Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eric B. & Rakim

Go down 
4 posters

Which album is superior?
Let The Rhythm Hit Em
Eric B. & Rakim Vote_lcap64%Eric B. & Rakim Vote_rcap
 64% [ 7 ]
Don't Sweat The Technique
Eric B. & Rakim Vote_lcap36%Eric B. & Rakim Vote_rcap
 36% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 10:40 am

The 3rd and 4th albums, respectively, from these legendary artists. Lets discuss. (You all know I had to create a thread for this one, lol.)

Eric B. & Rakim Let_It_Hit_Em

VS

Eric B. & Rakim Don%27t_Sweat_the_Technique
Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 11:58 am

You know, the other night I spun these two albums back to back when Terry and Slang were saying that they liked DSTT better. I disagreed with them, and after spinning these albums again I still disagree.

DSTT probably has the two best songs on either album in Know The Ledge and the title track, but it's not as consistent throughout. There aren't as many 5 star tracks on it, and it has two skip tracks in Relax With Pep and Kick Along.

LTRHE has zero skip tracks, and is a more consistent album. It has really strong tracks like the title track, Untouchables, No Omega, In The Ghetto, Mahogany, Step Back, and Run For Cover among others. On DSTT, the strongest tracks after the first two I mentioned are Casualities of War, Rest Assured, Teach The Children, and What's On Your Mind. Those tracks are good, but they're not on the level of the ones on Let The Rhythm Hit Em IMO.

I also like the dark production on LTRHE, that's probably what sets some people off about the album but I think it's the thing that makes it so distinct and cool. I like this album almost as much as Follow The Leader but not quite as much as Paid In Full (which is one of my Top 5 favs). Don't Sweat The Technique is a 4.5 star effort. I like the album a lot, but I can't go through it without skipping a few tracks. I sometimes skip What's Going On too but I can stand to listen to it sometimes.

My vote is for Let The Rhythm Hit Em because I liked the grimy, dark tone of it more and think it was a more consistent album with no skip tracks. 5 stars all day!!

Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 12:00 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
You know, the other night I spun these two albums back to back when Terry and Slang were saying that they liked DSTT better. I disagreed with them, and after spinning these albums again I still disagree.

DSTT probably has the two best songs on either album in Know The Ledge and the title track, but it's not as consistent throughout. There aren't as many 5 star tracks on it, and it has two skip tracks in Relax With Pep and Kick Along.

LTRHE has zero skip tracks, and is a more consistent album. It has really strong tracks like the title track, Untouchables, No Omega, In The Ghetto, Mahogany, Step Back, and Run For Cover among others. On DSTT, the strongest tracks after the first two I mentioned are Casualities of War, Rest Assured, Teach The Children, and What's On Your Mind. Those tracks are good, but they're not on the level of the ones on Let The Rhythm Hit Em IMO.

I also like the dark production on LTRHE, that's probably what sets some people off about the album but I think it's the thing that makes it so distinct and cool. I like this album almost as much as Follow The Leader but not quite as much as Paid In Full (which is one of my Top 5 favs). Don't Sweat The Technique is a 4.5 star effort. I like the album a lot, but I can't go through it without skipping a few tracks. I sometimes skip What's Going On too but I can stand to listen to it sometimes.

My vote is for Let The Rhythm Hit Em because I liked the grimy, dark tone of it more and think it was a more consistent album with no skip tracks. 5 stars all day!!

Well said KJ. I spun LTRHE yesterday and my feelings on the album basically remain the same also. 5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 2:13 pm

DSTT is actually my fav out of all their albums. While that may sound like blasphemy it is what it is. Timeless songs like the title track and Keep The Beat rank this album very high on my all time list.

As for LTRHE, its also a very good album and I also have it ranked very high.

Can't front on Eric B. & Rakim
Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 2:17 pm

Funk Seoul Brother wrote:
DSTT is actually my fav out of all their albums. While that may sound like blasphemy it is what it is. Timeless songs like the title track and Keep The Beat rank this album very high on my all time list.

You picking DSTT as your favorite is not blasphemy at all. We all have our favorites, so even though it's rare that someone would pick this album as their favorite from Eric B & Rakim, don't feel bad about your selection. It does have timeless material on the album.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 5:38 pm

DSTT
Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 6:00 pm

Wayne wrote:
Funk Seoul Brother wrote:

You picking DSTT as your favorite is not blasphemy at all. We all have our favorites, so even though it's rare that someone would pick this album as their favorite from Eric B & Rakim, don't feel bad about your selection. It does have timeless material on the album.

I agree that it isn't blasphemy, but I seriously think that people need to spin LTRHE again sometime. I think people overrate DSTT because of Know The Ledge and the title track.
Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 6:21 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
I seriously think that people need to spin LTRHE again sometime. I think people overrate DSTT because of Know The Ledge and the title track.

Cosign.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 10:57 pm

So KJ you're saying that Don't Sweat The Technique is better than Let The Rhythm Hit Em, Mahogany and In The Ghetto?... Nah buddy....lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 11:56 pm

Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em by just a little bit....there's just a few more quality moments on it as opposed to DDST IMO.....both of them are quality albums though
Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 12:40 am

Highsmith wrote:
So KJ you're saying that Don't Sweat The Technique is better than Let The Rhythm Hit Em, Mahogany and In The Ghetto?... Nah buddy....lol

As a song yes, but LTRHE is still the better album.

Personally, my favorite track on LTRHE is Untouchables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eric B. & Rakim Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric B. & Rakim   Eric B. & Rakim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric B. & Rakim
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: