Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stakes Is High

Go down 
+3
Myestro
T. Myers
Shaun
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

I know De La has a great discography, but this album is my favorite from them, almost classic IMO. Let's discuss.

Stakes Is High Stakes_is_High_album_cover
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

"but this album is my favorite from them, almost classic IMO."

De La has no classics to you? You iz gon get yellllllled at... lol

The only De La album I can really dig is The Grind Date (and Buhloone Mindstate, to a lesser extent)
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 8:55 pm

Shaun wrote:
"but this album is my favorite from them, almost classic IMO."

De La has no classics to you? You iz gon get yellllllled at... lol

The only De La album I can really dig is The Grind Date (and Buhloone Mindstate, to a lesser extent)

Hold up Shaun, I NEVER said De La has no classics, lol. Their first two albums are classics, and everything else after that has been very good to excellent.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 8:59 pm

so you like an album that is not a classic to you more than two albums that are classics?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 9:39 pm

Lol, exactly what I was thinking, Terry.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 9:45 pm

T. Myers wrote:
so you like an album that is not a classic to you more than two albums that are classics?

Stakes Is High has always been my favorite album of mine, and respectively, all I wanted to do was discuss the album, not whether or not I like a "non classic'" more than a "certified classic".
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 9:48 pm

ummm, ok?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

That's cool, Wayne. It's just that you said it's your favorite album by them, and it's almost classic. Just seemed a little strange.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 9:51 pm

Shaun wrote:
That's cool, Wayne. It's just that you said it's your favorite album by them, and it's almost classic. Just seemed a little strange.

Shouldn't be strange. Just a matter of personal preferences that's all.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

Unless I'm way off, I believe he's saying that their first two are pretty much consensus classics (considered by many, if not all). He just likes this one more.

I agree though. This is my favorite by them also.

Itsoweezee >>>>>
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

I don't care about consensus. Either they are classics or they are not. If they are not classics to him, he should just say so. I couldn't care less one way or the other, but his stance doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, this is their 4th best album at best.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm

Myestro wrote:
I believe he's saying that their first two are pretty much consensus classics (considered by many, if not all). He just likes this one more.

Cosign.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I don't care about consensus. Either they are classics or they are not. If they are not classics to him, he should just say so. I couldn't care less one way or the other, but his stance doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, this is their 4th best album at best.

Well, maybe he considers this a "personal classic". Honestly, I think the word "classic" gets thrown around way too loosely in this forum. Along with the "coveted" 5-star rating. Some users give those out like candy on Halloween.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm

Myestro wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Well, maybe he considers this a "personal classic". Honestly, I think the word "classic" gets thrown around way too loosely in this forum. Along with the "coveted" 5-star rating. Some users give those out like candy on Halloween.

Stakes Is High would be considered a personal classic to me. And I cosign on the comments regarding "classics" and the "coveted 5 star rating". And with that being said, you just gave me an idea for a new thread Myestro.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:49 pm

I love Stakes Is High. It's a 4.5 star album IMO but I can objectively see it as a classic.

3 Feet High, De La Is Dead, and The Grind Date are 5 star albums IMO.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 9:57 am

Stakes Is High is my second favorite De La Soul album behind 3 Feet High and Rising. So yeah, I like this.
Back to top Go down
boet
The REAL Ninja 'Round These Parts
boet

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

Lol, just read this thread now an realised why that classic thread was created.

Ahhhhh this album is fokken cool.. Love it, love it love it, I can still remember listening to it for the first time and thinking it was the business nearly ev track is a heater.

This coupled with de la is dead are two phenomenal pieces of work
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 4:03 pm

Sinj wrote:

Ahhhhh this album is fokken cool.. Love it, love it love it, I can still remember listening to it for the first time and thinking it was the business nearly ev track is a heater.

Yeah man, I also think 3 Feet is pretty damn nice. But De La Soul Is Dead is definitely #3 for me.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 5:01 pm

Sinj wrote:

No spelling fucking "fokken" is fucking cool to me!!!!!!!!!....lol.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 5:03 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Sinj wrote:

I think the way he spelled it is fokken cool
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 9:14 pm

De La's first two albums are hip hop classics REGARDLESS if you personally like them or not
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 9:16 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
De La's first two albums are hip hop classics REGARDLESS if you personally like them or not

Lol word
Back to top Go down
boet
boet

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 4:28 am

Half wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Sinj wrote:

Lol, watch district nine again. Its how we pronounce it.

As for three feet high, I've only really spun the album a couple o times in its entirety. I've heard all the singles, maybe its time to revisit an find some gems
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 5:40 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

Exactly what I meant by consensus classics.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 5:42 pm

Sinj wrote:
Half wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Sinj wrote:

Lol, watch district nine again. Its how we pronounce it.

As for three feet high, I've only really spun the album a couple o times in its entirety. I've heard all the singles, maybe its time to revisit an find some gems

You're in South Africa? I know you're not from the U.S., but don't think I was around to find out where you're from.

And I thought they pronounced it "fookin". Maybe I need my ears checked.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 5:47 pm

De La has one of the best overall discogs period. None of their albums are below 3.5 stars IMO, and the only one I have rated that low is AOI Bionix.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 5:51 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
De La has one of the best overall discogs period. None of their albums are below 3.5 stars IMO, and the only one I have rated that low is AOI Bionix.

They do have one of the best overall discogs KJ, I cosign there. They're one of the groups that have gotten better as the years went by.
Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 5:56 pm

Wayne wrote:
Eastern Rap Pro wrote:

They do have one of the best overall discogs KJ, I cosign there. They're one of the groups that have gotten better as the years went by.

Yeah they've always been consistent. Posdnous is one of the most underrated MC's in history. He ranks somewhere in my Top 30 overall.

"Fuck being hard, Posdnous is COMPLICATED"- In The Woods
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 1:15 am

I agree KJ. De La does have one of the best discographies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stakes Is High Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stakes Is High   Stakes Is High Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stakes Is High
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Old Skool Hip Hop-
Jump to: