Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)

Go down 
+3
Justin Linker
D.Powell
Alan
7 posters

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither?
Top 50
100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Vote_lcap0%100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Top 100
100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Vote_lcap40%100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Vote_rcap
 40% [ 6 ]
Neither
100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Vote_lcap60%100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Vote_rcap
 60% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Empty
PostSubject: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 7:09 am

Dayton Family
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 8:39 am

neither, not even my top 150 probably
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 8:44 am

Not familiar enough to vote.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 9:17 am

LOL, I gotta laugh

this group is not one of the top 100 hip-hop acts of all-time whether I'm familiar with all their works or not, and I'm not completely but from what I've heard they ain't top 100...they score low in a lot of voting categories for me...I mean yesterday I voted neither for The Fugees and in the past I voted neither for Eightball and MJG, 3-6 Mafia, Keith Murray, WC and The Maad Circle,The Beatnuts

The Dayton Family would not beat any of those groups/emcees above..IMO

neither fits them quite nicely
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 10:27 am

lol @ Powell.

Personally, Dayton Family is top 100. They dropped nothing but heaters IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 10:32 am

Dayton Family is in my top 100. What's On My Mind, FBI, and Death Before dishonesty still get plenty of spins from me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 10:40 am

Powell, you're a hypocrite.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 1:06 pm

Can't vote this time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 3:13 pm

D.Powell wrote:
LOL, I gotta laugh

this group is not one of the top 100 hip-hop acts of all-time whether I'm familiar with all their works or not, and I'm not completely but from what I've heard they ain't top 100...they score low in a lot of voting categories for me...I mean yesterday I voted neither for The Fugees and in the past I voted neither for Eightball and MJG, 3-6 Mafia, Keith Murray, WC and The Maad Circle,The Beatnuts

Now Powell that is kind of disrespectful to the folks who are really feeling them. Why it gotta be "lol" and ish like that? Honestly Dayton Fam can be compared to a lot of the people we have nominated that are undaground to mid level artists. Any true fan of gangsta rap knows who they are and they have at least one most would say two classics. I can objectively see them not making the top 100 but they are nothing to laugh at or treat like they don't matter. Bootleg and Shoestring got skills.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 3:41 pm

All I've heard is FBI and it was tight but I need to hear more from them to make a vote.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009, 6:45 pm

Dwight check out What's On My Mind or Welcome To The Dopehouse don't let the generic name fool you on the latter it is far from typical "trap" music.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 12:00 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Dwight check out What's On My Mind or Welcome To The Dopehouse don't let the generic name fool you on the latter it is far from typical "trap" music.

Alright thanks, I'll check those.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 12:40 pm

KRob86 wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
LOL, I gotta laugh

Now Powell that is kind of disrespectful to the folks who are really feeling them. Why it gotta be "lol" and ish like that? Honestly Dayton Fam can be compared to a lot of the people we have nominated that are undaground to mid level artists. Any true fan of gangsta rap knows who they are and they have at least one most would say two classics. I can objectively see them not making the top 100 but they are nothing to laugh at or treat like they don't matter. Bootleg and Shoestring got skills.

I know they have limited skills Kev and I apologize for the laughter but I honestly don't see these guys as a top 100 hip-hop of all-time....now if I was ranking specific eras then they would probably get in but of all-time?? no way man...I think what alot of heads on here fail to realize is that all-time means exactly that, and alot of these heads just started listening to hip-hop within the last 5 to 10 years so they don't go back far enough with the culture to really know what ALL-TIME really means man....ALL-TIME means probably before your time..(not yours Kev, but specific heads on here)....heads who would actually put Haystak in the top 50..LOL...or Esham in the top 50...yeah right...or many others who are nowhere near top 50 or top 100 material...for many different reasons...heads take it as an insult if their favorite artist can't get in because only them and a select few view that particular artist as important to the culture..lol

it's funny to me Kev but it is what it is..maybe you should've just ranked specific eras top 100 or top 50 so these guys actually begin to start making more sense....because they really don't know what ALL-TIME means.....they haven't beeen listening long enough to know what that means...NO DISRESPECT TO ANYONE WHO WILL READ THIS AND TAKE OFFENSE TO IT...it's my opinion fellas...

Last edited by D.Powell on Sat 20 Jun 2009, 1:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 12:51 pm

N3R0 of 0nslaught3r wrote:

this is a perfect example of a dough-dough bird right here...

N3RO in the past has been very disrespectful to a group like Run-D.M.C. for example!

he said they were not advanced, very basic, and even had the nerve to call them corny once,a nd he shitted all over "Peter Piper" which is probably one of the greatest displays of actual dj'ing in hip-hop history, of course now there is no such thing as a DJ?? in N3RO eyes he's like what the FUCK is a dj??

now in the 80's that group was advanced, that group was very important to hip-hop culture, that group is probably the reason he who lives in Iowa was even exposed to this great culture...that group probably in some direct or indirect way inspired Haystak to even pick up a microphone, but because they were waaay before his 23 year old time, he deems them as has-beens, not that important to the culture, I bet they wouldn't even make his top 200 of all-time...

not enough knowledge means you have no idea what ALL-TIME means...you don't know enough to make a informed decision...and yes N3RO I know more than my share about these newer cats even your beloved Haystak whom I find quite WACK...if he's not then recommend some shit to me so I can make just as an informed decision about him as you...lol

I say we start ranking specific eras instead of ALL-TIME.....let's rank the era of hip-hop that N3RO is aware of...that Jason is aware of...etc..etc...ALL-TIME is asking too much man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 12:57 pm

D.Powell wrote:
N3R0 of 0nslaught3r wrote:

this is a perfect example of a dough-dough bird right here...

N3RO in the past has been very disrespectful to a group like Run-D.M.C. for example!

he said they were not advanced, very basic, and even had the nerve to call them corny once,a nd he shitted all over "Peter Piper" which is probably one of the greatest displays of actual dj'ing in hip-hop history, of course now there is no such thing as a DJ?? in N3RO eyes he's like what the FUCK is a dj??

now in the 80's that group was advanced, that group was very important to hip-hop culture, that group is probably the reason he who lives in Iowa was even exposed to this great culture...that group probably in some direct or indirect way inspired Haystak to even pick up a microphone, but because they were waaay before his 23 year old time, he deems them as has-beens, not that important to the culture, I bet they wouldn't even make his top 200 of all-time...

not enough knowledge means you have no idea what ALL-TIME means...you don't know enough to make a informed decision...and yes N3RO I know more than my share about these newer cats even your beloved Haystak whom I find quite WACK...if he's not then recommend some shit to me so I can make just as an informed decision about him as you...lol

I say we start ranking specific eras instead of ALL-TIME.....let's rank the era of hip-hop that N3RO is aware of...that Jason is aware of...etc..etc...ALL-TIME is asking too much man!

N3RO just likes to start fights with people not named Steve, SRP, or Shon. So don't even sweat what he says Powell. That combined with the fact that Haystak is his GOAT is laughable!

If it weren't for Run-DMC, people like Haystak, El-P, and the Dayton Fam would be working at fast food joints.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 2:29 pm

Alright fellas, I'm tired of this nonsense. according to some, only people who were actually capable of enjoying hip hop in 1985 are qualified to rank the top 100 artists of all time? That's wrong. Sure their opinions may be different, but they are not any less valid. secondly, Run DMC made rap a possibility for a lot of people. it doesn't mean they are better. Run DMC made hip hop possible for dudes like Biggie and Nas too, but I guess that was easy to forget when there are bigger names like El-P and Stak to mention. Thirdly, why does anyone have the right to tell N3R0 how he should feel about Stak. I'd be shocked if more than 5 people on this forum have heard an album from him. Maybe it's because he's a goofy redneck. Maybe it's because he's a fat white dude. Maybe it's becuase you don't take N3R0's opinions seriously. Either way it's BS and unacceptable. Y'all want to sing the praises of Nas and his Untitled album because it speaks to you, but then knock Stak because he speaks to N3R0. If that's not BS, i don't know what is. If you haven't walked a mile in N3R0's shoes, you couldn't speak intelligently as to why Stak's music is so important to him, and in turn, Why Stak is one of his favorite artists. Have you guys forgot why hip hop touched you so much when you were younger? Is it not possible for Stak to do that to others?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 3:43 pm

Powell I was saying in terms of evolution Run DMC is quite laughable. People like El-P for example actually brought the DJ into the 21st century but you have no respect for him. I don't have Stak as my GOAT but probably as my personal favorite artist. What you seem to miss every time you open your mouth is that you like to speak on different topics and try to blend them into one.

Run DMC-Advanced for their time? Absolutely. Greatest chemistry of all time? Definitely. One of the greatest group to ever do it? Undoubtedly.

What happens is you like to talk about people like Chino XL, Ras Kass, Canibus, ETC ETC ETC and then big up cats like Run DMC when the comparison is laughable. OF COURSE Chino is going to be more advanced then those dudes, they INFLUENCED him when he was growing up so you'd hope he'd take the art form farther. Every time you disagree with me you like to throw these bullshit comments into it which is why I don't take your opinions seriously anymore and just say shit to piss you off because frankly that's all you do to me. The fact that you CONSTANTLY bring up how I have "no right to speak on" arist x because I was born in the 80's doesn't seem to apply to you being unable to speak on anything post 1995. BY THAT LOGIC YOU CAN'T SPEAK ON STAK OR EL-P AND NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO. I don't agree with that conclusion but that's why you're a hypocrite. This whole tirade I'm writing will fall on deaf ears because frankly you don't seem to post on these forums to do anything but hear yourself talk. Every time I make a point you ignore it, twist it, or turn it into some other shit.

Awhile ago a dude I USED to respect on these forums told me it's possible I don't get into Untitled as much because I'm white. After being offended at first, I realized that yeah, they're probably right. So maybe you guys should take your own fucking advice and not speak on shit you don't know anything about.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 4:44 pm

Everything you just said N3RO was bullshit my dude, Of course I can comment about hip-hop after 1995 idiot, I never stopped listening after that time period, the only way I couldn't comment was if I suddenly stopped listening which I never did so that comment makes absolutely NO SENSE....stop taking what Jason said was a time period (1995) and using it for your words too, that's WACK man

Like I said Kev should do a top 100 for a specific time period or era, because you and others on here haven't been listening long enough to know about ALL TIME period my dude, I'm going to stick with what I said earlier...it's too late now because the "top 100 of ALL-TIME" has already begun...it'll be interesting to see this shit when it's finally over..LMAO!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 4:52 pm

Oh and Terry, FUCK HAYSTAK man, as far as skills on the mic, dude is WACK, he maybe "touching" N3RO all over his body and mind but his skills on the mic are WACK man and this is my opinion on him, I offered N3RO the opportunity to change my opinion by presenting me with some quality Haystak material and of course he had NONE...

Haystak is wack to me, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he's white, who cares, his skills on that mic device are quite "basic"...lol..sound familiar N3RO???

offer up some listening material N3RO and I'll be glad to listen man!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 4:58 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Oh and Terry, FUCK HAYSTAK man, as far as skills on the mic, dude is WACK, he maybe "touching" N3RO all over his body and mind but his skills on the mic are WACK man and this is my opinion on him, I offered N3RO the opportunity to change my opinion by presenting me with some quality Haystak material and of course he had NONE...

Haystak is wack to me, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he's white, who cares, his skills on that mic device are quite "basic"...lol..sound familiar N3RO???

offer up some listening material N3RO and I'll be glad to listen man!

see, that right there shows me your not familiar with Haystak, and by the off chance that you are, he probably got the Blazing Arrow treatment from you. Lyrically, Stak would get a lot of these late 80's MC's that you big up, but it's whatever. you completely missed the point of my post, or you chose not to respond to my post because you lack anything of substance on the matter. Listen To Car Fulla Whiteboys, From Start To Finish, or Crackavelli, and then we will talk about Stak. Stak is far from wack, but i should expect as much from someone who said Puba was top 5 dead or alive at one time.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:06 pm

I said that in NYC Grand Puba in the early 90's right around the time you discovered the damn culture was thought of as a top 5 emcee....you've been struggling with that concept ever since I said it for some stupid reason...my top 5 back then was

1.Rakim
2.KRS-One
3.LL Cool J
4.Big Daddy Kane
5.Kool G Rap

so it has changed a little up to 2009 but in say 1991 that was my top five of all-time and in that order

I'll peep all those works your referring too, because from what I've heard dude is quite BASIC...is he a top 20 emcee for you Terry??? does he make the cut man???
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:12 pm

D.Powell wrote:
I said that in NYC Grand Puba in the early 90's right around the time you discovered the damn culture was thought of as a top 5 emcee....you've been struggling with that concept ever since I said it for some stupid reason...my top 5 back then was

1.Rakim
2.KRS-One
3.LL Cool J
4.Big Daddy Kane
5.Kool G Rap

so it has changed a little up to 2009 but in say 1991 that was my top five of all-time and in that order

I'll peep all those works your referring too, because from what I've heard dude is quite BASIC...is he a top 20 emcee for you Terry??? does he make the cut man???

Stak is not in my top 20. My top 20 is probably east coast heavy. All i'm saying is that Stak touches on a lot of personal stuff, and it is not out of the realm of possibility for N3R0 to favor him more than some others.

Also, If people in NYC were putting Puba in their top 5, They were about as dumb as it gets. Add to your list Chuck D and Cube. Puba wasn't touching any of them. So if the mecca of hip hop can't get it right, i have to seriously question the mecca of hip hop
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:16 pm

Puba was pretty nasty my dude so I could see heads feeling that way but keep in mind in that time period alot of dudes in NYC were nasty...so to some heads Puba was top five

In like 2000 alot of heads were saying the same thing about Jadakiss, it's their opinions my dude just like N3RO's opinion is that 'Stak is top 2 of all-time...

but you who has about 20 NYC emcees in his top 20 of all-time can never question the Mecca my dude stop that...lol..now I could question the hell outta Tennesse but you could never question NYC right???? LMAO!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:19 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Puba was pretty nasty my dude so I could see heads feeling that way but keep in mind in that time period alot of dudes in NYC were nasty...so to some heads Puba was top five

In like 2000 alot of heads were saying the same thing about Jadakiss, it's their opinions my dude just like N3RO's opinion is that 'Stak is top 2 of all-time...

but you who has about 20 NYC emcees in his top 20 of all-time can never question the Mecca my dude stop that...lol..now I could question the hell outta Tennesse but you could never question NYC right???? LMAO!

LOL! I'm not really questioning NYC, but you and I know that saying Puba was top 5 is a bit of a stretch. Top 10 seems more realistic
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:23 pm

from what I saw back then on most heads lists the only two constants were Rakim and Kris, that's it

everyone else seemed to be interchangeable depending on who you were talking too...so that's probably why Puba made alot of heads list....Rakim and Kris were on everybody's and then you could switch around the other emcee's but the talent level back then was completely sick so this type of atmosphere made sense man....there was alot of dopeness to choose from...Heavy D even made a few lists man...I heard him mentioned too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:31 pm

T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

LOL! I'm not really questioning NYC, but you and I know that saying Puba was top 5 is a bit of a stretch. Top 10 seems more realistic

While I agree that Puba was never Top 5 to me as a solo artist, that makes a lot more sense than Haystak being number 2 of all time. I have heard Haystak, and I'm honestly not impressed with him at all. He makes Paul Wall sound like Eminem.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm just saying.

What pisses me off though is that the only people that get fucked with on opinions are myself, Powell, and to a lesser extent Alan. It's fuckin LAME! I say that Royce isn't a GOAT and a million people jump down my throat, but then N3R0 can say "fuck every MC on the East Coast" and it's ok. That's fuckin LAME, and completely inexcusable.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 5:36 pm

"I say that Royce isn't a GOAT and a million people jump down my throat"

No, you said that Lupe was 1000x more lyrical than Royce, and everyone jumped down your throat, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)   100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Nominee Day 61 (B)
Page 1 of 1