Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who's more POPULAR?

Go down 
+7
D.Powell
Norfeest
Funk Seoul Brother
TheHazardous
Laced With Slang
T. Myers
parker lewis
11 posters

Who?
Marley
Who's more POPULAR? Vote_lcap93%Who's more POPULAR? Vote_rcap
 93% [ 13 ]
Hendrix
Who's more POPULAR? Vote_lcap7%Who's more POPULAR? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage

Who's more POPULAR? Empty
PostSubject: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 9:28 pm

Bob Marley or Jimi Hendrix

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

vs.

Last edited by KRob TheRapGod on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 9:57 pm

I think Marley is more popular.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 9:59 pm

Marley by far...his legacy is greater than his music. He was a leader of people.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm

Marley without question.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 10:05 pm

Marley is more popular, if the question was who is more talented it would be much harder to pick
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 10:14 pm

Bobby has an entire region on lock.

You can't even talk Reggae without bringing him up. He's like a cornerstone.

Jimi was a man of era and will never be forgotten by real Rock enthusiasts.

A weird form of proof:

Jimi-
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
$10.58
Best Seller Rank: 61900

Bobby-
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
$12.99
Bestseller Rank: 49592

Bobby is more popular but only slightly more so. As stated above Bobby changed how people thought about life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 10:16 pm

Marley, pretty easily.

I don't consider either person's music to be that amazing personally, but although I can enjoy Reggae I'm not that impressed by it musically. All respect due though.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 10:40 pm

Bob. A case could me made for him as the most iconic artist period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm

Bob Marley all day. He's the Michael Jackson of Reggae. Truly the gold standard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 1:33 pm

Bump.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 6:28 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Marley is more popular, if the question was who is more talented it would be much harder to pick

I don't see that. Hendrix had more technical skill than Marley, IMO.

Co-Sign what Cise said, though...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 7:07 pm

Cise wrote:

Michael Jackson is the most iconic artist, but Bob Marley is definitely near the top of the list.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 10:36 pm

Norfeest wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

I don't see that. Hendrix had more technical skill than Marley, IMO.

Co-Sign what Cise said, though...

he had more technical skill yes, but for Marley's genre it can be argued he was just as talented compared to other reggae artists, but yea i would say Jimi is more talented overall as well
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Michael Jackson is the most iconic artist, but Bob Marley is definitely near the top of the list.

That's highly debatable. It depends on the generation of the person you ask.

Being an islander maybe I'm biased.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 10:58 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Cise wrote:

that may have been the most debatable statement you have ever stated as fact, and you state a lot of things as facts that are debatable
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 12:33 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Cise wrote:

that may have been the most debatable statement you have ever stated as fact, and you state a lot of things as facts that are debatable

I love and respect Bob Marley and his legacy, but MJ changed the face of the music industry and has inspired (and continues to inspire) recording artists in EVERY genre. He is hands down the most iconic artist in history regardless of how someone may feel about him personally.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 12:40 am

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Cise wrote:

I love and respect Bob Marley and his legacy, but MJ changed the face of the music industry and has inspired (and continues to inspire) recording artists in EVERY genre. He is hands down the most iconic artist in history regardless of how someone may feel about him personally.

that assertion of fact may be he most ridiculous statement i have ever heard. I mean, there are so many acts you can argue. Elvis, the Beatles, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, Madonna. There is NO clear cut "most iconic", to make an assertion like that is LUDICROUS
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 1:04 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
that assertion of fact may be he most ridiculous statement i have ever heard. I mean, there are so many acts you can argue. Elvis, the Beatles, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, Madonna. There is NO clear cut "most iconic", to make an assertion like that is LUDICROUS

Agree with you there. There are plenty of acts/artists that can take that "title". At the end of the day there is no clear cut winner but that's not a bad thing at all.

Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 9:29 am

I agree with Slang. I don't have a problem with someone thinking MJ is the most iconic, but there are other acts/artists that can make that claim as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 9:31 am

There are no other artist who can make that claim. MJ was the most iconic music figure to date. There are plenty of artist that can get near him but in due time MJ would win.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 9:49 am

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
There are no other artist who can make that claim. MJ was the most iconic music figure to date. There are plenty of artist that can get near him but in due time MJ would win.

You are wrong sir. As much as i loathe his music, Elvis has more than enough credentials to be on MJ's level, and don't even get me started on The Beatles. There is a reason MJ made more money on the Beatles catalog than he did his own before his death.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 10:46 am

Even though MJ's musical fandom is formidable, you don't see his picture hanging in windows around the world. I'm not arguing that he may very well be the most popular entertainer of all time, but Marley was more than that. Marley helped inspire government upheavals. Throughout Europe and Africa, even in the US to a lesser extent, Marley is still the international face of freedom and struggle against oppression.

Look up what happens in Jamaica every year on his birthday. Kingston turns into a literal mecca for followers and believers, not merely fans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 11:00 am

T. Myers wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:

You are wrong sir. As much as i loathe his music, Elvis has more than enough credentials to be on MJ's level, and don't even get me started on The Beatles. There is a reason MJ made more money on the Beatles catalog than he did his own before his death.

Aren't you living in Tennessee right now? So I can see why you think Elvis has the credentials. But Elvis is a mega star only in America especially rurally. But once you go outside our boarders its over. Elvis is not that mega world wide.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 11:10 am

Me living in Tennesse has nothing to do with this convo at all. I despise virtually everything about the man. The fact that i've seen the impact he's had on people in and out of Tennessee is what makes him a music and cultural icon. You also underestimate his foreign appeal.

Now that Elvis is out of the way, would you care to tackle the Beatles?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 11:18 am

T. Myers wrote:
Me living in Tennesse has nothing to do with this convo at all. I despise virtually everything about the man. The fact that i've seen the impact he's had on people in and out of Tennessee is what makes him a music and cultural icon. You also underestimate his foreign appeal.

Now that Elvis is out of the way, would you care to tackle the Beatles?

The Beatles are debatable but they would lose eventually to MJ also. There appeal and fandom will stop at certain race and cultural points MJ's will not.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm

Cise wrote:

I agree that Bob is more popular here but as far as the "most iconic" artist ever then I would go with Michael Jackson on that subject

Artists with the popular and iconic thing going on include IMO: in no particular order

Bob Marley
Michael Jackson
Elvis Presley
Madonna
Prince
Jimi Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Prince
Eric Clapton
Elton John
Tupac
Biggie
Garth Brooks

and I would honestly say I think Mike is leading that entire list again IN MY OPINION
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 1:38 pm

The Beatles are far more popular worldwide than MJ Kev, sorry, and its not even close, really. They've sold over 100 million more albums worldwide, and probably more. Again, you have a problem of not looking at the facts before stating your responses. You are the one who is limiting your view to a cultural standpoint, not Terry. Even in the US alone, they have sold OVER 100 million more.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 1:42 pm

Marley.

I prefer Hendrix however.

Both great musicians.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 1:59 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
The Beatles are far more popular worldwide than MJ Kev, sorry, and its not even close, really. They've sold over 100 million more albums worldwide, and probably more. Again, you have a problem of not looking at the facts before stating your responses. You are the one who is limiting your view to a cultural standpoint, not Terry. Even in the US alone, they have sold OVER 100 million more.

The Beatles have sold more than MJ no doubt. But let's look at it like this.

Beatles had no true comp in their era so of course they made an impact. They were the 1st major band to hit big so they had a real big head start. MJ hit it big in one of the most competitive era's maybe period. MJ transcends race and cultural bias. The Beatles do not. Can you not see that?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 2:04 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

Beatles had no true comp in their era so of course they made an impact. They were the 1st major band to hit big so they had a real big head start. MJ hit it big in one of the most competitive era's maybe period. MJ transcends race and cultural bias. The Beatles do not. Can you not see that?

I agree with everything you said about MJ. However, I feel like The Beatles are still more popular today for some reason.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 2:27 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

The Beatles had no true competition? The Who? Rolling Stones? Jimi Hendrix Experience? Elvis? Pink Floyd? Led Zeppelin? The Beach Boys?

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 2:29 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

The Beatles had no true competition? The Who? Rolling Stones? Jimi Hendrix Experience? Elvis? Pink Floyd? Led Zeppelin? The Beach Boys?

The people that liked those bands at that time probably liked The Beatles as well though
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 2:35 pm

Half wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

The people that liked those bands at that time probably liked The Beatles as well though

So wouldn't all these bands be "competing" for the same fans?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 2:36 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Half wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

So wouldn't all these bands be "competing" for the same fans?

Yeah. Don't worry man I'm just bored and talking out of my ass
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 2:39 pm

LOL, no worries here. MJ would be my pick as well if for no other reason than being born in the 80's and seeing MJ's impact first hand. Not to mention i only care for about half the Beatles career.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 4:06 pm

The Beatles and MJ thing is just going to have to be an agree to disagree thing. I am not the most knowledgeable about The Beatles but I known a little. And growing up in the MJ era is a big factor on why I feel MJ was bigger. So I agree with you on that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 5:14 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Cise wrote:

Dude, you're the one who said that you're gonna state how you feel without putting "in my opinion" after your statements, so why can't I do the same? Sounds hypocritical to me.

Are there other artists that one can make a case for? Sure there are, but I feel that MJ is the most iconic for the reasons I listed above. It's that simple.

As for your case for the Beatles, yeah they sold more records BUT as Kev mentioned they really had no fierce competiton other than maybe the Rolling Stones. Not to mention that Thriller is still the biggest selling album of all time.

Also unlike the Beatles, Michael appeals to people of all races and cultures. I liked the Beatles personally but most non-rock fans can take them or leave them. Alos, they kinda fell off to me near the end of their run. Everything Michael did was dope save for Invincible. Plus, I'd venture to say that there's more artists that wanted to dance and perform like MJ than the Beatles.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 5:31 pm

Yeah I would have to agree that Mike appealed to more races than the Beatles did although The Beatles would be number 2 on my list, they are right there as well
Back to top Go down
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 6:21 pm

''has inspired (and continues to inspire) recording artists in EVERY genre.''

Maybe in popular music genres yes, but not art music.

Powell, about that list u posted. imo there should be James Brown included.

I dont know who is the most iconic artist, but most greatest has to be someone like Beethoven. All others already mentioned in this topic are nothing compared to him.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 6:24 pm

Everyone in this thread just got owned
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

PKT wrote:
''has inspired (and continues to inspire) recording artists in EVERY genre.''

Maybe in popular music genres yes, but not art music.

Powell, about that list u posted. imo there should be James Brown included.

I dont know who is the most iconic artist, but most greatest has to be someone like Beethoven. All others already mentioned in this topic are nothing compared to him.

Laughing My Ass Off

&

Get The Fuck Out

Much respect to Beethoven but that is some crazy shit. I understand as far as the art of music goes he is one of the best or his field but MJ and these others will always mean more to music than him.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 7:21 pm

If it weren't for BEETHOVEN, there would be NO MICHEAL JACKSON... NO WILLIE "DAMN" D... NO 2 LIVE CREW Kev!!!! LMAO!!!!
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

Shaun wrote:
If it weren't for BEETHOVEN, there would be NO MICHEAL JACKSON... NO WILLIE "DAMN" D... NO 2 LIVE CREW Kev!!!! LMAO!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 8:29 pm

Shaun wrote:

You believe that bullshit. Ah music existed looong before Beetov. And has long existed after his ass. He has wrote masterpieces to certain people but in the grand scheme of music he is apart of the music legacy not the legacy. Stop overhyping....please.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 9:23 pm

smh. Did it seem like I was serious?
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 9:43 pm

THERE IS TO BE NO JOKING AROUND ON THIS FORUM! Who's more POPULAR? 365284
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm

Shaun wrote:
smh. Did it seem like I was serious?

SMH....yes it did. My fault...lol.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Nov 2010, 11:57 pm

I'm confused
Back to top Go down
PKT
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 7:46 am

KRob, i think u understood me wrong. I meant that by musically, thats why i said that i dont know who is the biggest icon.

Musically those others are nothing compared to him.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Nov 2010, 7:45 pm

Going with Marley on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's more POPULAR?   Who's more POPULAR? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who's more POPULAR?
Page 1 of 1