Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Empty
PostSubject: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm

Anybody heard this? Of him? I just downloaded the album. I lskimmed it on itunes and the dude is nice. Nothing that origianl but he's also no carbon copy. Got a Blu, Lupe, Fashawn type thing going. Str8 outta Compton though:

Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) KLOD

I got a link.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 11:12 pm

pass so fasss and sooo quik
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 1:35 am

Yeah, I bought it (only 5$) and jammed it the other day. I posted about in recent spins. It's alright. His voice sounds a little Lil Wayney at times which bothers me some. His verses are generally pretty dope, but the hooks aren't great, and the song concepts, like you mentioned, have been done before.

His freestyle over Kanye's Monster is the best/only thing I've heard from him besides this album.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:59 am

I'm going to peep the album while at work today. I heard some of it and its seems decent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 12:46 pm

okay I listened to it and I am only speaking on the 13trk version. The dude was lyrical talent and he seems to have a grip on creating subject matter. He was to be one of the most different rappers to ever come out of Compton. But when outside of those bounderies he falls in with the Curren$y's, Wiz's, and Drake's. Kanye and Lil Wayne have truly influenced this new wave of emcees biiiiig time.

I truly feel most diverse tasted members will dig this whole album or something on it easily. Check him out. I got this at a 3.75 for now.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 1:17 pm

I heard about this dude awhile back, some dude on lastfm was telling me to peep him. Shit was cool from what I heard, and I will mos def pick up his album if I ever come across it, but not when they are digital. I hate digital releases.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 1:19 pm

I dunno... like 9 out of the 10 dudes this guy is compared to don't appeal to me... so he won't appeal to me... just being from another city doesn't make him any fresher than the next man doing the same style.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

I like that style, so it's easy for me to dig him (no homo).
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but really this didn't deserve a new thread. I peeped this today, and i can safely say that i don't see why this dude has any hype. He's in the same mold of Drake and Big Sean IMO. He may be slightly more lyrical, but boring nonetheless. anyone else confused as to why this dude gets props?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but really this didn't deserve a new thread. I peeped this today, and i can safely say that i don't see why this dude has any hype. He's in the same mold of Drake and Big Sean IMO. He may be slightly more lyrical, but boring nonetheless. anyone else confused as to why this dude gets props?

I am. I mean there's nothing wrong with him and I spun OD once or twice and could see why some people would like him, but he's nothing new. He's a whinier version of Big Sean IMO. Out of those three I do prefer Drake, but I wouldn't go around telling anyone he's the next top lyrical rapper or anything.

Kendrick I mainly can't get over his whiny voice and lifeless flow.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

I agree that Drake is the most talented of the 3, but i doubt we will see that Drake anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

I would defend Kendrick, but idk what to say if you don't like his voice or flow. I'm a big fan. I wasn't when I first heard this (as you can see from my post up there ^), but as i heard more and more, the more I liked his stuff. I personally don't think Drake or Big Sean are anywhere even close to K-Dot (they have no similarities other than being young imo). He is easily more lyrical and conscious, plus he doesn't have the wack ass affiliation influences of a Young Money or a G.O.O.D. Music.

I can kind of understand the boring/lifeless flow arguments but he doesn't spit like that always:

Also, his freestyles to 'Monster' & 6'7" are raw as fuck.

...I guess that is defending him... idk
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

I'll take any and all of Drake's stuff before Young Money over this dude. Don't get me wrong. Drake has his and Young Money's agenda now, but before all that, he was better than this dude.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

Also, i wouldn't call KL more lyrical than Drake. More conscious? Sure, but certainly not lyrical.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Also, i wouldn't call KL more lyrical than Drake. More conscious? Sure, but certainly not lyrical.

T. Myers wrote:

You did call him more lyrical lol. Idk I just am not a fan of Wheelchair Jimmy at all, though i have heard very little of his pre-YM stuff. Can you rec me something?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

If you define "conscious" as rapping about the consequences of hood life then yes KL takes it, if you consider it talking about more than material things then I don't thin KL takes that either. Lyrics I would give to drake, even with his post young money material, I think people are underestimating him. I know his voice gets on my nerves, but I did try to get past it and lyrically he just doesn't do enough to overcome it.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

thelundquist wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

T. Myers wrote:

You did call him more lyrical lol. Idk I just am not a fan of Wheelchair Jimmy at all, though i have heard very little of his pre-YM stuff. Can you rec me something?

Yeah, that was directed to Big Sean.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

T. Myers wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

T. Myers wrote:

Yeah, that was directed to Big Sean.

I figured, but i couldn't not bring it up.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
If you define "conscious" as rapping about the consequences of hood life then yes KL takes it, if you consider it talking about more than material things then I don't thin KL takes that either. Lyrics I would give to drake, even with his post young money material, I think people are underestimating him. I know his voice gets on my nerves, but I did try to get past it and lyrically he just doesn't do enough to overcome it.

My definition would be the former then, i guess. I've never really thought Drake was all that lyrical (again a subjective term), but maybe that's just because he uses that hash tag flow so much, which really gets on my nerves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)   Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kendrick Lamar O.D. (Overly Dedicated)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: New Skool Hip Hop-
Jump to: