Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Camu Tao-King Of Hearts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Empty
PostSubject: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2010, 1:28 pm

This is what Prince should be doing.

Granted, this album does have it's flaws (Camu's singing, for one lol) but overall this is a pretty brilliant piece of work IMO. I don't see how it will appeal to Def Jux fans, but somehow they'll like it even though if Mike Posner (that "Cooler Than Me" dude, WHO USED TO INTERN AT DEF JUX ironically) was doing this, they'd hate it. This is not really a hip hop record, definitely not a techno album, not r&b, not pop...it just is. There are the occasians where the work is clearly unfinished (the glaring verse gaps on "Bird Flu", for example), and that does distract the listener from the dopeness of the album. Overall, though, if you can stand Andre 3000/Jimi Hendrix/George Clinton style vocal cover ups because the singer isn't that talented vocally, you'll be impressed by the music. The only REAL misstep IMO is the semi-a capella "Fuck Me", which is probably supposed to be only half serious in a weird hipster kind of way. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't drag on for 3 minutes and 58 seconds (one of the longer tracks on the album, sadly). But "Death (Where Have You Been All My Life)" and "When You're Going Down" are dope as fuck. If you've got an open mind, check this out.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2010, 2:33 pm

I'm on it. Thanks for the thorough review.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2010, 2:57 pm

Mike Posner is a cornball, i know like 5 people who went to high school with him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2010, 3:11 pm

:sleep:
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2010, 8:58 pm

The few songs I've heard from this are pretty crappy, annoying music and bad singing.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSat 14 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

Camel Toe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Camu Tao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 8:31 am

T. Myers wrote:

Dick move, Myers. Dick move.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 8:31 am

Jason wrote:
The few songs I've heard from this are pretty crappy, annoying music and bad singing.

From the guy who loves Silver Jews...ummm kay.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 8:33 am

Jeff wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Dick move, Myers. Dick move.

hahahahaha. I'll give it a listen if you send me a link.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 8:52 am

Jeff wrote:
Jason wrote:

From the guy who loves Silver Jews...ummm kay.

I can definitely get past bad singing if there's something of value to reward persistence, and sometimes bad singing can even work. Dave Berman can't sing but their music is much better, and even sort of meshes with his singing to make it more bearable, and his lyrics are far superior.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:03 am

Everything but "Dave Berman can't sing" is opinion, in case you forgot what that word means.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:04 am

Every single thing about this, and nearly everything we discuss on this board, is opinion. Isn't that a given?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug 2010, 5:35 pm

Jason, you have to admit that you stated those things as if they were facts. Regardless, I prefer hip hop music, so I don't think that the Silver Jews music is superior, and I think there's a double standard here because Camu Tao didn't live long enough to even finish this album.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeTue 17 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm

I don't think I should have to put "in my opinion" in every sentence I write here, it should just be understood that we're talking about something inherently subjective.

And I can only judge this music on what it is, not what he might have done if he lived, and I just don't hear good music here. I also wouldn't call a lot of this album Hip-Hop music, but it's at least closer than the Silver Jews, so that's understandable.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:10 am

I wouldn't call the album wack, but i definitely didn't hear the greatness that Jeff spoke of either. I'm not sure what all went on in order to "finish" the album after his death, but i do like the fact that it sounds and feels incomplete. it doesn't feel like a copy and past job like Biggie Duets or Pac's Life, and there are a few moments where everything comes together. We are left to wonder might have been.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 1:39 pm

I just got my physical copy today, and I stand my previous endorsement. This just smacks of great Prince music with a less talented lead singer IMO.

Also, if anybody knows where I could find a typed copy of the last page of the linear notes because I'm color blind and can't read them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camu Tao-King Of Hearts   Camu Tao-King Of Hearts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Camu Tao-King Of Hearts
Page 1 of 1