 am

"2Pacalypse Now (4-5)
Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (4-4.5)
Me Against the World (5)
All Eyez on Me (4.5-5)
Don Kiluminati : The 7 Day Theory (4.25-5)"

With those five albums, I'd say his discog rivals the best.

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:26 pm

I voted yes, because he deserves consideration. No artist would be considered to have the best discography by a majority vote. The question is rigged as it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:27 pm

You guys are clearly forgetting BP3 is the GOAT, come on guys!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

Ghost, Roots, and Scarface are the only ones you listed that can fuck with Pac when it comes to catalogs.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:41 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Ghost, Roots, and Scarface are the only ones you listed that can fuck with Pac when it comes to catalogs.

You forgot Outkast, which has the best discog.

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:41 pm

Shrimp Head wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

You forgot Outkast, which has the best discog.

And Gang Starr, which has the second best discog.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm

You forgot Idlewild andLove Below, which are the worst of any albums released by anybody on that list, so no.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

Steve wrote:
You forgot Idlewild andLove Below, which are the worst of any albums released by anybody on that list, so no.

4 5 star albums in a row more than make up for those.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

Not to mention Idlewild is better than Nastradamus.

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm

I don't dig Stankonia. I think it should be considered a wildcard, because I'm pretty sure there's more than a few who agree with me.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:49 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I don't dig Stankonia. I think it should be considered a wildcard, because I'm pretty sure there's more than a few who agree with me.

Fair enough, but that's still 3 5 star classics for Kast, while Pac only has two. Both are able to be considered though.

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

And, of the ones listed here, I would put Gang Starr just outside the one's I mentioned. Maybe one 5 star album...consistent 4-4.5, but just one 5.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

Shrimp Head wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

Fair enough, but that's still 3 5 star classics for Kast, while Pac only has two. Both are able to be considered though.

Pac has 3.

Me Against The World
Makavelli
All Eyez On Me
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm

Cornholio wrote:
Shrimp Head wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

Pac has 3.

Me Against The World
Makavelli
All Eyez On Me

AEOM is 4-4.25 stars for me

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

2pacalypse Now - 4.5
Strictly - 4.5
MATW - 5
All Eyez - 4.5
makiaveli - 5

And, I would say that I like Pac's 4.5 albums over a lot of other albums I would rate the same, while his classics are easily 2 of my favorites from the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 12:55 pm

Pac does have three, but AEOM is his worst.

[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

this is the make Steven feel real good about himself thread...at least thats whats its become...LOL

Pac is not even remotely in the discussion for best hip-hop catalog of all-time....of course Slaine's biggest fanatic would think he was Smile

Pac has 2 classics maybe three if he's lucky so forget about him even being close to the discussion here...lol

good try though ladies!

Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 2:06 pm

Steve wrote:
You guys are clearly forgetting BP3 is the GOAT, come on guys!

you really believe that Steven?? I hope not mane (mayne)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 2:09 pm

Well, I believe More Fish is better than Supreme Clientele, and I believe OB4CL2 is better than one, and War Report 2 is better than 1, and Idlewild is better than Aquemini, let's see any others I can rate from Powell's perspective, nope

(I don't actually believe those by the way guys).
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 2:16 pm

hey mane don't use my "perspective" use Steven's...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 3:28 pm

Pac has 3 concensus classics. AEOE, MAW, and Makaveli. No matter who I talk to about Pac those 3 are brought up the most.

Scarface has MSIB, Diary, Fix, and Untouchable. So he has 4 concensus classics that I always hear get brought up more than any of his albums.

Public Enemy- 2 (ITANOM and FOABP)

NWA- 2 (SOC and N4life)

Ghostface- 2 (IM and SC)

Gangstarr- 3-4 (HTE, DO, SITA)

Jay-Z- 3 (RD, BP, BA)

Nas-2 (Illmatic and Stillmatic)

Cube- 2-3 (AMW, DC, and maybe Predator)

I'll be back with more...but these are facts people. My personal opinion aside.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

Public Enemy has 4 classics Kev, what are you talking about man? Nations, Fear Of, Apocalpyse '91 and Yo, Bum Rush The Show (not counting this forum's opinions of course)

Nas has 6 (Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic, The Lost Tapes, Untitled and even this new one Distant Relatives is being mentioned in classic status over here in NYC) again I'm not talking about this forum's opinions

Pac has 2 that I've heard...which is Me Against The World and All Eyez On Me...the heads I know don't count Makaveli as one of those classics..( I personally think it is a classic)..

Cube has 3-DC....AMW...and Predator

Kast has 3 by most peoples count maybe even 4

'Face has 3 that I've heard from heads and Untouchable is not one of them

Jay has 3...RD and BP and The Black Album again that I've heard

NWA has 3 from what I heard SOC....N4Life.....and the EP 100 Miles And Running

Gang Starr has 4...MOT....Step In The Arena....Daily Operation....Hard To Earn from what I've heard mentioned

so it all is opinionated and depends on what areas we are from as to what are considered classics Kev....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:03 pm

Nas Has SIX??????????????????????????????????????????

okay Powell you played yourself.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:09 pm

umm thats what is said over here in NYC Steve pay attention my dude...Distant Relatives is being called a classic too...I personally think it's close!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:12 pm

I'm getting my information from these kids that work in the office and on the radio out here too....also my boys are giving their takes on shit too...again I don't necessarily agree with everything being mentioned but I do not think that 2Pac's catalog is strong enough to be mentioned with some of these other guys catalogs..(IN MY OPINION)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:14 pm

To paraphrase you, Powell:

"or like you know NYC's viewpoints on things and if you do know these things then help your boy out my dude...REAL talk....tell me how the housing market is going to look in 5 years?? tell me what the insurance industry will look like in 5 years from your "worldly" point of view?? let me in on some trade secrets my dude

in other words learn to phrase your shit more with in Powell's opinion...not the entire state of NY...the entire country...or the entire world but in Powell's opinion...it may help you when your being attacked constantly if you just put shit a different way my dude because there is no way in fuckin hell you could know what the entire world is thinking about Nas and neither could I"
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:19 pm

I said where my information was coming from Steven...obviously your not paying attention again...I'm admitting where I'm getting my information from...and I listed as much even at the end of those joints I said heads thought were classic...again pay attention Steve

Last edited by D.Powell on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:21 pm

So don't say NYC, say your boys and kids at work, simple.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:24 pm

the radio station and people calling up could be considered NYC and the greater area as well correct?? because I stated that too...Hot 97 and Power 105.9....again pay attention Steve
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:25 pm

Anything about Pac makes you feel all "gushy" inside....I can tell mane (mayne) Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:26 pm

Oh now Hot 97 and Power 105.9 are reviewing albums? And I suppose that means that NYC is calling everything from Jim Jones to Lil Wayne classic if we're counting callers too mane (mayne), and are these callers saying "DISTANT RELATIVES IS CLASSIC MANE (MAYNE)!!" nah son, kill that.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:34 pm

Distant Relatives has been discussed on the radio here ever since it dropped...that could be due to the influence of Damian Marley (there is a high concentration of Jamaicans in the NYC area and surrounding towns), and the radios stations here do have classics of the day moments throughout the day from time to time...

Steven please mane (mayne) your fighting your heart out for Pac like he's related to you....why?? Kj does the same shit for Nas...i just don't understand any of it mane (Mayne).....calm down my dude!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:37 pm

i'm not talking about Pac here...haven't been for quite some time mane (mayne), i'm talkin' bout you bein' crazy bout Distant Relatives classic status, not even in NYC baby bubba!

And Nas six classics, I'm talkin' bout that also, not even Wayne or Kj do that mane (mayne)
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:42 pm

those are the 6 I've heard mentioned my dude...my personal classics for Nas include:

1.Illmatic

2.Stillmatic

3.The Lost Tapes

4.Untitled
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:45 pm

i'm sure every album of his has been mentioned mane (mayne), doesnt mean nyc considers em classic mane (mayne). take off illmatic and youve got my personal classics too mane(mayne)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:52 pm

Nas does not have 6 concensus classics. Imo concensus bypasses regional boundaries. And talking to heads from all walks of life and taking all type of media info into consideration objectively Nas has 2 maybe 3 concensus classics. Now for me personally Nas has 3-4 classics but I understand thats not concensus.

I never hear much praise for Apocalpyse '91. Only you, Pounds, Wayne, and maybe KJ I have heard. But even if we add that album they have 3 but no way in hell is Bum Rush a concensus classic. Look outside the box fellas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Nas does not have 6 concensus classics. Imo concensus bypasses regional boundaries. And talking to heads from all walks of life and taking all type of media info into consideration objectively Nas has 2 maybe 3 concensus classics. Now for me personally Nas has 3-4 classics but I understand thats not concensus.

I never hear much praise for Apocalpyse '91. Only you, Pounds, Wayne, and maybe KJ I have heard. But even if we add that album they have 3 but no way in hell is Bum Rush a concensus classic. Look outside the box fellas.

Total sense coming from KRob here. Co-sign every word. Though I feel Tech N9ne has 3-4 classics, most would say he has maybe 1-2, if they've even heard of him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 5:31 pm

He doesn't have the greatest catalog of all time but objectively I can see it qualifying for Top 10. None of his albums while he was alive are under 4 stars IMO. The weak material were some of his posthumous releases, and they contained tracks that probably wouldn't have dropped if he was still here.

While I don't consider All Eyez On Me a classic album like a lot of Pac stans do, I've got it at 4 stars. I've got Me Against The World and Makaveli at 5 stars, 2Pacalyspe Now at 4, and Strictly For My N.1.G.G.A.Z. at about 4.25. So if you don't count his posthumous albums then you can put him in the conversation.

For me though, he'd be near the back end of my Top 10 at best, if that.

Last edited by Eastern Rap Pro on Wed 11 Aug 2010, 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Tue 10 Aug 2010, 8:26 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
He doesn't have the greatest catalog of all time but objectively I can see it qualifying for Top 10. None of his albums while he was alive are under 4 stars IMO. The weak material were some of his posthumous releases, and they contained tracks that probably wouldn't have dropped if he was still here.

Cosign.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Wed 11 Aug 2010, 7:58 pm

KRob86 wrote:

Yeah Nas has 4-5 classics to me but you're right, only 2-3 of them are consensus.

As for PE, I have heard classic talk for Yo Bumrush The Show and Apocalypse 91. Most PE fans consider them classics (myself included) It's just that Nation Of Millions and FOABP overshadow them because they're two of the best albums of all time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   Wed 11 Aug 2010, 8:09 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:

While I don't consider All Eyez On Me a classic album like a lot of Pac stans do, I've got it at 4 stars. I've got Me Against The World and Makaveli at 5 stars, 2Pacalyspe Now at 4, and Strictly For My N.1.G.G.A.Z. at about 4.25. So if you don't count his posthumous albums then you can put him in the conversation.

For me though, he'd be near the back end of my Top 10 at best, if that.

LMAO @ stans. C'mon dogg, it is UNIVERSALLY praised as a classic, including PERFECT ratings from Allmusic, XXL, Source & Rolling Stone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!   

Back to top Go down

Does He Belong?? Not Even Close For This Listener!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1